Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 12:19 AM   #376  
IP Start Date 11/18/2009

S/C/G: 191/145/140

Height: 5'9"

Default Shedding Pounds

Thinking more on Mystical Mamma's comment a couple days ago on the pounds we're dropping...correlating to a tangible object:

Did any of you ever imagine how much easier life is w/out all the extra pounds? I am trying to kick up the workouts and took my dogs for a walk/run (applying the interval idea to the workouts vs. straight cardio). It's truly amazing the endurance and stamina improvement that has happened - I had no idea...I was truly in denial. I am excited too it's almost spring so I can get outside more w/out freezing to death.

On a separate note...has anyone ever made any sweet legal stuff?? Must be getting close to TOM.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:30 AM   #377  
Started IP 2/16/10

S/C/G: 242/235.8/165

Height: 5'10"

Me again...does anyone have any idea if Pork Rinds are legal? My guess is they're probably not due to the fat content, but they don't have carbs or sugars. However, I've missed that "crunchy" thing and saw these at the store the other day and remembered that other low-carb diets allow these. Anyway, I bought some and have been having a few each day to satisify that need. Hopefully they won't have a huge impact.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:45 AM   #378  
Started IP 2/16/10

S/C/G: 242/235.8/165

Height: 5'10"

Hi all...me again!

Just wanted to share that I just posted a "mock mashed potatoes supreme" recipe on the recipe post. It's probably not Phase 1 compliant, but looks darn good anyway! I may have to try it this week for that "comfort food" thingy. Things have been stressful lately, and I'd rather have a better-for-you food than totally blowing it with an off-limits food. I'll let you know how it is when I make it.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:49 AM   #379  

S/C/G: 237/184/157

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksb001 View Post
Oh my goodness! I'm loving the Walden Farms chocolate syrup. Someone please tell me there aren't any hidden issues with using it (drinking it straight from the bottle? pouring it on the leek soup?
Gotta say, ksb001, this totally cracked me up! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrab View Post
i was told by the IP rep that you can only use 2 tbsp per serving of the walden farms products per serving. he said that the breakdown on the bottle is only for 2 tbsp and does not apply should you use more....maybe don't quite drink it straight from the bottle!! lol
I have often wondering what the label regulations are regarding how these numbers are rounded. Today, I had extra time on my hands so looked it up.
("Extra time on my hands" is my way of saying that I am looking for something to do instead of the thing I am procrastinating!)

Non-detail people feel free to skip the indented stuff. Summary will follow.

US Government food labeling regulations:

Calories: A statement of the caloric content per serving, expressed to the nearest 5-calorie increment up to and including 50 calories, and 10-calorie increment above 50 calories, except that amounts less than 5 calories may be expressed as zero.

Fat: A statement of the number of grams of total fat in a serving defined as total lipid fatty acids and expressed as triglycerides. Amounts shall be expressed to the nearest 0.5 (1/2) gram increment below 5 grams and to the nearest gram increment above 5 grams. If the serving contains less than 0.5 gram, the content shall be expressed as zero.

Carbohydrate: A statement of the number of grams of total carbohydrate in a serving expressed to the nearest gram, except that if a serving contains less than 1 gram, the statement “Contains less than 1 gram” or “less than 1 gram” may be used as an alternative, or if the serving contains less than 0.5 gram, the content may be expressed as zero.

To my understanding, that means that if a product, like the WF Chocolate Syrup states that a serving size has 0 calories, 0 g fat, and 0 g carbs, the absolute maximum it could have are: 4.999 calories, 0.4999 g fat, and 0.4999 g carb. For sake of ease, I will round the numbers up a tiny tiny smidge, to 5 calories, .5 g fat, and .5 g carb.

Therefore to my understanding, the maximum the Walden Farms Chocolate Syrup could contain is:

1 serving = 2 Tbs, 5 Cal, .5 g Fat, .5 g Carb
2 servings = 4 Tbs, 10 Cal, 1 g Fat, 1 g Carb
3 servings = 6 Tbs, 15 Cal, 1.5 g Fat, 1.5 g Carb
4 servings = 8 Tbs, 20 Cal, 2 g Fat, 2 g Carb
8 servings = 16 Tbs, 40 Cal, 4 g Fat, 4 g Carb
12 servings = 32 Tbs, 60 Cal, 6 g Fat, 6 g Carb

Summary for non-detail folk:

12 servings of WF Chocolate Syrup is 12 oz, which is the entire bottle. One could eat the entire bottle and still only get a maximum of 60 calories, 6 g of fat, and 6 g of carb -- which I don't think is too bad. Wouldn't recommend it on your leek soup though, ksp001.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:04 AM   #380  
Kris M

S/C/G: 254/185/135

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagnomore View Post
On a separate note...has anyone ever made any sweet legal stuff?? Must be getting close to TOM.

lol on that TOM comment! I am not a sweet eater, and never crave - until that time.... usually would have a chocolate bar and be good for the remainder of my time. However - with my food sensitivies, I cannot have a lot of the goodies we are allowed, so filling that craving isn't an option with IP food, so had to be creative!
I make a chocolate bar using the chocolate and butterscotch thick syrup and mix with a package of plain soynuts. Place it in the fridge or freezer, and then drizzle a bit more butterscotch on top..... is total heaven! lol!
I emphasize the thick syrup and plain soynuts because I didn't realize this when making it and used the thin syrup. Will not firm up. Also in my excitement I didn't realize I had grabbed a sour cream and onion flavoured soy nut!!!! One Word describes this concoction........ DISGUSTING!!!

However I am so cheap that I didn't want to waste it and choked it down..... felt barfy for hours afterwards! lol!!

Would love to hear of any more idea's!!
Old 02-24-2010, 07:07 AM   #381  
Kris M

S/C/G: 254/185/135

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birman View Post
Summary for non-detail folk:

12 servings of WF Chocolate Syrup is 12 oz, which is the entire bottle. One could eat the entire bottle and still only get a maximum of 60 calories, 6 g of fat, and 6 g of carb -- which I don't think is too bad. Wouldn't recommend it on your leek soup though, ksp001.
Wow - thank you for that breakdown! I have always used the products liberally but often wondered what is the damage beyond the 2 tbsp they list on the jar!
Old 02-24-2010, 07:10 AM   #382  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

S/C/G: 185/126/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birman View Post
er...YES.

I weigh myself first thing every morning. Sometimes on this diet when I travel, I actually go so far to pack my bathroom scale in my suitcase.

I know from experience that I generally weight 2 lbs less first thing in the morning than I do right before bed. So I sometimes weigh before bed to give me a preview of my morning weight. If it's looking good, I can hardly wait to get up and see it. In fact, when I'm on the IP diet I sometimes check my weight during my nightly bathroom break!

Not only do I weigh daily, but I track my weight daily on a spreadsheet. Personally, I am an analytical sort, so I have all kinds of formulas in my spreadsheet that automatically calculate things when I enter the weight number. For example, it automatically compares my weight loss to my short term, medium term, and long term goals, shows me how much I am currently losing per day and per week, automatically shows up in green, yellow, or red, depending on how well I am doing in comparison to my goals, and shows me how much I now need to lose per day or week in the future to meet my goals. These kinds of calculations, along with automated graphs of different time lengths, showing my weight in comparison to my various goals, help me keep on track and stay motivated. For example, if I am doing well, one way it helps keep me motivated is by showing me exactly how far ahead of my goals I am, and how I now need to lose less per day to reach my goal target. We all know that weight loss slows the closer one gets to their target weight, so the more I can lose early the better. Or, if I'm currently doing poorly, it shows me how well I have done in the past (and therefore doing overall), shows that a little blip on the graph is okay and I am probably still on track to meet my goals, but that I can't slack off or I will get off track. Need to be extra vigilant. Calculated numbers showing up in yellow rather than green also alert me when my progress is starting to be a problem, so I can catch it early and make changes to what I am doing if necessary.

So yes, some of us do weigh every day.
Indeed. I'm a daily also, with spreadsheets, though not nearly so elaborate as yours! It is a question of motivation, really. The metrics help me watch what I take in and the effects on my progress. I figure whatever keeps me losing.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:56 AM   #383  
IP Start Date 11/18/2009

S/C/G: 191/145/140

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystical Mamma View Post
lol on that TOM comment!
I make a chocolate bar using the chocolate and butterscotch thick syrup and mix with a package of plain soynuts. Place it in the fridge or freezer, and then drizzle a bit more butterscotch on top..... is total heaven! lol!
I emphasize the thick syrup and plain soynuts because I didn't realize this when making it and used the thin syrup. Will not firm up. Also in my excitement I didn't realize I had grabbed a sour cream and onion flavoured soy nut!!!! One Word describes this concoction........ DISGUSTING!!!

However I am so cheap that I didn't want to waste it and choked it down..... felt barfy for hours afterwards! lol!!

Would love to hear of any more idea's!!
Thanks...that sounds like something I would do - you would sure hate to waste a packet! I am laughing to the point of the tears! You made my morning bright!

Last edited by wagnomore; 02-24-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:07 AM   #384  

S/C/G: 184/132/135

Height: 5'3"

I just weighed and was 158.8. That's the first time I've seen the 150's in years. I may be up a pound tomorrow, but I don't care! I'm celebrating today!
Old 02-24-2010, 10:03 AM   #385  

S/C/G: 220/218/170

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevS View Post
I just weighed and was 158.8. That's the first time I've seen the 150's in years. I may be up a pound tomorrow, but I don't care! I'm celebrating today!
Awesome job!!
Old 02-24-2010, 10:09 AM   #386  
fluffymama

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyo Sky View Post
I'm wondering if we are allowed to eat Yellow/Summer Squash? It is very similar to zucchini and but actually less dense. It also seems to be a different family of squash, not like acorn, spagetti or pumpkin. When it cooks, it breaks down quite a bit. When you chop and sautee rounds of this, the interior resembles cucumber. Is it possible this is a friendly squash we are allowed to have? (You know what I mean, like we are not allowed to have any root vegetables but we CAN have radishes and turnips). I don't know how it compares nutritionaly with zucchini but I hope we can have it, it's good! Let me know
I am pretty sure that yellow squash is either a no-no or A restricted veggie
Old 02-24-2010, 10:14 AM   #387  
fluffymama

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritiki19 View Post
My coach did not limit my intake, but said to use it within reason. So drinking it straight from the bottle may not be their idea of within reason. I'm curious now about the 2 tbsp so I'll have to ask on Thurs when I weigh in.

I have not used Truvia or Stevia, just Splenda. What's anyone's opinions on them as far as taste?
I actually like the truvia. It tastes more like sugar to me. It is a little more expensive, but worth it! I even have my hubby using it in his coffee, I threw away the pink packets bcse the dr. said that they are really bad! He said that if we are out and he wants coffee to use splenda, since truvia isn't readily available in public places..
Old 02-24-2010, 10:16 AM   #388  
fluffymama

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzMa View Post
Well, down a few more pounds and inches. I am halfway to my goal! I have found this the easiest diet that I have been on (and I've done em all).
that is so awesome!!! cONgratS to you!!!!
Old 02-24-2010, 10:16 AM   #389  

S/C/G: 175/160.2/130

Okay everyone, this was covered some time back, I want to say Nov or Dec posts. Walden Farms has like .5 of a gram of a calorie and carbs. So like Birman said, they are allowed to list it as 0. Splenda is the same way. So if you use a lot, those carbs and calories add up.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:18 AM   #390  

S/C/G: 175/160.2/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffymama View Post
I am pretty sure that yellow squash is either a no-no or A restricted veggie
Not sure why, but summer squash is in the zuchinni family and has 2.5 grams of carbs per .5 cup. I eat it along with zuchinni and am okay.
Closed Thread