Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 11:16 PM   #316  
Start Date Oct 26/09

S/C/G: 199/148.6/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20bydec View Post
could we cook rhubarb with some sugar free jello - just a small amt to give it some flavor?
I checked - sugar free jello has aspartame. maybe you could mix in some of the drink crystals from the nestea drinks - they are sweetened with Splenda.

Last edited by Mom22; 11-15-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:31 PM   #317  

S/C/G: 184/164/145

Height: 5'10"

Unhappy Perrier / Sparkling Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrab View Post
i too had forgotten that we could have rhubarb...still cant wrap my mind around the fact that rhubarb is a vegetable? is it really? weird.

perrier water should be another alternative to regular water as well. can anyone think of a reason why we cant have that. i have always liked it, and bought a bottle of it the other day. seems like there are more varieties of drinks than first imagined.
I asked my nutritionist about this the day I started b/c I love having something cold and bubbly w/ dinner. She said to avoid all sparkling/fizzy drinks because the carbonation leeches calcium from your body. I suppose it would be OK on occassion though.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:32 PM   #318  

S/C/G: 199/197/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchlaker View Post
Wonderful, wonderful posts!! I haven't been on the puter all weekend; i was getting SO frustrated when Icouldn't get on. Am actually looking forward to weighin because I think I did everything right this week. I am so excited that I am in the 150's....but hate that nothing fits! I am living in 2 outfits!! i hate to shop, but I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and get some jeans..but I still have 18# to go...seems like a stupid purchase right now.

I can't remember who was having the problems with the constipation...I am now in my 3rd month, and still wrestling with that problem. I do take a "colon cleanse" and 2 Colace every night, but not much moves. I usually have to resort to a laxative on Sunday nights, and i hate doing that...but I also hate those toxins in my body. Doc finally said I could do the Miralax, but the thought of putting it in water makes me gag. I alwlays have problems when I go on a new diet, new medication, etc with my inards.....but I sure wish that would clear up fo rme already.

OK - I did try making the soycrisps into breading...adding some spices. It looks like it will work. I thought they would blend down to nothing (like pork rinds did), but out of 2 bags, I cut about 1-1/2 cups. Pretty expensive breading.

AND I also tried just buying butterscotch pudding and adding soymilk and protein powder to it. It didn't work. It didn't thicken up, and tasted awful. If i ever get time, I think I will go on Netrition.com, since they give the nutrition data for all their products. A note here....sugarfee pudding had 6g. carbs (not including the milk -- which I thought would be about 7g. carbs..and no protein. Our IP puddings have 18 g of protein, and only 2 carbs...Doubt if I can find anything edible with that much protein.

So...I wonder...what actually makes this IP work? Is it that it is lowcarb, high protein? Is it the soy? Is it because it is lowfat, or low calorie. I am just glad it works....but I want to know WHY!
When I worked with people who had brain injuries we had a recipe called superlax, unfortunately it is made out of figs, prunes, dates, prune juice some orange juice and ground flax to thicken it up, kept our clients "moving" i could get you the recipe if you would like and if we input the recipe on calorie count it would give the information on how much protien and carbs are in it, may be a natural way to get the job done, as well I had a pregnant coworker tell me she just tossed ground flax into her meals, a teaspoon or two with each meal shouldnt change the texture or taste any, you can get it usually in the bulk section of your local grocery store.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:57 PM   #319  
Started IP on 11/4/2009

S/C/G: 198/158/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20bydec View Post
valkyrie - what a romantic idea! I'm jealous!

with the stir fry, I found some asian WF dressing I'm going to try. Question about bokchoy - how much of it do you use? Do you just cut the end off (like the celery) and chop the rest?

I have been using Bok Choy all week & LOVING it! I have been sauting garlic, pepper, zucchini, Bok choy & mushrooms & letting it cook w/1/4 cup FF chicken broth. Once cooked, I put a little bit on the Asian WF dressing on it & enjoy. To prepare the Bok Choy, I rinse it WELL, very WELL!!! I then split it down the middle & slice it up.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:00 AM   #320  
Started IP on 11/4/2009

S/C/G: 198/158/140

The 2 items that I am aware of the have the COLLOGEN in them to help with saggy skin is the JELLY/Jello & the Pomagranite drink...both which I do NOT care for.

Are we allowed to have broth??? And what is the requirements for the broth if the answer is YES?
Old 11-16-2009, 12:28 AM   #321  

I heard the pomegranite drink and the jello helped with loose skin.
Btw once you get to your goal weight and are experiencing loose skin, ask around for a burn center, they do the skin cutting surgeries absolutely free because they want the skinto help burn victims.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:33 AM   #322  
Started IP 9/30/09

S/C/G: 240.2/207.4/135

Height: 5'4"

I'd never heard that about burn centers Josh...interesting!

I've been off this site for days, and was literally driving myself crazy trying to get on last week. Glad to be back! I saw someone asked about salsa. I use it pretty regularly, as with all the other veggies I'm chopping I don't feel like doing tomatoes too. (lazy) I get the fresh garden salsa that doesn't have anything extra added...just veggies, and use it as as a "restricted" in my soups and sometimes on salads, or lettuce wraps. I make a mean chicken taco.

Last edited by ukandewit; 11-16-2009 at 12:33 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:10 AM   #323  

S/C/G: 186.5/150.2/155

Height: 5'8"

I make a mean chicken taco.[/QUOTE]

Do you use the lettuce as a wrap for your chicken taco or something else? Sounds good and I think that is what I will have for dinner tonight or maybe tomorrow. I was also considering having the burger using porto mushrooms as the bun for dinner which sounds really good to me!!

I was concerned about trying different things to eat until I was sure that the diet was going to work for me and as a the first month has gone well (14.5 lbs) which is 1/2 of what I need to lose I am ready to experiment.

Glad to hear that the white wine should not throw things off very much as the holiday season is coming soon and it would be nice to be able to participate in toasts etc.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:03 AM   #324  

S/C/G: 180/180/154

Height: 5'5"

Loreleim - I thought of using flaxseed too, but didn't know if it would affect the diet, cuz I would assume it is a grain. That is why I have been holding off on the Miralax, too. Altho it doesn't list what "sweetener" is in it, it does taste sweet. My doc looked it up, and it didn't list anything in the ingredients, but I keep asking myself, "What makes it sweet?"

I was told you COULD have low-sodium broth. I tried to make chicken soup with it last week....had to add seasalt...was pretty tasteless. I dohave to check out those Nesteas with Splenda.

My new "addiction" is butterscotch pudding with sugarfree DiVinci Syrup in it..."pumpkin pie". This time of the year, I always want apples and pumpkin pie. I keep eyeing the apples.....maybe next fall.

Don't have any burn centers near me...I can deal with most of my loose skin except I have never add loose skin under the arms (filled them out!!)..and now I do. Someone told me that my body will eventually adjust (face included), and some elasticity will naturally be restored. Wonder if that is true?

Is anyone using supplements that are "near" what IP sells but less expensive? Trying to cut corners however I can. I guess I am thinking about the "long run" -- what will I eat when I can't have bars? Or chocolate soy puffs? Or puddings? I go on "maintenance" in 29 days while I am out of town and trying to stock up.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:13 AM   #325  
Start Date: 11/30/2009

Quote:
Altho it doesn't list what "sweetener" is in it, it does taste sweet. My doc looked it up, and it didn't list anything in the ingredients, but I keep asking myself, "What makes it sweet?"
The active ingredient in Miralax is polyethylene glycol, and I'm pretty sure that it's naturally a sweet-tasting compound.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:07 AM   #326  

Hello everyone))

I have now been on the plan for 10 days. I did great for 7 days and lost 8lbs that week. That day I had a slip up for dinner but got right bakc on the plan perfectly and have been for the past 2 days. My wieght has not goneup but it certainly isn't going down. I am a little frustrated but trying realy hard not to be. I saw such huge results and it is probably foolish to think it woul dcontiune past the first week

Hope everyone is doing great
Old 11-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #327  
Start Date: 11/30/2009

Quote:
So...I wonder...what actually makes this IP work? Is it that it is lowcarb, high protein? Is it the soy? Is it because it is lowfat, or low calorie. I am just glad it works....but I want to know WHY!
Conjecture... what makes you lose weight on this diet is the low calorie. Simply put, if you're expending more calories than you're consuming, you're going to lose weight.

The following is a biochemistry lecture, I won't feel bad if you skip it.

Carbohydrates are your body's main source of fuel... most everything gets broken down to glucose or fructose, and that's what drives your body's metabolism. It's broken down to either produce energy or make stuff your body needs. So when you eat carbohydrates, glucose gets into your blood stream and (if it's working correctly) your pancreas produces insulin to take it out of your blood stream to either be burned and make energy, or stored as a molecule called "glycogen," which is just a bunch of sugar molecules stitched together. Glycogen is stored in your muscles for quick retrieval, because it breaks back down into glucose pretty quickly when you need it. Your body can only use so much fuel, though, so what it's stored as glycogen or burned as fuel gets turned into other things the body needs, like proteins for muscle and enzymes or fats for membranes and long-term storage. It makes sense... if you work out more often, you need more fuel, so less is available to make storage fats.

Now, your body needs fuel even if you're not taking in carbohydrates, so it has figured out how to break down proteins and fats and burn those instead of glucose <i>only when it has to</i>. Definition: a calorie is a measure of the amount of energy it takes to heat up one cc of water by one degree Celsius. What you see on the nutrition label actually refers to a kilocalorie, so when it says "this drink only contains 5 calories!" it's actually saying that you would need to expend enough energy to heat 5 liters of water by one degree Celsius to burn off that drink. Fortunately, your body consumes a ton of energy on its own, so 5 kilocalories isn't much. You can also think of it as, this drink is storing 5 kilocalories. Proteins and carbohydrates store 4 kilocalories per gram, and fats store 9 kilocalories per gram. What this means is that your body will burn up more carbohydrates and proteins to get the same amount of energy out some fat (9 grams of protein will be burned to expend 36 kcals vs. only 4 grams of fat burned to expend 36 kcals).

The thing to be careful with in low-carb diets is that your body will break down both proteins and fats to get the energy it needs, so if you don't want to have crazy muscle loss you need to eat enough protein to be burned instead of muscle. You don't want to eat too much protein, though, because then that excess will either be burned instead of fat, or it will be turned into fat. When fat is broken down, it leaves a byproduct of ketone bodies that get flushed out in your urine... that's why the ketone sticks can measure if you're losing fat or not.

Back to this diet:
That's the nice thing about IP, is along with controlling your caloric and carbohydrate intake, it's limiting the amount of protein that you can have, so you don't go overboard on it. Also, when the protein you eat is more easily assimilated in your body, it helps to make sure you burn that before you burn muscle. Remember: not all proteins are created equal!

So in short, this diet theoretically works by being low calorie, low fat, low carb, minimally high protein, and because of the type of protein that you're consuming.

And here's a great visual: if you make your hands into loose fists and put them together, that's about the size of a pound of fat. So even if you "only" lose 3 lbs a week, as long as it's fat you're losing, that's the size of six fists melting off of your body! That's amazing!
Old 11-16-2009, 11:25 AM   #328  
before picture in profile

S/C/G: 213/183/165

Height: 5ft 7 and 3/4th

Default 20 pounds gone!

I did it! I hit the 20 pounds gone mark. This diet works!

I started on Oct. 14, 2009.

Keep going everyone!
Old 11-16-2009, 12:23 PM   #329  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilita175 View Post
I did it! I hit the 20 pounds gone mark. This diet works!

I started on Oct. 14, 2009.

Keep going everyone!
Yayyyyyy WTG that is awesome!!!
Old 11-16-2009, 01:01 PM   #330  
Started IP 10/30/09

S/C/G: 173.5/151.4/130

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Wonderful, wonderful posts!! I haven't been on the puter all weekend; i was getting SO frustrated when Icouldn't get on. Am actually looking forward to weighin because I think I did everything right this week. I am so excited that I am in the 150's....but hate that nothing fits! I am living in 2 outfits!! i hate to shop, but I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and get some jeans..but I still have 18# to go...seems like a stupid purchase right now.

I can't remember who was having the problems with the constipation...I am now in my 3rd month, and still wrestling with that problem. I do take a "colon cleanse" and 2 Colace every night, but not much moves. I usually have to resort to a laxative on Sunday nights, and i hate doing that...but I also hate those toxins in my body. Doc finally said I could do the Miralax, but the thought of putting it in water makes me gag. I alwlays have problems when I go on a new diet, new medication, etc with my inards.....but I sure wish that would clear up fo rme already.

OK - I did try making the soycrisps into breading...adding some spices. It looks like it will work. I thought they would blend down to nothing (like pork rinds did), but out of 2 bags, I cut about 1-1/2 cups. Pretty expensive breading.

AND I also tried just buying butterscotch pudding and adding soymilk and protein powder to it. It didn't work. It didn't thicken up, and tasted awful. If i ever get time, I think I will go on Netrition.com, since they give the nutrition data for all their products. A note here....sugarfee pudding had 6g. carbs (not including the milk -- which I thought would be about 7g. carbs..and no protein. Our IP puddings have 18 g of protein, and only 2 carbs...Doubt if I can find anything edible with that much protein.

I don't think IP uses soy protien. I'll have to wait til I get home to check my written IP materials, but I'm almost certain the protien is derived from casien
which is milk based. Actually, Id be nervous if it was soy protien because of the way it acts on estrogen. I'll post what I find out.

Today I have to meet the Sears repair guy who's going to give me an estimate on replacing the belt on my 10 year old treadmill. I figure, if I'm going watch back to back episodes of Law and Order, I might as well do it while at least walking.
Closed Thread