General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2001, 09:18 AM   #16  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default I don't do hack squats myself but...

I did look in Arnold's book (2 thumbs up - HIGHLY recommended - it goes into detail you don't find on the Planet kc site!!). He shows hack squats being done on a machine rather than using a barbell, which is probably the safest way to go.

I strongly urge you to go to your library and see if they have this book...Arnold goes into quite a bit of detail about every body part and has a lot of info on squats. Check out page 496 for squat form. He states:
Quote:
To get the most out of Squats, the bar should remain directly over your feet. As you bend your knees coming down, make sure your head is up and your back straight. This takes the lower back out of the movement and puts the stress on the leg and glute muscles where it belongs.
Hope this helps out...
Old 08-02-2001, 01:02 PM   #17  

Mrs. J-I have Arnold's book on order at the library! Thanks!
Old 08-03-2001, 07:22 AM   #18  
GARDENING ADDICT

Default I'm in the home stretch!

Today is C1W12D1 and I feel great!
I just saw something yesterday on L&S that really but things in a new perspective. How much weight do you move in one workout? Add up the total weight from each rep of every set.
Ex. Squats:12x70,10x80,8x90,6x100,12x90=840
Add up your entire routine and you will be FLOORED at what progress you are doing. My last LBWO I moved 23,745 lbs or 11.8725 TONS And it was done in 1 hour, no less.

So, how much weight did you move today
~~~Sil
Old 08-03-2001, 09:30 AM   #19  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Sil - yee haw!

Doesn't time fly when you're feeling great?

I can't believe I'm already near the end of Week 2 of C2!!!

I missed that thread on L&S - I've been so busy at work. Jim and I leave for Toronto on 1 Sept for a week of meetings - he's tagging along and I'll be super busy. Luckily I get to pick the menus - and I'm making sure that I can get my protein and carb each meal (plus I'll be packing a bunch of Myo Lite and MRBs).

Wow! I just did what you said (adding up each rep) for today's LBWO and came up with 40,760 pounds lifted! Phenomenal!!!
Old 08-03-2001, 02:46 PM   #20  

I just wanted to check in and say Hi. I am still doing my progam. I can really tell a difference in my body - I am feeling firmer. Does that make sense. I can really tell when I am putting on lotion. However this week I feel thick in the middle. I am hoping that will go away in the next few weeks. Just wanted to let everyone know I am still with ya. I just don't get to post as often as I would like.

MrsJim and susanje - challenge two - way to go. I am actually looking forward to challenge two cause I know what I want to do differently.

Susan - blastit
Old 08-03-2001, 07:29 PM   #21  

Hi everyone!

Wow! Is it hot here. Not sure how the weather is for you guys but it has been in the low 30's all week hovering in the high 30's with the humidex.

Just looking my eating and exercising plans for monday. I'm going to officially start on monday. Even though it is a holiday over here in Ontario.

A few questions before I start. What do you usually eat for your inbetween snacks. What weight did you start out? 5 pounds? What are the best tasting myoplex shakes and bars?

Talk to you all later,

Jennifer
Old 08-03-2001, 07:54 PM   #22  
Uber-Moderator!!

Talking Welcome Jennifer!

Starting on Monday? GREAT! That gives you the weekend to plan and do some research!!!

First off, I suggest that you also bookmark www.leanandstrong.com - they have a terrific message board that moves at a much faster pace than us gals here at 3FC. I think it's safe to say that most - if not all - of us BFLers here at 3FC also post or lurk at L&S. Great source of info!

On the L&S board "Tall Jen" (TJ) posts a daily menu thread. You can post your menu each day and she'll critique it and offer suggestions and praise. It's a great way to make sure you're eating right!

Actually on BFL, we DON'T have 'in between snacks'. What we have instead is six small meals a day, two-three hours apart, consisting of a palm-sized portion of protein and a fist-sized carb (check the Body for Life book - page 83 for the list of authorized foods). And at least two of those meals should include a serving of veggies along with that protein/carb serving.

Just for an example, here's my typical weekday menu/schedule:

4:15 p.m. - wake up, get dressed, drink water w/glutamine and creatine, walk to gym
5:00 a.m. - daily workout
6:00 a.m. - water w/creatine and glutamine, multivitamin
7:00 a.m. - Meal #1 - Myoplex Lite shake made w/water & ice
10:000 a.m. - Meal #2 - lowfat cottage cheese and fruit
1:00 p.m. - Meal #3 - Grilled chicken/veggies/brown rice bowl
4:00 p.m. - Meal #4 - Meal Replacement Bar (Worldwide Pure Protein and MetRx Protein Plus are my favorites) and a peach (you need to include a carb with this - by the way stay away from Myoplex Lite Bars - they taste terrible).
7:00 p.m. - Meal #5 - Boneless/skinless chicken breast, brown rice pilaf and a veggie (usually carrots or mushrooms)
9:15 p.m. - Meal #6 - Myo Lite made with water & ice just before bedtime, water w/creatine & glutamine

I strongly recommend checking out www.hussman.com/eas - this is a fantastic site which will explain exactly how BFL works...along w/Q&A! Talk to you soon!!
Old 08-04-2001, 08:19 AM   #23  

Sil-I record all my workouts at www.biketracker.com, and it adds the weight up for you. It's a great site, if you want to keep track of your workouts. I've been doing it since last year, and it shows just how far I've run, biked and how much weight I've lifted.

Here I am again at the end of week 7, with still no inch loss. It's sooo depressing! I know I have to wait the entire 12 weeks, but it's hard. I'm trying to keep hanging on, though.

Jennifer-Good luck on the program! You'll love it!
Old 08-04-2001, 09:56 AM   #24  

Hi Everyone!

Well, I'm coming to the end of my first 4 weeks and what a learning experience it has been! My last UBW really opened my eyes to how I SHOULD be feeling after a workout and since then I have been so PUMPED. The night before I went to the bodytransformers.com and listened to amazing Pam B's interview and it was so inspiring. She talked about how each of her workouts she worked out as if she was training for the olympics and gave it her all. The next day I did some cardio and it was like I was a different Michelle. Today I do my LBW and am really excited. This weekend I will be working on different routines for the next 4 weeks as well.

I believe I have crossed that abyss that Bill P. talks about. Even though I don't think I have had any results yet - other than some firming up here and there -- that's okay. I have the patience to wait for the results. THIS is a first for me! I just figure everything I am doing WILL net me the results - it's very exciting! Well, I do the picture thing and measuring thing on Monday for my 4 week update and I will post my results. I don't think I will post full body pics yet (a bit too shy for that) but I will post a head shot on my profile so people know who they are talking to.

Has anybody been able to get on the L&S site. It has been down since yesterday afternoon I thinks. Very odd and I seem to be going through mini withdrawl here . I hope it is back up later today as I cannot wait to hear the results of Pam B.'s and Mya's competition this evening.

Michelle.
Old 08-04-2001, 10:49 AM   #25  

Hello everyone. Sounds like you all are continuing to do well. I am still hanging in there closing in on the end of my second week. The workout part of the BFL plan is working out great and I am not having any problems with that. The food side, I struggle more with. I have not succumbed to temptation, though there were a few again this week (going away cake for a co-worker, candy from the boss, lunch out with friends). The struggle against temptation is hard for me right now, but I hope it will get easier as the weeks go by. The two things I keep hanging onto that help me say NO to things I shouldn't be eating are my free day and something that was said in the BFL book. If I feel tempted to eat something I shouldn't, I just say to myself, "It's not that you can't have it, you just have to wait til Sunday to have it." So far it has worked for me. The quote in the book that has really given me a lot of strength and perspective is when he talks about keeping promises to yourself. He said if we had a friend who broke their promises to us as much as we break them to ourselves we wouldn't consider them much of a friend. That really hit home with me. Now when I am feeling the temptations, I just remind myself that I promised myself I would give this my best shot for the next 12 weeks.

Hope you all have a good weekend!

Debbie
Old 08-04-2001, 04:08 PM   #26  

How do you make the myoplax pudding? Is the whole box of pudding plus a whole packet of myoplex that counts for one serving?
Thanks guys!
Jenn
Old 08-04-2001, 05:02 PM   #27  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Myoplex recipes

When I bought my first box of Myo Lite, there was a little recipe brochure that came with it - tossed it thinking that they were packed in EVERY box and haven't seen one since!

Don't worry, the recipes can be found at http://www.musclemedia.com/extra/recipes/shake.asp and the pudding is one of them:

POWER PUDDING

Mix one serving of vanilla Myoplex with approximately 2 ounces less liquid than directions call for. Add 3 tablespoons of fat-free, sugar-free instant pudding mix and five ice cubes. Blend at high speed for 60 seconds and serve.

I actually only tried this one time - not because I didn't like it but because I don't think to buy pudding mix when I'm at the store!!!

Debbie - that's exactly what I do when faced with temptation! "I can have it on Sunday" is usually all it takes to keep me from overindulging on other days...ahhh...only a few more hours until Free Day!!

I was so excited today - had my first REAL riding lesson. The place I was at before I got very few lessons and now I found out he was teaching all wrong! The new place I'm going to is terrific. And I love the riding clothes - got myself two pair of breeches and some cool paddock shoes and my own helmet too. Jim drove me there - he enjoyed meeting the horses and giving them Mrs. Pastures cookies while I took my lesson. This is really terrific for me because having the opportunity to take riding lessons has been a goal of mine since I was a teenager!

Michelle - I haven't had any problems getting on L&S. Just read that Pam B made Top 5 in her contest! She is just so inspriational...any of you gals who haven't heard about Pam B, I suggest you go to www.leanandstrong.com and check out her photos.

Shelley - don't worry - you're changing from the inside out as Hussman says. You might want to read that part of his site. I know I had to many times during my first challenge. C2 is really going much better for me than C1 - I can see my leg muscles gradually coming out of the fat - my thighs have always been really big and flabby - they are definitely showing signs of firming up! I'll have Jim take photos of me at the end of W4 to post on my site and L&S.

See ya guys later!
Old 08-05-2001, 08:59 AM   #28  

Last night we had a small family gathering for my parents 60th anniversary. I passed on the cake, and anything else I wasn't supposed to have!! I think I had a little too much smoked turkey breast and green beans, but other than that I was OP. Got on the scale this morning, and my weight was down 3 lbs. I think it was because I only got in 3 meals yesterday, 1 being a Myoplex that tasted horrible, because I only had a spoon to mix it with, and used only about 8 oz of water. It was like mud, but I drank it anyway. I'm thinking maybe I should cut back to 4 meals a day. I know I shouldn't but it seems everytime I miss a couple of meals, my weight is down. Mrs. J-What do you think??? Other than weight, today I measured and still haven't lost anything at the end of 7 weeks (other than the inch off my stomach.)

Jenn-Try the vanilla cream Myoplex lite with some FF/SF pistachio pudding. It's delish!!! I makes the drink very thick. I haven't tried refrigerating it to make a pudding, though.

Going out for a free day bike ride! Talk to ya later.
Old 08-05-2001, 12:33 PM   #29  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default from 6 meals to 4???

Shelley - I don't think that's a good idea. If I were you I'd post that on L&S and see what Tall Jen, Shannon, Steve L. etc say.

You may also want to read http://www.hussman.com/eas/#nutrition again - this is the section where he explains just WHY six small meals a day works more effectively.

One thing I do is to occasionally post my daily menus on TJ's Daily Menu Check thread on L&S. She always has some great tips and may be able to help you out of this rut.

And remember - if you're following BFL as written, you ARE changing from the inside out - Susanje didn't start seeing results until around Week 11. I hope you took before pix - I take photos every four weeks. Definitely a great way of seeing your REAL progress that the scale and measuring tape don't show you!
Closed Thread