General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2001, 12:09 PM   #16  

Good Morning All!
I had a great weekend! I am excited to be starting week 3. I told my sister in law and my neice about BFL, don't know if they will try it, but I just had to share it with them. I hope they will see some results when they see me next a the end of July.

Back to work I will stop by later when I have more time.
Susan- blastit
Old 06-25-2001, 07:10 PM   #17  
GARDENING ADDICT

Default WELCOME JULIE ! ! !

Hi Julie. Welcome to the thread and welcome back to BFL. I'm in week 6 and loving it. In answer to your concern about about getting enough protein~you should not have any problem getting enough if you incorporate cottage cheese, boca burgers, morning star crumbles, egg beaters and meal replacement shakes/bars. I love the Myoplex Lite shakes and Lo Carb bars. Try using the site at fitday.com . You can enter your food for the day and it will show you the percentage of protein and carbs. You might need to have alittle larger size portion of your protein at each meal, but it will help you to see where you stand on protein intake.
Today I did my 3.5 miles of elliptical wo and then did my UBWO. I know you're not supposed to double-up but I sat down on the couch last night (after working a 28 hr weekend) and accidentally fell asleep. After my wo I then mowed the lawn (1 acre with a push mower)

Susan~just saw your new pics and have to say that you are looking sexy!! You can even see it in your face (you are smiling ). And I love the Harley!!!

Ya'll keep up the great job (it's fun isn't it?)
~~~Sil (week 6)
Old 06-25-2001, 09:39 PM   #18  

Sil,

Thanks for the compliments. Before BFL I was terribly depressed (even worse before the 1st of the year) and I didn't realize it showed in my face as much as it did....the afters are more what I "usually" look like. Before BFL I would catch a glimpse of myself in windows and store mirrors and think I just looked so unhappy and was always so shocked to see it. The smiling me is more like it!!!

Julie,

Welcome to BFL. You might want to consider the protein drinks. I love the MRPs much more than any bars (I find that both Balance and Luna have too much sugar, not enough protein and the ones that have good amts of protein like EAS and Met Rx are horrid tasting). I think the MRPs are the way to go to get the protein in and then you can have cottage cheese, boca burgers (great suggestion by MrsJim!), and tofu at the other meals.

MrsJim,

My 8 yr old went horseback riding for the first time this past weekend at Tahoe and now she is bugging me for lessons! It's addictive I suppose! You're in the home stretch! Can't wait to see those after pix! You have been SO committed.

Ladies,

I am so sick of Free Week. I can't wait to get to the gym!

Susan
Old 06-25-2001, 10:22 PM   #19  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default La la la la la...

Another successful day on BFL!!! And I still have one more meal left...la la la...

Even though we're having a summer rain, I feel sunny inside! Does that sound corny or what??

Susan - I KNOW that being around the horses, along with BFL, is really an 'upper' for me! As the self-described depository of unrequested info, I went ahead and emailed you with a couple of 'horse places' in your area that give kids' lessons! Just in case you need the info...

I've been buying MRB's at Trader Joe's - they have a HUGE selection and terrific prices. I just pick through the ones with high protein (unfortunately they have the Myo Lite bars but not the Myo Lo Carb, but they do have Pure Protein, Met-Rx, etc.) I do love the taste of Luna Bars but they have a TON of sugar and a teeny tiny protein portion. The reason for this, of course, is that the Clif Bar/Luna company (along with PowerBar and others) are catering to a whole different market - the athlete who needs a quick shot of carbs (simple or complex) during a marathon, hike or whatever. Many of my husband's friends who are also mountain bikers practically live on Gu and Clif Shots - little foil packets of what appears to be Hershey's Chocolate Syrup with a big shot of caffeine. Unfortunately, most of the sales of these 'energy bars' are to people who are NOT being especially athletic - they just buy them 'cos they believe them to be healthy or 'diet food'. Hmm.

Me, I still gotta do the MRB's even though most of them taste less than fantastic (that I've tried so far anyway). I just use them for Meal #4 - when our cafeteria's closed. Also this weekend when I was working with the horses, I had one stashed in my purse that came in handy!

I am definitely NOT looking forward to Free Week - at least the aspect of having to stay away from the gym for a week. I actually enjoy it! But I am planning on going on some hellacious bike rides during the times that I'm not at the ranch!

Mr. Jim is thrilled with the results of BFL (not to mention our Sunday pigouts!). He's been almost eating BFL- style himself. Almost! Now if I can only get him into the gym, he'd look HOT!
Old 06-26-2001, 07:48 AM   #20  
GARDENING ADDICT

Susanje~
If you don't mind me asking, what type/brand of elliptical did you get and what did it cost?
Also, what level of resistance and ramp incline do you alternate with for the 20 min WO? Do you stay on the same incline but change the resistance each minute?
On my way to the gym for cardio
~~~Sil
Old 06-26-2001, 08:52 AM   #21  

Mrs. Jim-Thanks for the recipe. I tried it with just using root beer and chocolate Now, but it didn't taste right. I need to go get some vanilla to make it taste like a float, I guess. You are doing so great! I can't imagine what it will be like nearing the 12th week! I am in week 2, and haven't seen any results yet, but I feel great!

Do any of you workout at home??? I wish I could afford to go to a gym, but can't. I have an exercise room, which my husband built for me before kids--it has mirrors, ballet bars, the whole thing-but now it is full of kid's things! My weights, bike, incline bench and treadmill are all on 1 side of the room. I have 3 step up benches and a full set of free weights (only up to 20 lbs.) I also have 2 barbells. Even though I have all this stuff, I wish I could go to the gym and use the machines. I used to have a very big weight stack machine, but it took up half the room and I never used it, so I sold it. Now I feel deprived! I would love to be able to do a leg press. I don't use the workout on eas.com, since it requires going to the gym.

Julie- Welcome. You will enjoy it here!
Old 06-26-2001, 09:02 AM   #22  

Hey Mrs. Jim, I checked out your web page yesterday and when I checked out what you were eating for the day you had only consumed 800 calories. Why so little?
Saggy
Old 06-26-2001, 09:06 AM   #23  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Hey there Shelley!

Wow, do you wake up early or what?? Must be those kids!

I wish I could work out at home (tho I love going to the gym - a sure sign of a sick mind IMO ) but our place is quite small. Maybe if Jim didn't have his studio set up in our TV room...but he's gotta have a place to practice...

I do have a wind trainer to use with my road bike, but it's quite noisy although it DOES give you a killer workout. My heart rate goes up like crazy using it.

My fave machine at the gym is the Precor Elliptical. What I do is start it on a program where the incline begins at 10 and goes up to 20 (max) by the time I'm 1/2 way thru my workout. I hike up the resistance level every minute. So when I start the first two minutes, I begin at resistance level 5 and work my way up to resistance level 10 by the time I'm in minute 3. Then punch it up a level every minute. When I'm ready to go back down to a BFL "6" I punch it down two resistance levels, so for the second set I would start at resistance level 11 and go up to 14, third set at 12 and go up to 15. When I hit my '10' in Minute 19, I bring it as high as 18 or 19 (haven't gotten to 20 yet as I also check my HRM and my heart rate is in the mid-170's at that point). Previously in my Challenge I would stay on the machine for an extra 30 minutes but not today - I cooled down for 5 and then hit my abs HARD. I really want to get definition in my legs and don't want to reduce my muscle gains by overdoing the cardio.

I'm going to hit the shower before hubby wakes up - crossing my fingers that it won't rain like yesterday since I have a riding lesson after work today! Yee Haw!
Old 06-26-2001, 09:18 AM   #24  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Answer to Saggy

Good reason for that -

I don't always immediately enter what I eat as soon as I eat it on fitday.com - sometimes I have to wait for Jim to get off the PC, other times just too darn tired!!!

Yesterday though - are you referring to 25 June?? I just checked and I DID enter everything. I wonder if it shows up differently for you, because I have a lot of 'customized' stuff on mine (Myo Lite, MRB's, wheat pilaf etc.). Like I've posted before I generally eat the same thing every day. Oh, by the way, I don't post my Free Day eating (Sunday). My feeling is, if it's Free Day, I don't have to keep track!
Old 06-26-2001, 09:46 AM   #25  

Calories: I usually have 3 Myoplexs which are almost 800 !

I have a NordicTrak elliptical. It was expensive (close to $1000 as I recall) but I have done the cheapo versions and they made a lot of noise or didn't work right. I like the one I have A LOT. I do what mrsjim does and go up every minute.

I wish I could work out at home too!!! I would invest in more weights and a bench with the leg extension on the end. We don't seem to have the room or I can't seem to justify spending more money on the weight sets when I have a gym membership. I have some bowflex videos and have been meaning to check them out but again, I don't know where I'd put THAT. We could clean out a spot in the garage but it would be cramped. Those damn motorcycles!!!

My elliptical is in my library loft and I don't like it there (see my cardio pic on my page). I am thinking of moving it into the bedroom but that means moving everything around or just leaving it in the middle of the room.

I could move it to the family room I suppose but again, it would be in the middle of the room.

Sorry for thinking out loud!!!

C2 begins tomorrow!
Susan
Old 06-26-2001, 10:59 AM   #26  

Default Body for Life workout

I would like to preview the workouts for BFL before I buy the book. Is there a Website that I can check it out? Possibly the library has the book. I'm intrigued by the idea but not sold. I'd love to hear some opinions.
Old 06-26-2001, 11:35 AM   #27  
GARDENING ADDICT

Livein~~~Check out the websites that are listed in the first post on this thread. Bodyforlife.com and eas.com have exercises. Or go the bookstore and just look thru the book at the different exercises shown there. When I started BFL I was doing it at home with dumbbells and my exercise bike. I picked the exercises that could be done with dumbbells and made copies of each page from the book. I put the pages together according to lower body (LBWO) and upper body (UBWO) so I could learn them. But you will have more options being able to use the machines at a gym. Check out the YMCA in your area. Mine has a great selection of equipment and is much cheaper than a regular gym membership (and NO CONTRACT).

MrsJim~~~Do you know what stride rate/min you go at when you are on a resistance of 15-20? You have much stronger legs than I do~must come from your biking!!!! I have only put the incline to 11 and the resistance up to 9, with a stride rate of 130-145. Remember now, I'm just a beginner~so don't laugh! Since my lifestyle is not as active as yours (bike riding ,horseback riding, stall cleaning) I do extra cardio on aerobic and UBWO day (also on free day). Got in 6.5 miles today on the elliptical. LOVE THAT MACHINE.

Susanje~~~Thanks. That's about what I would expect to pay for a good quality machine. I have a Precor Turbo bike that i purchased 10 years ago for $600 at an exerise wholesale store and it's still in great shape. But I really love the elliptical because it's a cross bet the bike and a stairmaster. Somewhere under the EXERCISE thread, someone was asking about buying an elliptical and wanted advice/info.

Right now I'm enjoying a Cappuccino Myoplex Lite shake w/alittle ff/sf instant vanill pudding added~~YUMM

Shelly~~~Sounds like you are off to a great start~hang in there. You'll it!

Oh,yeah, I also have a public account on fitday.com I'm missing a weeks worth because my hard drive died June 11 (but the few weeks prior to that are there), but you are all welcome to check it out and give suggestions/comments. I also don't enter my free day~because it's free.
http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicj...l?owner=silbar

Everybody have a great day
~~~Sil

Last edited by 2BFIT1; 06-26-2001 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-26-2001, 11:36 AM   #28  
Uber-Moderator!!

Angry Hi livein!

I would really suggest reading the book - I first checked it out of the library too - but if you go to the www.bodyforlife.com site (or any of the other links that susanje posts at the beginning of these threads) you should be able to get some good info.

The book is a pretty easy read - starts out with a few motivating transformations - then goes right into the program. Bill Phillips is no Tolstoy, but I think he does an excellent job communicating what the BFL program is all about and I really enjoy his writing style!

On the bodyforlife site, you can also download the training and eating forms. For most of this Challenge, I've been tossing them after a few days (I write down the info on my next workout form) but I really wish I hadn't - just as I wish I had taken ALL my measurements prior to the Challenge (waist, hips, upper arms, thighs, bust etc) and didn't.

I would also strongly urge you to check out the Transformation Library at www.leanandstrong.com - these are just ordinary people (myself and Susanje included) who have shown DEFINITE RESULTS with BFL. Whenever I feel my motivation lagging (granted, it isn't often - must be those darn endorphins!) I just browse through those files...

Like Susanje said earlier - jump on in - the water's FINE!
Old 06-26-2001, 11:38 AM   #29  

Default Another question

I found Body for Life at my library and they are holding it for me. I think I am more interested in the workouts than the eating 6 meals. I have a hard time being that completely strict. Although the free day sounds wonderful. What are your thoughts on upping my protein and using the workout?
Old 06-26-2001, 11:39 AM   #30  

The workouts are weight training 3 days and cardio 3 days.

Weight training takes approx 50 minutes. Cardio 20 minutes

For weights you work Upper Body: back, chest, shoulders, triceps, biceps one day. 2 exercises per body part
Exercise 1 reps going up in weights: 12,10,8,6,12 (the 12 is a drop set meaning you go back to the weight you were using for your 8 rep set) Then 12 reps of exercise 2. You wait a minute between sets except for the last 2. The last 2 12s are called the "high point". You should be hitting what is called in BFL "10s". Meaning that after your high point, you can't lift one more time. Wait 2 minutes and go on to the next body part.

Lower body are quads, hamstrings, calves and abs. Same thing.
2 exercises per body part, progressing up in weight for 12, 10,8, 6, drop back to the 8 set weight and do 12 and then another 12 of a different exercise.

Check out the base note in this thread for links to exercises. You can use the exercises in Body for Life or use different ones.

Check out the other body for life links in the base note of this thread.

For "opinions" and results check out the Transformation Gallery on leanandstrong.com and our pages posted here.

-Susan
Closed Thread