General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:00 AM   #1  

Default Not losing, is there a better diet for women over 50?

A few years back I did the South Beach Diet successfully and transitioned to Phase 3 and kept the weight off for 2 years. In the last year, especially since the election sadly, I started not watching my carb intake. I have 10-15 lbs I need to lose now. I started again 2 weeks ago on the SBD.

I am in full ketosis (I know SBD isn't low carb but this is what works for me, I find my weight stalls when I add in beans). I have been at/around 1200 calories a day as well.

I lost 5 lbs and now for the last week nothing, not 1 oz.

I'm wondering if anyone has ideas or thoughts about how to break through this standstill. I'm so frustrated but I'm sticking to PH1 and am not cheating.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
mexigrl64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 202/160/150

Height: 5'2"

I don't know much about SBD. But I do know it is low carb, which most likely accounted for your first week's dramatic weight loss - water be gone. That said, I do know a bit about losing weight after 50. My loss according to the scale was not linear. So, tracking it regularly and seeing the downward trend helps me a lot during weeks with no loss. It has also slowed as I get closer to a healthy weight. If you feel good on the chosen diet plan, my advice would be to stick to your plan and pay more attention to how your clothes are fitting and less to the scale. Maybe a tape measure, too. Or, adding some exercise to get rid of a few more calories if you are able to do that.
Nightowlrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:17 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightowlrn View Post
If you feel good on the chosen diet plan, my advice would be to stick to your plan and pay more attention to how your clothes are fitting and less to the scale. Maybe a tape measure, too.
I second this....wholeheartedly! Once I removed myself from the torture of the scale, everything else seemed to fall into place. The only time I see my weight is when I'm in the doctor's office.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:31 PM   #4  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Well- one, I'd suggest if politics/news etc. have that kind of impact on you- don't follow it. I get stressed particularly in election years due to the constant barrage of negativity (I'm super sensitive to people being unkind to each other) and will frequently take breaks from all news sites and social networking sites to escape it. It can be especially important to be kind to yourself and to surround yourself with positive influences.

I'm in my mid-40's and for me Paleo seems to work best for my body. I'm very sensitive to carbs, and so limiting my carbs is essential. Oddly, I can eat rice without issue, but wheat products? Totally from the devil. I don't eat any processed food at all- none. All my meals are prepared by me, at home. Lots of chicken, beef, lamb, fish, vegetables, rice, yams. Very little potato, wheat or fruit.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:53 PM   #5  
ZhivkoIvanov

S/C/G: 240/198/184

Height: 6'3''

The scale is not the always the best way to measure your weight loss progress. Focus more on how you feel and how you look. I suggest you eating more fish, grass-fed meats, and green-leafy vegetables. Avoid processed foods and refined grains at all costs. It will be very helpful to start doing some exercises such as walking up stairs, walking in the park or cycling (whichever you'd like most).

Last edited by ZhivkoIvanov; 04-05-2017 at 06:01 PM.
ZhivkoIvanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:15 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexigrl64 View Post
A few years back I did the South Beach Diet successfully and transitioned to Phase 3 and kept the weight off for 2 years. In the last year, especially since the election sadly, I started not watching my carb intake. I have 10-15 lbs I need to lose now. I started again 2 weeks ago on the SBD.

I am in full ketosis (I know SBD isn't low carb but this is what works for me, I find my weight stalls when I add in beans). I have been at/around 1200 calories a day as well.

I lost 5 lbs and now for the last week nothing, not 1 oz.

I'm wondering if anyone has ideas or thoughts about how to break through this standstill. I'm so frustrated but I'm sticking to PH1 and am not cheating.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Since I'm 65, I know what you are dealing with.

That said, I was able to lose weight in my 50's just by counting calories. Of course I was also walking 5 miles daily, so that no doubt helped. And it was a tough slog, because I wasn't focusing on eating the right things but rather just concentrating on the calories alone. Because of that, and because I ate all day, I was constantly hungry.

I think what you are doing should work, but have you considered adding some fasting to your regimen? That might give you a kick start. I have had some luck with not only doing OMAD but also doing some 48 hour fasts as well. Even a 16:8 eating window might help.

Just a suggestion.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote