3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General Diet Plans and Questions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions-10/)
-   -   Anyone read "How Much Does your Soul Weigh?" (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions/89527-anyone-read-how-much-does-your-soul-weigh.html)

sarahyu 07-19-2006 09:58 AM

Anyone read "How Much Does your Soul Weigh?"

I saw a discussion about the book by Dorie McCubbrey. Finally got a copy from inter-library loan. I skimmed it over the last couple days. It looks interesting. It's supposed to be "Diet free solutions to your food, weight and body worrries."

I know that when I started confronting my emotional eating I lost weight, when I started to take responsibility for my own happiness/contentment instead of eating the contents of the fridge because I was unhappy with life in general the weight seemed to melt off.

One paragraph that sticks out
'Weight problems are not about weight. Eating disorders are not about eating. We need to go beyond the external symptoms to address the internal cause. From anorexia to obesity and everywhere in between, all these symptoms reflect an attachment to the world and detachment from our intuitive guidance. When we reconnect with our intuitive guidance, weight problems solve them selves."

It's a thought provoking book.
Sarah

Suzanne 3FC 07-20-2006 12:14 PM

I bought that, but stuck it on my shelf and forgot about it. I'll have to pull it out and read it now, thanks :)

sarahyu 07-20-2006 12:42 PM

It has interesting journaling questions after each section. I don't know that I can do a completely "diet free" mentallity, but I do like the questions she asks. I think I'll incorporate them into my journaling maybe to get a hang on why I do some of the things I do.

A few other things that popped out at me and I promise not to get carried away like the last time I posted a book review:D :

Quote:

It’s a process of intuitive self-care. We don’t look in the right place for the answers to type of food, amount of exercise etc. We look outside ourselves. We need to act as spiritual beings having a human experience, not human beings having a worldly experience.
Quote:

It’s important to realize that thinness does not equal health and happiness.
Quote:

We need to shift from weight conscious to a spiritually conscious self.
Quote:

Well-being is enjoying life, here and now, in the moment. In this moment I have all I need to be perfectly happy. Learn to enjoy the process of the journey of freedom.

DeafinlySmart 07-20-2006 01:10 PM

I ate a cheesecake after a meal and drinks last night and was totally fine with it. I wasn't stuffing my face past being full. I was eating throughout a span of several hours and having fun with friends. It's when I do the I'm so mad I need a bag of chocolate or I've had enough to eat, but I don't want to waste it because it is good, or I've blown everything that it doesn't matter what I eat that everything gets muddy. Worst thing is the habit excuse. Everytime I go to the store I buy myself a candybar. I don't want that candy bar every single time. I'm used to buying it. Everytime I go to McD's I get the worst thing on the menu. I don't want that every time, but I'm used to buying it. I should get things when I crave them, but I should think healthier and less (portion wise) when it isn't my motivation. Who says you have to eat fries every time you go to a burger joint? Who says I have to eat a full meal every time the clock says it is that time? More importantly what are my excercise habits? Do I hate excercise? Who says excercise has to be at the gym? Who says tubing down the river with friends doesn't count.

Food is not the enemy. Motivations can be. Journaling for me helps me track those motivations or sidetracks, but seeing a less nutritionous meal on my journal here and there doesn't mean something bad.

sarahyu 07-20-2006 02:04 PM

When I give myself permission to eat certain "bad for you" type foods, I tend not to want it. Like I have some dark chocolate covered expresso beans in my kitchen. Everytime I see them I say "yes, you can have them but do you want them right now?" And I tend to not want them now. I've had that container for several months.

It's when I keep saying "No, you can't have it. You're on a diet." Then I get into a deprivation mind set and want the whole package just because I can't have it. I know it's very childish thinking. Something else to journal about.

Sarah