3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Ideal Protein Diet - Monthly Chat - November 2009 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/185492-ideal-protein-diet-monthly-chat-november-2009-a.html)

joshb 11-16-2009 12:28 AM

I heard the pomegranite drink and the jello helped with loose skin.
Btw once you get to your goal weight and are experiencing loose skin, ask around for a burn center, they do the skin cutting surgeries absolutely free because they want the skinto help burn victims.

ukandewit 11-16-2009 12:33 AM

I'd never heard that about burn centers Josh...interesting!

I've been off this site for days, and was literally driving myself crazy trying to get on last week. Glad to be back! I saw someone asked about salsa. I use it pretty regularly, as with all the other veggies I'm chopping I don't feel like doing tomatoes too. (lazy) I get the fresh garden salsa that doesn't have anything extra added...just veggies, and use it as as a "restricted" in my soups and sometimes on salads, or lettuce wraps. I make a mean chicken taco.

ottawa 11-16-2009 09:10 AM

I make a mean chicken taco.[/QUOTE]

Do you use the lettuce as a wrap for your chicken taco or something else? Sounds good and I think that is what I will have for dinner tonight or maybe tomorrow. I was also considering having the burger using porto mushrooms as the bun for dinner which sounds really good to me!!

I was concerned about trying different things to eat until I was sure that the diet was going to work for me and as a the first month has gone well (14.5 lbs) which is 1/2 of what I need to lose I am ready to experiment.

Glad to hear that the white wine should not throw things off very much as the holiday season is coming soon and it would be nice to be able to participate in toasts etc.

torchlaker 11-16-2009 10:03 AM

Loreleim - I thought of using flaxseed too, but didn't know if it would affect the diet, cuz I would assume it is a grain. That is why I have been holding off on the Miralax, too. Altho it doesn't list what "sweetener" is in it, it does taste sweet. My doc looked it up, and it didn't list anything in the ingredients, but I keep asking myself, "What makes it sweet?"

I was told you COULD have low-sodium broth. I tried to make chicken soup with it last week....had to add seasalt...was pretty tasteless. I dohave to check out those Nesteas with Splenda.

My new "addiction" is butterscotch pudding with sugarfree DiVinci Syrup in it..."pumpkin pie". This time of the year, I always want apples and pumpkin pie. I keep eyeing the apples.....maybe next fall.

Don't have any burn centers near me...I can deal with most of my loose skin except I have never add loose skin under the arms (filled them out!!)..and now I do. Someone told me that my body will eventually adjust (face included), and some elasticity will naturally be restored. Wonder if that is true?

Is anyone using supplements that are "near" what IP sells but less expensive? Trying to cut corners however I can. I guess I am thinking about the "long run" -- what will I eat when I can't have bars? Or chocolate soy puffs? Or puddings? I go on "maintenance" in 29 days while I am out of town and trying to stock up.

elishatamar 11-16-2009 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torchlaker (Post 3014048)
Altho it doesn't list what "sweetener" is in it, it does taste sweet. My doc looked it up, and it didn't list anything in the ingredients, but I keep asking myself, "What makes it sweet?"

The active ingredient in Miralax is polyethylene glycol, and I'm pretty sure that it's naturally a sweet-tasting compound.

TashaW 11-16-2009 11:07 AM

Hello everyone:)))

I have now been on the plan for 10 days. I did great for 7 days and lost 8lbs that week. That day I had a slip up for dinner but got right bakc on the plan perfectly and have been for the past 2 days. My wieght has not goneup but it certainly isn't going down. I am a little frustrated but trying realy hard not to be. I saw such huge results and it is probably foolish to think it woul dcontiune past the first week

Hope everyone is doing great:)

elishatamar 11-16-2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torchlaker (Post 3013703)
So...I wonder...what actually makes this IP work? Is it that it is lowcarb, high protein? Is it the soy? Is it because it is lowfat, or low calorie. I am just glad it works....but I want to know WHY!

Conjecture... what makes you lose weight on this diet is the low calorie. Simply put, if you're expending more calories than you're consuming, you're going to lose weight.

The following is a biochemistry lecture, I won't feel bad if you skip it.

Carbohydrates are your body's main source of fuel... most everything gets broken down to glucose or fructose, and that's what drives your body's metabolism. It's broken down to either produce energy or make stuff your body needs. So when you eat carbohydrates, glucose gets into your blood stream and (if it's working correctly) your pancreas produces insulin to take it out of your blood stream to either be burned and make energy, or stored as a molecule called "glycogen," which is just a bunch of sugar molecules stitched together. Glycogen is stored in your muscles for quick retrieval, because it breaks back down into glucose pretty quickly when you need it. Your body can only use so much fuel, though, so what it's stored as glycogen or burned as fuel gets turned into other things the body needs, like proteins for muscle and enzymes or fats for membranes and long-term storage. It makes sense... if you work out more often, you need more fuel, so less is available to make storage fats.

Now, your body needs fuel even if you're not taking in carbohydrates, so it has figured out how to break down proteins and fats and burn those instead of glucose <i>only when it has to</i>. Definition: a calorie is a measure of the amount of energy it takes to heat up one cc of water by one degree Celsius. What you see on the nutrition label actually refers to a kilocalorie, so when it says "this drink only contains 5 calories!" it's actually saying that you would need to expend enough energy to heat 5 liters of water by one degree Celsius to burn off that drink. Fortunately, your body consumes a ton of energy on its own, so 5 kilocalories isn't much. You can also think of it as, this drink is storing 5 kilocalories. Proteins and carbohydrates store 4 kilocalories per gram, and fats store 9 kilocalories per gram. What this means is that your body will burn up more carbohydrates and proteins to get the same amount of energy out some fat (9 grams of protein will be burned to expend 36 kcals vs. only 4 grams of fat burned to expend 36 kcals).

The thing to be careful with in low-carb diets is that your body will break down both proteins and fats to get the energy it needs, so if you don't want to have crazy muscle loss you need to eat enough protein to be burned instead of muscle. You don't want to eat too much protein, though, because then that excess will either be burned instead of fat, or it will be turned into fat. When fat is broken down, it leaves a byproduct of ketone bodies that get flushed out in your urine... that's why the ketone sticks can measure if you're losing fat or not.

Back to this diet:
That's the nice thing about IP, is along with controlling your caloric and carbohydrate intake, it's limiting the amount of protein that you can have, so you don't go overboard on it. Also, when the protein you eat is more easily assimilated in your body, it helps to make sure you burn that before you burn muscle. Remember: not all proteins are created equal!

So in short, this diet theoretically works by being low calorie, low fat, low carb, minimally high protein, and because of the type of protein that you're consuming.

And here's a great visual: if you make your hands into loose fists and put them together, that's about the size of a pound of fat. So even if you "only" lose 3 lbs a week, as long as it's fat you're losing, that's the size of six fists melting off of your body! That's amazing!

Lilita175 11-16-2009 11:25 AM

20 pounds gone!

I did it! I hit the 20 pounds gone mark. This diet works!

I started on Oct. 14, 2009.

Keep going everyone!

TashaW 11-16-2009 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilita175 (Post 3014199)
I did it! I hit the 20 pounds gone mark. This diet works!

I started on Oct. 14, 2009.

Keep going everyone!

Yayyyyyy WTG that is awesome!!!

echobaby 11-16-2009 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torchlaker (Post 3013703)
Wonderful, wonderful posts!! I haven't been on the puter all weekend; i was getting SO frustrated when Icouldn't get on. Am actually looking forward to weighin because I think I did everything right this week. I am so excited that I am in the 150's....but hate that nothing fits! I am living in 2 outfits!! i hate to shop, but I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and get some jeans..but I still have 18# to go...seems like a stupid purchase right now.

I can't remember who was having the problems with the constipation...I am now in my 3rd month, and still wrestling with that problem. I do take a "colon cleanse" and 2 Colace every night, but not much moves. I usually have to resort to a laxative on Sunday nights, and i hate doing that...but I also hate those toxins in my body. Doc finally said I could do the Miralax, but the thought of putting it in water makes me gag. I alwlays have problems when I go on a new diet, new medication, etc with my inards.....but I sure wish that would clear up fo rme already.

OK - I did try making the soycrisps into breading...adding some spices. It looks like it will work. I thought they would blend down to nothing (like pork rinds did), but out of 2 bags, I cut about 1-1/2 cups. Pretty expensive breading.

AND I also tried just buying butterscotch pudding and adding soymilk and protein powder to it. It didn't work. It didn't thicken up, and tasted awful. If i ever get time, I think I will go on Netrition.com, since they give the nutrition data for all their products. A note here....sugarfee pudding had 6g. carbs (not including the milk -- which I thought would be about 7g. carbs..and no protein. Our IP puddings have 18 g of protein, and only 2 carbs...Doubt if I can find anything edible with that much protein.

So...I wonder...what actually makes this IP work? Is it that it is lowcarb, high protein? Is it the soy? Is it because it is lowfat, or low calorie. I am just glad it works....but I want to know WHY!

I don't think IP uses soy protien. I'll have to wait til I get home to check my written IP materials, but I'm almost certain the protien is derived from casien
which is milk based. Actually, Id be nervous if it was soy protien because of the way it acts on estrogen. I'll post what I find out.

Today I have to meet the Sears repair guy who's going to give me an estimate on replacing the belt on my 10 year old treadmill. I figure, if I'm going watch back to back episodes of Law and Order, I might as well do it while at least walking.

BumpyMcPickles 11-16-2009 01:07 PM

I've been reading thru the posts - if youre having trouble with constipation you can use Magnesium Citrate. It's very inexpensive (about $2.00 a bottle) and you can get it pretty much at any grocery store/pharmacy. I just heard about it this morning and apparently it works. I myself used the Senokot and it seemed to take forever to work

Sandrab 11-16-2009 01:16 PM

I really appreciated the info our pharmaceutical student posted. It is interesting, benificial, and motivating to have read that. I have already made "fists" several times today, checking out that concept. I think my boss is getting nervous!!

echobaby 11-16-2009 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elishatamar (Post 3014073)
The active ingredient in Miralax is polyethylene glycol, and I'm pretty sure that it's naturally a sweet-tasting compound.

Woa!! Isn't that antifreeze? I take it, too. Hmmmm...

Ogdog13 11-16-2009 02:37 PM

Seaweed

Is Seaweed allowed on this diet? It is a form of sea algae and algae is allowed.

Ogdog13 11-16-2009 02:44 PM

Alfalfa

Does Alfalfa = alfalfa sprouts? I can't find any recipes on just plain old alfalfa.

echobaby 11-16-2009 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogdog13 (Post 3014452)
Is Seaweed allowed on this diet? It is a form of sea algae and algae is allowed.

Yeah. When i was doing atkins I looked it up. Hardly any carbs.

I think alfafa means the sprouts. The grown up alfalfa is grass. My neighbor buys bales of it for his critters.

spatime 11-16-2009 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BumpyMcPickles (Post 3014316)
I've been reading thru the posts - if youre having trouble with constipation you can use Magnesium Citrate. It's very inexpensive (about $2.00 a bottle) and you can get it pretty much at any grocery store/pharmacy. I just heard about it this morning and apparently it works. I myself used the Senokot and it seemed to take forever to work

Don't know if I posted this before or sent private im's but psyllium capsules by 'NOW' brand is a very natural fiber that helps with this problem. (in an orange and blue bottle), and it is good for you!

Optichick1 11-16-2009 08:14 PM

Hi Everyone! I, too, was completely frustrated when I couldn't get on the site...I count on being able to go back and read posts for encouragement and also, to find little hints, that I remember seeing. I have had a little trouble with constipation....still going :), but not as often as I probably should. I'm going to mention it to my coach tomorrow and I'll let you know what she says. Tomorrow is my 3rd weigh in. I wish I could go 1st thing in the morning, instead of at noon. I just feel like I weigh less then. According to my scales...before I get dressed, I have lost about a pound each day and on Sat. I was 199.6! Haven't been below 200 in several years! But, this am, I was 200, so who knows, what tomorrow will bring.
One cool thing....I must be losing alot of inches in my chest, cause I went into my closet tonight after work and tried on 4 or 5 shirts that are 1X (instead of 2X) and they all fit reallly well! Couldn't believe it! Pretty exciting for me, maybe pretty soon I'll be trying on XL's Ha-Ha!
I had my garlic mashed cauliflower tonight with roast and green beans. It was delish!

MeghanO 11-16-2009 09:00 PM

My Wellness Coach verified that she would like me to stay between 20-25 carbs a day. I have tracked it after the fact the past 2 days & have been in the 40's!!! I have noticed that my 2 favorite veggies, Green Pepper & Zucchini has high carb counts compared to the other veggies I am putting in my mouth. Also, my packets for week 2 were HIGH. So starting on Wednesday, I will do soup, pudding & 1 drink to help with the carb count.

What is everyone elses fall back on veggie? Mine WERE zucchini & green pepper. I will still eat them, just not as often...

torchlaker 11-16-2009 09:06 PM

Elisha -- that was a great explanation. I kinda remember some of that from when I was on the Zone Diet (glycogen, etc.). I put my fists together and decided I was pretty darn impressed with my self!! I did copy that and put it into my IP file. Thank you. NOW....any idea how we can substitute? I sometimes buy 5 boxes a week, so I can have my treats....especially the puddings. What would I look for in another product?

Lilitta...you are doing amazingly well! I am impressed!

Actually, in all honesty, I AM impressed with the diet...it is just starting to be a drag on me financially. I thought I had set enough funds aside to do this. Doc thought I would be at goal by the end of November (well, I will be close...her goal for me was 150)...but I wanted 140 (probably always want what I cannot have).

Found a pair of jeans in my back closet to fit me. Tried to alter again today but the phone kept ringing off the hook...and with people I LIKE talking to. A lot of my clothes were 1X and 2X.....I wonder what size I am now. Financially, I can't afford any new clothes until I hit goal. I am taking at least 1-1/2" out of each side of tshirts and tops....and about the same in pants. I probably will buy myself something new before I head down to Ohio at Christmas.

Is anyone else's hair and skin really dry? I have been so frustrated cuz my hair wouldn't shine, no matter what I put into it. My skin and hands are dry. Today, I just slapped olive oil all over my hair, legs and hands and arms and let it sit there. I don't know if it is the diet, the heat in the house, etc. One would think I would be pretty hydrated with all this water...but there is very little fat. Anyways, tonight (at least) my hair looks healthier than it has in almost 2 months. Good old EVOO -- sure hope it doesn't affect weight loss if applied topically.

Weighin is tomorrow. I can't really tell what I did. My scale shows I have lost some....

Sandrab 11-16-2009 09:12 PM

hmmm - zuchinni and peppers are high in carbs? so now some of our everyday veggies are sort of restricted. not liking that at all, i have read that in earlier posts about mushrooms and cabbage as well. but what the heck is goiing to happen when we start reintroducing "reality foods"... scary...definitely asking some questions at our info session tomorrow!

Ogdog13 11-17-2009 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeghanO (Post 3014987)
My Wellness Coach verified that she would like me to stay between 20-25 carbs a day. I have tracked it after the fact the past 2 days & have been in the 40's!!! I have noticed that my 2 favorite veggies, Green Pepper & Zucchini has high carb counts compared to the other veggies I am putting in my mouth. Also, my packets for week 2 were HIGH. So starting on Wednesday, I will do soup, pudding & 1 drink to help with the carb count.

What is everyone elses fall back on veggie? Mine WERE zucchini & green pepper. I will still eat them, just not as often...

Meghan, I put all kinds of recipes for the allowed veggies on the recipes page!! Go wild girl! :carrot:

torchlaker 11-17-2009 08:37 AM

SandraB -- I will be REAL interested to see what new info you can share with us from your info session. I am going to suggest today that we do something similar at our drs. office. I wish we could start a support group around here. I guess I would offer my house, but then I would have to clean it!!

Optichick1 11-17-2009 01:29 PM

Just had my 3rd weigh in....lost 3 more pounds since Friday! So, my total loss (on their scale) is 9.4. I think I've really lost around 12. I calibrated my scale to theirs and I weigh in the morning before I eat or dress. But I'm happy with either!
I did ask about the constipation problem and she also recommends the Magnesium Citrate - 2 tsp. per day. She said if kept in the fridge, it is good for 30 days.
Here's to a great week for everyone!

ottawa 11-17-2009 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeghanO (Post 3014987)
[B]My Wellness Coach verified that she would like me to stay between 20-25 carbs a day. I have tracked it after the fact the past 2 days & have been in the 40's!!! .

Was that 20-25 gross carbs or net carbs that was recommended? Net carbs have been explained to me as the total number of carbs in something minus the dietary fiber.

SylvieG 11-17-2009 04:09 PM

Weigh in tonight...

Hello to all!

Have my weigh in tonight an I still don't know if I will be :D or :(... Had a few "tasting" experiences over the last two weeks and wonder if it affected my ketosis. 2 sips of red wine here, cake frosting that happened to be on my had when I was cooking for the kids (boys, 9 & 7 y.o.)... At one point I almost reached for the hazelnut spread (for myself :o ) and grabbed a IP chocolate bar instead and therefore ate 4 proteins portions in that day :halfempty

Find it harder and harder to stick to the plan - motivation is not as present as it was in the first weeks. End of phase 1 is in sight but I wonder if I will get there in a timely manner...

echobaby 11-17-2009 04:41 PM

Anybody in phase 2? Or beyond? Just curious if the weightloss slows dramatically in ph.2. Look at me, all gettin ahead of myself.

20bydec 11-17-2009 05:14 PM

Getting frustrated by the 2#/week weight loss. I think i'm following the plan. would having some type of flavoring in my water make that much difference. I just want to lose 5# this week.
Then i look at my inches lost and I've lost 16". WOW!! I just have to try on some of my clothes that were tight and that motivates me again.

so SylvieG - go try on some clothes that were tight. DO NOT GIVE UP OR GIVE IN!! You can do this.

Our center is getting some BBQ chips & some cookies and creme bars next week. I really like the cranberry pomegranate bar.

lmelsh 11-17-2009 05:35 PM

my nieghbor had your problem but didnt last very long.

torchlaker 11-17-2009 06:18 PM

Weighed in...lost 2-1/2#. Was a bit disappointed because MY scale showed more than that....but I lost 2% body fat in one week (is that possible?). BMI is 25.7 (under 25 is considered normal). SO...all in all, I am happy. I even went to the consignment store and bought 3 pairs of stretch jeans...get this....2-12's and ONE 10! No wonder I can't alter my jeans....Any jeans that buttoned were 18's...and those that had elastic waists were 14's! They all need hemming (oh no...more altering??!).

Doc thinks I should go on Phase 2...since I am only 7# from the goal THEY set for me. My goal was 140 -- but they don't think I should go that low (low? I used to weigh 125!!). I told them I am not ready. Actually, I am scared. I know I will gain weight over the holidays no matter what I do, since I can't afford to buy 3 weeks of IP before I go....I will be at 4 different houses. I have been searching for bars or hot cereal that would be near the same nutrition value but cheaper just to get me thru those 3 weeks. Still working on it. I asked if I would lose weight on Phase 2...and she said "some" -- OK -- some isn't enough!! Apparently, you don't lose weight in Phase 3...you start maintaining. Just nervous, I guess.

SylviaG...I am with you. It has been a long 12 weeks. I still have some motivation left to try to get as low as I can before I leave for Ohio...but will I have motivation when I return??? How did Valkyrie do this since February??? I still am thrilled that I went on IP....and I have no one but myself to blame for not losing faster since I eat more than one restricted a day....

Ah well.....

MeghanO 11-17-2009 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogdog13 (Post 3015410)
Meghan, I put all kinds of recipes for the allowed veggies on the recipes page!! Go wild girl! :carrot:

You are right Ogdog, you put a TON of recipes up. That was alot of information from the last time I looked on there. Thanks for all of your time & effort with that!

Everybody, go check out the RECIPES again if you have not looked lately!

Weigh in TOMORROW!!
Meghan

joshb 11-17-2009 09:16 PM

Hey guys, I did my weight in like..30 mins ago haha.
I lost 8.2 pounds this week.
So I lost 24 pounds in 2 weeks woot!

Sandrab 11-17-2009 09:32 PM

hi there!

well i was not able to attend that meeting after all to ask the questions i had. however i was able to talk to the IP rep privately for a few minutes today when i went for my weigh in. they are staying in town for a few days to meet with new clients. i asked alot about the beverages - as like others - finding not many options. he said definite no to any nutrasweet, aspertime flavored drinks. also a no to the perrier water, which was contrary to what i was told before. so glad i only had one bottle!! he confirmed that i can eat more than the 2 cups of "allowed veggies" as someone recently confirmed on this site. for sweeteners they told me that i can use splenda, as i knew, but not more than 4 packets per day. he also said one can use equal!! did not know that. as for the WF products - to still limit them even though they claim 0 everything, because that is only true in very small amounts. i forgot to ask about the green cabbage!! i have been making a homemade coleslaw that is really good, and marinates well. then i read that green cabbage is not that great. tomorrow i am going to ask about that. i am maintaining approx 4lbs loss per week and have lost 34 inches to date. i am only half way to my goal, but this is the first time i have been able to say that for a very long time. what crosses my mind, more than ever now that my goal is in sight, is how the **** did i ever let myself get here in the first place!! and now, for the first time in 8 years, feel i am really going to "make it" ! i just know i am not going to be sitting here again. that is the true value of this diet for me folks. something about the education of how your body reacts to what your eating, combined with actual results, really provides me with the confidence that there will be no "round 2" of this diet or any other diet for me. i have not felt that way in the past. i really am believing in the "last diet your ever on" theory. and for me, that speaks volumes.....

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar-re...7/160/194/.png

ukandewit 11-17-2009 10:35 PM

Torchlaker, I had to laugh when I read that you marinated yourself in olive oil. (And might have to do the same to my hair!) When I first started I bought some honey body butter, and was mildly concerned that I'd someone absorb carbs through my skin (it contains sugar). I'm not quite as freaked out about it now.

I saw someone asked for flavoring ideas for water - I don't mind plain water, but occasionally throw a lemon wedge, or a tea bag into my water to add some flavor. My favorite is "raspberry zinger", but I like plain green tea, or berry flavored green or black tea too. I just throw the tea bag right into my 30 oz bottle of ice water (so no hot brewing). No carbs, calories, or sugar. I usually order iced tea if I go out to eat too.

ukandewit 11-17-2009 10:44 PM

" as for the WF products - to still limit them even though they claim 0 everything, because that is only true in very small amounts. "

Our coach said the same thing about the WF products - recommended measuring/portioning them too- everything in moderation. I just bought the WF marshmellow. Peeeeeee-yuke. Oh well, won't have to worry about over indulging there. ;)

I just got the sugar free Heinz ketchup that a few others have tried too -- it does have a few carbs, but I assume those are naturally occurring (because tomatoes have carbs) as it is sweetened with Splenda. It's really good. I plan to "switch over" to that for good. My daughter likes it too.

Mirazon 11-17-2009 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogdog13 (Post 3015410)
Meghan, I put all kinds of recipes for the allowed veggies on the recipes page!! Go wild girl!

Thanks so much for the recipes. They are very helpful!

Optichick1 11-17-2009 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukandewit (Post 3016538)
" as for the WF products - to still limit them even though they claim 0 everything, because that is only true in very small amounts. "

Our coach said the same thing about the WF products - recommended measuring/portioning them too- everything in moderation. I just bought the WF marshmellow. Peeeeeee-yuke. Oh well, won't have to worry about over indulging there. ;)

I just got the sugar free Heinz ketchup that a few others have tried too -- it does have a few carbs, but I assume those are naturally occurring (because tomatoes have carbs) as it is sweetened with Splenda. It's really good. I plan to "switch over" to that for good. My daughter likes it too.

Well, how much is too much? I only use the Thousand Island Dressing, but I use it 2X each day and douse the salad pretty good.

Mirazon 11-17-2009 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ottawa (Post 3015921)
Was that 20-25 gross carbs or net carbs that was recommended? Net carbs have been explained to me as the total number of carbs in something minus the dietary fiber.

I was told 20 -25 was gross carbs. Which I don't really understand since the fiber is not absorbed and would not effect ketosis. I'll be interested in what others have heard.

ottawa 11-18-2009 07:59 AM

SylviaG...I am with you. It has been a long 12 weeks. I still have some motivation left to try to get as low as I can before I leave for Ohio...but will I have motivation when I return??? How did Valkyrie do this since February??? I still am thrilled that I went on IP....and I have no one but myself to blame for not losing faster since I eat more than one restricted a day....

Torchlaker, you have been an inspiration to alot of us here and I think you maybe in a better position during subsequent phases than most of us, as your body is used to more carbs (due to having the additional restricted items) and therefore you might not have as many problems with maintenance phases and weight gain.

Just wanted to share with others my cure for constipation which is a tea that I have found in some Health Food stores here in Ontario Canada. The tea is called "Effective Dietary Oolong tea" and if you let it steep for aprox 5 minutes, the next day your problem is no longer constipation. Sometimes things flow a little better than I would wish for but I only resort to this maybe 1 a week. No carbs, sodium etc. I pay $5.98 (Cdn) for 20 bags but seems to be better on my system than other types of laxitives.

It tastes terrible so I add lemon juice and some splenda.

Harmonymom2 11-18-2009 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandrab (Post 3016436)
hi there!

i asked alot about the beverages - as like others - finding not many options. he said definite no to any nutrasweet, aspertime flavored drinks.... he also said one can use equal!! did not know that...
http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar-re...7/160/194/.png

Ummm, Equal is aspartame. Either we can have it, or we can't. I use it anyway, because there's no way I'm getting all of my water in without Crystal Light.

For those of you who are dedicated to only sweetening with Splenda, I find that MOST of the other water-flavoring brands, i.e. Lipton, and store brands, use sucralose, aka Splenda. I just really dislike the stuff.