3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   IP Monthly Chat February 2010 Continued #3 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/194723-ip-monthly-chat-february-2010-continued-3-a.html)

committed1 02-23-2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skittlescda (Post 3164725)
Something I don't quite understand. We are allowed 3 protein packs per day and only one restricted. It's very strongly recommended by Dr. Tran that no less than 3 IP packs are eaten each day.

I've noticed that some people stay away from the restricted items because they feel they'll lose faster but this is not the way the IP diet plan is supposed to work and I'm wondering if this in only making it harder for some people to get through a day and why they can't fill up on veggies and salad.

I have to wonder, for those who are having 3 IP packs a day and staying away from bars (restricted items) are the 50 extra calories per day (puddings are 90-110 calories and most bars are 140-160 calories) going to make that much difference if you are following the diet otherwise.

I'm thinking ENJOY a bar if you want....ENJOY Chocolate soys or BBQ puffs, why make this any harder than it has to be. Having these treats may make it all that much easier to get to your goal faster and you will feel less deprived. When my older kids are watching TV (glued to the Olympics) and they are eating chips and dips....I'm enjoying my BBQ soy puffs and not feeling like I'm missing out on a thing.

Just my two cents.
Happy Sunday all you lovely people ;-)

Re: the restricted items....some are just more sensitive to carbs and the restricted items have more carbs. Even though it isn't a huge difference, it could make the difference for some.

I am on week 7 and have decided to not go for the restricted items because the ones my coach offers they only want use to have 1 per WEEK (not per day) and buying a box ($30) to have so few...doesn't make sense to me.

My coach wouldn't even let me consider them until after the first month, then it wasn't really recommended to get them until at least week 6 AND THEN, it was recommended to just stay away if my goal was large weight loss numbers AND I wasn't struggling. That could just be my coach.

Personally, I am getting into a pattern with what I am doing and am okay with it and still losing an average of 4lbs a week. It would be nice to have some of the puffs for snacking, but I am not suffering.

However, you have excellent advice for those that have the restricted items and like to enjoy them. I wouldn't feel guilty about enjoying it!

sam0617 02-23-2010 01:53 PM

Thanks so much

committed1 02-23-2010 02:22 PM

I goofed....trying to figure out how to recover. Suggestions?

Last night...fell asleep before the snack, other than that... day was good.

This morning I ate last nights prepared snack (jelly) that I didn't get to as breakfast. Then had Cereal around noon and had planned to buy a salad form the salad bar. However, when I got down there, I remembered I had plans tonight that would require a dinner out and the location of where I will be the IP compliant choices are limited. They were serving stir fry in the cafe, so I got Chicken/Shrimp stir fry (no sauce, no rice) with several different veggies and garlic. That was good and IP compliant, but did you notice I already had my protein for lunch? Whoops!!!

So how should I recover....or do you think this is a big deal? I was contemplating having 4 packets today anyway to try to make up for yesterday. What would you do?

BlueMermaid 02-23-2010 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by committed1 (Post 3168472)

This morning I ate last nights prepared snack (jelly) that I didn't get to as breakfast. Then had Cereal around noon and had planned to buy a salad form the salad bar. However, when I got down there, I remembered I had plans tonight that would require a dinner out and the location of where I will be the IP compliant choices are limited. They were serving stir fry in the cafe, so I got Chicken/Shrimp stir fry (no sauce, no rice) with several different veggies and garlic. That was good and IP compliant, but did you notice I already had my protein for lunch? Whoops!!!

So how should I recover....or do you think this is a big deal? I was contemplating having 4 packets today anyway to try to make up for yesterday. What would you do?

I would think if you stick to your 5 oz of lean protein or 7 oz fish, you should be okay. That will be your 4th protein for the day though so don't eat any more IP packs. Or you could order a salad and put the crisps on it as croutons.

BlueMermaid 02-23-2010 02:33 PM

Does anyone know how much splenda we are allowed in a day?

alihal 02-23-2010 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brenda1980 (Post 3168232)
Had my second weigh-in last night. Down another 4.8lbs. I know this is a good weekly amount. I just wish that time would go by faster and I'd already be at goal weight. Patience is not my strong suit.

4.8LBS is great!! Way to go but I understand about the patience....not one of my strong suits either, lol. I hope tomorrow night I have a loss as good as yours!!!:)

skittlescda 02-23-2010 02:49 PM

HAHA BevS you made me have a good chuckle at my desk lol....drop 2 and go up 1 :smug:

I'm wondering if my lack of losing weight the last few weeks is because I'm having one restricted item per day.

For weeks 1 & 2 I had a restricted item almost every day and lost 7 and 5 lbs in those weeks. However in weeks 3 & 4 I only lost one pound per week.

I've been drinking alot of tea & coffee with skim milk....do you think that could be throwing me off?

I'm drinking more than enough water that's for sure....I'm going to drown in it soon lol.

CinnamonSparkles 02-23-2010 03:04 PM

Birman:
Quote:

CinnamonSparkles, Ogdog and I are vegetarians too. So an extra special welcome from me!
:D Thanks! This forum is great!

ritiki19 02-23-2010 03:14 PM

Things I've Learned

I just wanted to share some of the things that I do that help me get through the day/week. I also wanted to share some recipe ideas, but I'm not going to post them in the recipe section, since they're not really measured.
Anyhow, someone brought up the question of how to make salads more palatable. I had this problem last week. I seriously wanted to throw up at the mere thought of salad. Well, my whole food store has an excellent salad bar with the most amazing marinated tofu. I'm not a vegetarian and don't even like veggies that much, but this stuff is AMAZING! I asked my vegetarian friend to help me make my own so it's cheaper and so I can make sure of the ingredients. I told 2 slabs (I think they're a pound each) of Woodstock Farms Extra Firm tofu and cut it into bite-size chunks. Then for the marinade used tamari, garlic cloves, red pepper flakes, and olive oil. Marinate for at least an hour, better if overnight, then place in single layer on PAM coated baking sheet and roast in a 400 degree oven for 15-25 minutes. They pieces will brown.
My other new favorite meal is to take a pork roast and throw it in the crock pot on low for 8 hours with an entire jar of pepperoncinis (including the juice) and some salt and pepper. The meat itself is wonderful, but here comes the best part....take your 5 ounces of meat and stir fry with bean sprouts, zucchini, mushrooms, and some of the pepperoncinis. Then melt some cheddar soy cheese on top. It is to die for!!!!!
I used to be a scale hopper too. I would faithfully weigh every morning. Last week I really struggled and the scale at home just wasn't budging. My coach told me to STOP weighing daily. He said not to weigh other than at the clinic. He felt I was stressing myself out and that it was affecting my weight. Needless to say I had a fine loss last week of 3.4 lbs. I haven't weighed myself since then and I'm not going to pretend that it's been easy. It's hard not knowing, but I'm going to give it a whirl and see if it helps.
There has been some question about cheese. I use soy cheese. I've only had the cheddar, but just bought some pepper jack so we'll see. I do not like it "raw!" I've found that if you melt it it tastes just like regular cheese. I love it atop a burger with sauteed mushrooms and zucchini! YOu'll never miss the bun. I also eat Laughing Cow cheese wedges on my celery sometimes. I do not have my 1 oz in the morning and have not discussed this with my coach, but it doesn't seem to have caused too much damage.
Sorry for the long post, but wanted to get this all out at once. Great job to all the losses and keep up the good work! It works if you work it, you're worth it!!!!

jordanna 02-23-2010 03:20 PM

Thanks Ritiki! Quick question - what is pepperoncinis?

Mmmm laughing cow cheese on your celery sounds delicious!! I'm going to have to see if I can find soy cheese, I'm thinking I might be missing out! Do you count it as a veggie serving?

For the tofu recipe do you count that as your protein for the day?

ritiki19 02-23-2010 03:33 PM

Pepperoncinis are a mild pepper...similar (maybe the same) as a banana pepper. I find them near the pickles at my grocery store. Hope this helps! As a note, it really doesn't make the meat too spicy unless you eat a ton of the peppers with it....which I do because I love the heat!

I buy the soy cheese at my whole food store, but they also sell it at Safeway and probably other stores. It's great melted on broccoli! I kind of count is as a veggie. I don't use probably more than a tablespoon or two at a time so I just have it with my veggies. I think Josh said he did the same.

Soy (soya) is counted as a veggie on the select list so I found it's a good, easy way to get my veggies in. If you get the extra firm it almost has the texture of chicken. My friend has major texture phobias and even she loves it!

Ogdog13 02-23-2010 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ritiki19 (Post 3168613)
Soy (soya) is counted as a veggie on the select list so I found it's a good, easy way to get my veggies in. If you get the extra firm it almost has the texture of chicken. My friend has major texture phobias and even she loves it!

There are some good tofu recipes starting on page 29!

BevS 02-23-2010 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryannb (Post 3168378)
They have the food, but not the supplements... unless they're hidden somewhere!

thanks though.

Hi, Maryann, They're on there. Click on http://www.idealtogo.com/idealproducts.taf. Then arrow down the page until you see "Supplements."

BevS 02-23-2010 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by committed1 (Post 3168472)

Hi, Committed1--That's not too bad of a boo-boo. If it were me, I would try to find something on the menu as compliant to the program as possible--maybe a chicken breast, broccoli or asparagus, and a salad with dressing you bring from home. Then I'd go ahead and have that last packet before bed--have one that's as low-carb as possible. On my count, it's only 3 packets today although that chicken/shrimp at lunch could be counted in place of a packet. I think that's what they do on Phase 2 anyway.

kate87 02-23-2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rachel13 (Post 3168283)
Ok, so this is going to be a little out of the blue but I haven't seen the topic of weight-gain/loss due to birth control yet so I'm interested to see what people think about it. I have gained the majority of my weight since starting a bc pill in the fall of 2008 but I think it's primarily due to the unhealthy eating habits I developed around then. I have also read in a magazine (women's fitness) that they did a study using 50 women who were on the pill and 50 who weren't, similar in body type, weight, height, ect. and had them on the same diet and exercise programs from 6 weeks and the women not on the pill lost up to 60% more than the women on the pill. Just some food for thought. What does everything think?

I think it's true. Personally I noticed my weight gain right around the time I started birth control, but I too started bad eatting habits. Last winter I tried to lose weight by watching calories and working out and I stoped taking my bc. I lost weight fast and it seemed to come off much easier than when I had tried while using bc. Since then I started my bc again and am back in the same boat. I take birth control because I have super bad cramps and it has helped but I'm stopping it again and dealing with those side effects. Sorry if this was too personal but I find it very interesting and it could possibly be hindering your loss efforts!

BevS 02-23-2010 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueMermaid (Post 3168491)
Does anyone know how much splenda we are allowed in a day?

I've read on here before that each individual serving packet counts as 1 gram of carbs. So you can't use them indiscriminately, but take into consideration how many carbs in a day you are eating.

jordanna 02-23-2010 03:59 PM

Every gram of splenda (or about 2 tsp/1 package) is 1 g of carbs :)

BevS 02-23-2010 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skittlescda (Post 3168511)
HAHA BevS you made me have a good chuckle at my desk lol....drop 2 and go up 1 :smug:

I'm wondering if my lack of losing weight the last few weeks is because I'm having one restricted item per day.

For weeks 1 & 2 I had a restricted item almost every day and lost 7 and 5 lbs in those weeks. However in weeks 3 & 4 I only lost one pound per week.

I've been drinking alot of tea & coffee with skim milk....do you think that could be throwing me off?

I'm drinking more than enough water that's for sure....I'm going to drown in it soon lol.

It's hard to say what's going on. If you're still losing inches, I wouldn't worry about it. The owner of the business where I weigh in was at a standstill weight wise for weeks. But he lost inches every week. Then suddenly he had a big loss of 8 pounds in 2 weeks and reached goal. I have a restricted item almost every day and I still seem too lose about 3 pounds per week. I think it will keep me happier on the program than being so strict. That might make me go off the program entirely if I had to give up my treats. I look forward to them. It could be hormonal and you might have a big drop soon. Judge by how your clothes are fitting.

rachel13 02-23-2010 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kate87 (Post 3168656)
I think it's true. Personally I noticed my weight gain right around the time I started birth control, but I too started bad eatting habits. Last winter I tried to lose weight by watching calories and working out and I stoped taking my bc. I lost weight fast and it seemed to come off much easier than when I had tried while using bc. Since then I started my bc again and am back in the same boat. I take birth control because I have super bad cramps and it has helped but I'm stopping it again and dealing with those side effects. Sorry if this was too personal but I find it very interesting and it could possibly be hindering your loss efforts!

My weight-loss on this diet has been good other than when I sabotage myself by cheating but last spring I ate very healthy and worked out 3 hours a day for 2 1/2 months and only lost 5 lbs. I blame this on the bc. I tried going off of it toward the end of the summer and my face broke out terribly bad so I went back on. Why does being a woman have to come with so many little annoyances! GRRRR

skittlescda 02-23-2010 04:21 PM

Thanks ritiki19 for taking the time to type your suggestions.....I was wondering about the soy cheese and I'm now going to buy the cheese and try doing the marinade recipe....the pork sounds yummy too!! Where would I find soy cheese in the grocery store....with all the other specialty cheeses in the deli section?

I've never heard of pepperoncini's but I'll look for them also.

Talking about inches......yesterday at my weigh in I lost 1.5 inches off my bust so this makes 2" off my bust in total....HEY I don't have large boobs at all 34B and I'd like to keep them please & thank-you...Off my butt would be much nicer!! I've lost a total of 7" (14 lbs).

Today I printed off everything from Dr. Trans website and I'll be doing some reading tonight....it looked like interesting stuff.

MommySarah3 02-23-2010 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogdog13 (Post 3168055)
So you make radish chips? Do you use any seasoning on them? I LOVE radishes but haven't tried radish chips yet.

Ya I have only made them once but I really enjoyed them :) I didn't use anything but extra virgin olive oil and the sea salt. I think I may try them with different seasoning next time and maybe less olive oil to see if they get crispier, but even my kiddos loved them!

Birman 02-23-2010 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksb001 (Post 3168368)
Sorry, birman: you lost me at "spreadsheet"! LOL. Just goes to show you how this program can work for ALL types of people. I'm a non-analytical type and find that this progam is great because it takes all the planning and thinking out of the equation. I just follow the plan and my own dense brain doesn't get in the way! My biggest decision is what to pair my chicken with tonight. I WISH I could be so detailed but I'm just not wired that way! But we can all have great results if we just trust the program no matter how we get there.

So glad I found this board. It's helping me so much to see how everyone approaches IP and learning all your tricks. One day at a time, everyone!

KSB001, I wish we could frame your post and put it at the top of the thread. I whole-heartedly agree with you that we are all different, that this program can work for ALL types of people, and that there are lots of different ways of getting great results on it.

I too am glad to have found this board -- sharing with everyone and learning tricks from everybody. I have done IP short-term (2 or 3 weeks) twice before and even this time I still only plan to be on it short term. Interesting thing is, that the other times I found it to be ****. This time I have all you guys, and two weeks into it am still gung ho. That's solely because of you guys. :)

Birman 02-23-2010 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by libbyshims (Post 3168382)
ooohhhh...another spreadsheet junkie! can you send me your template?

What? I'm not the only spreadsheet junkie here? lol

Can't send it unfortunately. I don't rank high enough on the board to be able to do attachments or PMs.

ritiki19 02-23-2010 05:30 PM

skittles-
At our Safeway here they have an organic section and the cheese is there. It's the only grocery store I have found it at, but the whole food store has a ton of different choices. Make sure you read the nutrition label! Today I picked up a different brand and it had 2 carbs. The soy cheese has been a lifesafer and I can see myself using it well into the future! Also, I buy the chopped pepperoncinis, not whole, but you could probably do either. Enjoy!

And great job on the inches....I know it's not where you want to lose necessarily, but remember that includes your back too. I carry about as much in my back as I do in my bra if you know what I mean!!!

libbyshims 02-23-2010 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birman (Post 3168795)
What? I'm not the only spreadsheet junkie here? lol

Can't send it unfortunately. I don't rank high enough on the board to be able to do attachments or PMs.

I don't either.... :(

Texas Sweetie 02-23-2010 06:33 PM

Hi everyone,

Well, I made it through my first week of IP. To be honest, it was easier than I thought, although the last couple of days have been super hectic - family drama - teen agers - need I say more? I managed all week with very few hiccups, although I'm having a difficult time eating all that is required. I know that sounds weird coming from someone who's overweight, but that's been my issue since I began gaining all this "insulation". I've never been an overeater, an emotional/bored eater yes, but not a big eater. It's always been the quality of food vs. the quantity of food. Anyway, trying to learn and do better.

On the plus side, weighed in this morning and am down 6.2lbs!!!!!

Would love to hear from others on how they manage stress and what they do to curb the need/desire to reach for food at that time. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Texas Sweetie 02-23-2010 06:35 PM

Me again...was wondering how I change the wt tracker to reflect my loss. I was able to change the one on the side, but not the tracker.

Thanks

livelaughlove 02-23-2010 06:37 PM

HI All!! Well, one week done! Weighed into today and lost 6 lbs and 1 lb of fat! Pretty excited! Cravings are subsiding and trying to keep up with the water intake. Worked out for the first time last night--felt a little lack luster but didn't push it. That is the nice thing about this program: I don't feel quilt by not exercising! That's a nice break for me:)

jordanna 02-23-2010 06:41 PM

Well done Texas Sweetie & Livelaughlove!!! Fantastic weigh ins. Congrats on making it through your first week!!

My first week dragged on and on and felt like it lasted forever but after that the weeks have been flying by and now I'm in my sixth week!

It gets easier and easier and you guys have started off amazingly!

skittlescda 02-23-2010 06:41 PM

Hi Texas Sweetie....good for you on a great first week!!

I just figured out today how to change that....go above and click on quick links and then clock on edit signature....in the long formula you'll see where your weight says for example 200/180/140 just go and change the mid one to your new weight and then save at the bottom and it will appear....tah dah lol

Wyo Sky 02-23-2010 06:57 PM

Squash Question

I'm wondering if we are allowed to eat Yellow/Summer Squash? It is very similar to zucchini and but actually less dense. It also seems to be a different family of squash, not like acorn, spagetti or pumpkin. When it cooks, it breaks down quite a bit. When you chop and sautee rounds of this, the interior resembles cucumber. Is it possible this is a friendly squash we are allowed to have? (You know what I mean, like we are not allowed to have any root vegetables but we CAN have radishes and turnips). I don't know how it compares nutritionaly with zucchini but I hope we can have it, it's good! Let me know :p

Texas Sweetie 02-23-2010 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skittlescda (Post 3168932)
Hi Texas Sweetie....good for you on a great first week!!

I just figured out today how to change that....go above and click on quick links and then clock on edit signature....in the long formula you'll see where your weight says for example 200/180/140 just go and change the mid one to your new weight and then save at the bottom and it will appear....tah dah lol

Thanks! Ta-dah, it worked!

libbyshims 02-23-2010 07:57 PM

congrats to everyone for their losses this week..so far..I know there are going to be many more victories to come.

just had pan seared tilapia for supper with the turnip fries. yum! my turnip fries weren't really crisp, more limp, but I didn't care...they reminded me of a roasted potato. I keep thinking I did something wrong because they tasted so darn good!

off to do day 2 of Jillian Michaels 30 day shred--celebrating after with my cookies and cream protein bar! yay!

donner 02-23-2010 08:13 PM

Hellooo everyone, I'm new posting, so I'm unsure if I'm hitting the right button to just post... if it's not right, (help please)...:) Anyways, I'm on the IP for the second time....it worked wonders, the first time...I think you all are fab for supporting others to a healthy life!! I look so forward to reading your post...they make me happy and I don't feel alone on this diet!!Thanks!

ksb001 02-23-2010 08:14 PM

Oh my goodness! I'm loving the Walden Farms chocolate syrup. Someone please tell me there aren't any hidden issues with using it (drinking it straight from the bottle? pouring it on the leek soup? :) :o

Zero Calories, Carbs, sugars, fat.... Really?

skittlescda 02-23-2010 08:18 PM

Did I read on here that we are only allowed 1 tablespoon of any Walden sauce/salad dressing etc. per day? Or can I use 1 tbsp of the BBQ sauce with my chicken and another tbsp on my salad for both lunch and dinner?

donner 02-23-2010 08:20 PM

So, I guess I did post it right..yeah...well, I started this diet last Thursday...weighed in 128 and goal weight is 117. Quick question??Do you really think not having any restricted IP foods for the first 1-3 weeks is more effective?..What have you all experienced?

donner 02-23-2010 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skittlescda (Post 3169062)
Did I read on here that we are only allowed 1 tablespoon of any Walden sauce/salad dressing etc. per day? Or can I use 1 tbsp of the BBQ sauce with my chicken and another tbsp on my salad for both lunch and dinner?

Hi...last time I heard you can have Walden Farm dressings/bbq sauce to your hearts desire....has anyone heard anything else?

BlueMermaid 02-23-2010 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Sweetie (Post 3168916)
Hi everyone,

Well, I made it through my first week of IP. To be honest, it was easier than I thought, although the last couple of days have been super hectic - family drama - teen agers - need I say more? I managed all week with very few hiccups, although I'm having a difficult time eating all that is required. I know that sounds weird coming from someone who's overweight, but that's been my issue since I began gaining all this "insulation". I've never been an overeater, an emotional/bored eater yes, but not a big eater. It's always been the quality of food vs. the quantity of food. Anyway, trying to learn and do better.

On the plus side, weighed in this morning and am down 6.2lbs!!!!!

Would love to hear from others on how they manage stress and what they do to curb the need/desire to reach for food at that time. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Great Job! 6.2 lbs is great for your 1st week. Keep up the good work. Stress is tough. I am so glad I don't have teenagers at home anymore. Exercise may help with your stress.

BlueMermaid 02-23-2010 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by livelaughlove (Post 3168927)
HI All!! Well, one week done! Weighed into today and lost 6 lbs and 1 lb of fat! Pretty excited! Cravings are subsiding and trying to keep up with the water intake. Worked out for the first time last night--felt a little lack luster but didn't push it. That is the nice thing about this program: I don't feel quilt by not exercising! That's a nice break for me:)

Great 1st week for you too! WOOHOO! Keep it up! It is the hardest week to get through.