General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:54 PM   #61  
Started 4th of July

S/C/G: 180/168/140

Height: 5'6"

WoW Lilian,,,,Go Girl!

Smaven, I liked that he said you lose anyway no matter what you eat, just HFLC helps some. I have a low carb WOE, but not VLC and moderate fat. Today I'm going for my first 24 hours since starting this. I keep wanting to break early but I must remember what Butter Bob says.....The best food to eat to lose weight is none at all! So I hear my fat cells screaming right now, and they are saying I'm melting, I'm melting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPO43kCh3_c

How are you doing LoveMyLife?
FinallyFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:41 AM   #62  

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyFree View Post

Smaven, I liked that he said you lose anyway no matter what you eat, just HFLC helps some. I have a low carb WOE, but not VLC and moderate fat. Today I'm going for my first 24 hours since starting this. I keep wanting to break early but I must remember what Butter Bob says.....The best food to eat to lose weight is none at all! So I hear my fat cells screaming right now, and they are saying I'm melting, I'm melting!
LOL that's what I do when I get hungry, esp. if my stomach is making those funny noises it makes when it is truly empty. I just imagine it digesting my fat!

So FinallyFree, how did the day ultimately go?
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:50 AM   #63  
lovemylife001

S/C/G: 180/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7

Good Morning Everyone

I hope that everyone is doing great. I'm doing a 24 hour fast today and I plan on sticking to it. I'm a stress eater so work stresses me out most of the time lol. Come on retirement and then I'll go volunteer at an animal shelter. I just love those furbaby's

FinallyFree How did the fast go? I'm sure you did fine. Once you start doing them it's like nothing.

SMaven

Have a great day everyone. I'll be back later. It's time
lovemylife001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:25 PM   #64  

I believe that one of the reasons this method is easier for me is the fact that I absolutely LOVE black coffee. I drink it all morning and afternoon; have for many years. I've been drinking my coffee black since I was 18 years old - I started drinking it black my freshman year in college. It's definitely an appetite suppressant for me, although drinking it doesn't get rid of hunger completely. But it's something I can put in my mouth (and my stomach!) without having to worry about breaking my fast, and since I am so very fond of it I have something to enjoy without eating.

I've seen discussions on other forums about how people find it so hard to fast because they simply CANNOT go without their coffee (I can relate!) but that they also cannot drink it black and must at least have some cream in it. So that technically breaks the fast.

I also wanted to mention that as I said in a previous post, I got off-track and wasn't sticking to the OMAD for several days. I was dreading starting over because I know how hard it was when I first started OMAD, but I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't hard at all. I fell right back into this WOE as if I'd never stopped. That's encouraging.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:01 PM   #65  

Hope everyone is having a good day.

I told my husband that we are going to go to Longhorn Steakhouse this evening for supper. I need to take some photos of their steaks for a sweepstakes (well, I could just take a photo of my own steak cooking, but that's no fun!), so it sounded like as good a reason as any to go.

They have a garlic/olive/mustard salad dressing that is absolutely delicious. I have been pretty inspired by Butter Bob's videos, so in addition to doing OMAD I am going to try and kick it into overdrive by also sticking to a HFLC diet. So I'll eliminate the croutons on my salad, not eat bread, and substitute the asparagus for the baked potato. (The salad dressing is an oil based dressing).

I know this is also the regimen that Dr. Fung recommends, but for some reason it just seems to resonate more when I watch Butter Bob's videos. Maybe it's because of his success, maybe it's his down-home demeanor, I don't know...but I've promised myself that I will do it for 30 days and see if it produces significant results. If I can just make it through those low-carb flu days, I'll be okay.

Hopefully this one-two punch will get me going and get my A1C and fasting blood sugar numbers down to a more reasonable level.

Oh, and maybe I'll lose some weight too!
Old 06-25-2016, 12:24 AM   #66  
lovemylife001

Good Late Evening Everyone

I'm still here everyone. I got home from work so late last night and was exhausted.

Smaven Did you start the HFLC yet? I will join you? I will start on Monday. Can you give me some examples of what you are eating? Thanks and I look forward to it. I love challenges.

Finally Free How's everything going for you? Have you done another 24 hour fast? I'm doing mines on Tuesday's and Thursday's. Next Tuesday we are having an ice cream social at work, so I'm glad that's my fast day lol. I'm not touching that ice cream, I'll just lol

Have a great night everyone. I'll be back tomorrow
Old 06-25-2016, 02:09 AM   #67  
NewB'day:27Jun16

S/C/G: 233.4/231.2/199

Height: 5ft 3in

Awrighty, I've been thinking about some form of IF and decided to make the plunge--step aside ladies, I'm jumping in the pool with you! (if that's ok?)

I started eating breakfast as a weight loss strategy...following "sound" advice from others who had success. Not sure that was the right approach for me--I was never a breakfast person before. So now I have this habit of eating small amounts all during the day, and never eating meals. I don't want to eat meals, as I don't like to feel full; I just want the longer fasting periods. I wonder if my dietary habits might be contributing to circadian rhythm issues.

So today, no breakfast. And a late "lunch", followed by a big slice of watermelon at 8pm, and some watered-down milk at ~11....so I'm not very good at keeping to a narrow window yet....habits and all....
SeeMyFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:46 AM   #68  
lovemylife001

Good Saturday Morning Everyone

I hope that everyone has a great weekend. We are expecting temps in the 90's all weekend. Really not my kind of weather lol. But I take the heat over snow anyday lol.

Seemyfeet Welcome to the pool party You can do this and it will get easier and easier. Like you said I was never a breakfast person either. I'm just not hungry in the mornings. So the form of fasting I'm currently doing now is eat stop eat. I've done them all lol. I really like the Fast5, the eating window is only 5 hours and it works out great. I'm going to go back to that method later this year once Fall approaches. I'm sure that you're going to do fantastic

Have a great Saturday everyone
Old 06-25-2016, 01:57 PM   #69  

Welcome, SeeMyFeet! Glad to have you here!

I'm like you - never been a breakfast eater. So IF is a natural fit for me. I decided to move to the one meal a day form of IF because I sort of stumbled across it a while back and realized it's a very good WOE for me. The less I have to think about and/or prepare meals the better off I am.

But I believe the research is pretty compelling that any of the various forms of fasting currently being practiced are beneficial. I love this Butter Bob video, because he puts it so succinctly: (credit to FinallyFree who already posted this video, but it's so good I wanted to share it again):

https://youtu.be/NgvCH6mgPk0?list=PL...yslVJ7F4uInIkX

His other fasting videos are excellent as well, but I agree that even eating carbs but fasting 24 hours is more effective than doing low-carb and eating throughout the day. You just have to get your body in fat-burning mode, and he has another video that goes through a detailed study about the effectiveness of this. (Fasting and the 50% Insulin Problem).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylife001 View Post

So the form of fasting I'm currently doing now is eat stop eat. I've done them all lol. I really like the Fast5, the eating window is only 5 hours and it works out great. I'm going to go back to that method later this year once Fall approaches. I'm sure that you're going to do fantastic
lovemylife, can you remind me of the difference in the two plans (Eat Stop Eat vs Fast5)? I know I've read about both of them but can't remember

I'm assuming Fast5 is a five hour window every day? And maybe Eat Stop Eat is where you eat a very small amount a few times a week?

Hope everyone's weekend is great!
Old 06-25-2016, 04:02 PM   #70  
Captain Prescriptivism

S/C/G: 235/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Hey, guys! I actually had no idea this was even a thing until I read this post, but it is exactly what I'm doing. Out of desperation, because I am not good at regulating my food intake if I can't pretend food doesn't exist most of the time, I've recently only been eating dinner. It has certainly worked to some extent- before, through about a year of diet attempts, I was continuing to gain a pound every nine days. Now that has stopped, and I'm hopeful that my weight may start to drop as I exercise more.

That is a problem I've been having, though. Since I started exercising consistently, I went from feeling totally fine on this diet to feeling dizzy, being mentally a bit slow, and feeling generally exhausted and terrible all the time. My joints are aching also, which usually happens to me when I'm tired or hungry. I've added some supplements (magnesium, potassium, vitamin D and iron) to try to combat this on the off chance that I'm not choosing the contents of my one meal a day well and I'm missing nutrients, but it's too early to tell what's going to happen.

Do any of you guys have this problem? If you do, I'd love to hear any solutions you've come up with!

Anyway, it's great to meet other people with the same meal plan, and I wish all of you luck!
ImpalaHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:50 PM   #71  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylife001 View Post
Good Late Evening Everyone

Smaven Did you start the HFLC yet? I will join you? I will start on Monday. Can you give me some examples of what you are eating? Thanks and I look forward to it. I love challenges.
lovemylife, I have absolutely no IDEA how I missed this earlier. I promise I wasn't ignoring your question - I just didn't see it!

I started yesterday evening with our meal at LongHorn - 6 oz filet, salad with no croutons and the oil-based dressing that they have, and asparagus in place of a potato. Then today I just finished eating some of the fried chicken (without breading, of course) that Butter Bob Briggs illustrates in his video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyUV9Q33l04

OMG - can I tell you how delicious it is??? I did everything exactly as he showed (although I am pretty familiar with frying chicken and knowing how to determine if the lard is hot enough as well as knowing when chicken is cooked - I'm a Southerner, after all! LOL) I even went to WalMart and got the same lard he has, the Kerrygold butter, the whole bit. The only difference is that I used garlic powder instead of garlic salt because that's what I had.

I ate a bit earlier than I usually do, but that's because my husband is working today and won't be home until 7:00 p.m. I try to eat with him when he's home but when he's not I generally eat earlier. I would have waited a bit longer but I was just dying to try some chicken!

So it's only been two days that I have been on HFLC. I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes for me. I look forward to hearing of your experiences as well.

I'm hopeful that the one-two punch of OMAD along with HFLC will get my blood sugar lowered.
Old 06-25-2016, 05:55 PM   #72  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpalaHoarder View Post
Hey, guys! I actually had no idea this was even a thing until I read this post, but it is exactly what I'm doing. Out of desperation, because I am not good at regulating my food intake if I can't pretend food doesn't exist most of the time, I've recently only been eating dinner. It has certainly worked to some extent- before, through about a year of diet attempts, I was continuing to gain a pound every nine days. Now that has stopped, and I'm hopeful that my weight may start to drop as I exercise more.

That is a problem I've been having, though. Since I started exercising consistently, I went from feeling totally fine on this diet to feeling dizzy, being mentally a bit slow, and feeling generally exhausted and terrible all the time. My joints are aching also, which usually happens to me when I'm tired or hungry. I've added some supplements (magnesium, potassium, vitamin D and iron) to try to combat this on the off chance that I'm not choosing the contents of my one meal a day well and I'm missing nutrients, but it's too early to tell what's going to happen.

Do any of you guys have this problem? If you do, I'd love to hear any solutions you've come up with!

Anyway, it's great to meet other people with the same meal plan, and I wish all of you luck!
Welcome, ImpalaHoarder! So glad you found your way here.

I'm sorry you're having some physical problems as a result of OMAD. I will admit that I've not been exercising very much at all, but even when I was eating carbs I noticed that eating one meal a day actually INCREASED my energy level. I didn't get sluggish in the afternoon like I did when I was eating thoughout the day.

The only supplement I take is Vitamin D, per my primary physician. Oh, and I also take Biotin because I am currently on statins and I am losing some hair. I am hopeful that I can get off of them once I get my weight down.

How long have you been eating only dinner?
Old 06-25-2016, 06:23 PM   #73  
Captain Prescriptivism

S/C/G: 235/180/135

Height: 5'3"

SouthernMaven: About a month. I'm extremely happy that I've stopped gaining weight, so we'll just have to see if the exercise sorts itself out. It may well be that this is just what it feels like to be really tired and I forgot since I haven't exercised much recently.
ImpalaHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:54 PM   #74  
lovemylife001

Good Evening Everyone

SMaven I knew that you weren't ignoring me lol. Thanks for answering my question, I'm ready to get the show on the road I'm sure that this WOE is going to help your blood sugar tremendously I'm starting on Monday. I went grocery shopping today so I'm all set. Fast5 is where you just eat within a five our window and eat stop eat is where you do a 24 hour fast twice per week. I find them both easy to do. I really love IF

ImpalaHoarder to the thread. It's so nice to meet you. I don't have any of the symptoms that you are having. I feel so great when I do any form of IF, it's when I stop that I feel like crap lol. I hope those things pass for you, maybe your body just needs some time to get use to it.

Off to do chores. Have a great evening everyone
Old 06-26-2016, 02:25 AM   #75  
NewB'day:27Jun16

S/C/G: 233.4/231.2/199

Height: 5ft 3in

Results from today (actually yesterday, since it's so late): eggs and cereal and tea at 11:30, some watermelon and one pita with hummus in the afternoon, got some exercise in and meant to have the window closed at 5:30, but had a bite (or three) of DH's steak at 6:30 before I left for a party. I successfully ignored all the food and drink at the party, came home early, and cleaned and laundered all night. Thennnn...had two glasses of my milk concoction (1t sugar & 1T cocoa in watered-down 2% milk)--because I just couldn't deal with the grumpiness. So, not the best choices of food, due to poor planning, and punching myself for having the milk so late. Not sure if this half-baked version of IF is gonna work for me.
SeeMyFeet is offline   Reply With Quote