my new diet plan

• Hi my name is theresa. I am new to this sight. Ok i have tried alot of diet plans. I tried the slim fast didn't really help. I tried weight watchers too hard to do. I was trying low carb could not do it (i salute anyone who can stay on that diet) I was even going to try the atkins diet but my friend said she gained more weight then she lost. But that was her some people may loose weight on it. So I decided that I should see if I can start my own diet. Its jogging in the morning walking at night. Cut down on sugars and carbs (I can't just go cold turkey) cut down on white bread and rice (my nutrionist told me to do that) take vitamins no eating after 10. And going to the gym once a week (thats all i can afford) so tell me if you think it is a good idea.

Theresa
  • Hi,
    I am a firm believer that to lose weight you must burn more calories than you take in. Period. It doesn't matter if you are eating all protein, all fat, all carbs...if you are still eating 5,000 calories a day while on Atkins or low carb-then you are not going to lose. A lot of no fat/no carb/no whatever dieters cut out all of one thing...but still eat too much of what they are allowed. It doesn't work. No matter what plan you follow-calories still count.
    If you need guidelines on how many calories to eat per day-feel free to pm me and I can help. It will vary depending on your age, current weight, activity level, and so on.
    Now I DO believe in making more healthful eating choices-simply because you should feed your body the nutrients that it needs and not junk. I eat mainly lean meat like skinless chicken breast, fish, vegetables, fresh fruits, and a small amount of complex carbs-like whole wheat breads, brown rice, and such over processed carbs-meaning no kiddie cereals, white breads or rolls, or Minute Rice or things like that. I do have a treat now and then-but I stay under my calorie levels, and make it a SMALL treat with low calories-like a Tootsie Pop or 2 Hershey Kisses. (Both are 50 calories or under...and I use the rest of my day's calories on more healthful choices.)
    As far as exercise-either the running or the walking is fine once a day-but I would suggest rather than doing BOTH on a given day...that you do one or the other per day...for a longer or more intense session. There is really no need to do 2 cardio workouts each day. I would suggest that you add in a strength training type of exercise 3 days a week-with a "rest" day from strength training in between to allow for muscle recovery. (Cardio workouts can be done each day, however.)
    Cardio workouts like walking/running/aerobics/biking burn a lot of calories, help you lose body fat, and provide cardiovascular(heart) health. Strength training strengthens and develops your muscles-giving you defined legs and arms, flat abdominals, a strong back. They are both equally important-but they do different things for the body. If you have never strength trained-a good place to start is a video called "Getting In Shape With Weights For Dummies." It can be purchased at Meijer, and at websites that sell exercise videos. It is nice because it explains things to the novice strength trainer-what muscles are being worked with each exercise, how proper form is used, and things more advanced videos or the machines at the gym don't tell you that you should know.
    If you need any help, or have any questions-please let me know. I'll be glad to help!
    Aphil
  • i agree with aphil. i used to be able to do that.. its a great plan you got there. we are soo alike!! i used to run in the morning. then i would get those sexy legs. haha but i lost it... i think im in depression or something. i donno if i have it or not but i think i do. ohh well. good luck on yur diet!
  • Hi, each one of us are different. so i take plans and make them around me. so i think what your doing is great. go for it. you can do it. portions is the main thing really and exercise. sounds like your exercise is good. so i wish you luck. come to the boards as often as you can. alot of friends and help here. and also sharing your doing helps us to. LaDean68