anyone on "The GI Diet"?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hi,

Is anyone out there following The G.I Diet? (gylcemic index diet).

It is similar to the South Beach Diet (low carb, low fat) but without Phase 1. As well, since it's by a Canadian probably not as well known as some diets.

I've just started it and it's going well so far. (My traditional downfall has been overeating starches). As well, my doctor who just did a physical on me, really would like to see my weight go down as I'm risk for diabetes. (I also am going to restart exercising too.) She's says my health is very good for my age (47) and weight but having just lost my father-in-law; I'd like to live as long and healthy as possible. (I have a severely disabled teen who's going to need our advocacy for the rest of his life.)
  • I actually just received the book so if you would like to chat about it I will be here. My GI doctor recommended this way of eatting to me.

bev
  • Purrceys,

The GI way of eating is what we follow over on the Sugar Buster board. You're welcome to come on over and join us if you want!
    BOB
  • I've just learned about it and have started moving toward it. I printed out an index to get me going and am buying the book Friday. I'm 47 as well, and have a LOT to lose, but when reading up on this realised that it's something I could live with LONG term instead of a diet to go on and off of.
    How long have you been on it and how are you doing?

A fellow Canuck,
    Kelly-Anne
  • Hi, I misplaced my book on the GI diet so i am just reading it now. If you are going to start this way of eatting I will do it along with you and we can support each other.

Bev
  • Hi everyone, I to just finished the book and am going grocery shopping tomorrow to get the right stuff. It would be nice to chat with you to see how we are all doing and to give and get some support. I am 49 yr. old and need to do something. Hope to hear from you soon.
    deb
  • Hi, I am still here and I am also just starting. So if you want to chat I will be here.

Bev
  • Hi bev,
    well so far so good, but it's only been a 1/2 day so far. My biggest hurdle is when I work, I am a working kitchen manager, I do a lot of cooking and baking, I am around all the wrong foods. I have a plan to bring substitutes for the foods I seem to munch on the most. That is my biggest problem is the munchies. Anyway how is everything going with you? I will check you out tonite or tomorrow after my challenging day at work.
    Take care
    deb
  • HI Deb, I am so glad it is going well for you. Today is a tough day for me because my kids are home from school. How did you like the book? I like how the book is layed out. It makes it really easy to follow. are you just following the book or are you also doing something else like counting calories or something else. I go back and forth between counting the calories and just eatting the books in the book.

I don't know if you know or not but they talk about the book and the eatting plan in the Feb. 17 issue of Woman's World.

I like forward to hearing from you again
    Bev
  • GI diet
    I just bought the book and gonna start soon. Last year I lost 27 lbs. on Weight Watchers. The first time I ever lost any big amount of weight. I gained it back so back to the drawing board. I really like WW, but it has alot of carbs. Anyways I going to start the GI soon.
  • grallo1954- Hi, when you start the GI diet plan we will be here to support you.

Bev
  • I am waiting for the book to arrive from Amazon. I have over 100 pounds to lose. I am 63 and find it is so hard for me to lose weight. I've tried and bought anything that I've heard about and I don't stay with anything. I broke my knee cap Jan.2nd, so it is difficult for me to get around, but I going to try to do as much walking as I can manage.
  • I picked up the G.I. diet book... after reading about it in womans world. I want to try the diet to see how tough it is to live on. My husband is the one that really needs to lose the weight. I want to see if it is a life style that the both of us can live with. I have been on it for a week now... I have lost 2 lbs. but the hardest thingt for me has been to try to give up on the coffee... I do drink a lot of water, but I have to have the coffee too, anyone else having a problem with that... I have a horrible time with decaf.
  • I have been on the GI Diet for a while and I love it...though overloading starches and not enough fruit...although I do great with the veggies.

I was upset that I had't lost alot of weight, but have just been diagnosed with hypothyroid....it brings low metabolism and an inability to lose weight easily, and it is aggrevated by stress....and I operate a day care and write freelance, including an article on the GI Diet that came out at Sheknows.com the same week the GI Diet came out in Woman's World. And I am the only person I know who gains weight when I get sick! It must be the metabolism thing!

So, actually, the 23 pounds I have lost since July isn't bad, considering.
  • I'm finding the diet fairly easy to stay on... in fact I'm not craving sugar the way I usually do . I also have a thyriod condition ... and i'm not losing the weight like I would like to but I'm hoping to have more energy ... The muffins in the book are really great for the sweet tooth... I'm going to have to search around for recipes though. I still like my coffee.