3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   IP Monthly Chat February 2010 Continued #3 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/194723-ip-monthly-chat-february-2010-continued-3-a.html)

BlueMermaid 02-22-2010 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystical Mamma (Post 3165378)
Wondering what we are supposed to do when we get a cold or flu? The flu is running rampant in the workplace right now and my son has lovingly passed on his cold to me and my husband. Throat and sinuses are killing me but unsure what to take.......
Any suggestions?

I was so lucky that the day I started the diet I got a sinus infection. I took nyquil a few nights just to get some rest. I took some sudafed and tylenol during the day too. I just felt like I had to treat my illness to stand a chance at staying on the diet. It will be interesting to hear from the others on this.

I hope you get over it quickly!

BlueMermaid 02-22-2010 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnt6251 (Post 3165323)
I am debating and researching...wondering if I should start IP.
I am going to a couple meetings this week.

Can you tell me the expense for one week what this would be?

appreciate all the help
Pearl

My clinic did not charge a fee if we attended a seminar they had. My first week cost was 28 time 4 for the packets = 112 dollars and then another 110 dollars for the 1st month of supplements.

BlueMermaid 02-22-2010 07:13 AM

Going To Vegas

I am going to Vegas this weekend for the NASCAR races. I have been tossing ideas around as if to stay partly on plan or not. I don't think I will go totally off plan but I would really like to have a few drinks with our friends and let my hair down for a few days. I have not had any alcoholic beverages since January 10th. I know the hard liquor does not have any carbs but I get such a headache from it sometimes. I had just turned to drinking beer but that is full of carbs unless you do the low carb beer and not sure I am going to be a fan of that. I see where some of you have mentioned drinking wine. What kind of wine would be a better choice?

Novak 02-22-2010 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueMermaid (Post 3164984)
I don't give a lot of credit to the inches when they are measured at my clinic. I just go by how my clothes fit. I think there are too many variables with getting measured, especially if it is not the same person everytime. I know we can lose inches and not weight on some weeks so this number is important, too bad we don't have a groove where the tape measure goes to insure it is put in the same place every time.

Welcome to the board! These people are terrific with all their posts and I learn more here than I do from my coach.

Ha! I'm with you on the measurements... I take my own at home so I know the data is consistent.

Novak 02-22-2010 07:37 AM

Soy cheese

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshb (Post 3165239)
Made some meatballs with WF marinara sauce and melted cheddar soy cheese.

Was pretty good =D

May I ask the brand name is of the soy cheese you use?

wagnomore 02-22-2010 07:49 AM

IP Fees

QUOTE=pnt6251 "I am debating and researching...wondering if I should start IP.
I am going to a couple meetings this week.

Can you tell me the expense for one week what this would be?

appreciate all the help
Pearl

Mystical Mamma was right on...I also had a joiner fee of $100 where she walked through why we are in the shape plus how this all relates to our pancreas and the need to give it a rest & reboot. I had to also complete a medical questionnaire plus all those beginning weight/measurement things (which I will warn you is quite humbling - but when the inches melt off you're glad they did). Plus I bought the shaker/sea salt/vitamins from my coach. The grapeseed oil you can get from your grocery/healthfood store. The accountability of seeing a coach keeps you focused.

Think of this as a lifestyle investment. My only regret is not doing it sooner. Make sure to read the first couple chapters of Dr. Chan's book (it's online if you want to check it out prior to your appointment).

Welcome to 3FC! Best of luck - this forum will be a great support network for you.

skittlescda 02-22-2010 08:47 AM

Today will be my week 4 weigh in and I'm really excited!! I just feel great this morning...I got dressed for work and put my pants on and as I walked around the house my zipper was slowly falling down and I could actually feel my pants swirling (for a better word lol) around my legs. A month ago I could barely do up my dress pants and the legs were skin tight.
Hopefully I'll have good news to report!
I wish ya'll a great week and thank everyone who keeps coming back and posting here because I know it's helped keep me motivated and positive and gets me through some of the tougher days which we are all going to have!

skittlescda 02-22-2010 09:02 AM

Hi pnt6251, Below is Dr. Chanh Tran Tien's website, it's very well done and informative. My first week (I'm in Canada) cost me $280. This gave me two bottles of supplements (cal-mag and potassium), 35 various IP Packs, a daily journal and a binder full of information about the diet, nutritional value of each packet etc.
They wanted me to buy the cleanse for $54 and I told them I would buy that if I felt I needed it later (they suggest at week 3 but I haven't bought it yet).
I also later bought their shaker because it's much better than any I found at other stores. I bought a box of sea salt ($1)and a jar of coconut oil ($10) at my local grocery store.

http://www.trantiendiet.com/site/spip.php?rubrique19

libbyshims 02-22-2010 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueMermaid (Post 3165426)
I am going to Vegas this weekend for the NASCAR races. I have been tossing ideas around as if to stay partly on plan or not. I don't think I will go totally off plan but I would really like to have a few drinks with our friends and let my hair down for a few days. I have not had any alcoholic beverages since January 10th. I know the hard liquor does not have any carbs but I get such a headache from it sometimes. I had just turned to drinking beer but that is full of carbs unless you do the low carb beer and not sure I am going to be a fan of that. I see where some of you have mentioned drinking wine. What kind of wine would be a better choice?

Our coach (hubby is on IP too) told him that hard liquor mixed with water would be okay...also a small glass of wine here and there. For some reason she said to stay away from club soda (something about the carbination?)...he did have a couple low carb beers last week and it didn't affect his loss. However, he is a man and loses at a dif. rate than I do. sigh.

We are going in April and I have decided that I am going to take my packets (drinks, some bars) and at least get in my breakfast and a snack throughout the day. Make smart dinner /lunch choices, but don't feel like you are being deprived. Have a drink and enjoy yourself. Don't stress. One of my favorite drinks is Sprite zero with Amaretto. Not sure on the carb count, etc. but may be worth a look up.

I think you will be surprised at the choices you will make after being on the diet this long. I find that I don't even crave the stuff I thought I would. (am on week 3).

One thing my coach did point out is that if you are going to cheat and eat a heavy and rich meal to eat a much smaller portion and eat slow. Your stomach may not be able to handle it. You certainly don't want to have tummy issues when you are there!

Can't wait to hear about it!

BevS 02-22-2010 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CinnamonSparkles (Post 3164228)
Hi everyone! Yesterday I went to a see a friend's band play at a bar/BBQ place and I am finding it easier and easier to just drink water when everyone else is drinking. Also it is much safer as I can be the DD! :) Someone told me to drive home safely and I said, yeah I had so much water!! I'm vegetarian so the BBQ didn't tempt me at all. Also it's nice not to have a hangover.

My big victory is that I fit into my jean skirt again! I was totally surprised when I tried it on before going out. Hooray for sexy clothing! It will be so nice to finally fit everything in my closet. I feel like my wieght loss is slow but the average is 3-5 pounds a week for a woman.

Also, now the IP eating plan is a habit so it's not nearly as hard to stick to as it was in weeks 1-2. If you are in the first week or two, hang in there! It does get easier.

How did everyone figure out their target weight? My coach didn't help me at all with that, they just asked what I thought it was. Wondering if others had more guidance on that.

Week 1: -6.4 lbs
Week 2: -3.6 lbs
Week 3: -4.3 lbs
Week 4: In progress
Total 14.3 pounds down. Almost 10 dozen eggs? :D

Dr. Chanh suggests using BMI (body mass index). Using the BMI index, for your height of 5'7", you should be between 128 and 160, with about 144 being ideal.

sam0617 02-22-2010 09:26 AM

Today is only my 5th day on IP and when I put my pants on this morning I felt a definite difference. I have not weighed myself yet as I will wait to complete my first week. I was wondering does anyone know if there are any other brands of vitamins that can be purchased outside of the IP program that are the same as the IP ones. I find their vitamins very expensive and since this program is not cheap cutting corners where I can will hopefully allow me to continue the program until I reach my goal weight. Also can anyone comment on the Blender Ball Shaker. My coach is selling it for $7 and I have spoken to other people who only paid $4 (?) Does it really disolve the powder mixes thoroughly. Unfortunately I an now unemployed and cost is an issue. I do have the magic bullet but that is only good if I am actually home.

BevS 02-22-2010 09:43 AM

From Wyo Sky: "My doctor stresses to me that KETOSIS IS NOT the aim of the Ideal Protein plan and is not necessary to lose weight. Ketosis is the aim of other plans such as Atkins, etc. I was on Atkins years ago and checking my reading on Ketostix everyday. I lost weight but gained it all back and then some. From what I understand through my doctor, Ideal Protein is working a very different way. It helps to reset the pancreas and metabolism and whatever else I have going on in my system that has been so compromised by the many diets I've been on over the years."

Hi, Wyo Sky: I'm not sure where your doctor is coming from. The Ideal Protein is based on Dr. Chanh's book The Unbalanced Diet. It is definitely all about ketosis and resetting your pancreas using ketosis. Read Chapter 7 starting on page 51.

JulesinOhio 02-22-2010 09:47 AM

Vitamins, Potassium and Cal/Mag

Hello everyone. I am new here and have been reading your posts for about a week. You guys are all doing so great and it is very motivational to read of all your successes! I am going to a meeting on Wednesday and will probably join as I have been looking for something like this for quite a while after trying to eat pretty high protein myself. Can someone please tell me how many mg are in the potassium and also the cal/mag? Also, is there anywhere I can find the nutrition label for the vitamins? I have looked everywhere! :dizzy: I am trying to cut costs and know that I can duplicate these supplements if I know I am at least hitting the amounts that they sell. I have bought a good supply of the EAS shakes as they appear to be very comparable to the ideal protein. Hopefully, will just have to buy a few other packets/bars to get me going. I have no idea what my partner's chiropracter is going to charge as a start up charge and it seems that costs vary tremendously depending on where you sign up. Oh, BTW, my partner is going to join with me, so I really need to watch the costs :(

BevS 02-22-2010 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam0617 (Post 3165040)
:dance:
Can anyone tell me how to find and attach the weight tracker that so many of the people on this site have that show the progression of their weight loss.

Thanks

Hi, Sam, you have to be a member for at least 20 days and have at least 25 posts before you can get a weight tracker. Once you've reached those milestones, click on User CP at the top left of your screen along the purple bar. Then click on edit signature. Once you've done everything it says, be sure to save it at the bottom of the screen.:)

brenda1980 02-22-2010 10:03 AM

Shaker is worth it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam0617 (Post 3165599)
Today is only my 5th day on IP and when I put my pants on this morning I felt a definite difference. I have not weighed myself yet as I will wait to complete my first week. I was wondering does anyone know if there are any other brands of vitamins that can be purchased outside of the IP program that are the same as the IP ones. I find their vitamins very expensive and since this program is not cheap cutting corners where I can will hopefully allow me to continue the program until I reach my goal weight. Also can anyone comment on the Blender Ball Shaker. My coach is selling it for $7 and I have spoken to other people who only paid $4 (?) Does it really disolve the powder mixes thoroughly. Unfortunately I an now unemployed and cost is an issue. I do have the magic bullet but that is only good if I am actually home.

Hi Sam: I got the shaker with the ball in it and I LOVE it. I think mine was $7, too. It breaks down the powder and mixes everything reallt, really well. I am glad I got it. I will use it for other powdered drinks and mixes even after I am done with the IP program.

Ogdog13 02-22-2010 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystical Mamma (Post 3164077)
I don't know about anyone else, but I have a love/hate relationship going on with the weekends! On one hand, I LOVE the weekends because I get to relax and spend time with my hubby and family. On the other hand, I have WAY too much time on my hands. I try to keep busy and not think about food, but it gets really hard sometimes. During the week, I am sooooo busy at work that I don't even give it a second thought. But then comes Saturday and Sunday and oh boy........ I want to find an even balance between relaxing and staying busy when I have time off, but I am starting to dread the weekends. Anyone else have this problem??

Mystical Momma, I'm right there with you on weekends. They have been my downfall ever since hopping back onto the Phase 1 train. I was just telling torchlaker that I have to get my xss in gear and get through my weekends without cheating so I can lose the last 30 lbs by the time outdoor concert season starts. If you find anything motivating to help you through weekends please share.

want2run 02-22-2010 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueMermaid (Post 3164872)
Have any of you noticed how the weight seems to come off your legs quicker than anywhere else?

That seems to be the slowest place for me...where I see it is all upper body :(

BevS 02-22-2010 10:08 AM

Quote:

I buy the liquid calcium, multi-vites, and fish oil directly from "Our Health Co-op" and save buckets of money. Their phone # is 1-800-667-0781 and you can also order online. The only supplement I can't find is the potassium calcium, but you only take one of them a day. I bought two bottles and that will last me almost 7 months.

I don't have a Blender Ball Shaker. They gave me a different type which I personally don't care for. I use an old Jello shaker cup that I've had for years. It has a flat top that doesn't have so many nooks and crevices in the lid.

FTLMIKE 02-22-2010 10:11 AM

Happy Monday everyone. Another good week on the scale. 4 more pounds gone. That makes 24 for the month. As the time goes on, the easier this diet becomes and the more options that are available. On Friday night we tried the tofu noodles, they were excellent, especially in stir fry. Not sure about as a pasta itself, but we will give it a try to see. Hope everyone has a good week...

BevS 02-22-2010 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulesinOhio (Post 3165662)
Hello everyone. I am new here and have been reading your posts for about a week. You guys are all doing so great and it is very motivational to read of all your successes! I am going to a meeting on Wednesday and will probably join as I have been looking for something like this for quite a while after trying to eat pretty high protein myself. Can someone please tell me how many mg are in the potassium and also the cal/mag? Also, is there anywhere I can find the nutrition label for the vitamins? I have looked everywhere! :dizzy: I am trying to cut costs and know that I can duplicate these supplements if I know I am at least hitting the amounts that they sell. I have bought a good supply of the EAS shakes as they appear to be very comparable to the ideal protein. Hopefully, will just have to buy a few other packets/bars to get me going. I have no idea what my partner's chiropracter is going to charge as a start up charge and it seems that costs vary tremendously depending on where you sign up. Oh, BTW, my partner is going to join with me, so I really need to watch the costs :(

Hi, Jules, I'm in Ohio too! Welcome! The potassium calcium pills we take have 800 mg of potassium bicarbonate and 200 mg of calcium. I can't find them anywhere else. We take them one per day at breakfast, and there are 100 tablets in a bottle, so 1 bottle lasts over 3 months. I buy the other supplements at "Our Health Co-op," phone 1-800-667-0781. Their fish oil is 1,000 mg. We take 2 at brealfast and 2 at dinner. There are 180 softgels per bottle, which will last you 45 days. Their multi-vites, iron-free formula, have 60 tablets per bottle and you take one at breakfast and one at dinner. So they last 1 month. The liquid calcium has 300 mg of calcium, 100 mg of magnesium, and 100 IU of VitaminD. You take 2 at dinner and 2 at bedtime. There are 100 softgels in a bottle, so they last only 25 days. I buy a couple of them at a time. I saved $52 by buying my last supplement order from this company, and they also have a website.

jordanna 02-22-2010 10:23 AM

From what I know about the supplements you can't get the potassium-calcium one over the counter because people who are not on this type of diet shouldn't be taking that much potassium therefor it's not available unless you buy it from a certified coach/doctor etc. If you are on this diet it is perfectly safe to take such a high dose of potassium as it will be lacking in your body otherwise.

*I'm not a doctor, coach or at all affiliated with any kind of medical anything, this is just my understanding. There are a few pharmacists/pharmacy students on the boards who might be better able to answer your questions about getting the vitamins over the counter.

jordanna 02-22-2010 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FTLMIKE (Post 3165740)
Happy Monday everyone. Another good week on the scale. 4 more pounds gone. That makes 24 for the month. As the time goes on, the easier this diet becomes and the more options that are available. On Friday night we tried the tofu noodles, they were excellent, especially in stir fry. Not sure about as a pasta itself, but we will give it a try to see. Hope everyone has a good week...

Hey FTLMIKE - congrats on your loss!! You're doing awesome :)

I tried the tofu noodles "mr. noodles" style and they were kind of squeeky, rubbery, & hard to eat, I think they would be better placed in a stir fry...that's what I'm going to try doing next time.

joshb 02-22-2010 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Novak (Post 3165465)
May I ask the brand name is of the soy cheese you use?

Veggie shreds/Veggie slices.
They are in my normal grocery store "frys" so they arent just a health food store item. They come in several flavors such as provolone,cheddar,swiss,pepperjack,mozzerella sliced and shredded.

rachel13 02-22-2010 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by want2run (Post 3165718)
That seems to be the slowest place for me...where I see it is all upper body :(

This is happening to me too... I think it's my body's ploy to discourage me. I hate my legs and so they are holding on for dear life. Good thing I am in control of my weight, and it doesn't control me anymore :)

Wyo Sky 02-22-2010 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BevS (Post 3165640)
From Wyo Sky: "My doctor stresses to me that KETOSIS IS NOT the aim of the Ideal Protein plan and is not necessary to lose weight. Ketosis is the aim of other plans such as Atkins, etc. I was on Atkins years ago and checking my reading on Ketostix everyday. I lost weight but gained it all back and then some. From what I understand through my doctor, Ideal Protein is working a very different way. It helps to reset the pancreas and metabolism and whatever else I have going on in my system that has been so compromised by the many diets I've been on over the years."

Hi, Wyo Sky: I'm not sure where your doctor is coming from. The Ideal Protein is based on Dr. Chanh's book The Unbalanced Diet. It is definitely all about ketosis and resetting your pancreas using ketosis. Read Chapter 7 starting on page 51.

:shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:
Hi BevS, Well I must thank you for directing me to Dr. Chanh's book which I found online. You are correct! I crossed checked with the Ideal Protein website and they feature him and his findings as well. So why is my doctor telling me Ketosis is not important?? :oI must get to the bottom of this.

If I may ask, what is your understanding of the carb range per day we then need to be in during this diet? Please advise. Also, do you eat the restricted IP items once a day or do you avoid them.

Thank you so much

shelleydar 02-22-2010 12:11 PM

I saw my coach today and she said I was tired because I wasn't getting enough carbs (been taking the vit / min, drinking enough of water and good salt intake, BP was OK). She added a ristricted pack once a day. Said she was concerned my body might be going into starvation mode. However, I still lost 3#...? Anyway, as long as I continue to take the weight off I'm not gonna complain about extra food! :)

jordanna 02-22-2010 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyo Sky (Post 3165991)
Hi BevS, Well I must thank you for directing me to Dr. Chanh's book which I found online. You are correct! I crossed checked with the Ideal Protein website and they feature him and his findings as well. So why is my doctor telling me Ketosis is not important?? :oI must get to the bottom of this.

If I may ask, what is your understanding of the carb range per day we then need to be in during this diet? Please advise. Also, do you eat the restricted IP items once a day or do you avoid them.

Thank you so much

You should stay between 20 - 40g of carbs per day. Some people find they stay in ketosis better if they stay below 30g of carbs per day.

Ogdog13 02-22-2010 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshb (Post 3165875)
Veggie shreds/Veggie slices.
They are in my normal grocery store "frys" so they arent just a health food store item. They come in several flavors such as provolone,cheddar,swiss,pepperjack,mozzerella sliced and shredded.

Josh, I know you use this as a veggie. How much do you use to equal 2 cups of veggies?

brenda1980 02-22-2010 12:57 PM

Stock?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rachel13 (Post 3165918)
This is happening to me too... I think it's my body's ploy to discourage me. I hate my legs and so they are holding on for dear life. Good thing I am in control of my weight, and it doesn't control me anymore :)

I've heard that the first place you put weight on is the last place it will come off. Does anyone put any stock in that from what you are seeing in your own body's results? I am noticing that the last places I put it on are the first places it is coming off, so the theory makes sense to me, but was wondering about the rest of you?:dizzy:

kate87 02-22-2010 01:02 PM

Hey everyone:) I started Ideal Protein on February 5th and have lose a total of 9.6 lbs. I felt horrible the first few days but things have gotten easier. Before IP my vegetable consumption was super low, i'm having to be creative w/ veggies to ensure I get my intake for the day. Any vegetable tips would be greatly appreciated!! I have my 3rd weigh in on Friday and hope it goes well, I haven't cheated at all so I'm not too worried!

I've been reading this chat since I've started and have found it inspiring and helpful when I'm having a bad day or just need something to do. Thanks everyone and good luck!

CinnamonSparkles 02-22-2010 01:08 PM

Quote:

Wondering what we are supposed to do when we get a cold or flu? The flu is running rampant in the workplace right now and my son has lovingly passed on his cold to me and my husband. Throat and sinuses are killing me but unsure what to take.......
Any suggestions?
MysticalMamma - I was starting to get a cold last week. I have terrible allergies so for me a cold means a severe sinus infection. I take Mucinex D during winter to ward off any problems, and I irrigate my nose everyday with a NetiPot and saline solution. You can take Mucinex D at the sign of congestion and it will help.

Regarding what to do as allowed on IP, last week I ate a TON of garlic, some of it raw, as it is a natural antibiotic. I put 4 cloves of garlic into my salad dressing (along with 1 Tbsp soy sauce, 1 Tbsp water, lemon juice, 1 tsp olive oil, spring onions, and sesame seeds-blended it up, used on 1 salad). Also, I sauted some garlic with olive oil and ate it inside a piece of lettuce. Wow did that clear out my sinuses! It's a bit stinky but after 2-3 days of this, my lurking cold had gone away.

I recommend trying garlic for your cold.

mepeterson 02-22-2010 01:13 PM

Ladies I weighed in today and am only 1lb away from having lost 40lbs, I am so excited. I stared on Oct 1st. I have lost slowly on a number of weeks and partly becuase I have cheated here and there so I am pretty excited to have lost almost 40lbs. I also bought some new jeans this weekend and am now in a size 9!!!

joshb 02-22-2010 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogdog13 (Post 3166068)
Josh, I know you use this as a veggie. How much do you use to equal 2 cups of veggies?

I dont use enough cheese to equal two cups, I just add it ontop of burger and turnip fries or on my broccoli just as added vegetables onto mine.

Birman 02-22-2010 01:31 PM

Quote:

Today is only my 5th day on IP and when I put my pants on this morning I felt a definite difference. I have not weighed myself yet as I will wait to complete my first week. I was wondering does anyone know if there are any other brands of vitamins that can be purchased outside of the IP program that are the same as the IP ones. I find their vitamins very expensive and since this program is not cheap cutting corners where I can will hopefully allow me to continue the program until I reach my goal weight. ... Unfortunately I an now unemployed and cost is an issue. ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BevS (Post 3165731)
I buy the liquid calcium, multi-vites, and fish oil directly from "Our Health Co-op" and save buckets of money. Their phone # is 1-800-667-0781 and you can also order online. The only supplement I can't find is the potassium calcium, but you only take one of them a day. I bought two bottles and that will last me almost 7 months.

Sam and BevS, you are referring to products that are alternatives to the ones IP sells. There are a few people on this board who have problem with posts referring to alternatives. They say they find it "confusing" or "distracting" and therefore want nobody to make posts about alternatives -- even if it benefits other people. However, I'm with BlueMermaid who says:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueMermaid (Post 3162100)
Even though I'm committed to doing IP exclusively I'm of the belief that information is power and I'm open to learning everything possible about this program - even if that includes other products or ideas. Bring 'em on, folks!

Yes! Knowledge is power!

Personally, I really respect people's differences and their right to make the choices that are right for them. AND, I want to support others on this board -- regardless of whether their situation and choices are the same as mine or not. Hence I will not let the close-minded people scare me off this board. I will support others here as best as I can. If someone has a problem with my posts, they are free to report me to the moderator.

So, Sam0617, in response to your questions about alternate supplements, I wanted to mention that one can only buy potassium over-the-counter to a maximum of 99 mg, even though the US RDA for potassium is 3500mg. The reason for this is that too much potassium can be toxic (to my recollection, like screwing up your heartbeat.) To get a potassium pill with a larger dose, you need to get it via prescription, or directly from your doctor.

However, you CAN get larger potassium doses OTC in non-tablet form. I get a simple powdered potassium supplement that is very inexpensive. Each 1/4 teaspoon is 750 mg. I generally buy my products/supplements online from Netrition or iHerb, but you can probably get this at most healthfood stores. Now, I gotta warn you. The stuff tastes terrible. I put it in a bit of water and swig it down, while I having a full fresh glass of water on the table to quickly follow it and wash the taste out.

Not sure if this method is right for you Sam0617. Just sharing the info so you can make your own choice.

MommySarah3 02-22-2010 01:36 PM

Hi Everyone :) I have been reading your posts since my dad started this diet, since then my husband, mom, and I have also started. I have found many of your tips very helpful! I started the diet on Monday Feb 8th, so today is exactly two weeks! (I cheated on Sat...it was my 24th bday party) Honestly I started the diet to be healthier and because my mother is always telling me that I need to lose weight! I have had three children, after the first I had no problems dropping the weight, I was actually smaller than before without even trying! With the second one I held onto about 10 lbs but this was again without trying to lose weight in any ways, this third one I held onto an extra 15 lbs and have been trying like crazy to lose them! IP is definately working, and I feel so much better in general :) At my first weigh last Thursday I had lost 8lbs and 9 inches, We don't have another weigh in until next Monday but I am very excited (she said she will be moving me on to phase 2-so hopefully the cheat didn't set me back too much!) My goal is to lose 20lbs and my husbands is to lose 40 and lower his BP. I just wanted to say thank you to all you ladies (and few men!) for all your inspiration!

BlueMermaid 02-22-2010 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by libbyshims (Post 3165577)
Our coach (hubby is on IP too) told him that hard liquor mixed with water would be okay...also a small glass of wine here and there. For some reason she said to stay away from club soda (something about the carbination?)...he did have a couple low carb beers last week and it didn't affect his loss. However, he is a man and loses at a dif. rate than I do. sigh.

We are going in April and I have decided that I am going to take my packets (drinks, some bars) and at least get in my breakfast and a snack throughout the day. Make smart dinner /lunch choices, but don't feel like you are being deprived. Have a drink and enjoy yourself. Don't stress. One of my favorite drinks is Sprite zero with Amaretto. Not sure on the carb count, etc. but may be worth a look up.

I think you will be surprised at the choices you will make after being on the diet this long. I find that I don't even crave the stuff I thought I would. (am on week 3).

One thing my coach did point out is that if you are going to cheat and eat a heavy and rich meal to eat a much smaller portion and eat slow. Your stomach may not be able to handle it. You certainly don't want to have tummy issues when you are there!

Can't wait to hear about it!

Thanks! I will keep this in mind.

BevS 02-22-2010 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyo Sky (Post 3165991)

Thank you so much

Hi, Wyo Sky, Dr. Chanh doesn't really tell us the range, but I estimate I'm eating anywhere from 30 - 40 grams per day, including the 4 cups of vegetables plus unlimited lettuce. I tend to have a restricted item every day if I have them on hand (usually a bar or the chili). I have lost 23 pounds in 6 weeks, but my weight loss has slowed down considerably in the last week or two. I have dropped 2 pants sizes (from 16 to 12) and gone from wearing an extra-large top to a medium (small if it's stretchy--love the spandex). I was never in a boot-camp version of the diet. I started out from day 1 being able to have 1 restricted item per day, and I looked forward to it greatly, especially at the beginning of the diet. Now I am just not having any cravings. I have to admit I really love those caramel nut bars though.:)

rachel13 02-22-2010 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kate87 (Post 3166141)
Hey everyone:) I started Ideal Protein on February 5th and have lose a total of 9.6 lbs. I felt horrible the first few days but things have gotten easier. Before IP my vegetable consumption was super low, i'm having to be creative w/ veggies to ensure I get my intake for the day. Any vegetable tips would be greatly appreciated!! I have my 3rd weigh in on Friday and hope it goes well, I haven't cheated at all so I'm not too worried!

I've been reading this chat since I've started and have found it inspiring and helpful when I'm having a bad day or just need something to do. Thanks everyone and good luck!

I don't like to cook much so I cut up 2 cups of celery and place them in individual baggies and store them in the fridge and get one out in the mornings and munch on them making sure the bag is gone by 3 and then getting the second bag out and munching on them until 8 when I have my last protein packet of the day. I would recommend doing this with any veggie that you really enjoy. Makes it go by so much easier. Hope this helps

ritiki19 02-22-2010 02:19 PM

A while ago someone posted a recipe using the IP chicken soup and veggies and making sort of a casserole with it. I can't seem to find it anywhere. If you have the recipe or know what I'm talking about can you please post it again? Thanks!

BlueMermaid 02-22-2010 02:20 PM

40 pounds gone!!! WOOHOO!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mepeterson (Post 3166156)
Ladies I weighed in today and am only 1lb away from having lost 40lbs, I am so excited. I stared on Oct 1st. I have lost slowly on a number of weeks and partly becuase I have cheated here and there so I am pretty excited to have lost almost 40lbs. I also bought some new jeans this weekend and am now in a size 9!!!

That is terrific that you are 1 lb away from losing 40. That is a pretty good milestone. Keep up the good work and you will reach your goal in no time. :carrot::):carrot: