General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 05:16 AM   #46  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Donna, I forgot to repsond to your question about shakes. http://www.vitaglo.com/ is the cheapest source for the EAS shakes. They are not at all neccesary for the diet. Some people make them a big part of the plan, others don't. I really don't. You can also make your own w/ cottage cheese, fruit, protein powder, there are lots of way to go w/ the shakes.

My menu yesterday was very similar to the day before.

My treadmill is slipping!!!! I hate that! Repairman is scheduled to come fix it in a "few days". Today is cardio and I am going to kayak for cardio.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:35 AM   #47  
WW Moderator

I use the regular EAS protein powder ( I think it is called Complete or something similar) and when I bought my last container it was about $20 for a 5 pound jug at Vitaglo. I also use Designer Whey protein. If you add fruit or yogurt you will balance the carbs and it is a lot cheaper. I think the Myoplex Lite is foamy and I don't like it. If you are going to do the official challenge where you register with them and compete for money, you will be required to do the Myo Lite. Otherwise, you can incorporate your own, if you choose to do shakes at all.

I had a good day yesterday. I didn't feel so good though and didn't eat much through the day (2.5 mini meals) so at dinner time I ate a steak quesadilla the size of two minis. Probably not the lowest in fat grams, but it looked to be the most balanced.

Appetite is better this mornng. Here's the plan:

M1 cottage cheese and oatmeal
M2 apple and cheesesticks
M3 turkey and raspberry mustard ww sandwich
M4 Myo Bar
M5 chicken stir fry
M6 undecided. maybe a shake.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:08 AM   #48  
WW Moderator

Oh postd too soon -

Cindy, good luck on C6! I hope I'll be saying that in about 60 weeks!

Donna - yes, the lowfat Mozzarella ones. They are about 6g of fat, but most carbs I think of eating with it are fat free, so it evens out I guess.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:45 PM   #49  

Thanks for the info on the shakes. I will ask one of my sons about the protein
powders. I know they all used to use them.

I've done the 20 min of cardio a couple of times now. Starting at level 5 then 6 and so on. It is really a workout. I am so out of breath and sweating like a when I'm done. But honestly, the is much more tolerable 20 mins at a time. (even if it is a killer 20 mins) I have been eating 3 smaller meals during the day but then too much at night. This is going to take some practice.

Well, hope everyone has a good "hump" day. Take that any way you want
Old 07-15-2004, 09:25 AM   #50  
Chick

Good Morning, Jennifer, how is it being back at work? I hope it is going well for you.

Donna, when you get ready to commit to a full out challenge you will be surprised at how much you like it. I won't say it is easy, but it is difintely doable and it makes you feel so much better.

I have had an excellent week. I just really needed to get serious and work the program a bit more seriously. It is really paying off. I saw a new low on the scale this a.m. and believe that if I keep it up I will meet my summer vacation goal.

I have been logging in fitday this week and trying to keep my calories at or around 1500.

I do plan on a free day Saturday. I have my menu planned too. Yesterday I spent all day cooking for a sick friend. I made a homemade foccacia, it looked so good that I must have it too. But just on free day.

Not much new, I miss my treadmill. I got outside and walked early this morning and it was so humid. Exercising indoors in more convenient in the summer than the winter in the warm climate here. Also, there is a new kitten in my household. Rosie, who is keeping us entertained being her cute kitten self.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:11 AM   #51  

Good morning ladies! Not sure if youíll remember me or not but I popped in back in May inquiring about the Body for Life program. I REALLY appreciated all the generous input I received from ledom and Jennifer but I never pursued.

Well, Iím desperate again! I have been on South Beach since last September and not having the kind of success that others are reporting so Iím thinking itís time to make a change.

I have been lurking and searching on this board the last couple of days and monitoring this thread. I ďthinkĒ Iím going to give this a shot and need to invest in the book. Before I do so though, I read somewhere on here (canít find it now) about a similar program called ďBurn the Fat.Ē I hope I have that right. Any opinions or personal experience between the two programs?
Old 07-16-2004, 11:18 AM   #52  
Chick

pbaus there is an ebook called Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle. If I remember correctly it is not so much a "diet" as a book explaining how the body works and loses fat while gaining muscle. It is much the same principle as BFL only more detailed. I have read most of it and recommend it. http://www.burnthefat.com/ is the website explaining it all.

In comparing, I think if you have a lot of time, are into number crunching, etc. BFFM would be good for you. I personally find the BFL is a good starting place, it is easier, you might be taking more of what Bill Phillips say on faith than clear understanding of how everything works. But IMO that is not a misguided faith. I don't think I was ready for BFFM until I had experienced BFL.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:47 AM   #53  
Britt/LAWL~Red

hey all!! Well i dont think i have posted on this tread before but i have been talking with others on another tread about BFL/EFL and well i picked up the books last night. At first glance im excited about this and think that i can do it. I plan on finishing the books before I start of course and also gonna wait till i get back from Miami i leave next week and dont get back till the 26th so i will get started that week. You have all given put up so much information that helps on here so thanks. Everyone have a great weekend and ill talk to you next week since i will be out of town this weekend as well.

Brittnye
Old 07-16-2004, 06:26 PM   #54  

Hey Brittnye,

I will be starting around the same time as you. My vacation ends 8/23. I also have about the same amount of weight to lose. I didn't buy the EFL book but I think the BFL book gives enough info to start. I'm a little nervous about the 6 meals and I'm having a little trouble figuring out what to do as cardio. I tried the for a couple of days, but to get up to level 9 I had to run and at my weight, my back and knees are killing me. So I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do. But it will be great to have someone starting about the same time. Everyone here has been so helpful. I've got to give it my best shot. Look forward to hearing from you again. ttyl

I just realized you probably meant 7/26. oops
Old 07-16-2004, 07:15 PM   #55  
Chick

Hey Donna, Just read your post and I am wondering if you are interpreting the cardio correctly. When you say you get the treadmill up to level 9 do you mean you set the pace at 9 on the machine, or that you hit your 9's. Somehow I think you might be doing the former. When Bill Phillips says to hit your 10's, he means that the effort you put out is to the point of giving it all you've got. I have to go find my book, but I think he gives details on how you should feel, not really able to carry on a conversation, sweating, that sort of thing. Anyway, you shouldn't be hurting yourself. I do cardio on a treadmill and don't set the speed high at all, 3 at the highest. I increase the intensity by setting the incline higher and higher. Just wanted to clarify your interpretation of hitting 10's.

Brittnye welcome. You'll love BFL.
Old 07-17-2004, 12:03 AM   #56  

Hi Ledom,
Well, I think I've got it half right. Yes, I am trying to work at a easy level and then increase the intensity so that I am working harder and harder thru each minute of each interval. But I think the mistake I'm making is I am taking it from 2.8mph to 4.2 mph and at that point I'm running and that's where I'm hurting myself.(haven't done anything for 2 days. any pressure on my legs were causing pain in my lower back and knees.) I never thought to just incline. duh I feel so stupid. I will certainly try that tomorrow. I don't know how easily my tread will go up and down between minutes and intervals. It is powered but I don't know if its powerful enough with my big chasis on it. I am supposed to go walking (trails) with a friend tomorrow morning. If my legs and back are feeling better, maybe I'll try the tread again on sunday.

Thank you so much for catching my mistake. I know I haven't officially started yet, but I certainly want to do this correctly.
Old 07-17-2004, 12:30 AM   #57  
WW Moderator

Sorry to take so long to reply - this week has been NUTS.

Welcome, Brittnye! Have fun on your vacation. We'll be here when you are back and ready!

Donna, I like Ledom's suggestion about the incline. I've been going faster on the treadmill, but I think it would be a lot easier on my joints to just raise the height instead of the speed. Are you doing cardio every other day? Even though the book calls for that, I do it more often. I just feel like my sluggish metabolism needs it.

Ledom, work has been hard to adjust to. I'm not lifting, but it is a lot of up and down, back and forth. Pretty quickly, too, and it is draining me. I don't think I've ever been as tired as I am this week! I will be off on Sunday and I'm going to make menus for the whole week. Hopefully it will go smoother. I've been eating mostly right - but not quite on target. I need to do some cooking ahead of time also!
Old 07-17-2004, 02:22 AM   #58  
Empress/Queen

Hi, all! Just lurking and wanted to note that if you're competing officially with EAS you just have to use any of their supplements, drinks or bars ... at least that was the rule when I did it ... this is an interesting thread. You all are doing great!
Old 07-17-2004, 08:31 AM   #59  
Chick

Amarantha, it's good to "see" you. I hope you will speak up more often!

Jennifer, I hear you on going back to work. With the addition of having been through a major surgery I can see how you would be wiped out. When I go back to work after having the summer off it is a major shock to my system. What do you mean no more afternoon naps! One of my guilty pleasures in the summer.

Donna, good luck w/ your treadmill. Mine is broken now as you might have read. I am happy to say it broke when my 130 lb. daughter was on it instead of me. It is under warranty and the company will fix it. I never buy those maintenance agreements on appliances but decided to go ahead and buy one for the tread, I was still eligible when I called about this repair. It is getting a better workout than I am I'm sure. Anyway, hope you can get the incline. I really feel it in my hamstrings and butt when I do a high incline. I am trying to increase my speed, but I am doing it very slowly. Each week I try to make my max speed .10 faster. I assume as I get lighter the speed will come easier.

I have to brag on myself for the week - it was perfect regarding both food and exercise. I don't get to say that very often! I am going to enjoy a free day today. I don't anticipate a free for all like I experienced last week though. I have a list of everything I want to eat today, but I don't plan to gorge on anything. An added bonus, my yoga teacher is in town this weekend so I get to do yoga and more importantly the wonderful relaxation she guides us through.

It is amazing how my vocabulary has integrated into my daughters habits. She is working on her weight now as well. Doing great by the way. Free day is one thing she has incorporated into her plan as well. That concept just works! I find the thought of free day throughout the week keeps me honest so I can truly enjoy and feel I deserve that treat on Sat.
Old 07-17-2004, 04:56 PM   #60  

Hi BFL-ers.

I am considering this program, I have skimmed the book at the store, but have not bought it yet - I have a few questions - can you help me out please?

1. How is this as a program for weight loss? I have 60 lbs to lose, which I gained while pregnant last year. I want to be fit, but I also want to get back down to a healthy weight.

2. Is there a place for yoga in this plan? I know it's cardio/weights, but I also love yoga - would I be able to "count" this as exercise on this plan and if so, how?

3. I have been trying to get back into Weight Watchers, which I used 6-7 years ago to lose 20 lbs. I like the program for its accountability, but I don't love the way it leaves you to eat pretty much anything at any time. I am insulin resistant and need more structure in my eating. What do you all do for accountability on the program? What keeps you motivated?

4. For those of us who are cooking-impaired, can the plan be done with some commercially bought foods - i.e., rotisserie chickens, steamed chinese veggies & protein and similar?

5. Are Zone or Balance bars acceptable? I do not like Myoplex bars.

Sorry to impose with all the questions. I am just trying to get a sense of the "real life" aspect of this plan. Thanks so much for your time.

Best,

Daisy
Closed Thread