General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 01-18-2019, 02:46 PM   #1  

Default Food and blood pressure.

I was wondering if any members know exactly how foods and liquids affect blood pressure. I started my weight lose 5 days ago. I am 380 pound Male with high blood pressure. This is my 10th time trying to lose weight I'm sure. I go from high junk food and processed foods to 100% clean eating and from mostly pop to water only. I know I am only eating 1200 calories daily if im adding correctly and should be well over 2000 from what I seen online. I also pee way more with only water.

now my actual problem is everytime I try my blood pressure goes way up and I think it's from lack of calories and maybe peeing(10 times daily) maybe throwing my electrolytes off. I feel like no energy and this may sound weird but im puppy hungry all the time. I shake n am ravioushly hungry.

can someone shed some light on this. Is it my calories and too much water intake too fast. I have no other health problems as of 1 week ago. Blood work fine.

Please only positive replies I suffer from anxiety and dont want that up with my blood pressure lol.
Thanks and have a great day..
canadacatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 193/159/140

Height: 5'9"

Junk food definitely can affect blood pressure. Good on you for trying again, doesn't matter if it's your 10th time. At your weight, 1200 calories is way too low and I think that is causing your shaking and possibly blood pressure. Why not do this under the supervision of your family doctor? Then you can get some guidance on how to lose the weight in a healthy way and you might have less side effects. This will help you stick with it also. The internet has lots of sites that show how many calories is safe to eat as per your current weight. The more you lose weight...the more you'll reduce your calorie intake. But I think you might have gone too drastic right out of the gate. You can do this! I wish you all the best.
Follena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 265/141/132-136

Height: 5'6" - 64 YO

Since my BP is influenced by stress, I will say that worrying about it and taking it frequently when I get a high reading actually causes it to go up and the effect can be quite pronounced! ............ my doctor made me promise once a day first thing in the morning

Also BP is higher in the winter.

I agree that 1200 calories is fine for a typical woman [I ate about 1200 when I started at 265] but it is very low for a man. I log food on Cronometer to make sure I get all my nutrients and it is hard to get them all on a 1200 calorie diet. I would talk with your doctor about it all though. It could be something with the electrolytes since you have started dieting. Also if you are famished on your diet it is going to make it harder to comply long term for slow steady weight loss. A lot depends on age, activity level etc but I know my husband who is about my age can eat so many more calories than me even though I get more exercise.

There are supplements like magnesium that help with BP and you need to get adequate potassium which is hard to do with calorie restriction but a doctor needs to advise on those supplements due to possible interactions/issues with BP medicines.

Hang in there. Wish you success. It is all in being steady and consistent! I lost 130# and have great numbers now though and have ditched the statin, A1C is great, but still have to take low dose BP meds.
grannynancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:04 AM   #4  

I know that you can control your high blood pressure by the use of natural diets or/and exercise. And you have a higher risk of high blood pressure if you eat too much salt.
According to this:
Sodium is found not only in salt, but also in a variety of foods such as bread, milk, eggs, meat and shellfish as well as processed items like soup, pretzels, popcorn, soy sauce and bouillon cubes.
Extra sodium in the bloodstream can pull water into the blood vessels and boost blood pressure by increasing the amount of fluid the heart needs to pump through the body.

It seems like your weight loss have caused blood pressure issues and your body is not yet fully used to these new pressures, hence the light headedness and lack of energy.
If you want to lose weight, please, do it under control of your family doctor. Wish you luck!
mintleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:51 AM   #5  
mjf

If you're tired and hungry all the time, then you should be eating more. Even at 2000 calories per day, you should be able to lose weight at a fast rate.

More importantly, make sure you're eating a healthy and balanced diet. If you're not sure if your diet is good, you can post a list of foods that you eat, and I'll let you know if I have suggestions.

You may want to try the Mediterranean diet, one of the best diets for people with high blood pressure.
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 02:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 0/-7.5/-70

Just a thought- I wonder if the increase in BP is related to an increase in overall blood volume from the increase in water. Perhaps if the intake of liquid is the same as when your BP is ok, your BP will stay ok. Bananas and grapefruit juice can lower BP if the intake is consistent over a period of time (i.e. months). Beet juice can also lower BP.
Pipsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:10 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadacatman View Post
I was wondering if any members know exactly how foods and liquids affect blood pressure. I started my weight lose 5 days ago. I am 380 pound Male with high blood pressure. This is my 10th time trying to lose weight I'm sure. I go from high junk food and processed foods to 100% clean eating and from mostly pop to water only. I know I am only eating 1200 calories daily if im adding correctly and should be well over 2000 from what I seen online. I also pee way more with only water.
It is likely due to lack of glycogen. Most people think think that if you drink water you will be hydrated but that isn't true. Something has to hold the water in the body or you will just piddle it right out. When you reduce your calories and eat clean, you are reducing the sugar and glycogen available. This allows you to rapidly dehydrate. The reason people lose "water weight" when they start to diet is because glycogen holds a tremendous amount of water in the body. As that glycogen is consumed by the body - water is released. Without water your body must increase the BP to move the blood around.

Try eating more or changing what you eat to add more sugar and salt. Here is a few links.

https://liquid-iv.com/blogs/news/the...salt-and-sugar

Each gram of glycogen is associated with 3-4 grams of water. So, as your body burns its way through the reduced dietary carbs and into the glycogen stores, the water attached to the glycogen is lost as well resulting in the phenomenon commonly known as “losing water weight.” https://8fit.com/nutrition/glycogen-...-water-weight/
AnnRue is offline   Reply With Quote