3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   IP Monthly Chat February 2010 (continued) (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/194033-ip-monthly-chat-february-2010-continued.html)

BevS 02-13-2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birman (Post 3149610)
There has been a lot of talk about the expense of this diet. I agree! Using the Ideal Protein or Matol products makes the diet very expensive. But, we don't need to use the products to do the diet well, however. To my understanding, the key to the diet is not the packages. The key is the right nutritional balance as designed the original developer -- Dr. Chanh Tran Tien. If you look at his webpage trantiendiet.com/site/spip.php?article249 you will see that he says :

"- 1 protein packet (protein packets generally contain between 15 and 20 g of protein).
- OR 1 measure of protein. This option is by far the most economical if you purchase a large container of protein; however, large containers of protein are not available in all countries. The protein is diluted in water…"

So, why not just buy a large container of high quality protein, and use that instead? I use almost none of the Ideal Protein or Matol products, and I get great results. Personally I use Prolab's Chocolate Whey Protein Isolate -- which tastes great! Whey is a high quality protein. Being an isolate removes some of the fat and carbs leaving a per serving nutritional profile of: 110 calories, 0.5g fat, 2 g carbohydrates, and 24 g protein. The cost? $1 per serving as opposed to IP's $4 per serving. If one doesn't mind a bit more carbs and fat, the non-isolate version is 130 calories, 2 g fat, 6 g carbohydrates, and 22 g protein. Serving price for that is 62 cents. I don't use Matol's vitamin/mineral supplements either. I read what we're supposed to take, then get good quality stuff from iHerb, Costco, or Netrition. Netrition also has some delicious premade drinks (achievONE) with good nutritional profiles for $2 each.

If something is really important to me, I will come up with the money. (Remember, I'm the one who spent $750 on a kitten!) But… I hate to waste money. Personally I think the IP products are way overpriced, and that irks me. If someone is happy spending the money on the IP products I think that's great. Just mentioning that we don't HAVE to, to get good results, is all.

Great Idea! I've been kicking that thought around in my mind for awhile and now I think I'll try it! I already have some Now whey protein isolate that I make my husband his morning protein shake with. Unfortunately, it's unflavored. Maybe I could some of those divinchi (spelling?) coffee flavorings? Or just buy my own chocolate like yours. I've had trouble finding whey I like the taste of in the past.

BevS 02-13-2010 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HopefulTricia (Post 3149832)
Torchlaker -- I am trying your idea of oatmeal
with the Walden Farms maple syrup.Thanks so much for it. Now, any suggestions for salad dressings? At the end of day one, it seems this diet is not so hard but the salads will get pretty boring without some different dressings. Today I used olive oil and apple cider vinegar. Not my favorite, at all.

Hi, Tricia, you might like the olive oil and vinegar better if you add a teaspoon of water, a shake of sweet basil, and a sprinkle of stevia to cut the sour taste. I do this for one of my salads every day in order to get in my olive oil.

Eastcoastmama 02-13-2010 01:31 PM

Just had weekly weigh in. Lost 2.2 pounds. I knew it wasn't going to be as much this week. I struggled drinking all the water and forgot to take third protein pack twice.
This is motivating though to get back on track 100%. I love to read about everyone successes. I think I am becoming a 3fc addict also.
Getting ready to go shopping and am going to use everyone's ideas for meals for the whole family instead of one for them and one for me. Thanks for the help.

HopefulTricia 02-13-2010 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BevS (Post 3150562)
Hi, Tricia, you might like the olive oil and vinegar better if you add a teaspoon of water, a shake of sweet basil, and a sprinkle of stevia to cut the sour taste. I do this for one of my salads every day in order to get in my olive oil.

I did add splenda today but I love basil so I will try that too and the water. Thanks for the suggestion. Now I need a butter substitute for eating a lobster tail.
I hope I stay as motivated as I am on day 2. Diet seems easy and just made for me. I thought there would be serious sugar withdrawal but unless it is yet to come, I am really very good. No headaches, nothing. Maybe a bit more tired but just a bit. Why didn't I find this diet sooner???
Guess I am just happy to have found it at all!

fluffymama 02-13-2010 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rachel13 (Post 3149494)
Hey everyone, in the old Feb. blog there was a discussion about cheese... organic was mentioned to use in stead of a vegetable, this almost sounds too good to be true. I was wondering if anyone had any more information on the type of organic cheese is ok for IP and where they commonly find it. Thanks!

I asked my dr. if the soy cheese was okay to use as a sub. for one of your veggies. She said that she would find out from the i.p. people and let me know on Monday when I go for my third weigh in. I'll post what I find out.

fluffymama 02-13-2010 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by showgirlaz (Post 3150059)
I use 3 different ones. Artisan: vanilla hazelnut and coconut Da Vinci: chocolate raspberry and Caramel Torani: Irish Cream All three use SPLENDA. Make sure whatever bran you buy uses only splenda. Sugar alcohols aren't a problem if you found one with some of those in it too.

I find my syrups at: smart and final, tjmaxx, marshalls/home goods, ross, whole foods, frys/kroger, sprouts, sunflower, albertsons, cost plus world market, and the local Italian deli. That said, they are pretty readily available! :) I generally pay about 3.99 to 5.99 for a 25.4 oz bottle.

thanks so much! hopefully I'll have better luck finding them w/ a name brand

wagnomore 02-13-2010 04:29 PM

Weight Loss

Quote:

Originally Posted by cicibel (Post 3150396)
Hey everybody! My husband and I had our third weigh in yesterday. Of course he is doing wonderful at 19 lbs lost and I am doing ok at 12.5. I know I should not be discouraged but I was really hoping that I would be further along especially since you usually lose more at first and slow down later. The Dr asked if we had been doing any exercising and we had not so he recommended we get out and do some walking. Do any of you have other ideas that will excellerate our weight loss just a bit. I was thinking I would have at least 20 lbs off by the end of the first month. Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted. One other thing I have a friend who is also on IP and she is always hungry. She is thinking of quitting because of the hunger issue. Why would she be hungry but I rarely have that issue and I am much larger than she is. Thanks for your help.

Double check the vegetables you are eating - try to avoid the restricted - thus keeping with the lower carb intake. Also watch your carbs on the IP packets. Remember as a rule, guys have a higher metabolism and can burn the pounds faster.

For your friend, lots of variables. Did she start at the same time? Is she getting enough water and grape seed oil? What is she eating for her evening protein? Remember lettuce is an unlimited vege. She also may just need a little more protein. On this forum lots of us agree it would be better to eat a little extra protein rather than cheat and eat something on the forbidden list. Please tell her to hang strong. When I've been flat - especially for the meal I am just to have an IP protein - I've thrown a boiled egg with my oil and salt on my salad and that seems to help. Also may want to sip on hot herbal tea...

Best of luck to you. Hang in there - 12.5 by your 3rd weigh-in is AWESOME.:carrot:

toomanycats 02-13-2010 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueMermaid (Post 3150551)
:shrug: I am on my 5th week and the last 3 days I have been getting light headed when I stand up. I take the supplements and take 2 of the potassium ones every day. I drink about 100 oz of water daily. I eat the salt when this happens but I feel like I am having to eat much more salt than recommended. I am on the last days of TOM so I thought that may be why I have been feeling this way. I have added a 4th protein for the last few days too because I have been hungry. I would appreciate any comments from any of you that have experienced this.

You are drinking a LOT of water. Are you sure you are getting enough salt? I know on other low carb diets they say to eat a little something like cottage cheese (just a couple bites). I think it is the carbs needed to supply glucose to the brain....but cottage cheese is also an excellent source of protein. I got lightheaded once when I forgot my salt, took some table salt and some alka seltzer (high in sodium) and felt fine. How much salt are you taking every day? And is it natural sea salt?

echobaby 02-13-2010 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HopefulTricia (Post 3150655)
I did add splenda today but I love basil so I will try that too and the water. Thanks for the suggestion. Now I need a butter substitute for eating a lobster tail.
I hope I stay as motivated as I am on day 2. Diet seems easy and just made for me. I thought there would be serious sugar withdrawal but unless it is yet to come, I am really very good. No headaches, nothing. Maybe a bit more tired but just a bit. Why didn't I find this diet sooner???
Guess I am just happy to have found it at all!

Wouldn't it be funny if you took a can of PAM butter flavored spray and just whipped it out at the restaurant? OK, bad idea, but I've been using Molly McButter on my veggies and oatmeal. Or if you want to have a liquid to dip into with a squeeze of lemon, I think they still make Butter buds, which is a powder that comes in a packet. You mix it with water. Happy Valentines day!

Almost forgot.....Congrats Canada on the Olympics. I love the Winter games.

echobaby 02-13-2010 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toomanycats (Post 3150809)
You are drinking a LOT of water. Are you sure you are getting enough salt? I know on other low carb diets they say to eat a little something like cottage cheese (just a couple bites). I think it is the carbs needed to supply glucose to the brain....but cottage cheese is also an excellent source of protein. I got lightheaded once when I forgot my salt, took some table salt and some alka seltzer (high in sodium) and felt fine. How much salt are you taking every day? And is it natural sea salt?

Yeah. What she said. With that much water, you should be eating extra salt. The extra potassium is good, but you need more iodine. Good luck.

wagnomore 02-13-2010 06:12 PM

Muscle cramps

Has anyone ever woke up with muscle cramps in your legs - kinda felt like a "charlie horse" kind of cramp in the calf of my leg this morning.

shelleydar 02-13-2010 06:19 PM

I get cramps in my abdominal muscles but not enough to wake me up at night - my husband has leg cramps that wake him up. The Dr. told him he needed more water so if he drinks a glass of water quickly they go away within a few minutes.

Birman 02-13-2010 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echobaby (Post 3149901)
:doh:

Do you promise that the Prolab Chocolate Whey Protein Isolate tastes great?

I just got my tax refund today and I find that I have been thinking about doing some profligate spending for the last 12 hours. I've managed to talk myself out of 2 sets of porcelain dishes, a home telephone system that I saw while flipping channels on the Home Shopping Network,(the HSN!!!How pathetic is that?), a roomba, a treadclimber, and $26.00 shampoo. Just since this morning. So, of course, you describe this protien as delicious, and what do I immediately do? go to amazon and Netrition. So, again, do you promise? Hand on on Dr. Tran's hairdo:doh:, I mean book?

Well, I think it tastes great, and the 4 or 5 people I have recommended it to in the past think it tastes great. The isolate tastes better than the non-isolate. (My sister-in-law agrees.) They both taste better if blended in a blender.

I mentioned this particular brand as an example of protein powder with a good nutritional profile that I think tastes good. I'm sure there are lots of good protein powders out there, though. (Oh. By the way. Forgot to mention earlier that this one also does not contain Aspartame.)

Hope you like it! Let me know.

jordanna 02-13-2010 06:58 PM

cramping means you need to up your potassium for a few days

Birman 02-13-2010 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motiv8edmama (Post 3150069)
This is really interesting to me and something I have been wondering about. Have you been doing this for long? I am sorry but this has put me into 20 questions mode!! LOL!! Do you go to a center to weigh in and did you start out on the IP stuff and later investigated to find a more cost effective route for you? I see you have been loosing weight, how long has it taken you to loose the amount you have lost? I am sure I will think of more questions, but I don't want to drive you crazy. :D I would love to see a sample of what your day looks like, food journal wise. Anyway, thanks for the input!

Hello Ms. 20 Questions! Nope, I have never been to a coach and have never done IP officially... 'cause I'm tight. My sister-in-law did IP last summer on the advice of her doctor and lost a ton of weight. That's when I started investigating it to find out exactly what it was and how it worked. It looked to me like I could do it just fine on my own. I have tried several of the products (either purchased from Matol, or ordered by my SIL through her doctor), but I'm not overly impressed with them. I'm not opposed to them, by any means, and I'm glad that they are available. I do use the soups occasionally -- maybe 3 times a week. It's just that I don't see a reason why I need to use too much of them.

As for your question about my results, well I am not an expert with this diet, nor have I done it a lot. I don't have the interest or the self discipline to use such a strict diet for too long. Also, I am not 100% convinced that it's healthy to be on something this strict for too long. So I alternate it with my regular diet which is much easier, more balanced, and still works. Doing the alternating thing I lost 37 lbs last year from April - September. Then, was an idiot and gained a bunch back. (By the way, the weight does not automatically come back after this diet.) I want to be down to 160ish by my 50th birthday in September, so I have just started a 21 day stint with this diet to give me a bit of a jump start. Not only does losing a lot of weight fast feel really encouraging and motivating, but then it makes my other diet feel extra easy.

As for a journal of my foods, well, yesterday I had a Prolab chocolate protein shake for breakfast; decaf coffee throughout the morning; mushroom/spinach omelet and salad with Walden Farms dressing for lunch; zero carb broth throughout the day; a veggie stir fry with vegetable protein (I'm a vegetarian) for dinner; and another chocolate shake right before bed. That's 793 cals, 34 g carbs, 13 g fiber, and 25 g fat. I am also sure to take additional supplements. When I eat like this I DO lose weight fast -- about as the same rate as every one else here. Also, I'm not hungry. If I ate more carbs (like those IP bars!) I'd probably be ravenous. But not when I just eat protein and veggies.