Goal! The long journey from 268lbs to 148lbs (Size 26 to Size 8)

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • Goal! The long journey from 268lbs to 148lbs (Size 26 to Size 8)

So my story is not new, I was a very active teenager and had no problem maintaining a fantastic body until I met my boyfriend (now my husband) my senior year of high school and threw my eating habits and exercise out the window. At 18 years old I went from an 8/10 to a 12 in my senior year. Then by the time I left community college to go to the university 2 years later I was a size 14. During my time in college I pursued a very stressful major, worked part time, was in a committed relationship and was broke as joke. I ballooned up to a size 24 by my wedding in 2004. After my wedding we moved back home and I started my career and I spent the first 18 months gaining a few more lbs and another dress size topping out at 268 lbs and a size 26.

In January of 2006 enough was enough. I’d had it with having to wear boxer shorts under my skirts to keep my thighs from rubbing together; I’d had it with spending an hour to choose something from my closet that didn’t make me want to burst into tears; I’d had it with one flight of stairs making me feel like I’d just ran a marathon; I’d had it with barely fitting into booths at restaurants and spilling over stadium seats; I’d had it with feeling like I was a trapped in someone else’s body and feeling completely humiliated every time I ran into someone who hadn’t seen me in a while.

So I joined Nutrisystem and a gym. By April I’d lost about 20 lbs. It was a great start and really taught me about portion control, but I knew that Nutrisystem was not a sustainable long-term plan for me. So I started trying it on my own with a plan that had me at about 1500-1800 cals a day. I lost another 50 lbs by October 2007.

At that point my husband and I decided it was time to start a family and we knew I had more to lose, but it was time. I got pregnant in November of 2007 and this was thanks to my weight loss. Prior to losing I had maybe one to two periods a year. To put it frankly, I was so fat I had stopped ovulating. I forget when my cycles started regulating, but without losing weight I would have never conceived. I gained 50 lbs with my pregnancy, not ideal, but it was what it was.

Once my son was born in August of 2008 I spent a few months adjusting to my new life but then I just kind of picked up my old healthy habits and thanks to what I had learned and nursing I was back down to my pre-pregnancy weight by July of 2009.

At that point my weight loss stopped and I just maintained my weight until my son weaned in November 2009. Since it was the holiday season, I felt no rush to start my journey again until January 2010. At that point I started calorie counting. This method of weight loss opened up a whole new world for me. I learned all about portion control and how to eat what ever I wanted within reason.

By June 2010 I had lost another 30 lbs and was really starting to feel like I was a normal size. I started really learning about fitness, I was officially a runner and a strength trainer, I was learning all about whole foods and I was eating for fuel. My cravings for fast foods had just disappeared…I was a health nut and I loved it! It took another few months to reach my goal and some soul searching to determine what my goal was but on today, July 18 of 2010 I have reached my goal of 148 lbs – 120 lbs lost.

At this point I plan to continue on for a few more lbs to give myself a little buffer and I will revaluate how I’m feeling at 145 lbs. I think that will be the magic number for me and I will give maintenance a go for a bit while I train for a half marathon.

I hope to post some better goal pics soon, but below is a link to a pick from this morning and some from two months ago. So for any of you who are feeling overwhelmed bit it all, just stick to it – 4 ½ years later and I’m still here and I did it!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/goal...ml#post3393708
  • Great job! You look fabulous in your other post
  • I am so impressed. My journey is just beginning but if you can do it so can I. You look incredible...I try to picture myself slim again and can hardly see it. I hope you will be a inspiration to me to continue on in my goals. My plan is to be healthy and feel energized again. I like your "health nut" plan. I would love to be a clean eater but need ideas of normal foods, not the unpronounceable overly grainy, nutty things. LOL. Let me know of some of your meal and snack ideas. I would love to hear from you
  • So inspirational! I love these goal stories - they give me strength to keep on plan!
  • wow, major congrats! I'm really happy for you!
  • Woohoo!! Way to go. Biggest congrats. You are inspiration. Your dedication and drive to just keep moving on with the next journey. Such amazing feats you accomplished.
  • A lot of the goal threads are several years old & I think it's fun to post here since I've been following your story for a while. And I feel like I "know" you. You have done an incredible job and have fought the long, hard battle. I am so glad you are joining the maintainer fold and I have so much to learn from you.

You have been on this journey for 4+ years and have a lot to teach. And what I like about you is you are open to learning.

Congratulations and omg, you look smoking in your photos.

Please keep posting. I love to read what you have to say.
  • ncuneo, you look absolutely fabulous. Seriously fabulous. So healthy and slim! Congratulations on making this big lifestyle change; you look like a million bucks and I bet you feel pretty good, too!
  • Great story, thanks for sharing!
  • Awesome!
  • wow! go youu!
  • Congrats!
  • Wow congtats!!!!
  • Congrats!!
  • Congratulations! You Look Great!