Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:55 PM   #121  

Hey Carla - sorry your having such a hard time...have you thought about maybe looking for a different coach who would be willing to meet you half way? I hope it all works out for you, you've done so wonderful thus far and it would be a shame for you to get discouraged and quit.

YOU CAN DO IT!!! I know you can
Old 02-03-2010, 09:59 PM   #122  

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilk View Post
So, fourth weigh-in today, and I lost another 3.5 lbs! That means my grand total for my first month on IP is 15.5 lbs... I am a quarter of the way to my goal! Yay me! I also lost 1/2 inch everywhere except my hips... those stubborn hips! My coach said that she could really see the weight loss on me today; that was nice to hear too. I just feel thinner and better. It's a GREAT feeling.

As great as I feel, I feel kind of bad also, because my boyfriend only lost 2 lbs this past week. We've been completely committed, no cheats or slips since day 1, and we eat the exact same thing as one another everyday. The only difference is, I drink 100+ oz. of water and he never drinks more than 64 oz. (and he admitted that there were a few days this past week where he didn't even get in that much). So, moral of the story, drink your water! And lots of it!

(And even though I felt bad, it REALLY felt good to lose more then him. Right now, I'm only 1.5 lbs behind him for total weight loss. Go me!)
Woohoo, way to go!!!! I too am doing the diet with my other half. He didn't listen the first week about the water and thought he could just drink ice tea on the weekends. He has had much slower weight loss than I have. You are doing great and will meet your goal in no time.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:03 PM   #123  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alihal View Post
Well I can't believe it but at my second weigh in I lost another 6lbs!! So in two weeks 12lbs total! Only problem is I don't feel my clothes any bigger yet, hopefully soon i will be able to feel the difference.
WOW! 12 lbs in 2 weeks! Great job! You will probably really notice your clothes more in this 3rd week. Is your coach measuring your inches?
Old 02-03-2010, 10:04 PM   #124  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSweet View Post
Hi New Dieters

I know how hard dieting is and it isn't any easier when you have questions...I hope some of this helps you!

The reason there is such different information from coach to coach is that Ideal Protein is the diet...not the clinic. Each clinic is indepently owned and hires and trains their own staff. Each staff member/coach is trained in the Ideal Protein protocol....but most clinics are Wellness Centers and have staff that understand nutrition and that keeping someone focused and on the IP diet, or any other diet for that matter, is what is the best for the dieter. Rather than to be so strict that the dieter quits due to it being to hard to follow.

Adding in things like diet pop....the diet pop will not effect your weightloss (no calories-no carbs) BUT what it will do is not allow the absorbtion of your supplements. Any diet pop that contains phosphoric acid will play havoc on your body's bicarbonate buffering system...avoid the brown colored pop completely. If you chose to drink any other type of diet pop do so with the understanding that you have to match up equal amounts of water over your daily requirement!!!!!!

Crystal lights are ok to help you consume your water. There is no counter effect to the Ideal Protein protocol for having this.

The Ideal Protein diet is an Alkalined based program and that is why acid's are a no- no! The phosphoric acid is a problem not aspartame.

As for the questions about gum, mints, sugar free jello, chicken broth.... All of these are ok in small amounts. (If you have a piece of SF gum every once in a while it will have no effect on the program...but if you have 5 pieces every day it will....YOU are on a 20-25 carb only intake in phase 1 and all the sweetner packs count as 1 each, the gum counts as 1 each, the IP packs range from 1-to 17 each. Do the math, figure out your day to incorperate what you need but not to exceed the the 20-25 carb max per day!

Cheating only takes you out of the fat burning mode and it can take you up to 3 days to pick that back up....but if you plan to cheat understand your choice and proceed don't be shocked at your weight loss or lack of it, when ready, rededicate yourself and move on!

For all those who have lost a substancial amount of weight 20+ pounds, you must feel better ....this program has so many health benefits that weightloss is not the only thing to improve.

The cost of Ideal Protein...there seems to be a few other products in Canada but my coach explained that is because of IP needing FDA approval to add the other items to the US. The costs for IP are set by Ideal Protein and are comparable to the major low calorie pre packaged food diets. No clinic is allowed to under sell the products. What they can do is decide if they will sell in boxes and/or ind. packs and if they will sell more than the 21 packs need per week.
As for the readymades, I too found them cheaper online...but the readymades are not made by Ideal Protein. As for Lindora ...there products are good but not comparable- they have way more artifical ingredients and higher carbs...but again if you limit your intake to between 20-25 carbs per day they will work....you lose the added health benefits that come along with following the IP protocol as directed but that is a personal choice.

Ideal Protein works and it works fast...if you cheat or substitue other foods you yourself have lengthened the amount of time you are on the program and increased your costs! Be aware of your choices!

Remember this is only temporary you will move through the phases and be able to enjoy everything you miss in due time....Tip: I keep a journal of what I miss and when I am ready I will refer to my ongoing list and decide than if I still want it. (This is not to say I haven't put myself to bed in a bad mood because I wanted pizza)

Water- absolutly the key to moving out all the toxins your body has been holding on too! Drink-Drink-Drink

Salt- (not the white stuiff) You NEED the salt your diet has been stripped of all salt and your body will crave it(headaches,fatigue) Salt your salads, meat and veggies!!!!!!

I have seen so many questions and so many answers ....I have been on the protocol since November I have lost 30+pounds. I feel I can answer from experience and the fact I drive my coach nuts!

Thank you to all who are supportive and proactive with recipes...you may not realize how helpful you are!!!!!
HI Supersweet!

GREAT information!

I was just wondering what is making you say the aspartame is not a problem. I addressed this with my coach and read in the Dr. Tran Tien Chanh Ebook that Aspartame is an absolutely no-no. Actually according to what I learned and was told all artificial sweetners that cause an insulin demand are not allowed because this protocol, although designed to help us lose weight, has a primary purpose of shutting the pancreas down to allow it to reset. ONLY stevia products and sucralose (white splenda) can be used with out creating an insulin response to break them down. Have you heard something new?

Also, I can't remember who but someone was talking about sugar alcohols for bars and gum. Please be careful with the use of sugar alcohols. SOME people have the ability to digest them which, if you are very carb intolerant will cause the insulin spike even at a low carb level. Apparently, that and the use of the brown rice and agave syrups in the bars is part of why bars are restricted.

Anyone who is using sugarfree gum might try a tip that was passed down to my coach, RINSE the gum off before you chew it. Apparently, it is coated in a type of a starch that has a carb or two in it and can cause some people to come off ketosis quickly.

I was doing some studying and found that the US allows companies to label products as ZERO carb if the carb level is below .5g and allows them to label as less than 1 carb if it stays .5 to .99 SO, for those counting carbs it might be worth calling zero's .5 carb and less than one carb as 1 if you are using processed foods often.

I learned a hard lesson the other day with the caramel torani syrup and portion. Apparently, less that 1 tbsp is less than 1 carb but more than that becomes a carb and it adds up. I am going to be a little more cautions on how much or that I am using in a week! LOL

Carla
Old 02-03-2010, 10:10 PM   #125  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanna View Post
Hey Carla - sorry your having such a hard time...have you thought about maybe looking for a different coach who would be willing to meet you half way? I hope it all works out for you, you've done so wonderful thus far and it would be a shame for you to get discouraged and quit.

YOU CAN DO IT!!! I know you can
Thanks Jordanna!

NOT A CHANCE! He was right! This isn't easy and it isn't suppose to be. I have to realize this isn't a diet it is a protocol to improve how I use carbs in the future. I will never be fully able to use carbs the way my sister or other carb tolerant people can. I also have to stop using food to deal with stress and emotions. He was firm but not rude or unkind. Unfortunately, what he presented was probably the best thing. I don't want to cheat and I don't want to do things that make me start to crave or lose slower. I can't Knock the loss. Since Nov. 18, 2009 I have dropped from a size 20 to a size 14 petite, minus 42" total, and lost 45 pounds. Not bad for less than 80 days!

I will get there and I am feeling so much better today. Still not great but DEFINATELY not in the dumps AND, bonus , I am still on track!

I can't wait to share, next tuesday, our weigh in results! I have a feeling I will have a great number! After all, EVERYTHING is better than zero! LOL

Last edited by showgirlaz; 02-03-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:29 PM   #126  

Well I'm glad you're fighting back and revving back up to keep losing!! I really enjoy your enthusiasm and the knowledge you bring to the boards - it helps keep us all going!!

I'm sure your results next week will be fantastic!
Old 02-03-2010, 10:41 PM   #127  

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
HELLO!

Yes, I still have family in town until tuesday the 9th. I also have a semi broken computer so I have been saving battery power while I wait for the new power supply cord to be shipped.

Last week was not so good. I don't know why but about 2 week ago I started feeling off, end of week 9 for me and my TOM. Anyway, I became very mood, irritable, and FAMISHED. I felt like I was fighting a cheat moment all day long. I didn't cheat but felt very awful until yesterday. I did my monday weigh in and lost ZERO!! Yes, a big, fat, Zero. I did lose 1.5 inches though. My coach had no advice. He said he couldn't force me to keep doing this but if I wanted to do it he would not offer me any optional veggies or restricted foods at this point - basically suck it up and put your big girl panties on if you are going to do this! LOL.. I said I don't have a problem with the weight loss or the program I just don't like feeling so bad and wanted relief; I am so hungry... not craving junk just more food in general, I would even eat and extra packet a day. He gave in to me having up to 3 extra packets a week IF I was having truly famished feelings. I got some extra sleep the past few nights and the emotions and general well being seem to be coming back. It isn't official, came from my closet scale, but I seem to be down 3 pounds since monday. HOPEFULLY, next weeks weigh in will be great!

I am so glad you are quickly approaching your goal! That is so awesome!

I will try to stay in touch over the next few days but don't expect too much. It will be hard before next week to get the computer time!

Carla
Good to see you back.

I have struggled with the same this week and don't expect much from this weeks weigh in....but are your stressed? I wonder if my stress level will affect the scale negatively. I know it is a snowball effect too.

What did you coach mean by not forcing you to do it? Where you asking for more food/varieties? Its sounds like you have been spot on for so many weeks...1 week of funk is nothing. Was he upset with you about something else or just your general "I am not feeling well and don't know why"?

Do you keep a diary? How about track the number of hours of sleep and your moods. I wonder what this will show (I don't keep one, but if you do, report your findings! )
Old 02-03-2010, 10:49 PM   #128  

Quote:

I learned a hard lesson the other day with the caramel torani syrup and portion. Apparently, less that 1 tbsp is less than 1 carb but more than that becomes a carb and it adds up. I am going to be a little more cautions on how much or that I am using in a week! LOL

Carla
uh oh....are you saying that the sugar free syrups from my fav coffee place may not be that great? I have enjoyed that 3 times this week. Black coffee, usually half caf, and sugar free syrups (splenda).

Maybe this is why I feel like my weigh in tomorrow will be no good?

**update**
i checked the web site of the coffee place and confirmed that they say the 4 pumps of sugar free syrup in my coffee are still sugar free and carb free, calorie free, fat free....but do have a little sodium.

So, I probably should chill out on those anyway.

Last edited by committed1; 02-03-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:06 PM   #129  
WyoPrincess

S/C/G: 226/208/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by alihal View Post
Well I can't believe it but at my second weigh in I lost another 6lbs!! So in two weeks 12lbs total! Only problem is I don't feel my clothes any bigger yet, hopefully soon i will be able to feel the difference.
Great Job! Believe me, you will wake up one morning and everything is too big. My fat pant sweats about fell off me at the gym the other day! LOL And that's when I truly knew it was working. Keep up the good work!
Old 02-03-2010, 11:49 PM   #130  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
HI Supersweet!

GREAT information!

I was just wondering what is making you say the aspartame is not a problem. I addressed this with my coach and read in the Dr. Tran Tien Chanh Ebook that Aspartame is an absolutely no-no. Actually according to what I learned and was told all artificial sweetners that cause an insulin demand are not allowed because this protocol, although designed to help us lose weight, has a primary purpose of shutting the pancreas down to allow it to reset. ONLY stevia products and sucralose (white splenda) can be used with out creating an insulin response to break them down. Have you heard something new?

Also, I can't remember who but someone was talking about sugar alcohols for bars and gum. Please be careful with the use of sugar alcohols. SOME people have the ability to digest them which, if you are very carb intolerant will cause the insulin spike even at a low carb level. Apparently, that and the use of the brown rice and agave syrups in the bars is part of why bars are restricted.

Anyone who is using sugarfree gum might try a tip that was passed down to my coach, RINSE the gum off before you chew it. Apparently, it is coated in a type of a starch that has a carb or two in it and can cause some people to come off ketosis quickly.

I was doing some studying and found that the US allows companies to label products as ZERO carb if the carb level is below .5g and allows them to label as less than 1 carb if it stays .5 to .99 SO, for those counting carbs it might be worth calling zero's .5 carb and less than one carb as 1 if you are using processed foods often.

Carla
Hi Carla,

Yes, I read the same thing you are talking about but my coach has spoken with Dr. Tran and was told by him personally that Sugar subtitutes don't really change the result of the diet. Zero calorie,zero sugar!

His greatest concern is how safe are sugar subtitutes at all.... in fact the orig. ideal protein packs were not made with sucralose..it was only switched to that to appease the FDA. The doctor also stated that much is not known as to the long term effect of all the sugar substitutes and using them at a minimum is best.
The doctor even said that Sugar free gums can be allowed at a minimum too. His concern is that people will abuse the "at a minimum". The key is LESS IS MORE!

As to the sugar alcohols.. these do react differently in everybody. Some of us may have no spike in blood sugar and than some of us may...only experimentation will answer how each of us responds. I would avoid what you are not sure of.

I still have a lot of weight to lose(70#) so I have not even had a restricted item...I do not know what is in them...maybe someone else can answer that.

As for the labeling on products I also read what you posted to be true. I always count anything that says >1 as a full carb. To me less than one means one.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:04 AM   #131  

Height: 5'4"

SuperSweet...I loved your post. You really have a handle on the workings of IP....way better than me. Your post kept me on track today...knowing what a cheat could do and why.

Torchlaker,

Thank you, some times I feel like my whole life evolves around my diet....

I am glad you have a renewed sense to get to the finish line...you have done so well, so very well...just see it through your almost there!

I look at cheating as my decision to extend the diet and the cost!

If I can ever answer anything else please just post the question...I don't always post but lately I have seen so many questions with all different answers and I know first hand how difficult dieting is...we just have to remember it's only temporary!!!!!

Good Luck to you and remember you are not alone...even when it feels that way.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:39 AM   #132  
Started IP 2/16/10

S/C/G: 242/235.8/165

Height: 5'10"

I need a push to get me going. I finally got all the food I ordered...some from IP, & some from Lindora, but I'm having difficulty getting started. I'm under an extremely tight deadline for work (I own a design company), I've been up until the wee morning hours the last few nights, and starting a new eating plan is really the last thing on my mind. Well, not really. Just the last thing I can find motivation to get going.

I'm not sure it's strictly the job stress right now either. As I write this, I'm trying to be completely honest with myself (and you) and I think some of my hesitation to start is that danged 'ol thing called fear. Fear of failure mostly. Ugh! I need to get these conversations out of my head! Does anyone or has anyone else experienced these self-defeating conversations? How did you shake it?

I can't remember who said this the other day...it's 90% mental and 10% doing it! I'm trying to make that my new Mantra. So far, it's not working. Sorry this has been a mini novel, I just needed to release this frustration with myself and to see if anyone has any advice.

Thanks
Old 02-04-2010, 06:22 AM   #133  

S/C/G: 175/160.2/130

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicibel View Post
My Dr. told me that I should have the nighttime snack an hour before bed. The reason had something to do with digesting it while you are sleeping helps you lose more blah blah... Have any of you heard this? I am just wondering if I should have it and be done eating before 8 ( I have heard somebody say that helps). Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks
??? cicibel, I get hungry between lunch and dinner and my coach said that eating my snack at that time is fine. That it more important that I got my protein in, no matter what time. Does that make sense?
Old 02-04-2010, 06:23 AM   #134  

S/C/G: 175/160.2/130

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirlks View Post
Had weigh in on Monday and i was down 5.2 lbs and lost some inches!!!! Maybe I am off the naughty behavior and back on track!!!!! I want to be under 250 on my next appt!! I definately agree with everyone on the cost of this program!!! Thanks for the website with the cheaper but comparable products. I had often wondered how the slim fast products compare???
SlimFast is way high in carbs!!!!!! I looked.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:09 AM   #135  
Kris M

S/C/G: 254/185/135

Height: 5'6

Weighed in yesterday and dropped another 2 lbs! Makes my total for the month of January: 19 lbs!!! Have not been measured since first began the program, but know that my clothes are fitting much looser then ever and I am wearing pants 2 sizes smaller then before! This plan is such a Godsend!

Last edited by Mystical Mamma; 02-04-2010 at 07:16 AM.
Closed Thread