3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Ideal Protein Diet - Monthly Chat - November 2009 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/185492-ideal-protein-diet-monthly-chat-november-2009-a.html)

20bydec 11-28-2009 11:39 AM

i am so glad I found this forum. It is such a support group. I love reading the posts and the positive feed backs that we give each other.

Keep up the good work everyone - girls & guys!

I'm close to going to Phase II. Just interested to see how really different it will be. It doesn't seem to be much, just not eating one of their packets. I sometimes divide my proteins between lunch adn supper anyway, so it probably won't seem much different

ottawa 11-28-2009 12:06 PM

I have wondering what my options might be for Phase II and onward (and trying to keep costs down) and found that GNC sells a whey protein powder which seems to be comparable to the Myoflex and IP, in that 2 scoops provides 40 grams of protein, 1 gram of fat and 1 gram of carb and 170 calories. It is called Whey ISO burst (whey protein isolate) As one ideal protein pudding has 100 calories and 20 grams of protein I am thinking that this can be used to replace it by making a shake out of it and adding some sugar-free pudding mix for flavour or maybe something else like one of the WF syrups? One scoop would provide the same amount of protein and similar calories and even has some additional enzymes (not sure if they are the same ones as are added to IP)

Anyone tried this before?

Leenie 11-28-2009 12:14 PM

I moved some posts out of the "Phase" sticky thread into this daily chat thread. This way when folks are looking for specific info on "phases" they don't have to scroll through lots of chat to get the info they need.

Thanks.. Chickies :hug:

Leenie

torchlaker 11-28-2009 06:45 PM

Boy....you guys really make me THINK! Ottawa...I had thought of them as "babysteps" -- but ya know...you are right. These are GREAT big GIANT steps for me. Mirazon... I also never thought about the "commitment" part of raising a family (well, one son)...and a 37-year marriage! Most of the time, I find myself "not doing anything that would require commitment" -- (mostly exercise...lol!!)...so I just figured I couldn't do commitments. (the Giant Candy Bar was a Russell Stover candybar.....thing is, it was really old!! It didn't really taste that good...but I was feeling sorry for myself, I think (mmmm...that "sorry stuff" probably got me where I am today, too...)

Aaaah....SandraB...what is a billet??? Is that a Canadian term? (but I live so close to Canada....I even say "eh" a lot of times!!) You guys are throwing all these big words at me!! Here, I was thinking you were feeding your son's highschool hockey team friends....You are feeding grownup men?

Ottawa...I had to go pull out my whey powder that I bought at GNC to see if it was the same one. It's not....I think the one you found is much better. ONE rounded scoop of the one I got (called Gold Standard Whey) is 120 cal., 1g.fat, 4g carb and 24g protein. This tastes ok, I guess. Can't remember why I bought it! Did you see the pudding recipes that OgDog posted that use whey powder in them? I hate shakes!!

Mom22 - I THINK I remember my nurse saying that the cookbook was probably best for the last phase....is that Phase 4? I am a cookbook addict (trying to control that now that I don't have anyone to cook for anymore)...and I REALLY was going to get it...but as with most of my lowcarb cookbooks, right now - not much fits into Phase I or even Phase II. The way I understand Phase 2 is that you add another protein (eggs, meat...) instead of the protein pack for lunch. I rarely eat lunch...sometimes a pudding or a shake around 2pm...and a few slices of cucumber or something. I know what you mean about the site going down....I didn't copy down the recipe for the "40 garlic clove chicken" -- and then the site went down. I remember when I was on lowcarb before, I used to "copy and paste" recipes into a separate file on my computer.

I think I told you all that I bought some organic greek yogurt with 0% fat and 12g of protein. I really don't like yogurt either (well, YoPlait with all the fruit and everything)..but I made some deviled eggs, and used the yogurt instead of the mayo. It certainly tastes much better than the WF mayo (yuk). I am wondering if it could be added to a sugarfree pudding....or chicken salad...or tuna salad? Mmmmm...Ogdog? I will be glad when I get some dairy back....and my OJ (Phase 3, I heard).

SandraB - I think you are right. I am going to TRY not to have any guilt when I go off for the 3 weeks in December (guilt is my middle name...lol!!). We have to enjoy the people around us...remember the Reason for the Season...I intend to enjoy all my family (and Eddie's) and my friends when i go back.

Just exhausted today....got up early to work on Christmas presents (I am making 90% of them) before my fibromalygia support group meeting...and I am just dragging. Had to laugh...one of the gals hasn't seen me since August. First she asked if I was growing my hair longer (yes)...Is it a different color (yes)...am I losing weight (well, ...yes). It was funny cuz she couldn't quite pinpoint it.

Gonna go have a chicken salad with ALL that leftover chicken I have! ..(and be grateful I don't have to feed a hockey team!) Hang tough, everyone!!

Optichick1 11-29-2009 12:25 AM

Torchlaker.....you are amazing..

Optichick1 11-29-2009 12:26 AM

Everyone on this forum has so much to offer...I really do feel special to have found all of you. Thank you all for your advice and support!

vallygirl 11-29-2009 12:49 AM

I just want to say good luck to all of you trying to get through U.S. Thanks-Giving. It CAN BE DONE! I appreciate all your words of wisdom and advice. I haven't logged on for quite a while and I've misssed a lot. I have to admit that my weight loss has slowed down considerably and I'm having a lot of trouble with cravings for things like potatoes and bread etc. Any advice? I've been on the plan for almost 8 weeks and have lost about 27 lbs. but I'm finding it harder and harder to stick to.

vallygirl 11-29-2009 12:51 AM

I just want to clarify that where I live it is only 10:55 pm so I am not up in the middle of the night!

torchlaker 11-29-2009 11:46 AM

Vallygrl: I am having a harder time now sticking to plan. Nothing sounds good to eat anymore. I am so sick of salads...and find I don't even look forward to my pudding or my bar anymore! I also have started "small" cheats to see if I can have these things when I go off the diet for 3 weeks in December (like lowfat mozzarella cheese on my salad, or fatfree RediWhip on my puddings).

One thing I am thinking about doing....My doc said I didn't need to buy any Ketostix to check whether I was in ketosis, because if I followed the plan, I WOULD be in ketosis. But after reading your post....and realizing I am having a few more cravings....I was thinking that maybe I SHOULD buy them and use them. I kinda remember from Atkins that if you are in ketosis..the cravings diminish or disappear (anyone correct me here if I am wrong....!!). I am wondering if perhaps you and I are NOT in ketosis if we are craving other things. I don't know if this is "advice" -- but I am just thinking out loud here.

Had been running a fever the last few days....but I feel so much better today...hoping to sew and paint today...and pay bills! I also know that if I stay busy, I think about food a lot less. The last 2 days I kinda vegged out in front of the t.v. cuz I felt too yucky to do anything else...and I found myself digging thru old lowcarb candy!

Speaking of....I got my "Netrition" package with the items I thought I might substitute when I went off IP for 3 weeks. I certainly haven't tried everything....but have tried 2 things...and thought I would "report" on them.

I bought Atkins Endulge bars....only tried the peanut butter ones. Quite good. Not very filling. Last night, I tried a protein bar called "Oh Yeah! Protein Wafers" in Vanilla/peanut butter creme. They were quite good, altho certainly not as filling as IP's Vanilla bars. The calorie count and fat count is quite high...but here are the stats: Calories: 210; calories from fat: 117, Total fat 13g - (6g from saturated fats, 0 trans fat...wonder what the other fats are??); 8g carbs - (dietary fiber 2g..sugars 4g); protein: 14g. These come 2 wafers in a package (kinda like KitKats)...so one could only eat ONE and halve the above stats, I guess....I ate both). There might be a better bar out there...and if anyone finds it - let me know. Not happy about the fat grams or the sugar grams.

Procrastinating....

torchlaker 11-29-2009 12:00 PM

An added note (no, I don't work for Netrition....honest). On netrition.com, you can look up nutrition facts on items....PLUS you can read people's reviews on them...which I found very helpful. There might be other sites that do this....but I find netritions prices very reasonable. Flat shipping rate of $4.95....and (my favorite part) -- when the box comes..it is almost like "Christmas". It is always packed so beautifully. The DiVinci syrups come packed in styrafoam....they use those little "air bags" (so fun to "pop"!! - I need a life) to take up extra room. AND the boxes are always so nice that I can use them again! (No..HONEST...I do not work for Netrition).

My favorite sugarfree DiVinci syrups lately has been the "pumpkin pie" - I always crave pumpkin pie in the fall. I use about 2 tablespoons in the water for butterscotch pudding...and add a dash of pumpkin pie spice. I also love the toasted marshmallow. I also bought Torani syrups at SuperWalMart. They had the raspberry and caramel in the smaller bottles....both of these are good in the Vanilla puddings. I don't do shakes or drink flavored coffees (give me black regular coffee!!)..but I think they would be really good in both.

I also bought NOW Magnesium and Calcium supplements. Can't remember the price...but it was way lower than IP. Haven't opened them yet (but they still "sound" huge like IP's)....3 tablets are: 200IU of Vitamin D, 400mg of Calcium, and 800mg of magnessium and 15g of zinc. I found it comparable to IP's. So far, I haven't been able to find anything with the amount of Postassium as IP's -- OR a comparable Multi-Vitamin. If anyone has...let me know.

I am NOT trying to put IP out of business...honest. I was just looking for subtitutes while I am gone. I bought 2 hot cereals from Netrition also, but haven't tried them yet because I am really trying to lose the last 5# that doc had set my goal at (150) before I leave...didn't want to mess with a good thing.

Lilita175 11-29-2009 01:20 PM

Non scale victory!

I worked my 12 hour shift yesterday (12noon to 12 AM) at the hospital.

Before work, I spent the morning clearing out my fridge of all the Thanksgiving leftovers (except the turkey) and packing them "nicely" to take to work.

I placed all the leftovers (including a big bag of dinner rolls and a cube of butter) in the break room. Then I announced to all my co-workers that I had brought food for them.

By 4 pm all the left-overs had been eaten. Yay! I sipped on an IP chocolate shake (over ice) and then had a huge green salad with sliced turkey for my dinner break.

Now, the reason this was a "non-scale victory" for me is because for as long as I can remember in my adult life, Thanksgiving leftovers were part of the "weekend after Thanksgiving eating binge" for me.

I mean, I even used to buy an "extra" pumpkin pie that I stashed in the fridge which of course I would then eat all of it myself over the weekend.

I am talking about multiple eating events. "Snacking" all day every day (from Friday to Sunday) on the left-overs and huge slices of pie with whipped cream for dessert.

This was the beginning of
"the Holidays" every year for me!

So I am sooooo happy that I have kicked this "carb monkey on my back" to

the curb this year.

My rapid wt. loss on IP (20 pounds in 6 weeks) has been a great motivator.

I am going all the way with this!

Thanks to all of you for your great support.

Keep reading and posting here, it has helped me tremendously to stay on track.

Lilita

Lilita175 11-29-2009 01:36 PM

added ticker

I added my ticker!

Mom22 11-29-2009 01:40 PM

I went out to a housewarming last night - didn't cheat (too much) - drank glass after glass of water. I skipped my protein snack after supper and snacked at the party on a couple of cubes of cheese, sliced sandwich meat and celery and such off the veg. tray. it was hard because there was so much good food there. I didn't miss the drinks but man oh man no fresh fruit off the fruit tray (strawberries) and no chips and dip - I miss chips more than anything else. I wore an outfit that makes me look...not too fat and I got lots of compliments on my look so that was motivating. I've lost around 15 lbs in 1 month and at 5'4" it's starting to show.

Here's the interesting part - a friend of mine is also on the IP diet. She told me she cheats all the time and she's losing and looks fantastic. She sticks to the IP diet during the week and then on the weekend she eats (almost) whatever she wants. And yeah, she really did - lots of drinks and snacks. She says that's the only way both emotionally and financially for her to stay on the diet. she figures it might take her longer but it's her way of doing it. It reminded me of an article I read a while back in First Magazine. They were promoting something called Carb Cycling. That's where you eat high carbs for a couple of days and then high protein/low carb for a couple of days - the results were really amazing. maybe....?? Just thought I'd mention because if that's the case, we are going to be able to go off this diet and maintain our weight with very little difficulty.

So glad you American girls are getting through Thanksgiving!

torchlaker 11-30-2009 12:55 AM

Mom22....I bought a book last summer called "Cracking the Fat Loss Code" or something like that. The author was Wendy Chant. I see that "3fatchicks" has a forum for them. It sounded really interesting. I did it for about 2 weeks...but I didn't lose any weight.

Lilita...wow...you are strong! I always remember eating LOTS of pumpkin pie after Thanksgiving. Turkey was never my favorite anyhow....and I have lots of chicken left. I have had chicken 4 days in a row now, so I am pretty sick of it. I think that the fast weight loss on IP is a great motivator.

Texan123 11-30-2009 09:14 AM

Hi Everyone,

Got to tell you that I absolutely COULD NOT eat that IP food. No way. So I had to quit the program.

However, I have found what works for me and wanted to let you all know because as you come off of IP IF you start to gain weight I want to encourage you to pick up the book The Metabolism Miracle by Diane Kress. It is amazing and from what I've read by you guys on this forum I think many you probably have the Metabolism B syndrome that she writes about. I've only been on program for 1 week and I feel terrific. Better than I have for YEARS. If you are diabetic please please read this book.

That's it from me. Good luck to you all.

Texan123

elishatamar 11-30-2009 09:25 AM

So! Today begins Day #1 for me, starting with the crispy cereal. Definitely tastes like Splenda, but certainly not objectionable. The part I'm most nervous about is the feeling hungry... portion control has always been an issue for me.

Also, I remember being concerned that getting in at least 64 oz of water would be difficult... but man, you need all that just to take your supplements!

Which reminds me... how were you all told to take your supplements? My coach said to take all four CaMg and KCa at night.

Also, remembering earlier in the discussion... my coach actually gave a reasonable reason for eating your snack before bedtime instead of between lunch and dinner, so your body has more to work with while repairing itself at night. So those of you not eating your snack at bedtime because you need it to get through the day... maybe split it in two, and have half of it then? What do y'all think?

Oh, and one last thing... where were y'all told to take the waist and hip measurements?

A new beginning, how exciting!

MeghanO 11-30-2009 11:00 AM

I have so many posts to go back & read. My home computer crashed last week & then the holidays came. But I wanted to report on a weight loss last week of 3.4 lbs on week three!!! I can live with that. As has been repeated numerous time on this site, it is a better weight loss number then any other diet we have been on! I am just glad those dang pies are out of my face now!

Meghan

Mom22 11-30-2009 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elishatamar (Post 3028742)
So! Today begins Day #1 for me, starting with the crispy cereal. Definitely tastes like Splenda, but certainly not objectionable. The part I'm most nervous about is the feeling hungry... portion control has always been an issue for me.

Also, I remember being concerned that getting in at least 64 oz of water would be difficult... but man, you need all that just to take your supplements!

Which reminds me... how were you all told to take your supplements? My coach said to take all four CaMg and KCa at night.

Also, remembering earlier in the discussion... my coach actually gave a reasonable reason for eating your snack before bedtime instead of between lunch and dinner, so your body has more to work with while repairing itself at night. So those of you not eating your snack at bedtime because you need it to get through the day... maybe split it in two, and have half of it then? What do y'all think?

Oh, and one last thing... where were y'all told to take the waist and hip measurements?

A new beginning, how exciting!

Crispy cereal - did not like at all - I think because it appears so small with a few pieces of rice krispies floating around. Portion control for me is a big issue too. Got to be honest for the first 4 days I was really hungry - I drank a lot of water to get through it. My counselor also told me to eat an extra protein pack for the first few days if I was really hungry. I didn't but it's an option. I liked to think that if I was feeling hungry that was the pounds melting off - and I did lose over 5 lbs that first week. Not so hungry after the first few days - apparently once you get through the first few days, you're in ketosis and really burning fat.

Supplements - they wrote on top of the bottle how many to take/day and that made it easier. CaMg my sheet says 2 with supper and 2 with evening snack. 1 Potassium in the morning with breakfast. 1 multi-Vitamin with breakfast and 1 at supper.

I get measured in the following spots: neck (I've lost about 3/4" in my neck and can really tell), upper arm, chest (above boobs), upper waist (below boobs), smallest part of waist, belly button, hips (at widest), thigh, knee, calf and ankle. You really do lose in all those spots and it's exciting.

PRINCASS 11-30-2009 01:56 PM

Wow!

Well all the anticipation of the Thanksgiving holiday is over. I hope you all had a wonderful time.

@Torlaker You make me laugh, you make me cry. My deepest sympathies go out to you. I also had a horrible loss this year (stillborn full term) so I understand with the holidays and anniversaries and everything in between make it really difficult to sometimes get through a day. I'm really excited that you get to see you family in December. Your an amazing women. You have been through a lot. As someone said you took this forum to a whole new level.

@Echobaby I'm totally up for bikinis at 5am. :o In the snow!

We all have different reasons for our weight gain and what caused us to get to this point, but like I've said before I would be lost without ALL.:hug:

http://getentrepreneurial.com/images/inspiration.jpg

Ogdog13 11-30-2009 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texan123 (Post 3028721)
Hi Everyone,

Got to tell you that I absolutely COULD NOT eat that IP food. No way. So I had to quit the program.

However, I have found what works for me and wanted to let you all know because as you come off of IP IF you start to gain weight I want to encourage you to pick up the book The Metabolism Miracle by Diane Kress. It is amazing and from what I've read by you guys on this forum I think many you probably have the Metabolism B syndrome that she writes about. I've only been on program for 1 week and I feel terrific. Better than I have for YEARS. If you are diabetic please please read this book.

That's it from me. Good luck to you all.

Texan123

Texan123, I looked up the book; it looks very interesting. Are you diabetic? Diabetes runs in my family.

Ogdog13 11-30-2009 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilita175 (Post 3027905)
I worked my 12 hour shift yesterday (12noon to 12 AM) at the hospital.

Before work, I spent the morning clearing out my fridge of all the Thanksgiving leftovers (except the turkey) and packing them "nicely" to take to work.

I placed all the leftovers (including a big bag of dinner rolls and a cube of butter) in the break room. Then I announced to all my co-workers that I had brought food for them.

By 4 pm all the left-overs had been eaten. Yay! I sipped on an IP chocolate shake (over ice) and then had a huge green salad with sliced turkey for my dinner break.

Now, the reason this was a "non-scale victory" for me is because for as long as I can remember in my adult life, Thanksgiving leftovers were part of the "weekend after Thanksgiving eating binge" for me.

I mean, I even used to buy an "extra" pumpkin pie that I stashed in the fridge which of course I would then eat all of it myself over the weekend.

I am talking about multiple eating events. "Snacking" all day every day (from Friday to Sunday) on the left-overs and huge slices of pie with whipped cream for dessert.

This was the beginning of
"the Holidays" every year for me!

So I am sooooo happy that I have kicked this "carb monkey on my back" to

the curb this year.

My rapid wt. loss on IP (20 pounds in 6 weeks) has been a great motivator.

I am going all the way with this!

Thanks to all of you for your great support.

Keep reading and posting here, it has helped me tremendously to stay on track.

Lilita

You go girl!!! I ate all low-carb for TG this year, and the fam was behind me all the way on it! LOL, gave my dogs the left over pie (woof)!

torchlaker 11-30-2009 05:16 PM

Princass: thank you so much. I hope I make you laugh more than I make you cry!! I only get in those moods (brooding) once in a great while. I am so sorry for your loss. I cannot even imagine the pain. Do you have other children?

Elisha - I didn't like the crispy cereal at all. I eat the oatmeal with a little WF syrup on top. I feel way more full with it....plus I get frustrated chasing those 5 little rice krispies around the bowl. Water is a key these first days...wash those toxins out!! I had a killer headache for 3 days and lived on aspirins. I take most of my supplements at night (cuz it takes me ALL day to get up enough nerve to swallow the horse pills!). If I remember, sometimes I split up the CalMag - 2 in the afternoon, 2 at bedtime. (I always heard magnesium helps you sleep). Yeah..that is where I get in most of my water...swallowing those things. But - I can tell you -- I can definitely feel it if I don't take them. I don't take my measurements....my nurse takes them....I just get excited about them!! She always has a hard time finding my waist. I am definitely built like a rectangle....always have been even when I was skinny.

Meghan0 - you lost 3.4# the week of Thanksgiving?? I am so impressed....you are doing wonderful.

Texas123 - I totally understand not liking the IP products. I am getting pretty tired of them myself. At first, I experimented...but now I stick to the bars, oatmeal and puddings. I was pretty disappointed with the other stuff. Is there a website about The Metabolism Miracle? Geez, I thought I had Syndrome X (or whatever it is called)....I don't want another syndrome.

Well, I wore out an outfit I altered today to do errands. Everyone was commenting on how different I looked. I think I am gonna have fun with this....BUT Ihave to watch myself. One starts hearing compliments...and then thinks, "Hey, I don't look bad at all" -- and then poof...I am off the diet.

I am glad some of you are posting again. I got worried that the Thanksgiving holiday might have caused some of us to go off IP, and not get back on. Ya gotta admit....these next few weeks are gonna be tough!! We gotta hang tough!

OgDog: I bought some Lactaid milk (I am lactose intolerant)...fat free...but geez, the sugar and carb amounts are just awful...but I am gonna try the pudding thingy again.

Back to altering....we are expecting snow tonight! I gotta alter some warmer pants!

MeghanO 11-30-2009 09:29 PM

Princass, I want to tell you how very truly sorry I am for your stillborn baby. I also had a stillborn baby boy at full term in August of 2003. I don't know if the weight you are losing is from your pregnancy, but I HATED having to carrying around that weight with NOTHING to show for it! Hang in there & I am more then willing to be you email buddy if you need support dealing with your loss. Time heals.

MeghanO 11-30-2009 09:31 PM

IS any one actively exercising??? I am considering joining a Curves or Curcuit type of gym for a few months. You know the women only gym where you do strength & cardio? I would love to hear how exercise is going for others
Thanks, Meghan

joshb 12-01-2009 12:05 AM

Hey guys!
I had my fourth weight in and lost 6 lbs!

So my first month I lost 32 pounds =o amazing.

Naturalgirl101 12-01-2009 01:42 AM

Awesome Josh

I am so glad that you stuck to your program. It's inspiring.http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/imag...les/carrot.gif

ottawa 12-01-2009 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeghanO (Post 3029704)
IS any one actively exercising??? I am considering joining a Curves or Curcuit type of gym for a few months. You know the women only gym where you do strength & cardio? I would love to hear how exercise is going for others
Thanks, Meghan

I have been exercising the whole time I have been on IP. We were told not to do very much steady state cardio so usually twice a week I do "interval training" on my treadmill (2-4 minutes at one speed and then 2-4 minutes at either an increased speed or increased incline or both, depending on how strong I feel that day,... enough to bring my heart rate up to almost max and then back down again to the level that it was when I was just at the one speed) and a 1 hour exercise class once a week that combines cardio and resistance training. It really helps me. I have recently started to add more exercises after my treadmill work, such as more ab exercises, specific leg and waist exercises etc. in the hopes of making sure I tighten things up as I lose the pounds.

PRINCASS 12-01-2009 12:43 PM

@torlaker I do have a perfect little 7yr old man!! LOL He thinks he's 16 already. He truely is the only reason I breath. :D