Goal! Have you reached your goal? Share your success story and celebrate your victory!

Old 07-18-2009, 12:29 PM   #106  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

waiting2exhale - thank you for your kind words! You can do this, and I can't wait to read of your progress! It is nice to have another Michigander around here

Pnut Butter - thank you for your post! What is really great about eating healthy foods, is that eventually you actually PREFER the healthy foods. I now reach for them first.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:43 PM   #107  

S/C/G: 250.2 | 205.2 | 130.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountingDown View Post
And the story unfolds...

OK, when my father died in his 50s, he was pushing 500 lbs. Needless to day, I am genetically predisposed to being overweight. I faced many challenges as a child, and learned to be an emotional eater at a very young age. Combine that with parents and grandparents that thought food was the panacea for all ills, and it is no surprise that I have battled my weight for most of my life.

I spent many, many years losing and gaining the same 80 lbs. The cycle is a familiar one: find a new diet, commit, work like a dog, fall of the wagon, give up, slowly re-gain some weight, realize that I had failed – yet again, give up, gain more weight.

And, what does it really matter, anyway? So, I am a bit chunky. I am successful in other areas of my life. I have great kids, I have a career where I help a lot of people, I have a wonderful church family that loves and appreciates me, I have an adoring husband that loves me unconditionally. I have a nice “fat girl” wardrobe that is professional and fun and makes me feel OK about myself. Who needs to be thin, anyway?

… and the cycle continues – over and over.

Then, with age 50 is just around the corner, I slowly realized that I CAN’T do all of the things I want to do. I can’t hike with the kids. I no longer cross-country ski. I abhor cleaning the house. I have neglected my gardens. And - if I keep up like this, what will the future hold?

So, how did it come to this?

Slowly, sneakily, stealthily - a pound here, less activity there, leisure activities that require no physical effort. Who has time to exercise anyway? Portion control and mindless – emotional eating have always been at the heart of my food issues. I like food – too much. Eating triggers something in my brain that makes me feel good. It makes me happy. It comforts me.

It is said, that the definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over again, expecting different results. Thus, if I was to lose weight - yet again, it had to be different this time. No diet. No deprivation. No regimented plans bound by time goals.

I have read hundreds of articles and books on losing weight. I know the science and the math involved. I can spout out the calorie count for most foods the way a baseball fan knows RBIs. Obviously knowledge is not enough. Action was required. A PLAN was required.
Attachment 29729

And thus began my journey to health and fitness on July 4, 2007. The journey has evolved; the plan has changed as the year has unfolded. It will continue to change. That is the way it is with lifestyle changes.

Currently, I count calories, eat 6 times daily, exercise 5-6 hours per week, balance 40/30/30 (carb, fat, protein) my calories, limit simple carbohydrate rich foods, and drink plenty of water.

Accountability and community are two new pieces for me on my weight loss journey. Recording my weight, exercise, and food intake; and using the information to adjust my plan has really been eye-opening. And I can’t stress enough, the importance of community. Finding 3FC in August was a God-send! My husband was getting really tired of my soliloquies on weight loss. My friends were in the same place. I needed to connect with people that “get it”. People that wouldn’t think I was crazy for getting excited about being able to do a push up, or finding a great salad dressing or the marvels of a “stretchie” band.

Through 3FC, I have learned that it really is about life-style changes. It is about learning, and growing, and getting back on plan when you stray. It is about celebrating success, comforting each other, and holding each other accountable. Thanks to the wonderful maintainers here, I have learned that I can expect to follow my plan for the rest of my life. They have taught me that maintenance is hard work, but it is doable, and it is worth it.

I couldn’t have done this without all of you. YOU made the difference for me. And, if you are still reading this, I leave you with one last thought:

If I can do this, YOU can do this. It IS worth the effort, sacrifices, and changes that you need to make. It won’t happen overnight, which is actually a good thing. You will grow, and change along the way. Enjoy the journey – celebrate each and every day that God has given you. Love yourself enough to do what is required to succeed.

Do it now - don’t wait, your life is calling.

What a wonderful post! Thank you so much for sharing your story!
zea mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:37 PM   #108  

Zea - thank you! Congratulations on your loss so far! Keep posting here - 3FC is such a great support site!
Old 07-18-2009, 09:40 PM   #109  

Great job with the weight loss! Iʼm inspired! Cant wait to see another progress pics. Cheers, Erin
OperationShapeShift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:36 PM   #110  

Erin, to 3FC! Thanks for your post!
Old 07-20-2009, 01:00 AM   #111  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/190

Height: 5'9"

Thank you for your inspiring words! That's why I just joined 3FC - I see people who understand what I'm going through, & have overcome!
bcort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:45 AM   #112  
Mind-Mouth-Muscle-Motion

S/C/G: 274/ticker/174

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Love yourself enough to do what is required to succeed.
That is really what it is all about isn't it?

Thank you for posting your very heartfelt story. Congratulations on reaching your goal and maintaining.
Judy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:03 PM   #113  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

You're an amazing person and inspiration. Thank you for sharing your story and congrats on your successes
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:13 PM   #114  

bcort - Thanks! You are on your way, keep at it and I will be reading your goal story one of these days!

Judy Lynn - persistence, not perfection is a wonderful mantra. You are right on target with that! Thanks for comment! And on your 9 lb. loss so far! Those first lbs. are hard!

Michelle - thank you! Congrats again on reaching onederland! You are such an inspiration to all the chickies around here. And, your kind words of support are fantastic! I am blessed to travel this journey with you.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:03 AM   #115  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountingDown View Post
bcort - Thanks! You are on your way, keep at it and I will be reading your goal story one of these days!

Judy Lynn - persistence, not perfection is a wonderful mantra. You are right on target with that! Thanks for comment! And on your 9 lb. loss so far! Those first lbs. are hard!

Michelle - thank you! Congrats again on reaching onederland! You are such an inspiration to all the chickies around here. And, your kind words of support are fantastic! I am blessed to travel this journey with you.

Awww, that means so much to me! Thank you
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:13 PM   #116  
Dot
is ready to lose weight

S/C/G: 240/236.4/120

Height: 5'3½"

What a lovely, inspiring story.
Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:49 PM   #117  

Thank you, Dot! We are glad you joined us here at 3FC. I look forward to reading of your progress
Old 08-21-2009, 08:34 AM   #118  

S/C/G: 229/229/150

Height: 5'8"

I am so glad I saw this thread. Counting Down, thank you so much!!!

This was exactly what I needed to hear. I am so glad I found this site and am hopeful that I can be as successful as you have been.

Congratulations
time2Bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:18 PM   #119  

S/C/G: 151/143/125

Height: 5ft 5"

Thumbs up Congratulations!

Congratulations!!!!

You are an absolute inspiration and you look absolutely gorgeous in the photos!

SpinyNorma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:57 PM   #120  

time2Bme - Thank you for your kind words! You can DEFINITELY be successful. Keep coming to 3FC, it really does help!

Spiny - Thanks!!! I'm so glad you joined us here at 3FC. I can't wait to see your goal pictures And, I ADORE your avatar!

Last edited by CountingDown; 08-21-2009 at 09:58 PM.