Doing Our Own Thing - March 2004

You're on Page 1 of 11
Go to
  • It's a new month girls!!! Personally, I'm rethinking my goals. Anyone else?

• Well, dum de dum, la de da.... Here I am all alone. Sigh.

Heck, I'll post anyway. Hopefully, all "the gals" will be along soon.

Had a terrible weekend. Ate lots of junk and didn't care. But at least I got lots of water in. Not as much as I should have but it had to have helped a little. And I'm back on track today.

It's March. I've vowed to lose 5 lbs. this month, get to Curves 3 times each and every week and drink lots of that good luck water stuff.

Anyone else? Anyone? Come on and join me! I'll tell you the lastest news....
  • Hey Chickie!
    I see your 5 lbs. and raise you a liter of water.
    I'm going to check out Curves tomorrow morning. I don't care how much it costs...if I like the place, I'm gonna make it work.

So, is there really news or are you just teasing to pull us out?
  • Hey, girls, I'm back from the Quilt Fest...now I need a vacation to recover. It was wonderful and I really enjoyed my classes and learned a lot working with the judges. I'll have a quilt in the show next year - going to be hand pieced, hand quilted, embellished with beads and embroidery and it will be a winner. There are many who do handwork anymore and there is a category just for that.

The first day I was off the server went off and they were all too stupid to read the directions to restart it and the database server. When the hotel told them I couldn't be paged, they decided they could read the directions (basically turn it on and then click on the database server icon (I made it as simple as I could for the computer illerates). I had told them I refused to take a cell phone with me - I WAS ON VACATION! - so I didn't have more than 5 voice mail messages a day. I was really bummed out. I told the boss I can't be gone for 3 days and he takes off for 4-6 weeks for his vacation and we work just fine - need more money! It must be a sign of age when you can't find much to buy because you already have most of it. So I was able to come home with more than half the money I took with me - now my friends and I are going to Mary Jo's in South Carolina to try to spend it.

This day has been in the high 60's - pansies are blooming again and the trees are starting - my nose is running. Pine trees now.
  • Can dogs get spring fever?! My dog is driving me crazy! This past weekend, she chewed the hair off of my nieces Strawberry Shortcake Doll. Yesterday, she hauled a box of Malted Milk Balls that I had bought for DH's lunch under the bed like it was treasure. While I was putting away groceries, I thought that the bagger must not have put them in my bag! Didn't find out what had happened until we went to bed...dog kept leaving, going under the bed, coming back. I don't think she's feeling well today. Oh, she also chewed a roll of papertowel the boys had in there room that they used to pick up a DOG TERD. AKA, malted milk ball terd.
    OK, I've vented. I'm better now.

Quilter, your quilt sounds wonderful. And pansies! I'm jealous! As you've probably heard, all I have is MUD.

Semo, is work eating you alive? I know it's your busy season. Hope you are taking time for yourself.

Well, I'm off to make beds and then get myself presentable for my visit to CURVES!
  • Eww Tiger! I may never eat another malted milk ball again!

... Hm... Great diet plan!

Anyway, hope you enjoy Curves. I'm still loving it!

Quilter, sounds like you had a great time! I'm so glad. It's too bad you had to come home to a bunch of bozos though. Yeah, your boss sounds like mine. "Uh, boss, you have to TURN IT ON!" Grumble. Good for you for not taking the cell phone!

OK, my news... I won three free nights at Bally's Las Vegas!! So Rich and I are going at the end of April. It'll take that long to save up some money and get things organized at work so they can live without me for a few days. (Right, Quilter?) Now we're just trying to find the cheapest flights. Don't even care if they're connections because we'll be on vacation! (Quilter, you've inspired me. )

Gotta go. Boss is already here which is an amazing ... and terrible ... thing. Talk to you all later!
  • I did it! I went! I went! And I'm so glad I did.
    And, they have a "special" starting next week. If you bring a bag of groceries when you sign up, you don't have to pay the $80 sign up fee! Cha-Ching! I made an appointment to sign up next Tuesday. Oh, and I got to do a workout today. I'm just giddy.

Jello, should I feed the dog peanut M&M's? How did you when the free nights?

Dirty kitchen calling my name...but that's ok, cuz I'M GIDDY!
  • Okay tig, reading your post, makes me want to curves right this minute. I may go over there later today, as I have to go out and get diapers anyway. W/ DH leaving next weekend, I need to get in all my running around (w/o the rugrats) out of the way now.

I am so bummed! my scale says I gained 6 pounds in a week. Granted I sort of pigged out for 2 of the days, but is it possible to gain that much weight in a week? I shampooe'd carpets, cleaned out a garage and did walk 2 miles in that time...UGH!! I am so fustrated about the whle thing right now!
  • Okay, so I did it!! I have an appointment at Curves in an hour (11:30am CA time). I'm very excited about it too. The sun is out and the sky is true blue, thank goodness. It's windy as all get out, but hey, I'll take it over the rain anyday!
  • Well, ladies, I got up the nerve to step on the scale today and I am back to 150 so I am a happy camper. Guess I walked enough miles at the quilt show to offset what I ate - only had dessert one time and it was to die for - White Chocolate Key Lime Cheesecake. I split a piece with my friend.

Its 78 degrees right now. By the way, I mentioned pansies are blooming again. They bloom most of the winter here, we plant them in the fall, because it's too hot for them in the summer. Still many trees down that haven't been cleaned up yet since the hurricane and still some people not back in their homes.

I'd love to go to Curves and they opened one by my house, but it's only open when I am working. I'd like to go early - before work. Guess I'll still keep walking.
  • Dyan, how did you like Curves? Does yours have the grocery deal next week? How about kids? The one I'm going to join doesn't have a place for kids. I'll have to figure out what to do with the rugrats this summer. My oldest is 12, youngest 7. I'd leave the older one home alone for a short time, but not ready to leave them together. *danger*

Quilter, keep checking Curves...they have different hours and some open early. The one by me is testing out opening at 7am right now and if enough people come they will keep opening early. Myself, I'll be dragging in around 9am.

• Oh, almost forgot way to go Quilter, getting back to 150!
  • Cool! Lookit all the Curvy ladies!!! Go girls! Geez, now I want to go right to Curves and have a workout! Mine opens at 7 in the morning but it still doesn't leave me enough time to go for a workout, then "freshen up" and still get to work on time. Oh well. I still enjoy stopping on my way home from work. Just 30 minutes - so convenient.

Well, last night's weigh-in was not good. I talked to the leader for a while (have I mentioned I love my leader!? ) and am feeling a little more "stable". I'm challenging myself this week to stay completely OP. Let's just see, shall we?

One good thing - I'm officially, as of now, giving up peanut M&M's. LOL Thanks Tiger!

Quilter, send some of those skinny vibes my way, would you? :

Dyan, yes, it's been my experience that one can gain that much in a week. The good news is that it's usually just temporary water weight and it (well, some of it) comes off fairly quickly. Hang in there.

Gotta run. Old *itch just strutted by and sneered at me so my day is officially started. Yeah, yeah. Must be terrible to be old and sad and lonely and angry all the time.... What a waste of space she is.

Talk to you all later.
  • Happy Humpy Hair Cut Day!
    I'm getting a trim today and maybe color if she can work it in. My stylist is expecting a baby any day now and getting appointments is difficult. Everyone trying to get in for a cut before she goes on leave.
    Faye, can you believe I drive to LaPorte just to get my hair done?

Jello, glad to help with the M&M's. Is there anything else you'd like me to feed the little beast? I forgot to ask the ladies at Curves what to expect when I sign up next week. Do they weigh and measure?

Where is everyone else?
  • Hola Chicas!

Just breezing in to say hi....things are a little hectic at work today. Can't believe it's Wednesday already.

I'm working on something that I hope will help me get on track in March. I had a chance on Monday to review some lab results with my naturopath. She gave me some advice about specific supplementation for insulin resistance... so I am hoping that I can break up that vicious cycle. Gives me just enough hope to try again? Been looking for some inspiration, it's about time.

Gotta run!