General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 06-05-2006, 03:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/200/190/180/170/160/150

Default Special K Challenge? Have u tryed it?

Have any of u tryed the special k challenge as seen on tv commercial AND Tyra banks show???????????? if so how did it go?

heres the site below

http://www.specialk.com/
bouncy209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 04:01 AM   #2  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Nope..... Just a sneaky way to make people cut calories and there are a lot more nutritious ways to do that!

Last edited by ValRock; 06-05-2006 at 04:12 AM.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 04:46 AM   #3  
itsforme

S/C/G: 189/174/140

I agree. I don't see anything balanced about eating cereal most of the day, and for myself dealing with insulin resistance, I stay away from any cereal altogther.

My goal has always been to lose weight, but I also want to do it in a way that is balanced and that I can live with for the rest of my life.

If this works for some, more power to them. I'd just be afraid of what would happen to my weight once I began eating normal meals again.
itsforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:26 AM   #4  
it's always something

Last week's Q/A from Karen Collins (RD) that we published here inlcuded cereal diets. I think she says pretty much the same thing that the other replies said. Sounds better than it really is. I personally think I'd be hungry all of the time if I did it.

Quote:
Q: Is the diet in which you eat a bowl of cereal for two meals a day a good idea?
A: This diet can sound like a great plan. It will help you avoid excess calories that fast food restaurant meals sometimes have. The fat content of a bowl of cereal is generally low, if you use nonfat or lowfat milk. And, depending on the cereal you choose, you could even eat a lot of fiber and added vitamins.

However, unless you include a substantial serving of fruit on or with the cereal at each meal, you’re unlikely to meet the goal of five to ten servings of fruits and vegetables daily that is recommended by experts like the American Institute for Cancer Research. While vitamin fortification might compensate a little for the lack of produce, research now shows that many health benefits come from the natural phytochemicals in fruits and vegetables. Fortification can’t replace these. Hundreds of phytochemicals have been identified. In addition, a meal of cereal is not necessarily lower in calories than other options. Lastly, cereal doesn’t provide as much nutrition as you would get from simple meals made from a greater variety of foods, focusing on vegetables, fruits, whole grains and beans. Eventually you will need to learn how to choose balanced meals. By also controlling your portion sizes and exercising regularly, you should be able to manage your weight more healthfully.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:12 AM   #5  

I tried the Special K Diet a few years ago. I couldn't stick with it because I was always hungry.
aleka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:21 PM   #6  
pole princess!

S/C/G: 136.5/136.5/107

Height: 4'10"

Default I just started this today.

I am going to try it. Is seems likeit will be hard.

Today I had the cereal for breakfast and lunch. I had a banana between those two meals. After lunch I ate about 25 cherries. For dinner I just finished a frozen Lean Cuisine (it had 1 serv of veggies). I will have another serving of fruit as my last snack. I will have eaten about 1000 calories today.
I exercised for 1 hr (circuit training) Im ok as long as I stay away from the junk my boyfriend will have at the movies tonight
Blueyedblond is offline   Reply With Quote