General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 02-19-2016, 01:51 PM   #1  

Default Introduction & General Questions :)

Hi everyone! I am new to this site (although I have visited it here and there for information you all are always very helpful and honest). I'll give you a little backstory, I am 23 years old and I work a sit down office job. Back in 2014 I went on a weight loss drug called Qsymia and with the help of that and eating relatively low carb I lost nearly 35 lbs (going from 213 to 180). Well I fell off the wagon when I went back to school and ever since starting this new job and having a relatively sedentary lifestyle I am very sad to say I am back up to 210 lbs. Gaining 30 lbs over the course of a year is devastating to me when I worked so hard to lose it.

My job has a personal trainer who comes by Monday through Thursday to have group fitness classes with us (I have started attending those more regularly lately) and he also does personalized meal plans based on BMR. Based on his recommendations, if I wanted to lose approximately 2 lbs per week I would need to eat about 1200 calories per day.

I am not objective to this, I am just looking to make it as easy as possible. I was thinking about replacing my breakfast and lunch during the week (or possibly the weekend as well) with convenience meals such as Lean Cuisine or Healthy Choice and then having a more "hearty" dinner in the evenings. I was thinking by doing this I could keep my food intake to about 500-600 calories during the day and then eating the remaining calories at dinnertime when I cook a home cooked meal for my husband and I.

I wanted to get your thoughts on this matter, I know it's kind of extreme but to be honest I'm kind of desperate and I really need to learn portion control because obviously I didn't learn anything the first time.

I also know there's a diet out there called The Simple Diet, and I've considered following something close to that plan as well but with having a good dinner to keep myself satisfied and not feel like I'm eating processed food all day every day.

Let me know your thoughts and thank you in advance
rebeccachobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:06 AM   #2  

I don't eat processed foods. They are loaded with sodium, don't have enough protein and little veggies. I think 2 pounds a week is unrealistic for you to stick with over the long haul. I'd have him set it for 1 pound a week because you will lose more than that at the beginning and that is sustainable. Not eating enough during the day can also lead to eating way too much at night.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:20 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Sounds like a plan that would not work for me. Eat drastically low calories of yucky food all day and then expect not to overeat at night? Are you sure that won't backfire eventually? I'm sure it will and then you'll end up blaming yourself for the failure of this diet just like the last one.

Portion control is such a weird thing. Sometimes you need less and sometimes you need more than the designated "appropriate" or standard portion size. It seems like an arbitrary way to feed oneself.

Over time I've come to realize that I can't eat big dinners anymore. I just don't need a bunch of fuel right at the end of my day. I need fuel in the morning and at lunchtime and maybe even a snack though not often. Dinner is some veggies or a bowl of soup. I'm satisfied from my large meals in the daytime. It took a while to get to that point but you can too.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 188/186/170

Height: 5'8"

I work in the food industry and I am currently on a 1200 calorie diet that I started 3 days ago. It's tough, but I packed on 9 pounds in 6 months and I was up 10 from where I want to be.

I would classify myself as a platinum member on weight loss. I've tried all sorts of diets over the years, but back in college I dieted my way from 290 to 180.

I got down to 170 1.5 years ago doing a 900 calorie diet. It only took a month to lose it, but I packed it back on in six. This was with little working out.

What I learned from various experts (nutritionist, exercise gurus-trainers) is that it's nearly impossible to build muscle while trying to lose weight. Your better off trying one or the other. For a while I tried reducing my intake to 1600 and working out. I did this for 90 days. I didn't lose a pound! Maybe I was building muscle, but I just was super frustrated seeing that same number month after month. I was on a macro-nutrient diet and I kinda think I was cheating with booze and sabotaging myself.

This go around I'm older and know myself better. I know I will lose on a reduced calorie diet following a 30/30/40 protein/fat/carb guide. Myfitnesspal is the best! I used to have to keep a log with a nutrition book with me. As for exercise, my guy (he's dropping weight too) and I walk 2.33 miles (55 minutes) at least 5 days a week. We started this in January. The walking is enough to get you some cardio, but it doesn't leave you HUNGRY!
You MUST preplan your week's meals. Maybe not everyday specifically, but you need to keep lots of low cal stuff around. Sucks, but all those fitness people do it EVERYDAY of their lives. We can suck it up for a few months.
Another good tip is to figure out your eating habits. I love hot breakfast and if I don't get enough breakfast I obsess about food until I get a filling MEAL. I try to stick to 300 cals a meal and three 100 calorie snacks. BUT, I sneak in an 8oz glass of wine at night cause that's what mamma likes. So I try to not fill up all the meals to spare a few cals for my wine. There are 188 calories in an 8oz glass. If I run a bit over for the day, I figure I used up my walking calories.

Drink your 8 oz of water (I do lots of hot decaf tea.)

For me I've set a calendar count down for 60 days. Doing a 1200 calorie diet for longer than that might be asking for trouble. I'm on day 57! But, I can do this! I thinking I'll have a cheat meal next weekend. But that might just be because I'm obsessing about sushi right now.

Good luck! Do your research, and remember it's a simple input output calculation on weight loss, AND that 80% of weight loss is what you EAT!
RollerDerbyLexi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
healthy choice, lean cuisine, the simple diet