General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 06:34 PM   #61  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Hi Daisy, welcome and I will take a stab at your questions.

1. If you want to be fit, this is a great program. If you want to lose the weight very quickly, it probably isn't. I have lost about 40 lbs. in the last two years, I am not the most consistent dieter and if I had followed it to a T I would probably have lost twice that. I do consider those lbs. gone forever. BFLCat who posts here some has lost about 60 lbs. in the last year so how well you stick w/ the plan certainly determnines how well you do.

2. I especially relate to this question. Honestly, sticking to BFL "by the book" is highly recommended for at least the first challenge. You need the strength training to build muscle and the cardio to burn fat. Yoga doesn't really apply to either of those purposes though IMO it transcends and strengthens both. I have lately used yoga tape as a substitute for the ab and shoulder work but I may be a bit cavalier to do that. Try to do your yoga because you love it and for flexibility but don't count on it as a substitute it should be something extra.

3. Accountability. That is a big one! I use 3fc for that to a large extent. I often come here to vent or to brag. Ultimately I try to find it from within which is, after all, the only thing you can truly rely on. I have sometimes gotten into trouble by taking too much to heart things I read here. There are some other tools that are helpful to me. Using fitday.com to record my diet for nutriritional quality and caloric count of what I eat, and reading about other's diet experiences on both this thread and other places on the web.

4. Watch out for rotisserie chicken as it is cooked w/ the fat on. I guess it depends on your local resources. I do believe there are outlets (though not in my town) where you could find clean protein. Food need not be extravagant. I eat a lot of scrambled egg whites, oatmeal, and a protein pancake w/ egg and cottage cheese. Cottage cheese is a great easy lowfat protein source. I probably am not the best to answer this question as I cook 99% of the food I eat on BFL. The EFL recipes are simple and quick. I also do most of my cooking one day a week so that the rest of the week I am just warming my entrees up.

5. There are different opinions on this. Personally I go by skwigg's philosophy http://www.skwigg.com/wow/id49.html ,and by the way, this page http://www.skwigg.com/wow/id3.html could be helpful to you regarding question 4. I do limit myself to one bar a day.

Daisy, I hope this helps. This is the only diet I have ever been on that I could see myself living w/ for the rest of my life. You have to be willing to exercise 6 days a week. Eating 6 small meals a day is not a problem.

Last edited by ledom; 07-17-2004 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:47 AM   #62  

Ledom: your reply was *so* helpful. Thank you for taking the time to explain things to me.
Old 07-18-2004, 01:32 PM   #63  
WW Moderator

Daisy, I feel mainly the same as Ledom, but a couple of things I would like to add - The weight loss can vary WIDELY. I've seen people lose 30 pounds in once challenge, and others lose 5 pounds. One thing that is consistent is that you will lose inches if you really do follow the program.

Eating some convenience food is easy! I make a large batch of oatmeal and spoon it out and heat in the microwave for the next few days. Cottage cheese, cheesesticks, yogurt, it's all really easy. I eat meat 1x or 2x a day, and then the fruits and veggies. Sauteeing veggies is easy, and so are salads. Tuna salad and chicken salad are good protein choices. Have you seen the EFL book? They have a LOT of easy recipes. Frozen dinners are generally hard to find balanced, but some of the stir fry bags ( I think the Voila line, but I'm not sure) are perfectly balanced. Read the labels. You can cook a bag (which consists of pour in a pan and push it around for 5 minutes) and have 3 meals out of it (for the brand that I buy).

Bars - Have you tried the Myoplex LITE bars? There are regular Myoplex bars also. The Lite bars are like rice krispy treats. I only eat one a day to keep from overdoing it, and I usually only eat them at work or when I'm out. Some of the Zone and Balance bars are ok - just read the labels. You need balanced protein and carbs, and not too high in calories. Read the labels to see that your carbs are coming from something other than sugar and that they aren't high in fat or sat fat.

I am also insulin resistant. You can eat sweet potatoes and brown rice and whole wheat tortillas for your carbs. I have a very tough time losing weight due to IR and PCOS, but sticking with it and toughing it out is the only way I will make my goal.
The exercise portion of this plan will be very beneficial to you. Give it a try and post to 3FC and we'll help keep you accountable. If you want a local face to face support group, try TOPS. You can go to the meetings no matter what plan you are on.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:07 PM   #64  

Hi everybody! I'm new to this thread but I just completed my first week of BFL and I am extremely pleased with it. The first week I have lost 5 pounds, which I know is mostly water weight and the loss will slow down, but it's nice to have progress! I have tried BFL before and stopped after the first couple of weeks due to some flu virus that my husband and I passed back and forth to each other, then you know how it goes...never quite got back into the groove. This time around I am not necessarily following it exactly. For example I have cut down on the carbs in the first 2 meals. I get enough carbs from the Myoplex shakes and dinner. I am also eating 5 meals right now. I figure if I get really hungry I can always add one meal on, but right now 5 meals is sufficient. I have also added to the cardio. I was already doing 45 minutes on the treadmill on a consistent basis so I am now doing 60, it's really the same I have just added in a warm up and cool down. I am also doing the intensity intervals, trying to hit those 9's and 10's My goal for the first challenge is to lose 25 pounds. Since I've never completed a challenge before I don't know if that's doable, but I'm just setting the goal to give some incentive. At this point it's slightly over 2 pounds per week so I'm confident I can accomplish that if I stick to it. I'm looking forward to talking and learning from everyone!
Old 07-18-2004, 11:39 PM   #65  
WW Moderator

Hi Jacklyn, welcome to the thread. I do know somebody that lost 25 pounds on her first challenge, but I don't know if that is the norm. I'm not officially on BFL right now. I had abdominal surgery 8 weeks into C1 and I'm still not released yet, 6 weeks later.
I'm eating right and doing light cardio until I'm released. I guess I'll just start over with C1. Can't really 'continue' after all this time. I lost 4 pounds on the first 8 weeks. It isn't much, but I had been on a 4 month plateau before that, so it was a big loss when I look at it that way. I have metabolic issues though, so I'm not the best example! You didn't mention weight training in your post. Are you following the weight plan from BFL?
Old 07-19-2004, 09:24 AM   #66  
Chick

Good Morning, I hope everyone is looking forward to a good week of BFLing. I got my week started off right w/ a hike and a clean day yesterday. I'm working Chest/Tris today and added a 1 mile walk in my hilly neighborhood this a.m.

1. 1/2 c oatmeal, 1/2 c cottage cheese, 1 scoop protein powder, 2 oz. blueberries
2. protein shake'
3. mexican casserole (I am loving this stuff), sliced tomato
4. 4 oz. turkey, 2 c watermelon
5. protein pancake
6. EFL strawberry cheesecake

Welcome Jacklyn, good luck w/ your goals. I am not doing a challenge right now. More a 4 week sprint before going on a short trip and then starting back to work. I am calling it my fat burning sprint and I'd like to lose 6 lbs.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:27 PM   #67  

Hi everyone, I'm 'transitioning' to EFL (and adding BFL later) at the moment. Just got the EFL book from the library and it does seem a lot more open-ended than the eating plan in the BFL book. My particular challenges are going to be adapting to the 6 minimeals, as well as being a vegetarian. I think it's doable, though.

1. ww bagel w/ LC light, 3 veggie bfast links
2. lf yogurt and cheese stick
3. spaghetti w/ tomato lentil sauce, yogurt
4. cheese stick, apple
5 & 6, dunno yet

Plus a 30 minute training run this afternoon.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:29 PM   #68  
Britt/LAWL~Red

Ok i was going to say morning all but guess what???? its after NOON already!!! Where is this day going lol.

Anyway im glad to see that everyone is doing well.

DonnaD ~
Yes i will be starting hopefully July 27th with BFL and EFL. Im very excited to get started and there are some great looking things in the EFL book that i cant wait to try. Even though im gonna be starting about a Month before you thats ok its close enough lol we can still do the challenge together!!

Jacklyn ~
*waves* nice to see you pop in over here on this thread and congrats on your 5lbs!!! Keep up the good work.

ledom & Jennifer ~
Thank YOU!!! thanks to both of you, you provide us newbies with such good information about the program its great to have some on here that know there way around the program and can answer questions at the drop of a hat lol and we seem to have lots of questions!!!!

Daisy ~
I had actually done a modified version of Atkins and the Curves diet before had a lot of success with the curves diet but not much with Atkins. When i started reading about this program (which i will not call a diet cause well its not, how many diets do you know where you get a free day !!!!) i was trying to read as much info a possible and well while all of the information here and other places are great the books are even better! It is an investment in my future thats how i look at it. I hope you decide to get the books and join us!!!

I will pop back in a little bit later today i think and hey if anyone has MSN messenger or aim and would like to add me be my guest i love to chat

OH and Ledom do you have the recipe for that mexican casserole you listed in your meal plan?? I love mexican !! In fact i was gonna have a salad for lunch today but i might have mexican instead lol.

Have a great day all!!
Brittnye
Old 07-19-2004, 01:41 PM   #69  
Chick

I just happen to have it on my desktop Brittnye.

~~Mexican Casserole~~
[this is "cappuccinocarrie's" recipe]
Makes 8 servings
6 whole wheat tortilas
1 lb. lean ground beef [or you can use turkey]
1 taco seasoning packet
3/4 c. water
8 oz. low fat cottage cheese
8 oz. fat free cream cheese
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped red bell pepper
1/2 c. fat free cheddar cheese
salsa
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray the bottom of a casserole dish with cooking spray. In a non-stick skillet brown the beef rinse and drain. Add taco seasoning and water, simmer until most of liquid is absorbed and set aside. With a mixer, cream together cream cheese, cottage cheese, onions, and red pepper, set aside. Tear 2 of the tortilas into pieces and put in the bottom of the casserole dish. Layer the taco meat over the tortila pieces. Tear another 2 tortilas into pieces also and cover the meat with them. Spread the cottage cheese mixture over the tortila layer. Tear the remaining 2 tortilas and place on top of the cottage cheese layer. Spray the top of the last tortila layer with cooking spray and bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle cheddar cheese over the top and bake an additional 10 minutes. Serve with salsa. Makes 8 servings. Nutritional stats per serving are;
Calories:274
Protein:24g.
Carbs:25g.
Fats:8g.
Joann

I LOVE this. I made it again on Sunday for another week of lunches, DD took part back to school w/ her. That says volumes on how good it is.

If you haven't noticed - I am a MAJOR skwigg fan http://www.skwigg.com/. I like her attitude. Anyway Laura here is her menu for bfl vegetarians. http://www.skwigg.com/id58.html

Welcome to efl/bfl!!!!!

Last edited by ledom; 07-22-2004 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:38 AM   #70  

Hey everyone! Thanks for the welcomes! Hey Brittnye! Since I'm doing the BFL I'm branching out to learn abit from the other threads That mexican casserole looks really good! I absolutely love mexican food, so I may have to try it.

Hi Jennifer! I am following the weight lifting program from BFL pretty much by the book. I try to alternate the exercises so my muscles don't get used to the same ol' thing. Yesterday I did the lower body workout and did the standing calve raises. Can you say OUCH?!?! I got up this morning and could barely walk! Its gotten better though as the day goes on and it's only 9:30 am here. Abdominal surgery sounds pretty painful, I hope your recovery is going well. Its funny how you never realize how often you use the stomach muscles until they are sore!

Okay progress report: As of yesterday I am officially down 6 pounds. I had my "free meal" yesterday so I didn't bother weighing this morning. I'll probably do my next weigh in on Sunday. That'll be when my next free day is. Another good thing is that even though my husband isn't currently doing the BFL, he dropped 2 pounds this week as well! Just from eating the low fat dinners that I was cooking. I am really hoping that when he is able to start seeing my progress he will want to join in. We'll see! Everybody have a good one!
Old 07-20-2004, 05:34 PM   #71  

Ledom - thanks for the link. Her site is very helpful.

Speaking of recipes, can anyone provide a link to the "protein pancake" that several folks have mentioned? I thought I had it somewhere, but apparently I am losing my mind....
Old 07-20-2004, 06:56 PM   #72  
Chick

Laura, here are several variations I have collected. There is one thing I do differently in the preparation. I just put all my ingredients in a bowl and stir vigorously w/ a spoon rather than blend. They are more textured and not as runny (also don't have to wash the blender). I have a medium non-stick skillet and 1 recipe just fills the bottom. I use a rubber spatula to loosen the edges and then flip w/ an egg turner spatula. Also, don't forget to spray skillet w/ Pam and don't rush the first side. The second side cooks fairly quickly.

The chocolate pancake is my standby, I put a few walnuts and blueberries in the batter. I serve w/ a T of natural peanut butter and sugar free syrup on top. This is my most high cal. meal each day and also my favorite. It is one I never get tired of. You don't have to add the bells and whistles though, it's good plain too. These days I am using sweet 'n low, at first I used splenda but have developed a sensitive stomach to the splenda.

Jacklyn - don't you just love it when you are revved and focused?!? I am feeling the same way these days and am loving it. I am a measley 1/4 lb. from the goal that sends me to the mall for the new pair of jeans I have been promising myself.

Protein Pancakes - Basic

1/3 cup cottage cheese
3 egg whites
1/3 cup oatmeal
a little vanilla
a little cinnamon

Blend together and pour into hot non-stick pan sprayed with Pam. You can make one big pancake or several smaller pancakes. I have also found that if you let the batter sit for a few minutes (like while the pan is heating up), the pancakes don't run together.

Sometimes I will microwave a few little blueberries and then pour on top. I use a little sugar-free maple syrup too.

Mel's Chocolate Pancake - (look for Ghiradelli cocoa powder for a RICH chocolate taste)
4 egg whites
1/2 c. cottage cheese
1/3 c. oatmeal(dry)
1 tbs. cocoa (unsweetened)
dash vanilla
2 packs sweetener

I add a few walnuts and blueberries to this.

Shannycakes

4 Egg Whites
1/4C Cottage Cheese
1/2C dry measure Oatmeal
Cinnamon - 1tsp or more to taste
Splenda - 4 packets or to taste
(optional) 1 cap of Vanilla Extract

Place all ingredients into a blender for 20-30 seconds. This makes a very thin watery batter. Preheat a non-stick pan on low to medium low. Spray with cooking spray and pour in the batter. I make 1 large pancake but you can make several smaller ones. The pancake is ready to flip when small bubbles appear on the top of the batter.

** Gentlemen would need to add another 4 or so eggs and another 1/2C or so of oatmeal (or fruit) to this recipe.

** Add 1/2 a banana (or other fruit) in the batter for a change of pace and a boost in carb count for this meal.

** Try adding canned pumpkin and some additional pumpkin pie spice for another variation of this meal

** I cook up 4-5 pancakes in advance for a tasty and very convenient on-the-go meal! As soon as the pancake has finished cooking, flip onto a sheet of plastic wrap. Roll the pancake like a fruit roll up or a burrito, cover in plastic wrap and store in the fridge. This will keep your ShannyCakes soft and moist.

In the same spirit of the pancake here is a muffin recipe - I use 4 mini loaf pans instead of muffin tins.

Choc. Muffins

Ingredients

12 egg whites
1 1/4 c. uncooked quick cooking oats
9 T Low sugar red raspberry jam
Dash of vanilla extract
1 1/2 T cocoa powder 4 T Nestle no sugar added chocolate milk mix powder
Splenda to taste

Procedure

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Blend ingredients in a blender and pour into muffin tins that have been sprayed with Pam.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:26 PM   #73  
Chick

OMG, I am in repairman he!!!!!!. The repair person for the treadmill is going on 48 hrs. of not returning my call (keep getting the answering machine.) And to top that off I am getting new counter tops today. When they took my stove out, they broke the glass on the oven door! They don't know if it can be replaced! I guess I may get a new stove out of it, but in the meantime I don't have a stove! Both appliances are CRITICAL to my daily routine!

I did a little cooking last night in anticipation of being out of commision w/ the stove today.

I'll keep you posted. Meantime, deep breaths!
Old 07-21-2004, 02:57 PM   #74  

Ledom - thanks for the recipes; they look great. I hope you are having better luck with getting your appliance mess cleared up!

I'm still not 'eating clean' but at least I feel like my mental image of what's healthy is starting to change. Plus - lf cheese sticks are my new favorite thing!
Old 07-21-2004, 10:10 PM   #75  
Lovin' Zumba!

Woo-hoo - I *finally* had a clean eats day! It's about time!

After last week's false start, I decided to postpone a week and start a new challenge today. Got back from Niagara Falls yesterday - had a great time, but eating was not clean at all. Not a lot of food, but just not good choices. Lots of walking though - the park on the US side is beautiful!

No workout today - my legs were still sore from the weekend, so wil jump back into my regular workout schedule. I do need to come up with some new exercises to shake up my body a bit.

Well, time to get caught up on all your posts - I'll check in later...
Cindy
Closed Thread