3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General Diet Plans and Questions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions-10/)
-   -   Body for Life? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-diet-plans-questions/50419-body-life.html)

txchick 12-14-2004 11:13 AM

Body for Life?

Are there very many BFLers here? I was flipping through the book at B&N and it looked reasonable. Is it relatively easy to stick to? Can you easily eat out on it? Will I have to give up potatoes for the rest of my life?! What are some of the drawbacks? Just wanted to check it out before I invested in the book.

shhambo 12-14-2004 12:21 PM

Library

I don't know this book but what I do is if I can find the book at the Library. If I like it, then go buy it. Saves much money this way. ;)

Meg 12-14-2004 12:25 PM

Txchick - hop over to the Ladies Who Lift forum - lots of current and former BFLers there. ;)

aphil 12-14-2004 01:01 PM

Yes...there are many BFL'ers over in that forum...and if you'd like to stick around here as well...there is the "Eating For Life" group here on general diet plans...mostly BFL'ers but this thread focuses more on the eating aspect of it in the Eating For Life book. I recommend reading both books! :D

ledom 12-14-2004 04:26 PM

Yep - it's a great plan. You don't have to give up potatoes at all as they are allowed on BFL.

Mel 12-14-2004 09:01 PM

Quote:

Are there very many BFLers here? I was flipping through the book at B&N and it looked reasonable. Is it relatively easy to stick to? Can you easily eat out on it? Will I have to give up potatoes for the rest of my life?! What are some of the drawbacks? Just wanted to check it out before I invested in the book.

Hi Txchick :wave: I'm an ex-BFL'er, currently following a similar but modified eating and lifting plan. There are many of us posting on the Ladies Who Lift Forum (LWL). I did several BFL challenges before starting to change things around. If you are interested in an integrated nutrition and exercise (weights and cardio) program, BFL is a great place to start. The book gives you a lot of good, basic information on the hows and whys of nutrition coupled with vigorous exercise. Don't be scared the the exercise part- everything is done at YOUR level.

No, you don't have to give up potatoes. They are considered a healthy carb on this plan. You don't have to give up eating out- just learn to make wise choices. You do have to watch what you eat, and eat frequently: 6 small meals a day. I found this the easiest plan to stick to because I never got so hungry that I wanted to gnaw my way through everything in the kitchen.

The weekly thread on the LWL forum is very BFL friendly and most of us have either done BFL or are currently doing it :)

Mel

Jennifer 3FC 12-14-2004 11:47 PM

Hi Txchick, I second what Mel said! :) I'm on BFL - it is a very easy plan to stick with. I am on a 'loose BFL' though. Something keeps happening - surgery, injuries, equipment failure, etc that keeps knocking me out of weights, but I always get back to them. I do follow the eating plan and I do more cardio than what is called for.

I work long hours, and frequently eat at my desk at work, so I wind up eating pretty boring things, but overall there isn't much I can't eat. Learning to eat 6 small meals a day has done wonders for my problem with overeating. When I do go out to dinner or have a special event come up, I don't eat nearly as much as I used to, and I can tell such a difference in how I look at food now compared to the 'old me'.

Take a look at the LWL forum (the BFL is mixed in with various plans - they all are based on basically the same principles, and the knowledge you'll gain from the experienced lifters is invaluable!) , or in General Diet Plans at some old EFL/BFL threads, and see what you think. Feel free to ask any questions!

As for me, BFL or some other related weight lifting/weight loss program is what I will need to bring my weight the rest of the way down. I have a screwed up system, and the muscle mass and revived metabolism that I am gaining by weight training is the only thing that will take me the rest of the way to goal. I can't believe it took me this long to find it, and I'll be happy to answer any questions for you as well!

nurse2bmelanie 12-30-2004 02:03 AM

BFL is a great program. Its not a diet. Its definatly the only program out there that I consider a life style . You change your life for it. Its very rewarding. I could see a difference in my body after a couple weeks. The hardest part to get used to was the 6 meals. As most other people will agree, you use this program to get started, then you can tweak it a bit to what works best for you. My tips--dont eat anything with hydralyzed protien as an ingredient. This is the sutff that isn't even high enough quality to be used in HOT DOGS. Plus it leaves a meaty taste in your mouth. Dont buy generic protien powder. It sucks. Trust me.

Good luck! I did it a loved the energy I had. Just remember though, stay off that scale, muscle weighs more than fat.

aphil 12-31-2004 11:55 AM

Could I ask why you didn't stick with BFL? (I am assuming you are not on it-as you used past tense in a few statements.

skittle 12-31-2004 09:55 PM

What Is Bfl I Am New To This Site

Skitle

4myloves 12-31-2004 11:03 PM

Body for Life. It's a program that was designed by Bill Phillips.

There is a stick which describes it (in general) on the Ladies who Lift forum. I don't know how to set up links or I'd send you to it--I'm sure Jennife or Mel'd be happy to do it :)

Jennifer 3FC 01-02-2005 05:29 PM

Here's a good BFL explanation thread from LWL.

Fitchick 01-03-2005 12:35 AM

Body for Life is a great lifelong program. It truly is a lifestyle. I followed the program for the first time a few years ago when all the hype began. I did lose weight and I felt better than ever. Unfortunately, I was involved in an automobile accident and I stopped around the 8th week.

I tried to start over several times with not much luck - mostly because I got bored with the food. To my delight, Bill Phillips has developed Eating for Life! I got the book for Christmas and I'll be starting tomorrow. The book has 150 "approved" recipes inside so you won't get bored!!

I highly recommend both books. I have done a LOT of reading on health and fitness and this is one of the best I've seen.

Good luck and happy new year!
Jocelyn :)