3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Ideal Protein Diet - Monthly Chat - November 2009 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/185492-ideal-protein-diet-monthly-chat-november-2009-a.html)

echobaby 11-19-2009 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogdog13 (Post 3018815)
Ah, PMS. I'm hitting it now and my chocolate craving is out of this world. Besides not losing weight aren't you craving things????

Now that you mention it, I have been craving chocolate. I bought some godiva chocolate truffle coffee, which is delicious, by the way. I was having trouble with my afternoons before dinner, feeling tired and generally just feeling evil:devil:. Someone here mentioned that they have sliced lunchmeat at that time for the same reason. I was going to do that, but before I did, my.....I don't know what to call him...I can't call him boyfriend after 40, can I? Well my manfriend(that just sounds dumb) brought an Atkins vanilla shake for me to try, so I put about an eighth of that into the chocolate coffee before I left work for home, and that helped a lot.

So have you gone through your whole cycle on this diet? Did your weight loss appear to slow down dramatically during it?

Also, Ogdog, are you the one who is a chef, or has trained as a chef? I have a question for you if so.

Optichick1 11-19-2009 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elishatamar (Post 3018911)
I received my first package of food in the mail today... it's a good thing I only have 4 days before leaving town for Thanksgiving, because I'm already wanting to jump in. I know that it would be a complete waste, though, since not eating pumpkin pie or drinking wine with my family is just not realistic. So Monday after next is my Day 1.

When I put in my order, however, I didn't realize that four of the boxes I chose are restricted items. I knew about the chocolate soy puffs, but didn't realize the bars, chili and stew all fell into that category. I'm wanting to knock this weight off as quickly as possible, since I can't afford to be on it for more than a few months, so I wondering what y'alls opinions are as far as having more than 2 restricted items a week. I know some people still had a phenomenal loss having one restricted item a day, but still...

Also, I'd like to poll people on what their favorite DaVinci syrups are, so I can get ahold of some before I start. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

The restricted items like the bars, nuts, stew etc. are only restricted to one per day. In other words, if you have the stew at lunch you can't have a bar at night. But if you have an omelet for breakfast, a drink or soup for lunch, then you can have a restricted after dinner. I usually have a bar every night. I'm only 5' tall, but I've lost about 12 # now. My 3rd weigh in was Tuesday.

echobaby 11-19-2009 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chubby twin (Post 3018875)
Is everyone taking all of the IP supplements? I am taking my own calcium,omega 3 pills and potassium. Does this make a big difference in weight loss. The supps are pricey. I found the IP sea salt at Target today. It was the same kind of sea salt. But is was 9 ounces for $3.29. Since I have had so much trouble with constipation I have used Correctol,Citrate of Magnesia. They really work but I don't think my weight loss is what it should be. I am down 11 lbs and it will be 4 weeks tomorrow. The last few days I have checked with the Ketostix and it is just a trace. I am not cheating so I don't understand it. I haven't lost many inches either. You all are talking about all the inches and lbs you have lost and I am wondering what I am doing wrong.

Sorry for posting so much, but I just remembered something. When I use the Ketostix within 4 hours of eating a restricted packet, like oatmeal or chili, my results are always in the trace to small range. Try it on a night when you've had your restricted item for breakfast or not at all that day. You may not be at trace levels all day long. The restricteds do have between 12-18 carbs, and it may take a while for them to be used up.

Optichick1 11-19-2009 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echobaby (Post 3018984)
Sorry for posting so much, but I just remembered something. When I use the Ketostix within 4 hours of eating a restricted packet, like oatmeal or chili, my results are always in the trace to small range. Try it on a night when you've had your restricted item for breakfast or not at all that day. You may not be at trace levels all day long. The restricteds do have between 12-18 carbs, and it may take a while for them to be used up.

What are Ketostix? I've seen several posts about them. Did you get them from your coach or weight loss center?

joshb 11-19-2009 11:36 PM

I just had something tonight that tasted SO good,it was something I decided to make up and try.

We had.
Chopped zuchinni
Kelp Noodles (taste delicious and have 0 fat, 1 carb, 1 dietary fiber (which cancels the carb) and 0 sugar and its JUST like having like asian noodles.
Chopped garlic
chopped chicken
chopped Bok Choy
with soy sauce
It really didnt taste like i was dieting it really tastes like an asian cuisine (probably because it is.) but it made eating vegetables ALOT more tolerable for me.
I admit I have skipped a few vegetables at some meals =/ but i have been taking the sugar free benefiber so hopefully that helps move things along but omg guys try it.

AND

About the ketostix I asted my coach and she said those actually arent the most acurate because as you go farther in the diet your trace of ketones lowers because your body is using them more and its not being drained as much when you go to the bathroom and breathe, but your still in ketosis.

Mirazon 11-19-2009 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BumpyMcPickles (Post 3018390)
I had my week 2 weigh in this morning - Im down 15 pounds for the week and 3.5 inches (I was shocked and even had myself weighed twice). Now that is 23 pounds in 2 weeks!!!!

Congrats to all on their losses this week.

WOW!! That is phenomenal!!! Keep up the good work. :carrot:

Mirazon 11-19-2009 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magenta (Post 3018538)
BumpyMcPickles, you and I started the same day. Your results are awesome!!! My 2 week weigh-in revealed a 2 pound loss this week for 6.4 overall. And I lost 3 inches this week for 5 inches overall. I try to focus on how even a few pounds a week will add up over a short time, and that that time will fly by if I can stay interested in something, anything else, besides my weight!

Congrats to you!! You're doing great!!

Isn't it amazing how weight can take over our thoughts and emotions. That's one reason I try not to weigh every day. It really affects my mood. I plot my weight on a graph every week and concentrate on the steady downward trend.

Mirazon 11-19-2009 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chjsmom (Post 3018638)
i had my week 2 weigh-in today. I lost 2 lbs making a total of 10 lbs. My coach told me to eat normal on Thanksgiving and get back on the diet the next day. But, I don't know if I want to do that !

Everyone is doing so great on this plan. I feel the same way as you regarding Turkey day. I have permission to go off, but I so want to be in twoterville. If I stick with the plan I may make it by the Monday after Thanksgiving. I haven't been in the 200's in years.

joshb 11-19-2009 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BumpyMcPickles (Post 3018390)
I had my week 2 weigh in this morning - Im down 15 pounds for the week and 3.5 inches (I was shocked and even had myself weighed twice). Now that is 23 pounds in 2 weeks!!!!

Congrats to all on their losses this week.

That is GREAT
I lost about the same as you, but I dont think I lost any inches =/
Atleast I dont think so, we didnt have accurate measuring but i dont think I did.
So thats amazing in 2 weeks.

joshb 11-19-2009 11:50 PM

About the thanksgiving stuff, I am sorta looking at it like im looking at everything else. Thanksgiving isnt going away, and I can have it next year without feeling guilty about going off of a diet, much the same way im looking at other food like bread,cheese,and potato's they will still be there after the diet.

Mirazon 11-19-2009 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echobaby (Post 3018713)
Anyway, Mirazon.....I'm going to walk on the treadmill starting at 30 mins. a day, 5-6 times a week(aiming for 4mph), then work up to 45 min, then maybe 60. I'll do it while I watch Top Chef or Law and Order, which I do a lot anyway, but sitting...Any of you long-timers have any wisdom to impart regarding your weight loss and PMS? I sure hope this is temporary.

Thanks for the info. I'm interested because I actually have more energy and can exercise. I've used the Walk Away the Pounds in the past, but now plan to use my much ignored treadmill.

As far as the PMS, my wt loss slows down to a crawl every month with the water retention. Eventually it passes and I have a great loss the week after!!

Ogdog13 11-20-2009 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echobaby (Post 3018713)
I hope this goes through..2 other posts to you today didn't. Anyone else having problems? I could get through to every other chat room with ease, but not this one. Maybe we have the MOST POPULAR AND HAVE CRASHED THE SYSTEM!!!!!!!!

Anyway, Mirazon.....I'm going to walk on the treadmill starting at 30 mins. a day, 5-6 times a week(aiming for 4mph), then work up to 45 min, then maybe 60. I'll do it while I watch Top Chef or Law and Order, which I do a lot anyway, but sitting.

Also, to your other post: YOU HAVE LOST 46 LB. IN 2 MONTHS!!! I don't think the green cabbage is negatively affecting you. Way to go!

Trying to get everything in here, in case it starts up again with the site problems. I posted recently about my afternoon low blood sugar and grumpiness. I also have lost nothing since Sunday. Can you guess what my problem is? PMS!!! Duhhh. I guess I thought I wouldn't have swelling since I'm eating so much lighter. But, I guess salt is salt. Any of you long-timers have any wisdom to impart regarding your weight loss and PMS? I sure hope this is temporary.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Optichick1 (Post 3019147)
What are Ketostix? I've seen several posts about them. Did you get them from your coach or weight loss center?

Yeah, what are these Ketostix? I'm very interested.

Ogdog13 11-20-2009 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echobaby (Post 3018941)
Now that you mention it, I have been craving chocolate. I bought some godiva chocolate truffle coffee, which is delicious, by the way. I was having trouble with my afternoons before dinner, feeling tired and generally just feeling evil:devil:. Someone here mentioned that they have sliced lunchmeat at that time for the same reason. I was going to do that, but before I did, my.....I don't know what to call him...I can't call him boyfriend after 40, can I? Well my manfriend(that just sounds dumb) brought an Atkins vanilla shake for me to try, so I put about an eighth of that into the chocolate coffee before I left work for home, and that helped a lot.

So have you gone through your whole cycle on this diet? Did your weight loss appear to slow down dramatically during it?

Also, Ogdog, are you the one who is a chef, or has trained as a chef? I have a question for you if so.

Ecobaby, I am not a chef. But my aunt was a professional one. I don't know if she can answer your question but I'll be more than happy to ask her.

Ogdog13 11-20-2009 05:24 AM

Exercise

All of you out there who are losing 5+ pounds per week, are you exercising? I am admittedly not exercising (yet). If you are exercising, what are you doing and how often?

ottawa 11-20-2009 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by torchlaker
YUK!

Ottawa - do you think any oolong tea would work? You reminded me that I have some "Dieters Tea" in the cupboard. That kinda used to work....At least it tastes better than oolong! I am not a tea drinker....wish I was. Not much of a coffee drinker either. My downfall was Diet Coke! I still have 8oz. of DietRite cola with my dinner....and rarely finish it.

I really do not know as I have never had any regular oolong tea. I will check the ingredients of tea I have at home and let you know what they are and then maybe you can look for something that has similar things in it.

hockyemom 11-20-2009 09:37 AM

Lots of great weight loss going on lately! Congrats everyone!

I was going to ask the same question about our cycle. I had a very frustrating week last week -- after being 'perfect' for the whole week, I lost less than 2lb -- it was very discouraging to me. I was hoping it was because I was in mhy cycle and that the weight loss would show up a day or two after, but it still hasn't! :-( Maybe our bodies just don't lose the weight very much at all when we are cycling????

I'm hoping for a very big week this week to compensate, but so far it still isn't showing up that much on the scale.
(I know I shouldn't weigh myself everyday, but I can't help it!!!) :D

Any advice/experiences to share from those of you who have been at this longer would be really appreciated. I need to be motivated.

As I said in my previous post, I'm doing this IP because I know when I'm on it I can lost 4-5 lbs per week, but if my weight loss slows to 1-2 per week, it is very frustrating and discouraging!!!

toomanycats 11-20-2009 10:38 AM

Re: ketostix

Ketosticks are a way to measure whether you are in ketosis or not. Check Elishatamar's post on the chemistry of fat burning (pg 22 of this thread). You can get them at most pharmacys. I got mine at Kmart and Walgreens. Per Atkins, where I first started using them YEARS ago, you should use them once a day at the same time every day for the most accurate measure. He also said that the amount of color doesn't matter, as long as you are in ketosis you are burning fat. So I wouldn't waste them and use them more than once a day. They are not cheap. I happen to use them first thing in the morning.

toomanycats 11-20-2009 10:46 AM

Thanksgiving

Loved what MeghanO posted on pg 26. I would use the Iron will approach....here's why. DON'T DO WHAT I'VE DONE!!
I stopped IP due to my B-DAY. Knew I would be cheating, etc. But thought I could keep it in moderation. BUT I DIDN'T. Now I am up 6 lbs. in a week. I realize it is in part the water molecules attached to the carbs (as someone posted earlier). But boy, I now see why my coach said to lose 5-10 lbs more than you want before going into the final phase of IP. You will gain that much in water weight when carbs come back!

toomanycats 11-20-2009 11:02 AM

Re: Carbonation in drinks

It is interesting how we all get different info. My IP packet says we should drink mineral water, so I do. It is naturally carbonated. Carbonation does nothing to calcium. Now other stuff in cola does, but not the carbonation.
Also, I'm surprised by all the posts about constipation. 4 cups of vegies plus unlimited salad (usually 4c/day for me) should have the opposite effect. Are you all taking your olive oil every day?, drinking >64 oz of water? Even Dr. Tran says in his book you can take a natural fiber supplement like Psyllium. The fiber cancels out the carbs in it. You all got the book didn't you? But I would stay away from any chemicals laxatives myself. :shrug: Also, are you taking vitamin D? Dr. Oz said calcium binds you up but vitamin D helps you go. I take mine right before bed.

chubby twin 11-20-2009 11:21 AM

Someone on IP told me to use Citricel so I got some of that yesterday. I was not getting my olive oil like I should have so now I am putting it in my morning packet (blueberry,pomegra.) and also putting the Citricel in too. Soooo I will see how that works for me. I usually use the Ketostix the first thing in the morning and have also checked in the afternoon. I drink a lot of water and also Good Earth tea. I don't think there would be anything in the tea. It says zeo carbs,zero sugar. I will also start the vitamin D and see if that helps. Thanks all for the advice.

Ogdog13 11-20-2009 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toomanycats (Post 3019574)
It is interesting how we all get different info. My IP packet says we should drink mineral water, so I do. It is naturally carbonated. Carbonation does nothing to calcium. Now other stuff in cola does, but not the carbonation.
Also, I'm surprised by all the posts about constipation. 4 cups of vegies plus unlimited salad (usually 4c/day for me) should have the opposite effect. Are you all taking your olive oil every day?, drinking >64 oz of water? Even Dr. Tran says in his book you can take a natural fiber supplement like Psyllium. The fiber cancels out the carbs in it. You all got the book didn't you? But I would stay away from any chemicals laxatives myself. :shrug: Also, are you taking vitamin D? Dr. Oz said calcium binds you up but vitamin D helps you go. I take mine right before bed.

My coach said not to drink soda because of its acidity. It throws your ketosis off.

joshb 11-20-2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogdog13 (Post 3019269)
All of you out there who are losing 5+ pounds per week, are you exercising? I am admittedly not exercising (yet). If you are exercising, what are you doing and how often?

I am not exercising, other than the general walking around walmart or whatever i may do a couple times a week.
But i do want to start some type of moderate exercise routine because I think it will show in the results.

echobaby 11-20-2009 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogdog13 (Post 3019265)

The byproducts of you burning your own fat for fuel are ketones. The Ketostix detect these in your urine. You pass a Ketostix strip through your stream, and it tells you more or less if you are in KETOSIS which is the state this diet aims for. Generally, if your strip turns any shade of pink or purple, you are throwing off ketones. This is a good gauge of when you are ingesting too many carbs for weight loss (especially hidden ones in dressings, medicines, sauces, etc.) It's also been VERY motivational for me for times when the scale doesn't move. I know I'm still burning fat, but just have to be patient and let my body adjust or whatever it's doing. As Josh was told, for some people they may cease to turn purple as they get closer to ideal weight(less and less fat to burn), but in the beginning stages of weight loss, they can be excellent tools.
You can get them at the pharmacy w/o a prescription. At some pharmacies you have to ask the pharmacist. You can also get KETO-DIASTIX.

:(Diabetics use Ketostix/Keto diastix to monitor their blood sugar. To them the sticks turning pink or purple is a warning sign of trouble that they are burning through their food/insulin too quickly. For non diabetics ketosis is a benign state wherin we're just burning bodyfat.

coolbreeze 11-20-2009 01:22 PM

Hi all! Havent posted for awhile. Yesterday was my bday, and I surpassed my goal of my wedding weight! My next goal is 165, law school weight and then finally goal.
Last night I had a glass of red wine for my bday and a few bites of desserts we ordered, and thankfully, it didn't effect me. I used it as a reward.
I am excited to be approaching the end of my journey. If it is of any help to anyone, if I was starting again, here are some things I learned:

1. Crystal light effects my loss even though my coach said it was ok. I stick with hot tea, decaf coffee, or water.

2. There were a couple days where I had two restricted. Either I had a horrible schedule, away from home, PMS, whatever. On those days, I made sure to exercise. I lost a little less those times but I nonetheless loss and didnt quit the program.

3. I find exercise speeds up my loss as long as I eat additional protein. Otherwise I fear I lose muscle.

4. My water retention surrounding time of month is for a week before and during. I continued to lose fat. Gotta love my coach's scale. It showed one week I lost 4 lbs fat, but gained 2 lbs water (PMS). Great info.

5. I learned that a low carb sanity cheat here and there didnt hurt me and helped me stay on plan. Lunchmeat, a slice of cheese...at a party i had some buffalo chicken dip with celery. No impact and it was fun to eat at the party.

6. For the first time, I am learning to use veggies everywhere. My fav addition is pureed steamed broccoli in the IP chicken soup. I will keep doing that in maintenance using low fat chicken soup.
Finally, I've decided to stay mostly on plan for Thanksgiving. Turkey is great, and I will bring roasted asparagus and a low carb pumpkin pie (replacing my nightime snack). I will probably also have a glass of red wine (2 carbs). I want to learn how to live for the future, and these seem like reasonable compromises over the thousands of calories I used to eat at Thanksgiving. Thanks for letting me write all of this out! It helps me. :-)

Sandrab 11-20-2009 01:22 PM

i would love to know the reality of carbonated water - perrier water is the same thing right? i love it and would like to drink it once in awhile. the week i drank a bottle, was a great weight loss week for me.. so again, with various rules etc think i will stick to what makes this work for me. and the person who posted about too many rules, is so right. too complex, too hard, too easy to stray!

ottawa 11-20-2009 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockyemom (Post 3019464)
Lots of great weight loss going on lately! Congrats everyone!

I was going to ask the same question about our cycle. I had a very frustrating week last week -- after being 'perfect' for the whole week, I lost less than 2lb -- it was very discouraging to me. I was hoping it was because I was in mhy cycle and that the weight loss would show up a day or two after, but it still hasn't! :-( Maybe our bodies just don't lose the weight very much at all when we are cycling????

I'm hoping for a very big week this week to compensate, but so far it still isn't showing up that much on the scale.
(I know I shouldn't weigh myself everyday, but I can't help it!!!) :D

Any advice/experiences to share from those of you who have been at this longer would be really appreciated. I need to be motivated.

As I said in my previous post, I'm doing this IP because I know when I'm on it I can lost 4-5 lbs per week, but if my weight loss slows to 1-2 per week, it is very frustrating and discouraging!!!

I know how you feel as I have had a similar experience with this diet. Lost lots the first week, small loss the 2nd week, etc and so far, my 5th week, nothing (but I have the weekend to lose some hopefully) but overall for the first 4 weeks I lost 14 pounds, which when you average it out is approx 3.5 pounds a week. Better than anything I have tried before which is why I am sticking to it.

I did notice on the weeks where I did not lose very much, I seemed to be losing inches, so now I measure myself once a week to ensure that is the case. In the long run I do want to see the scales go down but even more I want to look good in the clothes I wear and that is where the loss of inches makes the biggest impact for me.

How long have you been on the diet?

hockyemom 11-20-2009 02:31 PM

ottawa - I have been on IP for almost 8 weeks and have lost about 29lbs - that averages to about 3 1/2 lbs per week which is good, I know. I had a couple of weeks early on when I cheated so that has brought my numbers down. My aim is about 4 lbs per week, so when I get less than 2 (when I've worked hard at it) I get disappointed.

They also measured my inches and I lost about 1/2 inch last week, so that was OK.

You are right -- I have been able to wear clothes that I haven't worn in years or that I have worn, but not very well ;-)

I left the centre last week with the resolve to work really hard this week and see where it gets me, so I'm optimistic that I can do it. Unfortunately this will be a tough weekend for me since we'll be out of town at a hockey tournament for my son -- but I'm bringing all of my IP products and will do my best to order well when we go out to restaurants.

Thanks for the support. :-)

echobaby 11-20-2009 02:48 PM

Conflicting Rules for IP

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandrab (Post 3019780)
i would love to know the reality of carbonated water - perrier water is the same thing right? i love it and would like to drink it once in awhile. the week i drank a bottle, was a great weight loss week for me.. so again, with various rules etc think i will stick to what makes this work for me. and the person who posted about too many rules, is so right. too complex, too hard, too easy to stray!

None of us here are naive, so I'm going to go full cynic. I currently have PMS, so you know where my mood is.

Ideal Protien and Matol (same thing) are ISO 9000 companies, meaning they have to pass the strictest objective quality conrtrol tests to be certified. I think this only applies to their products and distribution practices. That makes me very happy and we all trust the quality of their products, right?

However, since I'm doing this through Matol, which is an independent distrubutor of IP products, I have some insights into how they train "distributors". The medical clinics are probably well trained and have consistent guidelines. Maybe they throw in advice not included their official training, but that they have learned through their own experiences with clients. But not all places that distribute these products and give out "rules" are made equally.

After placing my second order for 4 weeks of IP through Matol, I was invited to explore opportunities to be a distributor so that I could purchase the products at a discount. I was never interested, since I am the world's worst salesperson, and the discounts weren't that significant. I asked for the info anyway, because I wanted to see what kind of training was involved. Besides on-line seminars and some reading material(all of which you can see for free by going to Dr. Tranh's website), there wasn't much else to it besides #s for me to call to talk with a Sr. person if I had questions. And I think the Sr. people are people who are big salespeople.

So not to disparage all our centers and coaches, but If I so chose(ice in ****), even I could start an official IP center. So if you came to me with a question, and it wasn't in my official seminar or books, I would have to tell you something from my own experience, which may not apply to you or others. So you're right, we have to do what's right for ourselves. Also, if they don't know the answer to our questions, and they are really busy, you don't think they'd say something off the tops of their heads?

I'm scared to post this, actually. But I think this is a great program and we'd do well not to let all the conflicting rules drive us nuts. This board has been really good for helping me sort out the rules that make your jaw drop, like, "No aspartame, but you can have Equal!" from the ones that make sense. Sorry to be :devil:

elishatamar 11-20-2009 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandrab (Post 3019780)

There are a couple of different thoughts on this, I've been looking and have found several conflicting studies about the effects of carbonated beverages on calcium levels and bone density. They pretty much all say that increase in carbonated beverages corresponds with a loss in bone density <i>in women</i>, but some say it's due to changes in renal function, some say it has to do with the phosphoric acid in colas changing the calcium/phosphate ratio, some say that the bicarbonate ions take up calcium in the blood stream so your body takes it from your bones instead, and some say it's just because you're drinking sodas instead of something healthier, like milk...

My thoughts are, having a carbonated beverage every now and again isn't going to hurt, especially if you're taking your supplements. You'll do more harm to your body if you're overweight than if you have two carbonated drinks a week!

Ogdog13 11-20-2009 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echobaby (Post 3019639)
The byproducts of you burning your own fat for fuel are ketones. The Ketostix detect these in your urine. You pass a Ketostix strip through your stream, and it tells you more or less if you are in KETOSIS which is the state this diet aims for. Generally, if your strip turns any shade of pink or purple, you are throwing off ketones. This is a good gauge of when you are ingesting too many carbs for weight loss (especially hidden ones in dressings, medicines, sauces, etc.) It's also been VERY motivational for me for times when the scale doesn't move. I know I'm still burning fat, but just have to be patient and let my body adjust or whatever it's doing. As Josh was told, for some people they may cease to turn purple as they get closer to ideal weight(less and less fat to burn), but in the beginning stages of weight loss, they can be excellent tools.
You can get them at the pharmacy w/o a prescription. At some pharmacies you have to ask the pharmacist. You can also get KETO-DIASTIX.

:(Diabetics use Ketostix/Keto diastix to monitor their blood sugar. To them the sticks turning pink or purple is a warning sign of trouble that they are burning through their food/insulin too quickly. For non diabetics ketosis is a benign state wherin we're just burning bodyfat.

Thank you!!!

Ogdog13 11-20-2009 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolbreeze (Post 3019779)
Hi all! Havent posted for awhile. Yesterday was my bday, and I surpassed my goal of my wedding weight! My next goal is 165, law school weight and then finally goal.
Last night I had a glass of red wine for my bday and a few bites of desserts we ordered, and thankfully, it didn't effect me. I used it as a reward.
I am excited to be approaching the end of my journey. If it is of any help to anyone, if I was starting again, here are some things I learned:

1. Crystal light effects my loss even though my coach said it was ok. I stick with hot tea, decaf coffee, or water.

2. There were a couple days where I had two restricted. Either I had a horrible schedule, away from home, PMS, whatever. On those days, I made sure to exercise. I lost a little less those times but I nonetheless loss and didnt quit the program.

3. I find exercise speeds up my loss as long as I eat additional protein. Otherwise I fear I lose muscle.

4. My water retention surrounding time of month is for a week before and during. I continued to lose fat. Gotta love my coach's scale. It showed one week I lost 4 lbs fat, but gained 2 lbs water (PMS). Great info.

5. I learned that a low carb sanity cheat here and there didnt hurt me and helped me stay on plan. Lunchmeat, a slice of cheese...at a party i had some buffalo chicken dip with celery. No impact and it was fun to eat at the party.

6. For the first time, I am learning to use veggies everywhere. My fav addition is pureed steamed broccoli in the IP chicken soup. I will keep doing that in maintenance using low fat chicken soup.
Finally, I've decided to stay mostly on plan for Thanksgiving. Turkey is great, and I will bring roasted asparagus and a low carb pumpkin pie (replacing my nightime snack). I will probably also have a glass of red wine (2 carbs). I want to learn how to live for the future, and these seem like reasonable compromises over the thousands of calories I used to eat at Thanksgiving. Thanks for letting me write all of this out! It helps me. :-)

No, thank your for your honesty and giving us even more inspiration!!

echobaby 11-20-2009 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilita175 (Post 3010691)
Update: completed week 4 of Phase I. Lost 19 pounds total.

Lilita, Hi.
I post on the November chat board and have asked people if they would share their experiences with their menstrual cycles and how it affected their weight loss on IP. I am beginning my 4th week, also no cheating, and this past week recorded no weight loss.

Some say they had little or no loss for a couple weeks, then bam...large losses following. Some say even a week out, slower loss. What is your experience?:?:

df1960 11-20-2009 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogdog13 (Post 3019265)

Ketostix are sticks to analyse your urine to see if your ketosis (burning fat), you can buy them at any pharmacy, I got some this week at walmart $9.12 (cdn).

echobaby 11-20-2009 09:59 PM

Have you guys noticed that pretty much every single one of us, no matter what kind of slow or no-moving weeks we have, seem to average out around 3-3.5 lbs. a week? Even Valkyrie, I think, who has been on this longer than any one of us, and has lost more than 100 lbs.? This makes me glad that we've chosen to stick with this. I can't think of anything else I've tried where this was so. I even knew a guy who did lap-band, and I don't think over a years time he averaged as much.

This is something I'll give thanks for on Thanksgiving. Yeah, I know how corny that is.

ukandewit 11-20-2009 10:04 PM

I was checking out possible occasional substitutes for IP (to use once in awhile to save some money), and found EAS AdvantEDGE carb control drinks. They're a little over $1 each. I'll post nutrition facts for the vanilla below - just curious what you all think? I'm not going to list all ingredients, but will say it is mostly Soy Proteine Isolate and Whey Protein, plus lots and lots of other ingredients (I do like that IP items only have a short list, of mostly identifiable ingredients - a majority of the additional ingredients in the EAS shakes are vitamins though). Sweetened with sucralose.

Calories 110
Total Fat 3
Cholesterol 20mg
Sodium 260mg
Potassium 440mg
Total Carb 2 g
Dietary fiber 1
Sugars 0
Protein 17 g

What do you all think of the idea of trying these a few time a day (ex: I could totally do a shake for breakfst everyday instead of a IP packet...and save $21 a week) Any reason not to? Any pros? Just looking for opinions/advice.

Thanks!

echobaby 11-21-2009 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukandewit (Post 3020238)
I was checking out possible occasional substitutes for IP (to use once in awhile to save some money), and found EAS AdvantEDGE carb control drinks. They're a little over $1 each. I'll post nutrition facts for the vanilla below - just curious what you all think? I'm not going to list all ingredients, but will say it is mostly Soy Proteine Isolate and Whey Protein, plus lots and lots of other ingredients (I do like that IP items only have a short list, of mostly identifiable ingredients - a majority of the additional ingredients in the EAS shakes are vitamins though). Sweetened with sucralose.

Calories 110
Total Fat 3
Cholesterol 20mg
Sodium 260mg
Potassium 440mg
Total Carb 2 g
Dietary fiber 1
Sugars 0
Protein 17 g

What do you all think of the idea of trying these a few time a day (ex: I could totally do a shake for breakfst everyday instead of a IP packet...and save $21 a week) Any reason not to? Any pros? Just looking for opinions/advice.

Thanks!

OK., The only thing is the taste is not great. But I take it you've tried it and can live with it, as could I. Maybe I will try them again in the late stages, but honestly, right now would throw me. Good luck!

If you do, will you tell us what you think?

Sandrab 11-21-2009 01:24 AM

the post about the "distribution of products" is similiar to one i posted awhile back which included my thoughts of the variances in information coming from medical clinics verse distributors.

i was specifically asking about the carbonated water for that reason. i did not necessarily feel that the response i was given from the distributor was accurate so put the question out there to see if anyone here had helpful information.

i am not familiar enough with "sweeteners" to have known to question about the equal, because until this diet, i have never used either products.

thanks for the insight and have a good weekend ladies!!

20bydec 11-21-2009 10:21 AM

I agree with the average of 3-3.5# per week. I also have found my weight loss and inches loss are about equal (18#, 18") WOW!
I'm already thinking how to manage Thanksgiving - i'm going to eat turkey, bring a salad to share (forget the pies, they're not my favorite anyway) small amt of potatoes, the bread is "calling my name", so i'll have to stay away from that or i'll eat the whole loaf!) :)
Good luck to all of you. I've passed on this web site to my center and others on IP. I love all the thoughts and helpful hints. But i do agree with others that we have to do what works for us, sometimes that means not following all the rules!

torchlaker 11-21-2009 12:04 PM

Wow...I miss 2 days of reading the forum, and there are great posts on here now. Altho I can't remember "who" said "what" - I do have some comments (naturally).

Echobaby -- that was very interesting about the Matrol asking you to be a distributor. Kinda scarey, tho, really! One of the big reasons I went on IP is because it was monitored medically. I do realize not everyone has this advantage, so I feel very fortunate to see both my doctor and her nurse. If my nurse doesn't know the answer, she asks the doctor. On the Miralax question, doc didn't really know the answer either, so she checked it out. I think that is why the forum is so helpful. I truly believe there are very FEW hard and fast rules (i.e., Crystal light, exercise, carbonated water, etc.).. You all know MY plan is to eat more than one restricted a day. Yes, I lose slower, but I lose! Since 9/9/09, I have only NOT lost one time and that was my cheat weekend. YES -- I am disappointed with the usual 2#-3# weight loss...but YET...I think back to Weight Watchers or any other diet I have been on. Heck, everyone used to clap at WW when I lost 1/4# and in MY head, I am thinking, "All this work and it is a 1/4# loss?". As I near my goal, I do expect weight loss to be slower with not as much fat to burn, so I try not to be disappointed! My body fat is nearly normal! My BMI is nearly normal!! I haven't added up the inches yet, but I should. I sure can tell when I am taking 3"-4" out of a pair of pants or tops. I guess my advice is to ask questions on the forum, see what others have been told.....CoolBreeze finds that Crystal Light slowed her weight loss. I added 16oz of Crystal Light 2 weeks ago, and my weight loss is the same....we are not all built the same way.

CoolBreeze -- written like a lawyer!! Great advice! I should write down what I have learned (but I am not that organized).

As far as PMS -- can't help anyone there. Had a radical hysterectomy 20 years ago. I still had chocolate cravings whenever that "time" came around for years. Now -- I will eat some Chocolate Soy Puffs and suck the chocolate off them first!!

I, too - will be looking for substitutes to help me stay close to plan while I am away for 3 weeks. One suggestion - Netrition.net has nutrition values for everything and has reviews! (no, I don't work for them, honest!!). This is something I plan to do in the next few days. I hate shakes...so I am looking for a hot cereal in the a.m., maybe some bars, and puddings. My favorite DiVinci syrup lately has been the "pumpkin pie" flavoring...great in butterscotch OR vanilla puddings. My next favorite is Toasted Marshmallow....again, from Netrition. Once I do my research, I will post what I am ordering (and if I like it). I would be interested to know if anyone has found supplements less expensive but with the same ingredients as IP.

OK -- Josh...what are kelp noodles? Are they like those slimey Shiratake noodles? You are doing SO well.....I will be thinking about you on Thanksgiving as I will be alone and away from family as well.

Someone mentioned Dr. Tan's book...where did you get that? Does it ever give examples of other things to eat beside IP?

OK - another day of altering ahead of me. I live in warmup suits in the winter and I have a bunch of them. Trying to alter my favorites....

I am proud of everyone here. Please don't get discouraged if your weight loss is less than others posting.....Some of you are dealing with PMS - some are built differently...others have health issues. I just keep telling myself it is better than the 1/4# that I was supposed to get excited about on WW!!

echobaby 11-21-2009 03:19 PM

:dance::dance::dance::dance:TORCHLAKER QUOTE:...so I am looking for a hot cereal in the a.m., maybe some bars, and puddings....

go to lowcarbu.com. They have low carb hot cereals very similar to our oatmeal, and they come in a variety of flavors. A box of 5 is 5.49 plus shipping(affordable). They have 12g. of protien, but they have only 3gs. net carbs and 90 cals. Hey, why didn't I think of this before? You guys are gonna want to kill me for not sharing this earlier when you go to this site. I used them a lot years ago when I was doing Atkins. The store is in L.A. and I would go by when I got off work. For some reason, I forgot about them completely until I just got my monthly email from them this week. Happy shopping!