General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2001, 09:27 AM   #46  

Default geerp

Something that may help get you get jumpstarted is to follow a quasi-fat flush regimen for three or four days. Eliminate all wheat from your diet. You will have to be very careful because wheat is in so many things. It can cause what is called false fat and make your system sluggish. Eat lots of fresh vegetables like cabbage, spinich, broccolli, squash, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, etc. Eat lots of fresh fruit and very lean red meat(about 4 oz. per day). Fix yourself an omelet for breakfast with 2 eggs, mushrooms, and onion. Include some olive or flaxseed oil every day in your way of eating. I take flaxseed supplements daily and it has done wonders for my skin and nails. Eliminate sugar and drink water, water, water!!!!!!!!(no diet drinks)
This is not something to stay on for life, but for the first few days to a week, it will really jump start things for you. I lost 11 pounds in the week that I did it, and it continues to fall off with just my calorie counting. Don't give up! You can do it to!!!!!!!!
Ramona
[email protected] if you need to talk
Old 04-25-2001, 09:34 AM   #47  

Default thanks to jlnah for your help

I am glad that I got off the atkins diet too. I knew It was going against evrything I know. Eating all that fat was making me nausaus, I just knew I could not eat another pork rind YUCK!!!!. I have 15 pounds to lose and was looking for a quick fix. I feel so much less restricted eating what I want just limiting the calories because ultimatly I know thats what works. It's just taking me awhile to budge the numbers on the scale and it is frustrating when I am the same weight everyday. I recently turned 40 and I guess now that I'm older its just harder to lose. I will increase my water intake and try to get my walking in. Weather permitting. Thanks again for the advice.
Old 04-25-2001, 10:02 AM   #48  
hot mom wanna be!

Mrs Jim-I'm jealous!! I have always wanted to go to London since high school. I really want to go there some day (maybe like someone else mentioned when my son is grown and we get out of debt!!)

Monica-thanks for the website info-I am gonna check it out.

to everyone-have you all checked out Self and Shape magazine? I get a lot of inspiration and useful info in those type of magazines.

I have to admit after losing 27 pounds, on Easter weekend and a bit beyond I gained a few pounds back.
Very depressing but I am back on track now!! I know that if you don't watch and keep track of your intake (or if you have a pig out fest!!) the pounds will creep back!!) I hope to be back to 27 pounds lost again by my next weigh in day (Sunday)

CONGRATS to all the losers!!
It's great to see the wonderful results we are getting!

Lorelei
Old 04-25-2001, 01:23 PM   #49  

Hey there!
Important information for anyone that's interested. Week one of the Shape Up Community Challenge just started so its not too late to join. Go to iVillage.com and look under the diet and fitness section. I just started and its kind of fun(if you like keeping a journal). The best part is it's FREE!
Check it out!
Laura
Old 04-25-2001, 08:29 PM   #50  

Default Feeling bla

I tell ya, falling out of my program this week tho I have stay in a 1,200 to 1,400 cal range Had one miss hap this week getting up to 1,800 cal. I don't think it hurt me tho. It may make me just maintain the weight I loss and won't lose any this week. My morning walk went out of wack to. I counted at least two days of walking this week and I am not happy about it. Just been busy in places where things shouldn't have happen. Like My monitor tube blew up. just stop working. GRRRRR!! I wasn't sure it was the tube at first until I took it to a repair person today and told me it was, It wasn't worth fixing. So I had to get a new one. GRRRRRR! I really wanted to upgrade my memory to a higher level before I got my DSL modem. GRRRRR. Darn monitor
I've been plain fusterated this week.

Oh well hope all of y'all have a good one this week.
Cross my fingers on hopes I maintain the 10lb loss this week. Thinks to all that gave thanks.
Old 04-26-2001, 03:17 AM   #51  

Default bootwoman

Has the flaxseed supplements made your nails stronger? Mine are so week and I know that people say to take getatin for them but that never worked for me. I know that since I have been vegan that I should be using the flaxseed oil or something but our commissary does not have any. I know that we are getting a GNC here soon so maybe they will have that there. TIA
Old 04-26-2001, 12:01 PM   #52  

Default justaveggie

It could be a combination of lots of things, but I think the flaxeed oil is wonderful for all around health. It provides the good fats that we need in our diets.
Just go online to Swansons or Barleans to order your supplies. They are much cheaper than chain stores. I take capsules but, you can also use the oils for salad dressings and marinades. Don't try to cook with flaxseed oil however.
I also take borage oil capsules for added good fats and overall health.
Just type in flaxseed oil and enter and you will get all types of good info. Let me know if I can help.
Ramona
Old 04-26-2001, 04:17 PM   #53  

Default umm..guess u can tell...

I'm a calorie counter lol, but I don't understand why some people think it's so hard. Calories are printed on practically everything, and my slick black calculator makes quick work or counting. It's funny some people don't seem to understand if they are counting fat, carbs, or points they are still counting something.

I believe back in the old days their wasn't many calorie books, and stuff and calorie counting got a bad rap. Everybody started counting fat instead and the nation got fatter because people thought calories didn't count. (no disrespect to any program btw) But in the end calories always count. I don't count fat, or carbs. I eat 2000 calories a day, exercise and I've lost about 30 pounds so I'm pleased, actually overjoyed to find out there are some other calorie counters out there. I'm a 33 year old female... glad to meet all of you

262/232/160
Old 04-26-2001, 05:57 PM   #54  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Flaxseed and stuff

I use the flaxseed meal for extra fiber - toss a couple of spoonfuls in with my oatmeal, cereal or whatever when I have it on hand.

I haven't tried the oil for my nails - I've given up and just trot down to the salon every couple of weeks for gel fills!

What you said about calories being ALL that count is SO TRUE! I think the current carbo-backlash is mostly due to the 'Snackwells Phenomenon' of the 90's - when we were told that as long as there's no fat in something, you can eat all you want. Remember those Susan Powter infomercials where she said that? The original reasoning for low-fat eating was actually pretty sound - until the food manufacturers started putting out fat-free cookies, ice cream, chips, etc. Dr. Dean Ornish's book "Eat More, Weigh Less" is based on that theory - eat low fat foods, lose weight - BUT he didn't say "eat Entenmann's fat-free coffee cake" - he was/is referring to foods that are NATURALLY low in fat (and CALORIES), such as veggies, fruits, whole grains, etc.

Here I go again - ya gotta read "Fat of the Land" by Michael Fumento - he has an absolutely hilarious chapter on "The Low Fat Myth" that you MUST read!
Old 04-26-2001, 06:33 PM   #55  

Default WOO You Know it!

CalorieCruncher: You know it girl. I told my friends I was on a old fashion diet they asked what and I say calorie counting and you should seen there eyes roll to the back of their head. You be surprise what people thinks of calorie counting. I asked why what is their opinion and for some reason some people think calorie counting is vegging out! What in the world made them think that?

30lb ? Wow, congrats!

To anyone else: Today been a great day. I took my morning walk and I believe I will take an evening walk. Tomorrow is my weigh in. Let the drums roll!

257/247/137
Old 04-27-2001, 09:47 AM   #56  

Wink

Thanks FeistyFilly I'm down 2 more pounds!!!! This calls for a passionate rant

They do think that don't they! I tell them I'm counting calories and they think I'm starving myself..hehe.. And they think it takes hours or something. Like I have a degree in caloriertology! I've learned so much by doing it this way though. When I developed my weight problem I didn't know much about calories because all "they" were pushing was low fat stuff. I discovered that I don't want lowfat stuff unless it's was naturally lowfat or really just taste better than the fatter version. Sometimes it's hard to get regular stuff anymore. Anybody else notice this? Like yogurt, and cheese. Most of the low fat stuff is just as high in calories as the regular brands just packed with extra sugar instead of fat. The quality of the flavor in my food is very important to me because I love to cook and eat gourmet food. And a lifestyle of pretty much bland fat free/low fat fare wasn't appealing to me.

Plus I'm completely unwilling to try to convince myself that stuff taste almost like the real deal. Although I've food a few exceptions.

I'm not even going to pretend to understand whats healthy or not with all the doctors, nutrition experts and science people and the dietians, oh the government, sugar industry, beef industry..........oh my lol So while everyone is fighting over which diet program is the best, (weight watcher, Jenny craig, etc) what guru is right or wrong (Prit or Atkin) what's healthy low carb/ high protein, or low fat/low calorie, while Americans spend billions of dollars on this book or that ab/bun super cruncher.....I'll just eat regular food, and walk.....if nothing else I've dropped 30 pounds and saved some cash.

I just count'em, throw in some green stuff, and eat what I like and call it a day. I honestly don't know whats healthy and whats not with all this contrasting research results.

MRSJIM I've read that book, my friend loaned it to me...bet u can tell....

262/230/160
Old 04-27-2001, 10:39 AM   #57  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

Default I'm a calorie counter too

I have been counting calories (with a few lapses) since last August. I use www.dietwatch.com to track all my food and it automatically adds up the calories for me. Better yet, it keeps track of all the factors on the nutrition label so I can see as I go if I am getting enough protien, calcium, fiber, etc....

So far I have lost over 50 lbs with another 20 or so to go. I feel great. I haven't had to pay anyone (other than my ISP to come here for support) and I can eat whatever I want in reason.

I have been posting what I eat on the eating lite thread over on the support page. I am trying to get some renewed willpower going to get rid of these last lbs.
Old 04-27-2001, 11:10 AM   #58  

Default fellow calorie counters......

I am so happy to read all the posts from my fellow calorie counters. What could be more simple than adding up a few numbers? And, what an eye opener when you add up the numbers from your old way of eating. I had myself convinced that I didn't eat very much food, and quantity wise I didn't eat that much every day. But just add up a meat and cheese and bean burritto and a side of cheese dip and basket of chips. Oh my gosh! One meal alone had more calories than I needed for the entire day!!!!!!
If I had all the thousands of dollars I've spent on programs, gimicks and pills, I could buy a great new wardrobe for my ever improving figure. Oh, what a little common sense will do! Keep posting and encouraging.....your cohort in counting,
Ramona
Old 04-27-2001, 09:26 PM   #59  

Default My Friday Weigh in

Lost 3 LB.
I can't believe it either.
I'm very happy
On my way down down down!!!!!!

Have a great weekend everybody!!

257/244/137
Old 04-29-2001, 02:10 AM   #60  

It's been a couple of days since I posted and you all have some pretty inspiring loses on here.
At this point I don't even need to take a real counting of what I am eating, I just know that I can have this much here or this much there. Also I find that some days around 2 in the afternoon when I am thinking of what I am going to make for dinner I realize that I have not eaten enough and have to have a snack like an apple or something because I have not eaten enough.
Closed Thread