Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 10:23 PM   #136  

S/C/G: 190/168/138

Height: 5' 6"

I just remembered I had a question I meant to ask you all. One of those yucky ones. I've been struggling with constipation, not all that unusual for me, but more so on this diet. First my Coach had me add the IP enzymes, that did nothing. This week she had me take Milk of Magnesia, that more than does the trick the next day, but the day after nothing. I've noticed people mentioning Magnesium Citrate here. Is that something I can take a little bit of each day to keep things moving without the start/stop? Thanks!
Old 01-24-2010, 10:41 PM   #137  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermeyer View Post
Hello! It's been awhile since I've posted, but I've been trying to keep up with everyone's successes and struggles. I've been diligent again since Wednesday. I'm not expecting a huge loss tomorrow morning, but will be happy with a solid 3. I don't think I'll be letting myself cheat again anytime soon. It was just too hard to not cheat afterwards.

Showgirlaz, please share your curry recipes. I drove past my favorite Indian restaurant yesterday and was thinking "how long will it be before I can have some chicken tika masala and naan?" A looooooongggggg time! I love Indian food!
Hi Watermeyer! I am so glad you are back on track and joining the conversations again!

I am impressed! That must have taken such strength to wait all that extra time for a meal and then to stay perfectly on plan! You did good Girl!

I would be happy to post some of the recipes. Bear in mind, they are not really Indian food, just curries that make use of the spice. I helps. Definately not perfect but it helps! Give me a day or two to put them up. I have been posting recipes here that I need to take some time and move to the recipes thread. Also, I have my sister and nieces coming into town and I will be busy playing "nanny auntie" while my sister attends a conference.

Best wishes for the weigh in and I can't wait to hear more from you!

Carla
Old 01-24-2010, 10:43 PM   #138  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by elishatamar View Post
That is so awesome that you were able to fit into that dress. And just think, in a few weeks it'll probably look like a tent on you!

I just started a box of clothes to donate because they're too big for me, which now has 6-7 pairs of pants in it, two of which I got from Goodwill as "transitional" pants. I tried on a pair that was starting to get a little snug on me at Thanksgiving, right before I started IP... and I seriously felt like Jared from the Subway commercials, pulling the front away from me and seeing how much space there was!

This week is "rush" week for the pharmacy fraternities at Mercer, so Friday night I went out to one of the parties at a sports bar. I did break down and have a drink, but it was just a dirty martini and I took a carb blocker right before. They had some amazing looking spinach and artichoke dip, chips and guac, chicken tenders, grilled veggie wraps... I hadn't eaten since lunch before going, so I just took a few of the veggie wraps and threw out the tortillas, and scraped the breading off of a chicken tender. I got a few confused looks, but the compliments I received on how good I looked while dancing totally made it worthwhile. You know something's changed when straight guys in your class actually come up to you to ask if you've lost weight!

Do you believe that Carb Blockers work? I have considered them but there is not alot of info avail. except for advertisers.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:43 PM   #139  

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermeyer View Post
I just remembered I had a question I meant to ask you all. One of those yucky ones. I've been struggling with constipation, not all that unusual for me, but more so on this diet. First my Coach had me add the IP enzymes, that did nothing. This week she had me take Milk of Magnesia, that more than does the trick the next day, but the day after nothing. I've noticed people mentioning Magnesium Citrate here. Is that something I can take a little bit of each day to keep things moving without the start/stop? Thanks!
It seems to be something you can take in a few teasonpoon to tablespoon fulls and do ok. I know the bottle instructions say it should be used in full within 24 hours or thrown out so I am not sure how people are storing it if they use small quantities.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:48 PM   #140  

Thank you, Elishatamar! I can't wait for that dress to be tent-like!

Congrats to you! It must have been tempting to partake of the rush week goodies! It must have also been very gratifying to have the guys paying attention to you later! That is such a good feeling to be "noticed".

What have you learned about carb blockers? I am not sure I would want to use them but I am curious given your background. What impact do they have on the pancreas and insulin production?

Carla
Old 01-24-2010, 11:00 PM   #141  
THINGS HAPPEN 4 A REASON

S/C/G: 233/149./140 START IP 10/24/09

Height: 5' 2.5"

Default Wow

Quote:
That is so awesome that you were able to fit into that dress. And just think, in a few weeks it'll probably look like a tent on you!

I just started a box of clothes to donate because they're too big for me, which now has 6-7 pairs of pants in it, two of which I got from Goodwill as "transitional" pants. I tried on a pair that was starting to get a little snug on me at Thanksgiving, right before I started IP... and I seriously felt like Jared from the Subway commercials, pulling the front away from me and seeing how much space there was!

This week is "rush" week for the pharmacy fraternities at Mercer, so Friday night I went out to one of the parties at a sports bar. I did break down and have a drink, but it was just a dirty martini and I took a carb blocker right before. They had some amazing looking spinach and artichoke dip, chips and guac, chicken tenders, grilled veggie wraps... I hadn't eaten since lunch before going, so I just took a few of the veggie wraps and threw out the tortillas, and scraped the breading off of a chicken tender. I got a few confused looks, but the compliments I received on how good I looked while dancing totally made it worthwhile. You know something's changed when straight guys in your class actually come up to you to ask if you've lost weight!
3 more pounds and you get a reward!!! Keep up the great work.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:16 PM   #142  
THINGS HAPPEN 4 A REASON

S/C/G: 233/149./140 START IP 10/24/09

Height: 5' 2.5"

Wink WoooHooo

@showgirlaz-I loved the "unwrapping yourself." Wonderful expression. Thats just what it feels like. Congrats on your NSV- its nice to have an item to judge your losses on. Your doing fantastic and you've been a real help.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:34 PM   #143  
Start Date: 11/30/2009

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSweet View Post
Do you believe that Carb Blockers work? I have considered them but there is not alot of info avail. except for advertisers.
I actually got the white kidney bean extract that was recommended on this forum, and I carry it around to only use in "emergencies," because used with any frequency it can cause major bloating. It inhibits the digestive enzyme alpha amylase from breaking down starches into sugars, so they're not absorbed instead pass through you as if they were dietary fiber. It's not 100%, and it only works on starches, not sugars, but if you're in a bind it can come in handy. Alpha amylase is also not the only enzyme in your stomach that can break down starches, it's just the primary one, so if you use the pill too much the other enzymes will proliferate and take over. I've only used it twice... the first time was that time and my fiance had just ordered what is probably my favorite pizza from one of my favorite pizza restaurants... my weight loss did slow down that week, for obvious reasons, but it didn't kick me out of ketosis. I was pretty skeptical of whether or not it would work, but since that little strip still turned purple...

If you can keep it around for emergencies and manage to not have to use it hardly, I'm all for it. If, however, you're the kind of person who slips down that slope easily and will come up with reasons to use it multiple times in a week, then you should probably avoid getting it.

And I am very much looking forward to my reward in 3 lbs!
Old 01-24-2010, 11:49 PM   #144  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
I actually got the white kidney bean extract that was recommended on this forum, and I carry it around to only use in "emergencies," because used with any frequency it can cause major bloating. It inhibits the digestive enzyme alpha amylase from breaking down starches into sugars, so they're not absorbed instead pass through you as if they were dietary fiber. It's not 100%, and it only works on starches, not sugars, but if you're in a bind it can come in handy. Alpha amylase is also not the only enzyme in your stomach that can break down starches, it's just the primary one, so if you use the pill too much the other enzymes will proliferate and take over. I've only used it twice... the first time was that time and my fiance had just ordered what is probably my favorite pizza from one of my favorite pizza restaurants... my weight loss did slow down that week, for obvious reasons, but it didn't kick me out of ketosis. I was pretty skeptical of whether or not it would work, but since that little strip still turned purple...

If you can keep it around for emergencies and manage to not have to use it hardly, I'm all for it. If, however, you're the kind of person who slips down that slope easily and will come up with reasons to use it multiple times in a week, then you should probably avoid getting it.

And I am very much looking forward to my reward in 3 lbs!

Thanks so much for your response...I too am excited for you and your reward choice...will you post a picture of the new do?
Old 01-25-2010, 12:33 AM   #145  
WyoPrincess

S/C/G: 226/208/135

I see that a couple of you have mentioned mini-goals. Could you share more? I've realized that I've always rewarded myself with food and well, that just has to stop so I need some ideas. And how are you deciding what weight loss is your mini-goal, is it a percentage of the total weight you want to lose or is it just a weight that you personally chose?
Old 01-25-2010, 12:38 AM   #146  

I find myself turning on my computer more and more looking for support to do this program, and thank you all for that!

I have been spending more time pampering myself, doing my hair etc...I try to keep busy to avoid thinking about food.

This is my first night shift since starting this program, hoping it doesn't screw things up, and hoping I can tolerate being up all night and not cheating with the others in the ER, cause they always bring snacks to get through the night, fingers crossed!
Old 01-25-2010, 02:46 AM   #147  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry face View Post
I find myself turning on my computer more and more looking for support to do this program, and thank you all for that!

I have been spending more time pampering myself, doing my hair etc...I try to keep busy to avoid thinking about food.

This is my first night shift since starting this program, hoping it doesn't screw things up, and hoping I can tolerate being up all night and not cheating with the others in the ER, cause they always bring snacks to get through the night, fingers crossed!
Cherryface!

I just saw your message, I hope things are going well tonight. It's a nice thing to have permission to focus on yourself with pampering instead of food! I am also trying to keep my idle self busy with cleaning my closets, doing put-off house projects, and (as is obvious hehe) posting on here!

For me, talking on the boards, encouraging others, finding/sharing recipes is a great way for me to stay focused.

You can do the night shift! Keep a drink or pudding handy. You may wish to talk to your coach about how to handle 24 hours shifts, swing schedules, or night shifts. My past experience tells me you probably are supposed to add another snack or meal. We don't normal eat at night because we fast a bit as we sleep. If you are up all night that process changes. It would be far better, IMHO, that you have a "midnight" snack or light meal of a drink, pudding, cereal, or eggs from the IP packets than to have so much hunger that you crave & cheat.

Keep yourself hydrated and try to use herbal teas, mint or cinnamon, to stay awake over coffee. I know that might be a challenge too. Just remember the caffeine requires extra water intake if you go that route.

You can do this! You'll be just GREAT!
Old 01-25-2010, 06:31 AM   #148  
Started Ip on 12/19/09

S/C/G: 189/148/130

Height: 5'5"

Wagnomore: I started on the plan Dec. 19th.
I called eating broccoli and cauliflower a mistake because I saw that some coaches say no to them during the first phase. Mine did not. But I am going to stop. My progress has slowed down the last couple of weeks.

Showgirlaz: Thank you for the ideas. I am going to try to drink more water and take more salt.
I love the recipes. I am going to try them for the whole family. It would make the dinner process much easier if I made one meal for all of us.

Congratulations to everyone! I am so glad this blog is here for us to encourage each other. I don't feel like I am trying to do this by myself anymore.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:51 AM   #149  

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoPrincess View Post
I see that a couple of you have mentioned mini-goals. Could you share more? I've realized that I've always rewarded myself with food and well, that just has to stop so I need some ideas. And how are you deciding what weight loss is your mini-goal, is it a percentage of the total weight you want to lose or is it just a weight that you personally chose?
I know exactly what you mean about rewarding yourself with food, I had to come up with another way to do something that felt good. I love being pampered, so my first minigoal was a tossup between getting my hair done at a salon (normally I just go to a Supercuts or Great Clips, because they fit a student's budget) or getting a mani/pedi. Hair is a very... transitional thing for me; I remember I made a lot of changes in my life early 2005, and as part of a "new life, new me" thing I got the best cut and color that I've had to date.

I chose the weight for my goal pretty arbitrarily, somewhere that looked like it would be around the two month mark. I started out with 150 lbs, because that's such a nice number, but changed it to 155 when I took a good look at my roots. :-) And really, size-wise I'm almost at where I was when I was 150 lbs, so it's like I've reached that in essence. :-)
Old 01-25-2010, 08:02 AM   #150  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry face View Post

Oh man, I hear what you're saying about people bringing you sweets... one pharmacy that I work at every few weeks has a pharmacy manager who fills the place with gummy candies, which are some of my favorites. And then over Christmas, the pharmacy I regularly work at, filled up two hand-held baskets of gifts from customers, all cookies and chocolates and rice-krispy treats... I ended up getting a little box and putting a few select items in it and they're in the back of my pantry now, behind all my IP food, to enjoy once I finish.

Just try and keep accessible things that are on plan... and if you need a 4th packet, that's okay! It's obviously not ideal, but it's better to get in a 4th packet that only has about 100 calories in it and few carbs than it is to have something someone gives you with who knows what nutritional content. You can do it, you have the willpower to get this far, so there's no reason you can go all the way!
Closed Thread