General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:08 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkhippie View Post
New favorite breakfast: oatmeal with chopped apples with a pat of butter, cooked for 3 minutes in the microwave and then drizzled with maple syrup and sprinkled with walnuts. yum!

I am feeling worried about my husband. He has gained a lot of weight recently. His dad died in his early sixties from weight related diabetes and heart complications. My husband has major texture aversions and pretty much eats only processed foods except for the salsa he makes from scratch every week ( with corn chips) and his meal replacement raw meal shakes of which he has several. Other than that, its tombstone pizzas, pizza rolls, chicken nuggets, corn chips, beef jerky, dry cereal, and cookies or smarties. It is hard to watch and handle lately. I also feel I can't really say anything as I am "intuitively" enjoying a bowl of ice cream or a big helping of pasta alfredo.

My husband has always talked about his blood sugar problems and having to eat every few hours. He laughs at my idea of only eating when Im hungry and thinks I am a weirdo for following that. In fact just this morning we had a conversation about it. I don't even think he knows when he is hungry. He rides his bike about 30 miles a week and refuses to believe me that that alone will keep his weight down and him healthy.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. I am not sure what to do but it helps to talk about it.
What a predicament. Unfortunately there is not much you can do, especially if he has a medical condition with this aversion to texture. Which makes me wonder, I feel that in recent years people have been expressing their food dislikes in strange ways. Everybody is throwing out words like "intolerance" "sensitive" "allergic" "addicted" and "averse" when it comes to food. To me, I don't understand what role these words play in how we handle food. I can understand someone being lactose intolerant, or allergic to peanuts, but I know lots of people who say they are sensitive to gluten or averse to texture, or in some cases claim they have a bad reaction to a certain food. It's a very complicated way to form a relationship with food and find it especially strange if it stems from a very simple "I don't like it." Isn't this just dysfunctional eating behavior?

So I'll admit here that I do indeed have food rules. One, is "NO NIGHT EATING." It just gets me into trouble and I always regret it. There are times I am hungry at night and eat when I need to if it's from hunger but 9 times out of 10 I'm bored and want to stress eat after hours. The other rule is EAT VEGGIES NO MATTER WHAT! It's not like I force myself to eat salads instead of burgers but I will force myself to eat a salad in addition to my burger. Every meal must have vegetables in it. It's non negotiable. I happen to like veggies but even so, I don't always feel like eating them but I make myself do it anyway. I can have the fries, but I must have the broccoli too. Pay the piper, get the nutrients in, take the pill and don't ask questions. There is no health without vegetables
There is no health without vegetables

Know what I mean? So whatever your husband has to do, getting veggies in is important. If it's a texture aversion drink them in a juice, pulverize them and hide them in the sauce or in a meatloaf, or dice them up finely over the tombstone (I love tombstone pizza, best frozen pizza there is). Does this make any sense? I'm of the mind that grown ups have to do grown up stuff, we have to pay our taxes, we have to go to work, we have to fold the laundry, and we have to eat veggies. Don't think about it too much just do it. Eat the broccoli and chase it with a chicken nugget.

Last edited by Palestrina; 11-21-2016 at 07:09 PM.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:04 PM   #17  

I wish there were a like button.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:41 PM   #18  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palestrina View Post
What a predicament. Unfortunately there is not much you can do, especially if he has a medical condition with this aversion to texture. Which makes me wonder, I feel that in recent years people have been expressing their food dislikes in strange ways. Everybody is throwing out words like "intolerance" "sensitive" "allergic" "addicted" and "averse" when it comes to food. To me, I don't understand what role these words play in how we handle food. I can understand someone being lactose intolerant, or allergic to peanuts, but I know lots of people who say they are sensitive to gluten or averse to texture, or in some cases claim they have a bad reaction to a certain food. It's a very complicated way to form a relationship with food and find it especially strange if it stems from a very simple "I don't like it." Isn't this just dysfunctional eating behavior?

So I'll admit here that I do indeed have food rules. One, is "NO NIGHT EATING." It just gets me into trouble and I always regret it. There are times I am hungry at night and eat when I need to if it's from hunger but 9 times out of 10 I'm bored and want to stress eat after hours. The other rule is EAT VEGGIES NO MATTER WHAT! It's not like I force myself to eat salads instead of burgers but I will force myself to eat a salad in addition to my burger. Every meal must have vegetables in it. It's non negotiable. I happen to like veggies but even so, I don't always feel like eating them but I make myself do it anyway. I can have the fries, but I must have the broccoli too. Pay the piper, get the nutrients in, take the pill and don't ask questions. There is no health without vegetables

Know what I mean? So whatever your husband has to do, getting veggies in is important. If it's a texture aversion drink them in a juice, pulverize them and hide them in the sauce or in a meatloaf, or dice them up finely over the tombstone (I love tombstone pizza, best frozen pizza there is). Does this make any sense? I'm of the mind that grown ups have to do grown up stuff, we have to pay our taxes, we have to go to work, we have to fold the laundry, and we have to eat veggies. Don't think about it too much just do it. Eat the broccoli and chase it with a chicken nugget.
Thank you for your thoughts. You could be right. My husband and my daughters have weird sensory issues that I think could be at play in their eating. I don't have sensory issues so I don't quite get it. But, I have seen my husband chew up a broccoli stem(with loathing) so I know he can do it. He is drinking his meal replacement shakes which supposedly have all kinds of dehydrated veggie goodness so its been hard to convince him to eat "extra" veggies. But I will make a concerted effort.

I have the same food rules as you. I try to eat veggies with lunch and dinner almost every day and I try not to eat at night.

Thanks for your thoughts Palestrina.
Pinkhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:17 PM   #19  

I HAVEN'T BEEN HUNGRY ALL DAY. Tomorrow is a new day.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:10 PM   #20  

I never eat on Tday, it's just a day with much excitement and too much excitement doesn't warrant eating for me. It's the leftovers that I have a problem with.
Old 11-25-2016, 10:06 AM   #21  

Don't know how you do it.
Old 11-25-2016, 10:08 AM   #22  

We don't have left over.............40 people for dinner.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:31 AM   #23  

How is everyone doing after Thanksgiving? I'm a little bloated but I can safely say I don't want any more apple pie. For a while.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:28 PM   #24  

What a week. It's good to go back to being hungry.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:36 PM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palestrina View Post
How is everyone doing after Thanksgiving? I'm a little bloated but I can safely say I don't want any more apple pie. For a while.

lol totally agree only in my case, its pumpkin pie and pecan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
What a week. It's good to go back to being hungry.
I know! I have really enjoyed being hungry all this week. There was so much food everywhere this Thanksgiving weekend that it was hard to ever be hungry, I was constantly nibbling.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:47 PM   #26  

I have experienced a shift in my thinking. I kind of went through a phase where i felt like I really wanted to lose weight and read diet books and it was really hard to keep myself away from them, and I was weighing myself often. I gave myself food rules in the framework of IE and I got really into it.

Then something shifted and I can't stand another food rule ever again. I don't want to read diet books, I don't even want to read IE books right now. I have stopped focusing on my weight, and I also stopped weighing myself. I have tailored work pants and they are a true size 12. I also have some 20 year old jeans from express that are size 12. (real size 12) As long as they fit, or are a little loose, I am happy. I think my body weight has remained pretty stable since I stopped weighing myself.

I can't even read any of the other threads here at 3fc because it makes me so sad to see what people are willing to do to try to change their weight. I recognize that health issues can cause us to need to reduce our body size, but I just don't think diets are the way to do it. Anyway, I feel pretty content right now. In the back of my mind of course I would like to lose another 10 pounds but I am just done not accepting my body the way it is and trying to change it. SOOOOOOO done. NOw I am striving to accept my body just as it is. Hand in hand with this I think goes getting older. I am 41 next year and I have been struggling to accept that yes I DO look older. My face is not the same as it was even 10 years ago and that is ok! I am older. Self acceptance is the name of the game for me right now.

I have also been striving to feel more gratitude and enjoy my life more. I try to look at what I can be grateful for as much as possible, especially when I start feeling negative. I think that has really helped too.

Anyway, I hope everyone is doing well! I know we all struggle with our journey, but hopefully we are continuing to move forward, inch by incremental inch.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:49 AM   #27  

Pinkhippie I'm so envious of the place you are in right now. I think I'm back at square one, only heavier than ever. I'm back in the throes of my eating disorder and hating my body terribly. Only now I feel worse because I know better and I should do better. In all honesty I think I am battling depression so I'm looking into finding a therapist that can help me with that. I have had bouts of depression before and have always managed to stay away from medication but I think I will agree to it this time. Anything to make it better at this point.

I've subscribed to a lot of Health at Every Size bloggers on social media and have recently started reading the comments. It depresses me to no end. People are so hateful of fat bodies, and those are just the people who speak out against being fat, I suspect that most people really truly hate fat people and are disgusted by us. I see it, I experience it, and I believe it. These social bloggers are beautiful women wearing beautiful clothes and they are torn to bits by fat shamers. If I never hear the phrase "glorifying obesity" ever again it will be too soon. Hating fat people is the only type of hatred that is sanctioned in our society.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:45 AM   #28  

Just returned from my FIL funeral. I feel that I'm all mixed up eating wise.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:48 AM   #29  

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
Just returned from my FIL funeral. I feel that I'm all mixed up eating wise.
So sorry for your loss. It's a difficult time and grieving has its own effect on our bodies. Be compassionate with yourself, always.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:17 PM   #30  

I can't seem to find hunger and it worries me.