Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 10:44 PM   #391  
fluffymama

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel13 View Post
Ok so I bought a trial box of the EasEdge protein drinks today and am going to have one as my 3rd "packet". I went back to reread the posts about this product from the past few days and everyone seems to think it's ok. I noticed that the IP shakes are only 8 oz while the EE are 11 oz. Should I let some goto waste or drink the entire 11 oz? By the looks of things the EE are a little better because they are less in carbs and fat. I believe there was someone who had posted that this is all they'd been using for a month and was down 19.6 lbs so it doesn't look like it is effecting weight loss at all and it's soooo much cheaper! Who knew!
let us know how this tastes compared to the vanilla i.p. premade drink. thanks!
Old 02-17-2010, 10:45 PM   #392  
back at it

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyo Sky View Post
Hi there toomanycats!

Here is one link that explains the HCG diet protocal: //wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_HCG_Diet_Protocol

I can tell you a few things about it:
-It's controversial (I've been doing it under a doctor's recommendation and care). I spent much time researching the pros and cons before deciding to do it.
-It can only be done for 40 days max but another course can be done (if needed) after 5-6 weeks
-Is very strict (500 calories a day) but shots DO make it so you are not hungry so it has been easy to stick to for me. The remaining calories come from burning your own fat.
-Drinking much water (about a gallon a day) is CRUCIAL, and since you are taking so much water in, the theory is you are actually losing actual fat and not water.
-Some people buy a kind you can put under tounge, but my doctor says the HCG shots are better quality
-It is not cheap to do the shots (given to myself by myself each morning on the underside of belly)- throw away insulin needles are very small
-The diet resets your hypothalamus
-It's not necessarily low carb because you get to eat (1) apple and (1) orange each day.
-Apparently many people have success with it if done right. I have now lost over 20 lbs and still have a few days to go. Some people actually lose between 30-40 lbs in 40 days, and yes, I realize how ridiculous that sounds but is true. As always, men seem to lose more. I might have lost more if I was younger and didn't have wacked out hormone levels. My doctor and I discussed this for some time before I decided to go for it, I guess I needed a jump start and this provided it.

Now, as I am winding down on the HCG, the next thing the doctor recommended is to go on Ideal Protein Diet. I purchased my first two week supply just this morning. I will actually be able to start eating more food then I've been used to. The shots end for me this Thurs. The thought is I won't be experiencing the hunger and weakness some people have when starting IP as I've already been through that with the first days of HCG.

HCG is not for everybody...I encourage anyone interested to research it. Now my focus is to start the Ideal Protein products this weekend. Picking my selections of IP today, I felt like a kid in a candy store!
Thanks for the info! Yes, sounds kind of scary to me! And IP will be a treat what with getting at least 800 calories a day! I know all about the age thing, whacked hormones, etc. (50 and been on every diet I can think of - Oprah got nothing on me! ) Again, welcome and good luck!
Old 02-17-2010, 10:45 PM   #393  

Quote:
Originally Posted by livelaughlove View Post
HI all!! Today is my first day on IP! I'm proud of myself for making this committment but boy it's gonna be challenging I get so inspired by all of these posts! Wish me luck!! 8 hours in and so far so good!
Hi, welcome to the easiest diet I have ever tried. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how quickly the weight comes off as long as you stick to the plan.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:55 PM   #394  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffymama View Post
I love THIS!!!!!!! <<< I am so sick of salads that the mere thought of having one induces vomit to rise in the back of my throat.>>> Seriously, I just sat here and laughed my head off. I feel the same exact way!!!!!!!
I think the reason for the lettuce is to give you more fiber to fill you up and help you go . I don't think missing a salad now and again is going to affect you as long as you have the 4 cups veggies during the day.

Have you tried the baby lettuces or italian mix lettuce? I usually do not eat iceberg lettuce but I really enjoy my salad at lunch time. I chop radishes, green onions, celery, red cabbage and zuchinni until I have 2 cups and add that to my salad. I then use vinegar and olive oil with some basil, oregano, ground pepper, sea salt, garlic powder and have just started adding a touch of splenda. I look forward to it. You might want to check out the recipes for other salad dressings that have been posted.

Last edited by BlueMermaid; 02-17-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:10 PM   #395  
IP start 1/11/2010

S/C/G: 226.6/176/140

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
I love THIS!!!!!!! <<< I am so sick of salads that the mere thought of having one induces vomit to rise in the back of my throat.>>> Seriously, I just sat here and laughed my head off. I feel the same exact way!!!!!!!
Thank you fluffymama! It reassuring to know I'm not the only one struggling with the salads! I'm not cheating and my BM's have been fine so I just can't choke them down sometimes!

Thanks Blue Mermaid....I've tried some different dressings, but I'll keep mixing it up. I had this problem with salads even before IP. The only time I don't get sick of salads is when I can drench it in really good full-fat ranch! Probably part of the reason I'm doing IP!!!!! lol

Last edited by ritiki19; 02-17-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:17 PM   #396  
1/5/11

S/C/G: 164/127/115

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
let us know how this tastes compared to the vanilla i.p. premade drink. thanks!
It was good in my opinion ! I think I may like the chocolate better though. Definitely worth the $6
Old 02-17-2010, 11:21 PM   #397  

S/C/G: 191.4/160.6/135

Height: 5'7"

I tried the turnip "chips" tonight and they were great. I made my husband potato chips the same way, but he preferred the turnip chips better. How great is that? Thanks for the great ideas.
I am going to brave the banana pudding and chicken soup tomorrow at work. I'm a little nervous, but still just working on the quick start pack my coach gave me with a little taste of everything. Wish me luck!
Old 02-17-2010, 11:31 PM   #398  

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsiemom View Post
I tried the turnip "chips" tonight and they were great. I made my husband potato chips the same way, but he preferred the turnip chips better. How great is that? Thanks for the great ideas.
I am going to brave the banana pudding and chicken soup tomorrow at work. I'm a little nervous, but still just working on the quick start pack my coach gave me with a little taste of everything. Wish me luck!
I find if I mix the pudding and put it in the freezer for about 30 minutes, I like it much better. You may want to plan on adding some veggies to the soup. Add salt and pepper, it helps.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:33 PM   #399  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritiki19 View Post
Thank you fluffymama! It reassuring to know I'm not the only one struggling with the salads! I'm not cheating and my BM's have been fine so I just can't choke them down sometimes!

Thanks Blue Mermaid....I've tried some different dressings, but I'll keep mixing it up. I had this problem with salads even before IP. The only time I don't get sick of salads is when I can drench it in really good full-fat ranch! Probably part of the reason I'm doing IP!!!!! lol
I think if you used a little ranch a couple times a week you would be okay. I believe it has less fat than the olive oil and it is usually pretty low carb.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:33 AM   #400  

S/C/G: 237/184/157

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Regarding grape seed oil, it has a higher smoke point than olive oil. When an oil breaks down (exceeds its smoke point) it is thought to produce free radicals that can contribute to cancer. Grape seed oil can safely be used for cooking at higher temperatures than olive oil.
I found out today what happens when you exceed olive oil's smoke point. Your smoke alarm goes off!
Old 02-18-2010, 12:52 AM   #401  
Started IP 2/16/10

S/C/G: 242/235.8/165

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birman View Post
I found out today what happens when you exceed olive oil's smoke point. Your smoke alarm goes off!
I almost found this out last night. I sprinkled EVOO onto asparagus & mushrooms and put them in the oven at 500 degrees for 10 minutes. Within 5 minutes I thought there was a fire in the oven Tonight I used grape seed oil in 450 degrees and no problem. Just thought I'd pass the info along.

I do have a question about the H2O. I've seen various people reporting up to 100 oz a day I can barely get in 64oz. I've never been a big water drinker, but I'm finding that I can get it down easier if it's tea or crystal light. Is it okay if I do most of my water consumption through this method as long as they are decaf?

While I'm here...I think I've mentioned before I have serious intestinal issues. Anyway, when I eat too much raw veggies (i.e., salads everyday) for consecutive days it tears me up From what I've read, the salad is basically used as a "filler". Is this a correct assumption? At most, I can usually only have 2 salads a week. I'm hoping this is okay. Any thoughts?
Old 02-18-2010, 06:23 AM   #402  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Sweetie View Post
I almost found this out last night. I sprinkled EVOO onto asparagus & mushrooms and put them in the oven at 500 degrees for 10 minutes. Within 5 minutes I thought there was a fire in the oven Tonight I used grape seed oil in 450 degrees and no problem. Just thought I'd pass the info along.

I do have a question about the H2O. I've seen various people reporting up to 100 oz a day I can barely get in 64oz. I've never been a big water drinker, but I'm finding that I can get it down easier if it's tea or crystal light. Is it okay if I do most of my water consumption through this method as long as they are decaf?

While I'm here...I think I've mentioned before I have serious intestinal issues. Anyway, when I eat too much raw veggies (i.e., salads everyday) for consecutive days it tears me up From what I've read, the salad is basically used as a "filler". Is this a correct assumption? At most, I can usually only have 2 salads a week. I'm hoping this is okay. Any thoughts?
I would discuss this with your coach. If you are eating the IP packs, you may find the salad is not tearing you up as bad. You may need the lettuce to clear your digestive track. I am going to ask about the calcium too, I think that makes it hard to go as well. The paperwork says unlimited lettuce, it does not say we have to eat lettuce. If I have a chance, I may try to look in Dr. Tran's book and see what he says about lettuce.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:39 AM   #403  

Default Dr. Tran's book

This is what I find in the Dr. Tran's book about lettuce. I don't see where he says you have to eat lettuce. This diet has formed through the nutritionists and coaches that have been administiring it. If it was me and lettuce bothered me, I would try a few days without it and see if I was still losing weight. You will see some differences in the vegetables he recommends.

Eat Your Veggies!
All very low-glycemic index vegetables, or almost all vegetables, are
allowed on the protein diet:
• Vegetables to Enjoy: asparagus, Swiss chard,
celery, chicory, Chinese cabbage, cucumber, zucchini,
watercress, endive, spinach, fennel, lettuce,
mache (lamb’s lettuce), sorrel, bell peppers, radishes.
Other vegetables contain slightly more carbohydrates, but are still
allowed (some nutritionists disallow them; however, if you don’t
overdo it, these vegetables will not keep you from losing weight).
• Vegetables to Enjoy in Moderation: eggplant, broccoli,
fresh button mushrooms, cabbage, sauerkraut,
cauliflower, red cabbage, green beans, turnips,
dandelion, leeks, soy sprouts, tomatoes.
You’ll have to give up the following vegetables temporarily:

• Vegetables to Avoid: artichokes, beets, carrots,
celeriac, Brussels sprouts, salsify.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:12 AM   #404  
Kris M

S/C/G: 254/185/135

Height: 5'6

Quote:
I have a friend that has been on the program as long as I have. That would be 5 weeks. The last few days everything she eats is going through her like water if you know what I mean. I told her I would check with you other IP'ers and see if you have experienced this or know what may be causing it. I am not sure if her coach is going to know.!
Hi - she could be having a food sensitivity to some of the products. This happened to me when I first began the program. Found a list of the nutritional breakdown of the foods and realized that the foods that made me react that way were not gluten free or had milk products in them. Knew I was lactose intolerant, but had no idea I was also gluten intolerant until this happened! Now I simply eat the items that are free of both products and all is good again!
Hopefully your friend is feeling better and has found something to help her.

Last edited by Mystical Mamma; 02-18-2010 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:21 AM   #405  
Kris M

S/C/G: 254/185/135

Height: 5'6

Hello everyone! Wow - I have been gone for a few days and couldn't believe the amount of posts that are flying on here! Awesome!!!

Took family day off from work and have been paying for it all week with a major backlog of crap!!! So have been working late everyday to try and catch up! Totally exhausted!

But on to a much happier topic........ I weighed in yesterday and dropped another 4.5 lbs!!! Making it a total of 27.5 lbs since January 2!!!

Also had my coach measure me for first time since I began the program and have lost 15.75 inches from my body! Sooooooo happy with that!

Really gives me the boost I need to keep on keeping on!

Have a great day everyone! The weekend is almost here!

Last edited by Mystical Mamma; 02-18-2010 at 07:28 AM.
Closed Thread