Old 10-12-2007, 05:28 PM   #1  
Kristina

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Default Pumpkin Muffins

This may be an old recipe, but I just found it, made them and they are wonderful!

1 Spice Cake Mix
1 15 oz can of pumpkin
1 can of water

Mix all together - it gave me 20 muffins - at 2 pts each - and they are amazing!
Prissiroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:59 PM   #2  
hara hachi bu

I've used this recipe a ton, but I never added water to it. It's an excellent fall breakfast!! A muffin with a glass of milk and a banana or hard-boiled egg - perfect.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:25 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Lately I've been making whole wheat pumpkin cakes for dessert from scratch, and they are similar to this but completely fat free (I haven't been able to find a trans fat free cake mix yet...anyone have any luck with that?).
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:16 PM   #4  

I LOVE this recipe but don't add water. I do add an egg white. I have also used butter pecan cake mix. The only problem is my kids Bogart them.

You can store them in the fridge or freezer and nuke them to warm them up.
katmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:20 PM   #5  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Lately I've been making whole wheat pumpkin cakes for dessert from scratch, and they are similar to this but completely fat free (I haven't been able to find a trans fat free cake mix yet...anyone have any luck with that?).
Will you please share that recipe? I have a bake sale coming up and I need to find a healthy choice for those of us who watch our weight.
dixied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:02 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Sure! Fair warning, though, my palate has been altered from not eating a ton of very sweet things, so some people might not find these as sweet and "cake like" as they would expect. They are fairly dense, but flavorful, and I find them quite good. They do have that "whole wheat flour" taste, but I figure, hey, they're made from whole wheat flour, so that makes sense.

I don't bake these in a standard muffin tin, I make them in 10 oz ramekins. It makes a perfect portion size for my dessert. You could make them in muffin tins, it'd be a shorter bake time.

One more note on the recipe - I use the same basic formula to make apple spice cakes...just replace the pumpkin with applesauce.

The below makes 4 cakes in the 10 oz ramekin, I'd guess it'd make about 7-8 muffins but I don't know for sure, so its all experimental.

1 cup whole wheat flour (I use King Arthur "White Whole Wheat" flour...its made from a different wheat varietal so its a little less heavy than a traditional whole wheat flour)
1 cup pure pumpkin
1/4 cup splenda
1/4 cup sugar (note - I have made these all Splenda. They don't brown as well but are pretty good, and its an easy place to cut calories. The best compromise, I've found, between calories and taste/browning is the half sugar/half splenda)
1.5 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla extract

Combine the flour, salt, baking powder, splenda, sugar, and spices in a small bowl. Add the pumpkin and vanilla and stir to combine. Note that this is a lot thicker than a traditional cake batter, but that is OK. If you find that the batter really isn't coming together (ie, there is dry flour in the bowl that can't be absorbed), add a bit more pumpkin. Spray muffin tins or ramekins with cooking spray, and divide batter equally between all of them.

Bake in a 375 degree oven. If baking in ramekins (the recipe makes 4 ramekins), it takes about 20 minutes. I'd guess a muffin tin would take 10-15, but since I haven't done it that way, keep an eye on it...they are done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out cleanly.

Now, if you want to give this a slightly decadent twist, may I recommend a drizzle of brown sugar caramel? The ingredients on this are kind of scary looking for the average person watching their weight (butter? sugar?) but you only need a drizzle over the top.

1/4 cup, unpacked, brown sugar
1.5 tbsp butter (i cut calories in this by using a light margarine. It works just as well.
1 tbsp honey or molasses.

Melt the butter in a very small saucepan. Stir in the honey and brown sugar. Whisk constantly over medium low heat. The brown sugar will melt, and the caramel will start bubbling. Maintain at a bubble, whisking constantly, until the mixture starts to be visibly thicker. CAREFUL - this stuff is boiling sugar and it is HOT. Cook about 30 seconds after you notice the caramel is really thickening and clinging together, then pull from the heat. Drizzle over the baked cakes/muffins immediately.

Nutritionals obviously depend on with/without caramel and on how many servings you get from the recipe.

In ramekins, this is about 175 calories (and actually pretty nutritious) without the caramel drizzle.

In cupcake tins, you'd be talking (assuming you got 8 cakes) 87 calories per, again, without drizzle.

The drizzle (with real butter, not the light margarine) adds 44 calories per mini cake or 88 calories per ramekin. The way I make this (light margarine, it is transfat free but a little "frankenfood" for some people, which I respect), the calories are trimmed to 68 cals for the ramekins, or 34 per cupcake.

By the way, on the cakes, if you use all splenda instead of the splenda/sugar mixture, you'll save 20 calories per cupcake/muffin or 40 calories per ramekin.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:46 PM   #7  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Sure! Fair warning, though, my palate has been altered from not eating a ton of very sweet things...
I just entered your recipe into the WW Recipe Builder. If you get 8 muffins (not ramekins but muffins!) then they are 1 point each (I didn't enter that caramel drizzle). I think I'm going to try these... I have all the ingredients at home already thanks to a friend dumping a couple of cans of pumpkin on me a couple weeks ago!
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:47 PM   #8  
Size 10 or BUST!!

S/C/G: 266/261.5/150

Height: 5' 10"

Caramel Drizzle....Mmmmmm
tired of the size 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:26 PM   #9  
I want the fully monty..

S/C/G: 240/check ticker/170

Height: 6ft

OMG the first recipe posted I made because it was so easy and it's sooooo delicious. Thanks so much.
xdominic89x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:46 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Here's my recipe that I just posted elsewhere. 117 cals and 1.7 g fat each.

Wet Ingredients:
1 15oz can solid pack pumpkin
2 large eggs
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground cloves
grating of fresh nutmeg

Dry Ingredients:
1.5 cups ground rolled oats (put 2 cups rolled oats into a food processor and pulse until it's flour-like)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

preheat oven to 350deg F

Whisk together all the wet ingredients in a medium bowl until smooth.

Whisk together all the dry ingredients in a separate bowl until well combined.

Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients, mixing gently by hand. Do not overmix. It’s ok if the batter is lumpy. It will all bake out in the end, I promise.

Divide batter among muffin cups and bake until puffed and golden brown and wooden pick or skewer inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, 35-40 minutes.

Cool in pan on a rack 5 minutes, then transfer muffins from pan to rack and cool completely before packaging and storing.

Makes 12-14 muffins. The nutritional data is for 12.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote