3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Ideal Protein Diet - Monthly Chat - November 2009 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/185492-ideal-protein-diet-monthly-chat-november-2009-a.html)

echobaby 11-23-2009 11:37 PM

Garlic and Chicken

Quote:

Originally Posted by torchlaker (Post 3023584)
OgDog: I want to thank you for taking the time to post all those recipes...that must have taken forever. Today is the first chance I had to actually go thru them.

Does anyone remember a recipe where you put a bunch of garlic cloves in the cavity of a chicken? since I am eating alone on Thanksgiving, and don't want stuffing, I thought I would try that.....but can't remember anything beyond the cloves? (maybe there isn't anything else...lol!!)

Haven't been feeling too good the last few days so barely have gotten to the forum...but there are wonderful posts. I don't weigh in until Wednesday of this week, and doubt if I have lost anything (at least that is what my scale says....). I did order some things from Netrition to help me stay "nearly" on IP while I am gone in December....have no idea how they will taste. I sure couldn't find any puddings that had 18g. of protein in them!!

Have just been reading what is involved in Phase II...etc. Whew...that part isn't a whole lot easier. Still staying on plan and keeping myself busy so I don't think about Thanksgiving (and families) too much....

Hi, Torchlaker. Are you talking about James Beard's 40 clove chicken? Oh, man that is good. I'll get someone at work to help me send you the link tomorrow morning. As I've said before, I'm somewhat of a computer dummy. MMMmm, garlic....

Mirazon, you are doing fantastic. I have no doubt you will succeed. You're averaging more than 5 lbs. a week..way to go!

toomanycats 11-24-2009 12:36 AM

Here is a site/recipe for roasted chicken & garlic. It might be what you are looking for. Most of the others cut up the chicken but this one leaves it whole.

http://almostbourdain.blogspot.com/2...of-garlic.html

looks good, I think I will try it too!

ottawa 11-24-2009 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torchlaker (Post 3023584)
Does anyone remember a recipe where you put a bunch of garlic cloves in the cavity of a chicken? since I am eating alone on Thanksgiving, and don't want stuffing, I thought I would try that.....but can't remember anything beyond the cloves? (maybe there isn't anything else...lol!!)

Haven't been feeling too good the last few days so barely have gotten to the forum...but there are wonderful posts. I don't weigh in until Wednesday of this week, and doubt if I have lost anything (at least that is what my scale says....). I did order some things from Netrition to help me stay "nearly" on IP while I am gone in December....have no idea how they will taste. I sure couldn't find any puddings that had 18g. of protein in them!!

Have just been reading what is involved in Phase II...etc. Whew...that part isn't a whole lot easier. Still staying on plan and keeping myself busy so I don't think about Thanksgiving (and families) too much....

Torchlaker: Sorry to hear you were not feeling well. Hope you are better today!!

Wonderful receipe link supplied for the garlic chicken, you can also stuff the garlic cloves and 2-3 lemons cut in half inside the cavity of the bird, which surprisingly gives the meat a really nice flavour and has the benefit of being one of the seasonings that we are allowed.

Keep up the good work, you have had the will power to get where you are today so you know you can get through all of the holidays!!!!!:)

ottawa 11-24-2009 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockyemom (Post 3019855)
ottawa - I have been on IP for almost 8 weeks and have lost about 29lbs - that averages to about 3 1/2 lbs per week which is good, I know. I had a couple of weeks early on when I cheated so that has brought my numbers down. My aim is about 4 lbs per week, so when I get less than 2 (when I've worked hard at it) I get disappointed.

They also measured my inches and I lost about 1/2 inch last week, so that was OK.

You are right -- I have been able to wear clothes that I haven't worn in years or that I have worn, but not very well ;-)

I left the centre last week with the resolve to work really hard this week and see where it gets me, so I'm optimistic that I can do it. Unfortunately this will be a tough weekend for me since we'll be out of town at a hockey tournament for my son -- but I'm bringing all of my IP products and will do my best to order well when we go out to restaurants.

Thanks for the support. :-)

HockeyMom: Just wanted to say hello and see how you made out on the weekend and see how your son did at the tourament?

hockyemom 11-24-2009 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ottawa (Post 3023875)
HockeyMom: Just wanted to say hello and see how you made out on the weekend and see how your son did at the tourament?

Thanks for checking in ottawa -- well, I had a great time at the tournament and my son's team lost in overtime in the semi-finals so that was a success too.
As for my eating plan, not so good -- I had some alcohol and 'normal' food on Saturday so as far as that goes, didn't do very well. I weighed in yesterday and stayed the same as last week. Basically a wasted week, but am now back on track and looking forward to giving it my all to have a few great weeks before Christmas.

I'm getting a bit frustrated with my coach -- some of the comments that he makes are very frustrating -- I know he is trying to help, but his comments often do the exact opposite. I feel like he is great with the physiology of nutrition, fitness, etc but doesn't know ANYthing about the psychology of dieting -- of how people think/feel and what different people need to be motivated.

He has said things to me like:
".... maybe we should have you eat things that you don't like so you won't eat so much of them." (when talking about how I am quite fussy and don't like a lot of veggies) -- I found this one really insulting and seemed like he was implying that I am eating too much -- which I absolutely am not.

-- when I mentioned that I would like to be at 145lbs before Christmas, he said "so you can be at 150 after?!" -- I know that even people not concerned about their weight tend to gain over the holidays, but I think there are better ways to 'warn' me about that kind of stuff.

-- oh yeah, I almost forgot this one -- when I told him that my ultimate goal is 140lbs, he said "I think you can do better than that, try to think about how much you weighed when you were 17?" I told him that was probably around 110lbs and he said "I think you can do that" -- seriously!!!?? How many women in their 40s weigh what they did when they were 17?? Am I crazy to think that that is a ridiculous thought?? I'm pretty sure that our bodies change a bit in those 20+ years and that it isn't very reasonable to aim to be what we were when we were teenagers. If I'm off-base here, please let me know. I think we need to be realistic about our bodies, our lifestyle, etc when we're doing this, right??

The biggest problem that I have with him is that he doesn't understand that there are foods that I just don't like! Last week, I got upset with him and told him: "I'm not being spoiled or difficult, I just can't eat certain foods" -- every week he tries to convince me that they aren't so bad and that basically I should just 'get over it'. Grrrrrrrr

OK - that's it for my venting -- despite my grumbling, I am feeling very positive about moving forward and being successful with this program -- so far I've done really well (except for a couple of weeks when the scale didn't move as much as I thought it should), so I'm looking forward to even more success.

We have a wedding to go to on Dec. 19th and I'm really looking forward to going out to buy a 'hot' dress to wear to it. That's my motivation right now!!!

Thanks for 'listening' to me vent!!! ;)

torchlaker 11-24-2009 09:53 AM

40 cloves? 40 cloves? do I have to peel them all? (Here I was thinking 10!!). Yeah, I would appreciate the recipe....always wanted to try it, but everyone always wanted stuffing!! Geez, I hate to go near a grocery store tomorrow, but I sure don't have 40 cloves!!

Mirazon!! Way to go!! I am so proud of you! You have been consistent, and it is paying off! You started a week after me!! How long since you have seen the TWO's??

Echobaby: I see that our goal is nearly the same.....altho I might have to amend that. I wanted to be at least 149 by the time I left for Cleveland on Dec.15th...I wish I could say I felt wonderful on IP....but I still struggle with my inerds!! It seems like I am always tired, and I think that is because things just don't work right down there. I am having a colonscopy on Dec.14th...maybe that will explain some things.

echobaby 11-24-2009 11:18 AM

Hey, Torchlaker! We'll make it to our minigoals, I feel certain. Good luck with your colonoscopy.

Here's the James Beard, which I've had(my friend made it) DELICIOUS!!! No peeling if the cloves, but toomanycats is right, it's not for a whole chicken. If you make it, let us know how it turns out.

Mirazon, you have inspired me to only go off plan on Thanksgiving Day. No potluck, no Birthday celebrating with food. Thanks!

by James Beard
featured in Epicurean Delight: The Life and Times of James Beard
by Evan Jones
(Alfred A. Knopf, 1990)
Serves 8

“[This is] a Provençal recipe that I taught for years in my classes,” James Beard said, “and one that never failed to astonish the students because the garlic cloves become so mild and buttery when they’re cooked through!”

convert Ingredients
2/3 cup olive oil
8 chicken drumstick and thighs (or 16 of either)
4 ribs celery, cut in long strips
2 medium onions, chopped
6 sprigs parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon, or 1 teaspoon dried
1/2 cup dry vermouth
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Pinch nutmeg
40 cloves garlic, unpeeled

Method
1. Put the oil in a shallow dish, add the chicken pieces, and turn them to coat all sides evenly with the oil.

2. Cover the bottom of a heavy 6-quart casserole with a mixture of the celery and onions, add the parsley and tarragon, and lay the chicken pieces on top. Pour the vermouth over them, sprinkle with salt and pepper, add a dash or two of nutmeg, and tuck the garlic cloves around and between the chicken pieces. Cover the top of the casserole tight with aluminum foil and then the lid (this creates an air-tight seal so the steam won’t escape). Bake in a 375°oven for 1 1/2 hours, without removing the cover.

3. Serve the chicken, pan juices, and whole garlic cloves with thin slices of heated French bread or toast. The garlic should be squeezed from the root end of its papery husk onto the bread or toast, spread like butter, and eaten with the chicken.

Recipe © 1990 The James Beard Foundation. All rights reserved.

MeghanO 11-24-2009 12:09 PM

Torchlaker-GL with your upcoming Colonscopy.

Hockeymom-I am so sorry that your coach BITES! It sounds like he has good intentions but does NOT know how to turn it into kind words. I totally understand what you mean about not being able to eat certain foods. Certain foods turn on my gag reflex just thinking about them!

As for me, I am worried about my weigh in tomorrow. I know I have lost some weight, but not where I wanted to be. I am struggling with my carbs, I am in the 30s to 40s all the time. I also have had to take on iron supplement because I donated blood a few weeks ago & that seems to STOP my weight loss for some reason.

My good news, my Cholestol dropped by 40 points since starting this program!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Meghan

echobaby 11-24-2009 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeghanO (Post 3024208)
Torchlaker-GL with your upcoming Colonscopy.

Hockeymom-I am so sorry that your coach BITES! It sounds like he has good intentions but does NOT know how to turn it into kind words. I totally understand what you mean about not being able to eat certain foods. Certain foods turn on my gag reflex just thinking about them!

As for me, I am worried about my weigh in tomorrow. I know I have lost some weight, but not where I wanted to be. I am struggling with my carbs, I am in the 30s to 40s all the time. I also have had to take on iron supplement because I donated blood a few weeks ago & that seems to STOP my weight loss for some reason.

My good news, my Cholestol dropped by 40 points since starting this program!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Meghan

When I've been put on iron supplements, they ALWAYS cause constipation. Maybe when you're off, you'll have an unexpected loss.

Ogdog13 11-24-2009 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toomanycats (Post 3023709)
Here is a site/recipe for roasted chicken & garlic. It might be what you are looking for. Most of the others cut up the chicken but this one leaves it whole.

http://almostbourdain.blogspot.com/2...of-garlic.html

looks good, I think I will try it too!

I saw this recipe has a couple of ingredients not on our listed of allowed foods and found one close to it and IP friendly and posted it on the recipes page. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/othe...ecipes-20.html

Ogdog13 11-24-2009 01:11 PM

Where are y'all getting those cool weight scale picture thingies????

Ogdog13 11-24-2009 01:19 PM

Found a ticket now going to try it.

dogchef 11-24-2009 01:23 PM

Haven't been around much, still need to catch up on all the posts! Thought I'd go ahead and put a loss update here though. Its been 15 weeks on IP for me with a few cheats here and there (mostly things like cheese and other no carb but still not allowed goodies) and I have lost 60 lbs! My original goal has me losing 105 total...but I may amend that to 125 total which would put me at 155 when I'm done...that would be lower than my sophomore year in high school!! I'm now the size I was when I graduated H.S. which is so amazing. Last week I bought my first shirt from a non plus size section! A super cute (on clearance!) long shirt from Target that I wear over leggings :) I also rewarded myself with some impossibly tall shoes! Good luck to everyone, and thanks for all the support you give!

Sandrab 11-24-2009 01:24 PM

Sorry hockeymom - but your post did make me laugh!! Kick that coach to the curb!! put it this way, if he was on survivor he would be evicted, the apprentice - fired, biggest loser - WINNER hands down!! He should absolutley not be saying the things you mentioned....I think the coach can emphasize if they have been on the plan themselves, which many are, or have had or been close to people with weight issues. But obviously you have a good handle on this and know he is WEIGH OUT TO LUNCH!

dogchef 11-24-2009 01:26 PM

p.s. we should start a thread with posts only about how much we've lost. We can each update every week (or whenever you weigh in) that way we can all see everyones progress even when we dont have time to read all the posts!