Goal! Have you reached your goal? Share your success story and celebrate your victory!

Old 01-05-2015, 08:16 PM   #1  
Blessed Person Here

S/C/G: Going/Still going/Gone

Height: 5' 1''

Default New Year weightloss resolutions: Are they doomed?

I'm not sure if this thread belongs here, kindly move it if it doesn't.

I was pondering over my new goal for 2015: to become a runner in order to lose weight. This is the 3rd consecutive year I'm making such a decision about my weight.

I usually start reflecting about my weight issues (and life in general) around December. I notice that I am exactly at the same place I was the previous year and that not much has changed. I think about the fact that maybe my weight is preventing me from finding love (I've been single for 4 years now). So I jump in and start a weightloss journey.
  • 2 years ago I spent a fortune on a one year gym membership at an upscale gym center. I thought that spending that amount of money was going to push me there. It didn't.
  • Last year I spent another fortune on an expensive threadmill. I felt having it right in the house, and considering the amount of money I spent on it I wouldn't have any other choice than to get on it and work out. Even if it's just a few minutes a few times in the week.

Now I'm wondering if that's not the reason why I get discouraged in the course of the year and regain what I lose at the beginning of the year.

Am I the only one feeking like this? Are there successful weightloss stories which started as new year resolutions?
thirti4thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:25 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 181.4/191.6/145

Height: 5'6.5

I think anytime we try to make a big change the odds are stacked against us. I went back to work today and when I came home getting ready for tomorrow took enough time that I wondered how many days I would keep it up.

However, I also think that even if resolutions do not last, the time is not wasted. Say I eat healthier for 3 months a year - that is way better than no months!
CanoeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 294/ticker/240

Height: 6' 4"

I resolved to lose weight on Jan 1 last year but didn't start until June. It's been successful so far.

Just one thing I want to mention, weight loss should include eating fewer calories and not just exercise. Look up how many calories exercise really burns, and it puts things into perspective.
superfluous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:34 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

I think it's the mindset that dooms New Years Resolutions, not the resolutions themselves.

By which I mean, if I were to start a resolution specifically for the New Year, the whole idea of starting on January 1st would be tied to a specific goal timeline for the course of the year. So if I got off track for a month, it wouldn't seem worth getting back on track because there would no longer be any way of reaching my goal in the time limit I set. And I wouldn't have the joy of measuring from the convenient beginning of a year. So I might as well wait until the beginning of next year... but then the cycle repeats.

I think I read a stat that said the most successful diets start on Wednesdays, but I'm willing to bet that weekday has changed now because anyone with that mindset is going to jump to a Wednesday to start their diet in the hopes it will be more successful, and it doesn't work like that.

Weight loss is a lifelong process, and even once you get there you have to keep going. So it doesn't matter when you start, and it doesn't matter when you plan to finish. It's not like writing a paper or even running a marathon. It's a lifestyle difference that has to stick forever.
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:53 PM   #5  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

I think we set our sights too high when we make resolutions and we don't think through the process of what it will take to get there. If your goal is to lose X number of pounds in the next year, starting on Jan. 1, you won't be very likely to do it.

If you specify your goal and how you will achieve it, I think it becomes more feasible. Even more so if you do it in a way you will enjoy (do you even like running?) and with family and friends and 3FC to support you. Keep the goals smaller. "Run X miles a week" and then reassess after a month, for example.

Jan. 2013 I decided I would join the gym in order to lose weight. August 2013 came and I was still going to the gym (which was making me go broke - I have since joined a cheaper gym) and I hadn't lost more than 5 pounds. Then I got some news which drove me to take it more seriously and have since lost 50 pounds (after developing a plan, weight loss goals, exercise goals and adhering to a new lifelong way of eating), but it absolutely had nothing to do with that initial resolution.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 240/225/120

Height: 5'0

I didn't make any New Year's Resolutions this year. Of course I want to lose weight and after some heartbreak in the beginning of the year and finding a few gray hairs, I'm more determined then ever to try to lose weight. However, in my case I realize it may take more than a year to lose all my weight. I'm 5'0 tall and around 230ish lbs. I obviously need to lose at least 100 lbs if not more.
PrincessKLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:26 PM   #7  

I'm going to peep in here because I am a person who usually keeps my new years resolutions. So I thought I'd share a little bit.

"Become a runner" is vague. Way too vague. Even things like "Going to the gym I just spent a fortune on" is too vague. When I make my goals, I make them very specific. For example, I don't just say, "I will read 15 books this year." I do the work to go through which specific books I want to read. Just that vague goal is overwhelming. But when I get into, it's fun. Like, I'm excited when I say, "I'll read "The Never Ending Story" this year. A book I've always wanted to read! And that book also!"

So for runner, what specifically do you want to start on? Make this multiple goals, not just one. One goal could be routing the path you want to run everyday. Another goal could be walking the route to learn it. Another could be powering walking the path in a certain time. Then running. Another goal could be compiling an outfit for it or a fanny pack with water or something. Tiny goals with compile into a big goal.

And just remember that a weightloss journey can take a very long time. I haven't lost nearly as much weight as other people have on this forum. But the 30 lbs I have lost (and so far have generally maintained) has been a 3/4 year journey and still ongoing.

Small, steady steps are the key.
MinnieMouse91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:57 AM   #8  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

^ That's a good point. In my line of work I am constantly reminding myself that goals should be SMART - Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Time-bound.

Why not apply the same thing in your personal life?
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:30 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 275/263/160

Height: 5'4"

I think New Year's resolutions CAN work. I resolved to quit smoking on the first, and voila! Cigarette free for almost 3 weeks.

I started gearing up for it last year, though. Trying to put myself in the right place mentally. Started visualizing myself thin and smoke free.
MsAnthropist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:28 PM   #10  

Height: 5"6

I totally know you can do it!

Just a thought on my experience with running and losing weight: In 2011, I was training for my first marathon. I was running 50 k a week at least and my weight didn't budge an inch. I had never ever paid attention to my nutrition and I started watching my calorie intake and honestly, BAM- 20 lbs overnight! k not overnight but it was fast!!

So, while your fitness goal is FANTASTIC, just remember that there are other pieces to the puzzle. Maybe that will help if you don't notice the change you want

Good luck!! <3
NorthernChick13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:42 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 253/253/149

Height: 170cm/ 5 ft 7in

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieMouse91 View Post
I'm going to peep in here because I am a person who usually keeps my new years resolutions. So I thought I'd share a little bit.

"Become a runner" is vague. Way too vague. Even things like "Going to the gym I just spent a fortune on" is too vague. When I make my goals, I make them very specific. For example, I don't just say, "I will read 15 books this year." I do the work to go through which specific books I want to read. Just that vague goal is overwhelming. But when I get into, it's fun. Like, I'm excited when I say, "I'll read "The Never Ending Story" this year. A book I've always wanted to read! And that book also!"

So for runner, what specifically do you want to start on? Make this multiple goals, not just one. One goal could be routing the path you want to run everyday. Another goal could be walking the route to learn it. Another could be powering walking the path in a certain time. Then running. Another goal could be compiling an outfit for it or a fanny pack with water or something. Tiny goals with compile into a big goal.

And just remember that a weightloss journey can take a very long time. I haven't lost nearly as much weight as other people have on this forum. But the 30 lbs I have lost (and so far have generally maintained) has been a 3/4 year journey and still ongoing.

Small, steady steps are the key.
This is Amazing advice ! Thanks for sharing this, I'm gonna apply this to my new years resolutions myself! Cheers
Golda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:31 PM   #12  

S/C/G: S/C/G: 179/179/159

Height: 5'7"

Great posts all around. I strongly agree with the *set smaller goals on your way to the BIG goal* idea. The sense of accomplishment when I meet one of my mini goals really helps me strive for the next one. It is constantly updated motivation. Also keeps the long road to the big goal from getting overwhelming!

Go get 'em!
irishAnn is offline   Reply With Quote