General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2001, 04:03 PM   #1  
Doin' it this time

S/C/G: 208.8/208.8/145

Angry The exchange program

Is there anyone out there doing the exchange program? Not the WW exchange. I have been struggling on and off to get back on a program. (Lost 20 pds before July) and gainned back half. I just watched my calories and tried to move more. I am doing this again but having a hard time (kicking myself ) in the butt to get back at it. I have read about this exchange program and it looks pretty basic so I was wondering if anyone had tried it and what they thought of it.

Thanks in advance for the info.
Old 10-07-2001, 01:04 PM   #2  

I am doing the exchange program but when you say "not WW", which I am doing, which one are you referring to? I didn't know there was something else.
I do like the WW exchange/selections though better then the points. I find I eat a more balanced diet and lose better.
Pat
Old 10-07-2001, 06:28 PM   #3  

Default WW Exchange

Where can I find information on the WW exchange?
Old 10-07-2001, 07:32 PM   #4  
Doin' it this time

S/C/G: 208.8/208.8/145

Default Here it is

I found it under
http://www.ghc.org/web/health_info/s...exchange.jhtml

I'm not sure if it is similar to the weight watchers version or not as I do not know what the weight watchers version is. Could you please fill me in.

Thanks
Old 10-09-2001, 11:17 AM   #5  

Default I couldn't get in

to the site you listed so I don't know what the difference is between that exchange program and WW. Basically the WW exchange program is a way of eating where you are allowed so many "breads" (starch vegs., cereals, pastas etc.) so many milks, fruits, proteins, and fats. You check them off on your tracker/journal. Hope that helps you a bit!
Pat
Old 02-24-2002, 02:32 AM   #6  

I see this is an older thread, but if you want info on the exchange diet, TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) has a great book that explains it in detail. TOPS does not specify a "diet" for it's members, but does encourage the exchange system as it is a very well balanced way to lose weight. In the past, I have done VERY well following this plan. You might want to see http://www.tops.org for more info. It is a wonderful NON-PROFIT weight loss support organization and costs $20 a year for membership, including a monthly magazine. Best of Luck!
Old 04-21-2002, 04:05 PM   #7  

Smile The exchange program

Hi Hockychic
I'm currently on an exchange program call "First Place". Sounds similar to TOPS program. You are allowed a certain number of serving of each food group, depending on the calorie leve that you are on. No specific diet just stick to amount of exchanges. We do focus on low fat as well as low sugar. I've tried other diets, but don't get as hungry on this one as others. You need to eat all of the exchanges that you are allowed in order to keep your body from shutting down and storeing fat. You also need to drink enough water, and exercise at least three days a week.
This is a christian based program started by southern baptist church in Texas and includes a bible study, which teaches you to put Christ First in your life. It is a very good and informative program and has taught me a new way of living and eating. I have totally enjoyed it.
I am interested in what you are doing, program wise, as well as your progress. I have lost 17lbs. from Jan 21, 2002 to April 7, 2002.
Old 04-22-2002, 10:25 AM   #8  

Default exchange plan....

Joanna M Lund has a book on the exchange program, "Healthy Exchanges Cookbook". In the first few chapters she tells you what the exchanges are. The recipes are very good. She also has other recipe books using the exchanges. I bought mine off of QVC, but Amazon might have some too. Good luck.
Old 04-28-2002, 04:59 PM   #9  

Default Healthy Exchanges by J. Lund

I just borrowed two of these cookbooks (which also detail her eating plan of 1400 - 1600 calories for women) from the public library. There are several things that hit me as favorable about this, and if anyone knows any other plans that do, as well, please let me know.

Her recipes break down into 3 different measures. Diabetic exchanges, regular stats (calories, carbs, fat, etc), and her own exchanges.

She uses a lot of convenient packaged foods in her recipes. I don't have time to cook everything from scratch, so it's nice to be able to open a can of "Brand X low fat chicken broth) to use in her recipes.

She uses the whole package in her recipes. She, like me, hates to use 1/3 of something and then leave it in the fridge to get thrown away some weeks later. Her recipes call for amounts that you can get in the store...with no waste.

She tells you which brands she used and got the best results with. It's nice to know which specific brand she got the best results with, since I have neither the time nor the money to waste trying to find out for myself.

The recipes in these books sound good. They are not the "3 ounce roasted chicken breast, 1 cup steamed broccoli, 1 cup plain wild rice" kind of meals. I have been reading reviews of her stuff, and am excited to go to the grocery store on payday and get some of the stuff in her recipes....I want to try them.

One other thing...she uses EVERYDAY kind of food. I'm feeding 5, including 2 teenaged boys and a meat and potatoes husband...so serving them some of the meals I've seen in some recipe books would get me lots of grumbles. These recipes really seem edible...for the average family. This also means they seem quite affordable as well.!

Well, enough said for now. I'll write back after taste testing some of these recipes during the next month.
Old 04-29-2002, 04:00 PM   #10  

Hi Lisa

Sounds right up my alley. Thanks for the info. I've been chesking out cookbooks at my library as well. I live in a small town so not very many that are up to date.

Bye for now
Closed Thread