General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 05-04-2005, 06:04 PM   #1  

Unhappy Help! Which plan??

Hi, all! A little history: I have done South Beach briefly, Atkins briefly, and Weight Watchers for probably the past 3 months. I have lost about 11 pounds on WW but am sick of counting points and seem to have a hard time sticking to Core. I am currently at the lowest weight I've been able to get to in 8 years (before my first baby). I really want to lose another 10-15 pounds but don't know what to do! I just want to eat like a normal human being without having to analyze every speck I put in my mouth! Every time I get to this point this happens and I end up gaining 10 pounds instead of losing 10. I just want to throw in the towel!!
Any suggestions for a plan that works well for those stubborn last 10 pounds and that will somewhat resemble a reasonable way of eating? Has anyone ever tried LA Weightloss? Thanks for any advice!

God Bless, Britte
mommyof2boysaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 07:00 PM   #2  
it's always something

Congratulations on your weight loss so far!

If you don't like having to count points, carbs, or choose from an allowable food list, you might want to try something more lenient. You have probably learned by now what works for your body, through trial and error with other diet plans. All of the diets you mentioned are great for getting started and learning about healthier eating, or making conscious choices. Not everyone that continues to diet actually stays on those diets until goal. A lot of people DO, and are very happy with their choices. However, most people that reach their weight loss goals and keep it off long term, do so by not following a specific diet plan. The do their own thing, by cutting back portions, making wiser choices overall, and they almost always include exercise in their daily routines. Have you considered anything like this, or do you prefer something more structured?
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 08:30 PM   #3  

when i get with in 10 lbs of goal and like i am now. i just know what to eat from other things i have tryed in eating plans. so i take all i have done good on and make my own plan. like i am on atkins so i know what i can have and all. if i do add some carbs i allow for and eat smaller amts and the ones that are not as many carbs. but i can still have. so take your ww and ok now you know what the lower pt things are. so go for them. take the sb and atkins and know what you ate on those. just eat them and maybe portions and smaller amts. i am doing this now. i do not count carbs as i know what is in the ones i can have and keep in control. give it a try. i hope you find it helps. its alot like what was said in earlier one here. just do portions.. good luck. LaDean
LaDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 09:59 PM   #4  

Thank you for your replies!
I guess now it's just a matter of common sense and a little self control. Sounds so simple, huh? I swear, though, sometimes with all the weight loss opinions, plans, books, supplements, etc, etc, my head just spins!! Sometimes it's hard to stay focused on the goal. You are both right, though. Common sense and past experience will help guide me through these last pounds. Oh, and I am making an effort to get in more exercise.
Thanks for helping me see through my fog!

God Bless,
Britte
Old 05-05-2005, 08:43 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

What I am noticing from the first post, is that I don't think the problem is the "plan" itself...the problem here is that you are tired of "keeping track" of what you eat, no matter what plan you are on, correct? So really, I don't think it is a matter of which plan you should be on. You have been on three plans, choose whichever one you enjoy (food wise, convenience wise, etc.) the most. The problem is trying to find ways to make journaling a little less of a chore for you.

Now I would like to chime in for the "other" side. I have found that keeping a daily journal is of utmost importance to my weight loss, and maintaining the weight loss that I have achieved so far. I plan on keeping a journal for the rest of my life.
I find that it:

~keeps me accountable to myself by putting it into writing and out there in front of my face.

~When I journal, I don't let little licks, tastes, and nibbles add up to a lot of extra calories. If I am not keeping track, then it is easy for me to have a taste of cookie dough, a taste of what I am cooking, a bite of something my children have-all which can add up to 200-300 calories/4-5 extra WW points by the end of the day.

~Helps me visually see what I have eaten, and helps me make better choices the rest of the day based on what I think I need. I can see if I have not had any fruit, or dairy yet-and seeing that helps me to be sure to add it in before the day is over. I feel I eat more balanced this way.

~I can keep better control. If I eat a cookie-then I write it down with the points/calories. I am accountable.

I count calories (not too different than counting WW points-just a different method of keeping track) and I have done it for so long now, that it has become second nature to me. I just "do" it. You stated that you have done WW for about three months? When I was at the three month stage it was still a bit of a chore. It gets easier, trust me.

I have been counting calories for about 6 years now-I lost a great deal of weight, made it to my goal, and then maintained my weight loss by keeping my journal. (There was a pregnancy in that time frame-so I have went back up, and am now going back down again! )

After 6 years of doing it-unless it is something I don't eat very often I don't have to look a lot of things up. You begin to memorize a lot of the calories (or points) and it becomes SOOOO much easier. You really should just give it another few months-and you will find that common foods that you eat often-you will no longer have to look up.

Some people can cut back portions and not really pay attention and be just fine. I am not one of them. I have to journal and keep track of my diet-because I am an emotional overeater by nature-which is the root of my weight problem. I have just found that the journaling isn't at all the big ordeal that it used to be. I just keep a tiny little pocket notebook with me, and use a page for each day.

For 2005, just for fun-I have even started keeping track of my exercise this year-so I can see by New Years what I have accomplished. (So far I am at 24 hours of strength training, 88 miles walks, 27 hours of Middle Eastern dancing...and more. ) it is just something "fun" for me to keep track of along with my diet.

I am also a firm believer in the reward system. Try to make it fun. For every week that you stay within your points and journal them-give yourself a small reward-a new lipstick, scented shower gel, nail polish, pair of earrings, etc. for a fun reward. I often reward myself with a new workout video/dvd.

Good luck to you,
Aphil
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 09:39 AM   #6  

Smile

hey go to www.fitday.com and it does all the figuring for you. i do not do it daily anymore or journaling. but i do sometimes as it kinda shows me if i am going over and all. so good luck to you. LaDean

your so welcome. i love the boards there so helpful.
LaDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 04:11 PM   #7  

Thanks for the advice, everyone!
Unfortunately , I think you're probably right. Journaling will help me stay on track. Nobody ever said weight loss would be easy or fun, I guess!
One more question, WW related. Now that I am down below 150 lbs., I can have only 20 pts. per day (plus my weekly 35). It just seems like I have trouble staying full enough on 20 pts. When I end up hungry, I end up pigging out and blowing the whole day, week, etc. I know that I can fill up more on veggies and I try to do that, but does anyone have any other tips for staying satisfied on 20 pts per day?
Thanks again!!
Britte
Old 05-09-2005, 06:14 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Try not to use your points on junk calories like fat free cookies, white bread and rolls, low fat muffins-and other simple starches that digest quickly. Complex carbs like whole grain cereals, brown rice instead of white, lean meat, fruits and veggies take longer to digest and keep you satisfied longer.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote