General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 02:54 PM   #31  

Oh sure, buy Dr Phil's book and make me want to buy it too.
I would check it out at the library, but there is no library in my township. Hickville. There is one IN town, but I have to pay for a library card. I've paid for one in the past, just didnt get one this year.

Faye, sounds like you are getting back in the groove. How long has it been since you've had a job outside the home? How do you keep so motivated with the house stuff? You always seem to be on top of things.

I got some exercise in today raking. Sore arms. Yard is so big, area I raked looks pea size. But really raked up a lot of leaves. Really. Ofcourse, DH will get home and think to himself...."is that all she got done". Superman could have done it better.

I think I'm in a bad mood today. PMS, yeah, that's it.
Old 11-10-2003, 03:53 PM   #32  

Hey Girls, I survived the exercise clinic. Iím really sore still, but it was great. There were only 11 of us there so we got lots of individual attention. Biggest part of this group was in my age range and weight. I will definitely go whenever there is another within driving distance.

Iím busy today so Iíve got to get back to work. Did want to tell Tig, that we mow our leaves. Iíd never get those leaves racked so we just run the mower over them, plus itís good for the ground too.

Itís Monday and once again I am making my commitment to do better this week. Big Sigh! Itís so much easier just to be lazy and eat junk, donít you think!

Gotta run.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:03 PM   #33  

Tig: It was a year last August when I worked last. I just keep looking and it will come when it comes. I think maybe I should just be patient. God knows what he is doing. After all, what kind of a mess would I be in if Jack had his heart attack and I had been working? I am very obsessive compulsive about stuff so I just feel compelled to do it even if I am tired, I push myself. Believe me, it has its drawbacks when nothing is ever clean enough!

I have to tell you, these new menus are making me lose more weight than I ever have and I am eating better food too. I get dessert every night and who can say that, right? I fixed chicken cordon bleu for dh tonight with bak pot, veggie and pineapple upside down cake. It was either low or no fat and was delicious. I told Jack that he is eating more foods that he would never touch if he knew about them than ever before (ie, non fat yogurt is the batter for the chicken recipe above, I put splenda in everything instead of sugar etc)

I am down another 5 lbs just since last Thurs! Twoterville is so close I can taste it now! I went and bought my very first pair of pant style pjs today, got home and tried them on and....THEY WERE TOO BIG! WOOHOO! I kept them because they are still very comfortable and have a drawstring in the pant but I could have easily worn the next smaller size.

Jack is coming along. He walked on his own for about 10 minutes in Best Buy today and then used a scooter when we went to Walmarts. He still tires very easily, but you can see in his face he is getting his strength back day to day.

Everybody have a terrific evening. I am going to go and put clothes away!

Faye
Old 11-11-2003, 10:29 AM   #34  

Good morning!
Faye, sounds like you had a nice boost to your weightloss. Twoterville ...I've never heard that one before.

Semo, I mow SOME of our leaves, but not all. I have areas that are way to thick....mounds of leaves. I usually try to rake "out front". Yesterday I had to dig out the driveway. Then there's the back, back yard area...I don't even think about raking that. One of these years I'm going to get a bagger for the lawn mower.

Today, youngest son has a dentist appointment. I'm waiting for the Culligan man to get here and get gone so I can take a shower. "Hey Culligan Man!"

Old 11-11-2003, 10:48 AM   #35  

Good for you, Faye! Twoterville is almost here! I couldn't handle the desserts everyday. They are a special occasion in our house. Carbs make me crave more carbs and feel hungry. Pineapple Upside Down cake is my absolute favorite, too. I'm glad to know you've found what works for you.

It has gotten really cold - actually had to finally put the heat on last night and get a jacket for today. But the sun is out and that makes me feel better. Raking leaves - hum, guess they will have to fall off the trees first - or what is left of the trees. It's been a very strange fall. 80% are still green.

I'm really liking what I read in Dr. Phil's book. He has a good, no nonsense approach and is very helpful in finding permanent solutions - and letting the reader know everyone is not going to be model thin. I'm trying to do the exercises with some real thought into the answers. Still sticking with SB.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:28 AM   #36  

HEY Ladies! Somehow, I'm still tired after this weekend... We were BUSY. So I'm just poking along, trying to get motivated to get my desk cleared off. None of the projects I have today are THAT important, but yet they all need to be done. Deadlines really work better for me.

Paul had begun a particularly ambitious Indian curry last night before I came home - so I dove in and helped him set it to simmering and we had a late but delicious dinner. MMmmm... curry!

Not too much to add... I'm fortunate on the yard maintenance end of things because we have a condo so that's taken care of by the association dues.

~Cafe
Old 11-12-2003, 09:41 AM   #37  

Tig: I am fighting the leaf battle myself and we only have one tree in our little deck area. I do get leaves from the condo next door who has 2 trees. I blow them about once a week out to the corner of the garage and make the lawn maintenance people bag them up. I have to pay through association fees for lawn maintenance so they can earn their money!

Cafe: I have never had curry, but always wanted to try it. I am not big on Indian foods, but I always thought curry sounded good.

Susan: I like Dr Phil's diet approach too, but he burns me up selling those bars and shakes and such and now has national commercials about them. For someone who doesn't think we should have to use that stuff, he sure does tout it!

Jack is having back problems. He strained his back a few nights ago in bed and I am having trouble getting the pain to go away. He sat up all night in the recliner with a heating pad on and I just tucked him back in bed with Ben Gay and a short massage. Guess breakfast is alone this morning for me!

Well, chores are calling as usual!

Faye
Old 11-12-2003, 01:17 PM   #38  

Hump Day!
Faye, I also dont understand Dr Phil selling diet products. It goes against one of his tips. The tip is to eat foods that take longer to prepair and fix so ya don't wolf your food down without knowing it. Diet bar, two bites, gone. Doesn't make sense.
Quilter, does he mention his "products" in the book?

I just got home from the vet and grocery store. Silly dog has allergies. Her little arm pits are raw and she' gonna chew a paw off pretty soon. The grocery store....99cent donut holes....*banging head on desk*. I'm broken. Still holding steady under 200 and hope joining the gym with DH after Christmas comes true and does the trick.

Old 11-12-2003, 01:33 PM   #39  

Hi everyone!

Been catching up on the November stuff. Missed being a part of the group.

I have been soaring along, losing my 1-2 lbs a week, feeling downright superior and cocky. Family dinners, restaurants... no problem for me, I'm focused and committed.

But then my brother calls... his girl friend tossed him out with only the clothes on his back and his truck... said he could get his stuff when he paid her back the $$ he owes her. (Did I mention he has no job? He's a professional gigalo?) So he calls me collect, and I tell him I don't have any money because I'm not working but that he can stay here (80 miles from where he lives). Not good enough. So after 5 collect phone calls in a 5 hr period (the final one with "tears"), I drive an hour and a half with money we don't have, to bail his butt out (hubby on nights...had to break the news to him the next morning. THAT was fun). DB didn't want to talk, just took the cash & ran. Anyway, I spent the next two days on an eating orgy. After he got the $$ he never called back. Is he Okay?? My son said it was too bad he didn't do drugs. I thought that was an odd statement so I say why? He says at least that would explain why he acts like he does...

So...like Tiger & Cafe I'm thinking, maybe I need to get Dr. Phil's book, start working on the keys... I'm ovbiously not as in control as I thought... Oh wait, I can't. Con Artist brother has all my cash...

Faye: My stress is nothing compared to yours. I'm going to get started on my menus today!! Congratulations for staying on track and I hope Jack mends quickly. My DH had a heart attack five years ago, 10 of these extra lbs I'm toting around are his...

Jello: I hope I get a job soon so I can have my own *itch. You actually made me miss her. Old and fat women have a hard time finding a job... Trying to do something about the fat, I'm just going to have to live with the old. I did go to a job interview the other day, and I looked pretty damned good in my 3 peice knit pantsuit... down 22 lbs.

Oh well. Enough *itching.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:17 PM   #40  

Dr. Phil briefly mentioned bars and shakes in his book, not his specifically and recommended they only be used as "emergency" food - carry one with you in case you can't find good food - or an occasional snack. He does not advocate replacing meals like breakfast with a bar or shake. He also says to watch out for the ones that have high carbs. His are actually pretty good and a good size, not 2 bites. I had a meeting to go to on short notice and no time for lunch so I ate that and then had a salad when I got back to work.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:37 PM   #41  

lisabeth: Kiddo, I know how hard it must be, but you are enabling your brother BIG TIME by basically letting him control you. You should have told him after the 2nd call you don't have the money can't get the money and can't afford the collect calls so to go somewhere else for it and then not take another collect call from him. He is a huge MOOCH and when he didn't even appreciate what you did means he thinks he DESERVES money from other people. It is your decision, but I certainly wouldn't do this again or you are going to end up with big trouble. BTW, no problem is bigger than the next. I am sure sorry you are having to deal with something like this along with the job issue. At least, they call you. I bet I have applied for 50 jobs and not one call so I don't know whether they think I am over qualified, under qualified or what. I never put the dates I graduated for high schoo or went to college so they don't know how old I am, but I do have 6 years of experience in the jobs I apply for, so who knows? My take on it is that the good Lord knew what was going to happen so didn't want me to have problems by having a job to deal with along with Jack. Good luck with the job prospects.

Susan: He is also selling supplements and I would like to know who his "nutrionist" is if he has one because they don't know squat what an apple or a pear shape is. The supplements say that an apple shape is anyone with a tush area of more than 40 inches and pear if less and that is NOT right. It all has to do with where the bulk of your weight, no matter how much it is, is carried. Any idiot can figure it out. If you look in the mirror and your hips are much bigger than the upper part, you are a pair. It you basically are round with no visable waist you are an apple, then there is the hour glass, the inverted triangle, etc, so it kind of puts me off him a little bit. He is a psychologist and that is all. I am glad you like the book though!

Well, I am going to go check on dh. He was kind of in a blue funk today so he is going out with me tomorrow for a good portion of the morning.

Faye
Old 11-13-2003, 11:31 AM   #42  

Hey all!

Poor DH has a tummy flu kind of thing. I was feeling kind of ookey and didn't get much sleep so I was TIRED yesterday. But last night I went to bed on time and feel REFRESHED today. Wahoo!

It's a good thing because I've got a bunch of junk to finish today and send out of town for a big meeting. Labeled folders of handouts customized for each attendee and name badges... tedium. Usually we'd send a lot of this out, but we're going low budg this quarter to save $$.

{{{lizabeth}}} It's in the past now. Time to get back to normal - where you were before and let it go. You've made great progress! Don't cheat yourself of it. And don't take calls from him anymore.

Gotta run - I'll drop back by if I get a chance. Howdy to everyone!!
Old 11-13-2003, 01:02 PM   #43  

Faye, I've read in other books that a pear is anyone with a waist over 35 inches because carrying fat in the abdominal area sets you up for a heart attack and they don't seem to do the triange and all the other shapes just apple and pear. One of the books was the Insulin Resistant Diet. Perhaps the definition has changed, like so many other things. Since he never says these things are required, I don't have a problem with him having them. It's all in reading labels and being an informed consumer.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:09 PM   #44  

Just a quick Hello..........HELLO. Have been in Regulatory Meetings for the last couple of days. BORING!! Food was terrible, you would at least hope for something good to eat. While we were there yesterday, EPA dropped in at one of the locations, so everyone else is scrambling around today making sure all our I's are dotted and T's crossed. Gotta run.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:28 PM   #45  

Hi all. Much better today.

I'm finding the Dr. Phil discussion facinating. I went to his website and pulled up some menus and in the first set (not the ones by the nutrionist) each day called for a snack in the a.m. and p.m that included either one of his bars or shakes. That really put me off, but I went ahead and looked at the other menus (in an adobe format by week) done by the nutritionist and they only had one snack and one breakfast for the entire week using his products. The meal plans look pretty good, very similar to what I'm already doing.

There is one thing I'm wondering about, and it may be addressed in the book. Does everyone get the same number of calories regardless of their weight? Is there a stepdown in calories? Seems to me if there isn't some sort of tapering off, the weight loss would be stalling out about now.

Faye: I do have my college graduation date on my resume. I went back to school after my kids went to school so imagine the shock when the interviewer is expecting someone in their mid 30's and a woman in her late 40's shows up... Its like they can smell the menopause.
And the blues that your DH is having are all part of the heart attack. My DH had it so bad I mentioned it to the doctor and he said it was just part of the shock (read: wakeup call) that the heartattack caused. If he wanted to continue life as he knew it, he would have to change. That's enough to scare the you-know-what out of anyone. The good news is my DH did quit smoking and cut his drinking to an occasional beer. His cholesteral and blood pressure numbers are better than mine now!!

Later.
Closed Thread