What Are You Listening To?

You're on Page 2 of 4
Go to
  • Shennie - Earth, Wind & Fire - loved them!! I can remember when they would come on the Midnight Special on Friday nights! (Now that is old!!) Midnight Special was always fun to watch. Of course, I watched Saturday Night Live back in the days of the original "Not Ready for Prime Time Players".

Julie - Yes! I am trying hard not to buy some of the memoriabilia books that are at Barnes and Nobles right now on John. At our last church, the kids in the youth group bought me one of those purses that have the Beatles on them. I carry it to church! In 1993, my sister and I went to see Paul McCartney (her idol!) at the Astrodome in Houston and he started the concert with a montage of Beatle clips and songs. It was great. As for angst...my class song (graduated in 1981) was "Carry on My Wayward Son..." Every time I hear that song, I go back to being 17 again!

And, I do make myself listen to pop radio sometimes because I promised myself that I would not become my dad. When I was a teenager, he still thought that Andy Williams and Frank Sinatra were the only music to listen to. In fact, he took us to see Andy Williams one time (not bad, really, but who would admit it as a teenager?).

As for country music, that was DH thing. I adopted it for the two years we dated before we got married (loved George Strait!), but I never listen to country music now.

Andi
  • Garth Brooks, The Dance, is my angst song. It was sung at my cousins funeral. He was like a brother to me, and the first close death I had to deal with. I was 15, he was 17. A few years later, my DS's and I camped out overnight for GB concert tickets. When he sang that song, I cried my eyes out. I will never forget that.

Did I mention that I LOVE Bryan Adams, Summer of 69, Everything I Do, I Do It For You, many others.
  • I should have mentioned from childhood - ELVIS, Brenda Lee, Hank Williams, Rickey Nelson, Dion (loved him), the Temps, Supremes....
    Dylan, Neil Young, Carly Simon, Maryanne Faithfull, Credence Clearwater, Janis Joplin, Jimmy Hendrix......
  • Yes, Star - that's what I remember from the 60's . . .and how about some James Taylor?
  • Shennie - John Legend - YES!!! That album is amazing.
  • Julie - How could I forget James Taylor????? He was fantastic and so good looking back then - I had a huge crush on him.....I know I'm forgetting so many........
    Thanks....for the memories.......
    Dan Foglebird anyone?
  • Shennie - "around the way girl" -ll cool j
    I love that one too, you just have to move your body to it....
  • Shennie- The Jets were so cool. I won tickets to a concert of theirs on the radio and went with my sisters and mom when I was in the 5th grade.
  • Katie~ you would have been my instant best friend. I loved their videos and would tape them at DGM and watch them over and over. (that was back when cable and videos were luxuries and DGM was the only one who could afford it ) If our kids only knew about life before carton network and video games
  • Star - I'm raising my kids right because they can sing "Runaround Sue"

Shennie - John Lennon's Legend?? I have that one!

Katie - Yes, I have several songs that I cannot listen to because they have been played at funerals.

And, as Shennie mentioned, my kids have no idea what life is like without all their stuff. They are amazed that I grew up with only 5 channels - and my sister and I were the remote!

Andi
  • Okay - I have to mention this one "Leader of the Pack"
    "Duke of Earl"....lol
  • Okay - I have to mention this one "Leader of the Pack"
    "Duke of Earl"....lol
  • Andi -- I also had only 4-5 channels growing up - the fun part was convincing one of my younger sibs to BE the antenna -- do y'all remember rabbit ears??

(Star - love leader of the pack and duke of earl! And the Beach Boys!)
    Julie
  • We did a ton of 80's kareoke on NYE. Bryan Adams, among many others. It was so fun, and real walk down memory lane.
  • Julie, I have some rabbit ears in the basement, I still pull them out when the cable goes out from time to time.