3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Goal! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/goal-199/)
-   -   Here Goes :Deep Breath: (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/goal/91226-here-goes-deep-breath.html)

SilverVixen 08-10-2006 12:34 AM

Here Goes :Deep Breath:

My Long Story :)

I started struggling with my weight after high school. In college I ate a lot of junk, didn't exercise, and ballooned up. By age 20 I weighed about 150lbs. (I am only 5'3" :) ) Something happened as I approached my 21st birthday, however. The weight started to melt off. I was down about 10 lbs when I decided to help it along by counting calories. I ate a strict 1200 calories a day and in three months I was down to 110 lbs.

I wanted to be thinner. I began cutting my calories further. Soon I was existing on 500 calories a day. I dieted my way down to 80lbs and got very sick the summer I turned 22. I won't go into details about my illness except that it was horrible and made me realize that I wanted to be healthy and strong, not just thin.

It was at this point that I discovered the joys of exercise. I read every exercise book I could and created my own program. I ended up at a slim 130 lbs, a weight I discovered my body was very happy at. I found that I could maintain that weight of 130 lbs with minimal effort. I exercised every other day on a Stair Master and worked out with free weights on the other days. I was toned and strong.

I maintained myself at 130 lbs until I began working full time after college. The weight gain was slow and insidious; the scale inched up in increments of two or three pounds, and I would delude myself into thinking "oh, its only three pounds. I'll exercise more next week and those pounds will be gone." :( Except I never did exercise more. It was easier to sit in front of the computer or the TV after my long commute than to exercise. Couple the fact that every Friday some kindly coworker would bring donuts or bagels to work, and the fact that I was just generally not watching how many calories I ate, all took its toll. I gained fifteen pounds in about a year.

I managed to keep my weight at no more than 145lbs by off and on exercising. As the years passed by my exercise attempts were more "off" than "on" and from 2000 to 2001 I put on another five pounds. Every day I would say "I'll start a diet and get back to exercising tomorrow and the pounds will come off." I was in denial about being overweight and refused to face the fact that I had regained much of the weight that I had lost years before.

I got married in November 2001 and on my wedding day I tipped the scales at 154lbs. I was still fooling myself that I was ok with my weight. Even my wedding photos, in which I looked terrible, didn't affect me enough to make me take action. I then made the mistake a lot of new brides make: I started eating like my husband ate. He's three inches taller and has a runner's lean build. He can eat junk food all day and not gain a pound. :mad: We shared bags of chips, containers of ice cream, and bags of candy, washed down with plenty of pop. Six months later the scale read 174 lbs.

174 lbs was sort of a wake up call for me. I managed, through some small combination of diet and exercise to get back down to 154 lbs. This started a three year yo-yo cycle of me getting disgusted with my weight, dieting down to 154lbs, being so happy to get there, and then gaining 10-11lbs back. My average weight during this period was around 160-161lbs.

It was not until we visited this small resort in Palm Springs last July that I finally decided that I'd had enough of being fat, and that I was finally going to seriously do something about it. We had gone out to dinner one night with the rest of the guests and the owners. There were a total of eight couples, and I was easily the heaviest woman there. All the other women were thin and were wearing cute outfits and I just looked frumpy. I felt so horrible about myself and absolutely disgusted with the woman I saw in the mirror. I didn't even look like myself anymore.

About six months earlier, we had purchased an elliptical machine and a recumbent bike. When we came home from Palm Springs, I began using them. I started out doing five minutes on each one. I worked my way up to 45 minutes on each machine. I started strictly counting my calories again, since that was what had worked for me sixteen years ago. This time, however, I was more sensible about it and by eating no more than 1500 calories a day, I lost over 30 lbs, going from 162-164 lbs to 130 lbs in eight months.

I have since incorporated back in a strength training program that is a mixture of pilates and ballet. I currently do aerobic exercise five days a week, for an hour a day, 30 minutes on each machine, and do my strength training program three days a week, for an additional hour. I eat anywhere from 1800-2100 calories per day and have been maintaining my weight at 129-130 lbs since February of 2006.

I would say that the lesson I learned is that both daily exercise and healthy eating are the keys to weight control. If you neglect either one, the weight will return. I hope I never forget that lesson because I love being a fit and healthy person. I never ever want to go back to being fat and out of shape.

Thanks for letting me share my story. :D

~Silvervixen

lilybelle 08-10-2006 12:48 AM

Thanks for sharing your inspirational story. I am so happy that you found a weight that is both healthy and that makes you happy. Congratulations.

lanabs 08-10-2006 10:19 AM

Thanks for sharing your story. I too am 5'3" and wish to (and will) get down to 130 lbs. I just have to be patient and remember that I didn't get to 160 lbs. in a few weeks (I have lost 3 lbs.- now @ 157) and can't get it off in a few weeks (by Thanksgiving would be nice). The exercise after work is one of the hardest things, but I'll keep plugging away.

MelodyL 08-10-2006 01:43 PM

WTG on reaching a healthy weight and thanks for sharing your story. Keep up the great work!

SilverVixen 08-15-2006 01:35 PM

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments. I am glad to be able to share my story. I can't say whether it is an inspiration or not since there are so many other wonderful stories posted here, but it was nice to share, and if I do inspire anyone, that would be great, too.

Once again, thank you all.

~Silvervixen

mom2cole 08-18-2006 05:42 PM

Thank you for your story. It sounds so similar to mine and it gave me the motivation to keep going with my weight loss. I was at my heaviest right after giving birth to my second son, but what woman isn't a little heavy after giving birth? So I always start with the weight I was when I got pregnant which was 183, I started weight watchers in April and was 172 I am now at 153 and have kindof given up a little since I have been in a rut for a month and haven't lost anything. So now I am going to go and exercise and try and get back down to 130, I was at 115 in high school but I think 130 is reasonable for a 26 year old mom of two! thanks again Erika

Abbeycat36 08-20-2006 02:19 AM

Hi,
Congratulations on reaching your goal and thank you for sharing your story.
YES absolutely every story is inspiring. Positive vibes and great successes are a great motivator.

Thanks so much and congrats again! :hug:

ziggy71 08-25-2006 11:55 PM

Thank you so much for sharing your inspirational story....

alinnell 09-14-2006 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverVixen (Post 1365321)
My Long Story :) It was not until we visited this small resort in Palm Springs last July that I finally decided that I'd had enough of being fat, and that I was finally going to seriously do something about it. We had gone out to dinner one night with the rest of the guests and the owners. There were a total of eight couples, and I was easily the heaviest woman there. All the other women were thin and were wearing cute outfits and I just looked frumpy. I felt so horrible about myself and absolutely disgusted with the woman I saw in the mirror. I didn't even look like myself anymore.

I live in Palm Springs, well, Palm Desert, and I know I sure felt frumpy, too! I'm not to goal yet, but I don't feel frumpy any longer. Do you think it's a girl thing? Guys just don't GET frumpy--I know my DH doesn't understand it.

SilverVixen 09-14-2006 11:42 PM

Allison:

Yes, I would say "frumpy" is a girl thing. It ties into the differential treatment women receive based on their physical appearance.

A man can carry extra weight, and still be perceived as desirable and successful in the world. A woman, however, is judged much more harshly if she is even a little overweight. (More so by other women, go figure!) So for a man, it just doesn't weigh as heavily. (No pun intended :))

By the way, congrats on losing over 30lbs! WTG! :carrot: You definitely should not feel "frumpy" any more! :D

~Silvervixen

Iwant2bethin 04-10-2007 12:51 PM

Your story was beautiful!!! Brought tears to my eyes!!!i'm very proud of you!!!:)

wannabetiny 04-10-2007 02:11 PM

Very encouraging story! It reminds me of my own, and that makes me feel I can do it, too. Your attitude is great and thanks for sharing your journey with us.

poppins3 04-10-2007 06:17 PM

Wow, you've given me so much hope! That I could lose on 1,500 calories and maintain on 1,800 - 2,100, along with a good workout program, is really inspiring!

Thank you for your story!

hefty1 04-11-2007 08:15 AM

you don't look frumpy with that body. glen

smisen 05-13-2007 06:39 PM

Wow - what a terrific story! Thanks for sharing your journey with us :)