General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2001, 09:25 PM   #16  

Default Done w/1st challenge - very bummed!

Hi there,
I just found this site, someone had mentioned
it over at leanandstrong.com. I just finished
my 1st challenge and I am sooooooooooo
frustrated. I followed the program to a "t"
for the first 10 weeks, but seeing no
improvement, no inches lost, just more defined
biceps...I started to spiral downwards. I
don't know what I did wrong... I have had
an eating disorder for many years and thought
that BFL was the answer to my problem.
I'm going to start a new challenge, I was
thinking of cutting my carbs at the last
two meals. I've also cut dairy and bread.
I added 20 minutes of moderate cardio to
my 20MAS. Nothing has helped. I'm so
frustrated...Ever since I started the pill,
I've gained 10lbs that I can't lose.. Do you
think the pill is the problem???
Sorry for rambling, I'm just kind of sad!!
Thanks for listening!
Old 06-06-2001, 08:25 AM   #17  
GARDENING ADDICT

Default Hi Amy:wave:

Welcome to our thread! I'm new to the BFL program. I'm just finishing week 3 of my first challenge. But I am sure that someone here can answer your questions. Another site to try is at www.iVillage.com . MzLiz moderates a BFL site over there and I have found lots of info there. I have it bookmarked so I can't remember the exact place to find the board but check the last thread here called "Body for Life#4". She has a post under there where she lists the link. She also posts here so I'm sure that she will respond to you. She is in her 2nd challenge and you should see her pics~WOW!!
Have you tried using the site at fitday.com? It has been very helpful to me to be able to see the exact percentages of the carbs/prot/fat that I'm eating. This has helped me to be able to find foods that fit the BFL but have lower carbs. I'm trying to keep a balance between carb and prot, with alittle less on the carbs.

Well, today is my last day of week 3. I weighed myself today and I lost 2 pounds this week. My husband says he sees a change (but he loves me and he will say anything )
Tomorrow is free day (FD) but I won't go over board. I am craving veggie pizza and a greek salad, and I haven't had any microwaved popcorn (94%FF) in weeks. I know that I'm supposed to eat on the FD but I am afraid to ruin what I have accomplished so far. And I know that TOM is around the corner, so I can count on a 2-5# water weight gain then
I have been doing my aerobic and abs WO on the FD also. Any other suggestions, gals?
~~~Sil
137/123/120
Old 06-06-2001, 09:23 AM   #18  
Check out my homepage=>

Amy~~Don't give up yet! There could be a number of things that have gone wrong. Are you sure you've been maxing out on your workouts? BFL is all about intensity; if you aren't hitting those 10s, you won't get the full benefit of the training.

The most common mistakes people make are in the nutritional choices. It's VERY easy to miscalculate a "portion" size. For a typical female, a "portion" of protein is only 3-4 ounces! BFL or not, there's a basic unalterable rule in the universe - if you eat more calories than you burn off, you'll gain weight. Period. For most of us, the problem lies with how efficiently our bodies burn the calories, not how many calories we're eating.

One of the worst thing you can do is start to overbalance protein to carbs. That can throw your body into a state of ketosis (bad news). If you don't have sufficient carbs to "fuel the burn," your body will resort to raiding muscle tissue instead of fat because it's easier.

One thing I'd suggest is to skip the "starchy carb" portion and replace it with two healthy portions (about a cup per portion) of veggies and/or fruit. Starchy carbs are high-sugar foods like potatoes, legumes (like peas and dried beans), corn, and grains. Eliminate all refined, processed food products like breads, cereals, etc. See if that doesn't do the trick.

If you've had an eating disorder, it's quite possible that you've really damaged your body's normal functioning. Things like blood sugar, electrolytes, enzymes, and metabolic hormones like thyroid and insulin can be significantly impacted by sustained periods of unhealthy eating habits. Medications and birth control pills can add to the problem. I'd suggest having a complete physical that includes a body chemistry profile, especially thyroid.

That's the practical experience I can contribute. Now for the larger issue. Forgive me if I overstep your initial expectations, but you DID solicit input, and I'll honor that request truthfully.

You say "you've had" an eating disorder, leaving open the question as to whether you're still engaging in disordered eating. If that's still a problem for you, "doing a program" like BFL won't solve the problem like you'd hoped. In fact, you'd probably find BFL more frustrating than anything, because the goals of BFL have to do with wholistic fitness and overall wellbeing, not just losing weight. Although there's an emphasis on short-term goals for the sake of motivation, BFL is "Body for LIFE," not "Body in 12 Weeks."

BFL is not a magic cure. It can certainly help you regain control of your life and health - once that truly becomes your goal - but I'd strongly encourage you to go after the problem itself rather than just attempting to modify the symptoms with another "program." There are plenty of compassionate, competent practitioners who specialize in the treatment of eating disorders.

Good luck - I wish you the best of health!
Old 06-06-2001, 09:36 AM   #19  
Check out my homepage=>

Default P.S. for Everybody....

You can visit my website by clicking on the "homepage" link in the upper right of this posting page. I have a couple articles I've written on "Hypothyroidism and Weight Loss" and "Keys to Fitness Success," as well as the results from my first 2 BFL challenges.

Thanks for the plug, Sil!!!
Old 06-06-2001, 09:42 AM   #20  
Uber-Moderator!!

Talking Liz - Good points!

Liz is absolutely correct in saying that BFL isn't a 'magic' cure (none exists as far as weight loss - despite what all those ads for pills, shakes, etc. say, there is no 'easy' way to lose weight).

BFL is hard work - but if you follow it correctly, the rewards are rich - your appearance, health and attitude will all improve.

The first couple of weeks I wasn't seeing all that much progress, but I 'tweaked' my eating a bit - eliminated bread and flour products - and it really works! I was buying those La Tortilla Low-Carb whole wheat tortillas which are only 60 calories but I was munching on them constantly. I decided to stop buying them and only have bread products on my free day, and it seems to be working. Again, since I have a free day each week to look forward to, this makes it easier to stick to program.

Well, the Outlook Office Assistant really helped me yesterday! If if wasn't for the kitty's mew, I wouldn't have made it down to the cafeteria on time (they close at 10:00 a.m. and don't reopen until 11:15 a.m. for lunch). Yesterday I received a huge box with three 42-serving cases of Myoplex Lite, 90 servings of Betagen and my free fat-measuring calipers. Today I'm expecting ANOTHER box with a 42-serving case of Myoplex Lite and some bars. So I'm set for awhile...at a $1.16 a serving it's not like I'm going broke or anything.

Now all I have to do is get Jim to join me for Challenge #2. I'm hoping that once he sees my 12-week results, that will encourage him to do it as well! Only problem is that he HATES the gym. I'm a total gym rat - I go every morning and love it! BTW, I do a cardio workout and abs on my free day as well but I don't do the 20-minute HIIT workout - I just keep my heart rate between 60%-75% of my max for about 40 minutes - just a jog really.

Jim and I have our trip to Yosemite coming up at the end of my Week 12 so I'll be missing a couple of days at the end there, but I'll be starting the BFL Challenge again when we get back on Monday 16 July! Yee haw! See ya!
Old 06-06-2001, 01:13 PM   #21  

Good morning ladies,

I am done with cardio--hit my 10s today! took the shaggy dog to the groomer for a summer hair cut (he goes out looking like a dog and comes home looking like a large rat) and am now enjoying my a.m. myoplex. Aaaaaaaaaaahhhh.

I'm enjoying everyone's posts and the participation on this site. Everyone is doing so well!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll write more later. I have a busy day ahead of me.

Susan

http://home.att.net/~s_j_e/bflweek10.htm
Old 06-06-2001, 02:40 PM   #22  
Check out my homepage=>

Susan~~You GO, girl! WaHooo! Don't those 10s feel great?!

MrsJ~~Isn't it just the pits that there ISN'T a magic cure?! Of course, we'd ignore it anyway, so I guess it doesn't make much difference! I'm glad the Kitty worked for you! I've thought about setting mine to remind me to do my workouts! I've been doing them earlier and I'm finding that the time flies so quickly in the morning that I'm behind schedule before I know it!

Sil~~Congrats on the weight loss! That's pretty significant, seeing as how you're building muscle mass, which actually ADDS weight! Did you get bodyfat measurements done when you started?
Old 06-06-2001, 07:54 PM   #23  
GARDENING ADDICT

Liz, I have calipers at home so i did it myself, with my husbands help, and used 2 different methods according to the hussman site. I did the math and also plugged in the numbers to have the site automatically figure it out. It ranged from 18.8%-19.2% but I just don't think it's accurate. (thought it would be more ) I am 5' 2.5" and weighed 125 when I took the measurements. My weight problem areas are my hip-to-thigh area, my upper body is trim.
I really didn't want to get involved with numbers because I am already so hooked on what the scale says. I'll just go by how my clothes fit and what I see in the mirror I want to lose the fat in my thighs and tone my entire body. That's not too much to ask, is it?
Old 06-08-2001, 11:57 AM   #24  

Hi everyone,

I had killer LBWO yesterday and this morning could barely move on the elliptical. After 5 futile minutes I popped in a Tae Bo tape instead. I still had some leg pain but not as severe and I think I got a good cardio workout from the Tae Bo. Plus, I notice he does a lot of interval techniques (speed up/slow down).

I also bought my first size 14 shorts yesterday. I was an 18 when I started in January and a borderline 16/18 (tight 16/loose 18) when I started BFL the end of March. I've gotten into a few 14s (bathing suit, one or two jeans) but when I did the Bay to Breakers a month ago the shorts I bought for it were a 16. Yesterday I bought 3 pair, 3 different manufacturers and they all were a 14 so I guess that is my size now. Yeah!!!!!!!!!!! I also got on the scale for the first time this week and can't believe I've dropped 12 lbs of scale weight in 12 weeks. I was told that weight loss wouldn't happen easily because of the weight training. I was not expecting a loss yet alone such a big one. So it's 12 inches and 12 lbs in 11 weeks and my body fat has decreased 6%. Not too shabby. I'll TAKE IT.

how is everyone doing????????????
Susan
Old 06-08-2001, 01:17 PM   #25  
Uber-Moderator!!

Talking Just smiling away...

Susan and all - I'm doing GREAT!!! Have you tried taking glutamine, since I've started using it my soreness has not been so prevalant - actually I happen to enjoy the sore feeling the next day - reminds me of my purpose (around the many candy jars here at work).

Each workout seems to be better and better. Today is a gorgeous day around here - promises to last the weekend for a change...Jim and I already have some bike-rides planned - even though we'd also like to go back to the Jack Tone Ranch but we don't want to wear out our welcome.

After talking to my boss, I'm going to look into taking English riding lessons (along with Jim if we can get a package deal somewhere). I went to horse camp when I was a kid and learned Western but haven't ridden in 20 years. My boss has been taking lessons twice a week since the beginning of the year after she decided to book a horseback vacation for summer of 2002, and she is really enjoying it! I'd LOVE to start riding again, and it would be even more fun if Jim took lessons with me.

As far as body fat, well I have the calipers but haven't used them as yet - going to wait until Sunday (my measurement day before Free Day). I rely more on the way my clothes fit and the complements I've been receiving the past few weeks. I've only been measuring my hips and waist - waist has not changed much but I'm pretty small waisted anyway - lost about an inch from my hips (that's where the stubborn fat is - there and my thighs). According to the Hussman site the thigh area for women is the hardest place to lose bodyfat - he said there is no noticeable thigh fat loss until BF is down around 18%. I KNOW my legs are getting thinner though because my jeans are loosening up!

Today is Casual Friday (actually we're pretty casual here anyway) so I decided on a whim to wear my Caruska 'clouds' t-shirt that I was saving until after the Challenge. (I'm waiting til then to wear the white matching shorts). I do have to hold my tummy in while I'm walking but I feel so great! I'm really looking forward to the second week of July - end of Challenge #1 AND our trip to Yosemite - already have a bikini wax scheduled for that week!

Last edited by MrsJim; 06-08-2001 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-08-2001, 01:29 PM   #26  
GARDENING ADDICT

Default WAY TO GO GALS !!!

Susan and MrsJim~~~You are both doing so great on your programs. I just hope that I do as well.You both are a great help to my efforts. Thanks and keep up the great work(outs)
~~~Sil
Old 06-09-2001, 10:05 PM   #27  
Uber-Moderator!!

Talking END OF WEEK 7 TODAY - FREE DAY TOMORROW!!!

Week 7 is officially over for me today - five weeks to go! But it's not like I'm suffering or anything - far from it!

For the first time since they were developed, I took by "before" pictures (taken around April 23rd when I started the BFL challenge) and showed them to Jim and our neighbors. It is SO obvious, even after just 7 weeks, that my body composition has changed - next week Jim will take my 8-week progress photos and I plan to post all on Lean & Strong - then my 12-week photos as well when the time comes.

I'm amazed that I was (as of last Sunday) a scant 6 1/2 pounds from my goal weight! I should say, 'initial goal weight'. I am already making plans to begin the Challenge again after we return from our long Yosemite weekend at the end of week 12. We get back on Sunday night - I'll start with Week 1 the next day. What is really amazing to me is that not only do I feel terrific, but I'm not feeling deprived or hungry at all (except in the morning after my workout).

Last week, my order from Netrition came and with it a free set of bodyfat calipers. I carefully measured myself according to the instructions at www.hussman.com/eas and was pleasantly surprised to see that my bodyfat is apporoximately 22.9% - I thought I was around 29%. My goal of 18% bodyfat seems very approachable!

Free Day is so much of a help - anytime anything IS calling to me a bit (example - my neighbor's homemade guacamole and chips) I just say, wait until Sunday. It's fun going out and eating things that I haven't had in eons - like waffles or pancakes. Haven't had either really since I was a kid. I make an effort on Free Day NOT to hang around the house all day - we always do something fun outside the house, like go bike riding or drive out somewhere. And I ALWAYS do some cardio on Sunday - not HIIT but I keep my HR between 125-155, breaking a bit of a sweat and waking me up for the day! By the time Free Day is over, though, I'm stuffed and I wake up Monday with a new resolve and a positive attitude. You will not believe how much the Free Day helps me in staying with the clean/authorized foods!

To top it off I usually eat the same thing every other day anyway ('variety is the spice of overeating'). As long as it's balanced, there's nothing wrong with eating the same thing everyday. And I do eat different fruits and veggies all the time. The Free Day allows me to inject some variety into my week. Love it!

Today Jim and I went on a three-hour bike ride - we had a tailwind going out and a headwind coming back - made for a good workout!
Old 06-09-2001, 10:47 PM   #28  

Me too! Wait until Sunday!!!!!!!! I'm always so bored with food by Saturday--I love free day.

End of WEEK ELEVEN. Coming into the home stretch!!!!!!!!!!! I'm already thinking of how I am going to tweak my program for Challenge 2.

Today I did swiss ball exercises and got sick but I think it's a good workout so I want to continue getting used to it.

I raked the yard, I did UBWO and then I swam. What a nice pool at the gym.

I have so much damn energy on BFL and today my husband said he cannot believe how my mood and disposition is so even since I've been on BFL.

Hopefully I will calm down. Last night I couldn't sleep. It was past midnight and I'd been up since 6 am.

:-)
How are you doing Sil????????????? Ms Liz? Anyone else?
Old 06-09-2001, 11:37 PM   #29  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Having my last Myoplex of the day and surfin' the net...

Kinda sounds like Jeff Spicoli in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" when he has the pizza delivered in class - "Learning about Cuba, and havin' some food!" That's my favorite Sean Penn role!

Amazing how easy this plan has been for the most part - BFL really fits the bill for me because (like most of us I'm sure!) I really like eating a lot. Having six meals a day basically means I'm never more than two or three hours away from a meal. The hardest day is Saturday when I'm off schedule - but even that's not bad!

And I love the Myoplex Lite. I just had my Vanilla Creme Myoplex Lite mixed with a Diet Coke for a Coke Float flavor, in a blender with some ice (I get the store ice that comes in little cubes rather than the big cubes or tray cubes. Most of the time I make mine with just water and ice and a serving of Betagen - haven't tried the recipes yet - I have to remember to get a package of sugar free instant pudding mix so I can make the Myoplex pudding! Jim is in the habit of having a Myoplex in the morning but he likes his with milk. It fills him up in the morning - he really doesn't like to eat solid food until later in the a.m. - say 9:00 or so. Myoplex really helps relieve any need for something sweet and it's got a lot of really good stuff in it - no sugar and it comes out really thick which I love! I'd better love it - I've got 168 servings stored in my garage!!! At $1.13 a serving could not pass it up...

Now the BARS are another thing. I tried freezing one and it got really hard and next to impossible to bite into or break - next time I'll cut it in pieces and put it in a Baggie before freezing it, then I can just pop the bits in my mouth. The Myoplex Lite ones are high in carbs but they ARE handy to have for my 4 pm meal along with a lot of water. Next time I think I'll get the low-carb ones.

Tomorrow I weigh myself but I know I lost body fat even if the scale doesn't budge - my clothes fit quite a bit looser this week. I've been getting some of that 'jiggly fat' on my lower tummy which means the fat cells are getting empty - according to some of the L&S experts, this means terrific things are happening!

I was chatting with one of our neighbors (the one who made the guacamole - but she didn't try to force it on me or anything) and she noticed a muscle popping out of my arm! She pointed out the definition line on my arm - I think it was the tricep. I didn't really notice it myself until now! WOO!

Well, I'm going to take a nice long bath and read a book...take care all!
Old 06-10-2001, 07:58 AM   #30  
GARDENING ADDICT

Default Good Morning Ladies:wave:

Susan and MrsJim~~~You ladies are are incredible! You have given me so much motivation :just want you to know that.

Susan~~~Congratulations on making it to the home stretch. I'm cheering for you. Can't wait to see your pics. The last ones that you posted showed SO MUCH progress.

MrsJim~~~Today I'm trying the recipe you posted yesterday on L&S.Can't wait to see how it turns out. I'm looking forward o seeing your progress pics also. I have noticed that mixing the Myoplex shakes with FF milk seems to make it thicker than with water. Yesterday I mixed Vanilla Cream w/water and added alittle FF/SF Banana cream instant pudding (and ice).It made a thick,banana flavored shake without the extra carbs of adding 1/2 banana.
My husband brought home 2 boxes of Myoplex Lite Bars that he got at Galyans(sports store). If you bought more than 10,they only cost .99cents. But he got 24 bars for only $21.00
I also ordered 2 boxes of the Low-Carb Myoplex bars and they should arrive on Tues. I have had the Lemon Cheesecake before and they were not bad at all,especially for only 3 carbs! The bars are a life-saver when you are very busy or on the run. I'll keep some in my locker at work and in my purse.
I saw the posts regarding "jiggly fat" and it finally explained why I've noticed more "jiggle" since I lost the weight with WW and started BFL. Thank God there's an explaination for it because I couldn't understand why I jiggle more now than before .
We can't turn back now ladies or we will be stuck in Jiggle Land
Well, gotta go do my UBWO so that I can sit down to breakfast.
Have a great weekend and enjoy your free day.~~~Sil
Closed Thread