General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:22 AM   #286  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I'm sad to see everyone spiral into anger. Maybe dieters don't belong here, maybe IEers don't belong in a diet forum. What's the point of turning our backs on one another when we all really just want the same thing?

There are many threads on the forum that are not meant for me. People congratulating eachother for not eating carbs etc. I don't go on those threads because I have nothing to contribute, just like I don't walk into a church because I have nothing to gain or contribute from it. I leave it be and let those that participate in it do it in peace. A support thread is there for support. To go into a thread and dismiss their practices is unecessary trolling.

Beginme didn't mean harm, she just wants the thread to stay on course. There's no need to derail a thread and say that IE does not work. She used an unfortunate pairing of words about not following IE but that doesn't mean that everybody here is unsupportive or that IE sucks and to suggest it is immature and petty. And NOBODY asked anyone to leave.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:39 AM   #287  

Thank you, Palestrina.

Quote:
. I do want to say that it is really dangerous for you to tell someone who is diabetic, like me, who IS following IE according to Intuitive Eating by Tribole and Resch (as Locke points out they do give a guide in the back of their book) that
Please go back and read my post. I never advised anyone what food plan they should follow. In fact, I stated several times that different things work for different folks.

My two points were: 1. Provide a basic understanding of what IE is and resources for understanding it for those interested, and 2. that there are many, many sections and threads to this forum, but that this particular thread is about IE.

That's it.

Of course anyone and everyone is welcome to participate, I simply requested that everyone who does stick to the topic of IE.

In case you haven't seen it, there is an entire section of the forum devoted to diabetes support. Of course, as you pointed out, the only place for medical advice is your physician.

Again, sending well wishes to all and I certainly do apologize if the spirit of my prior post was missed due to wording.

Last edited by beginme; 12-02-2015 at 11:42 AM.
beginme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:01 PM   #288  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernMaven View Post
I haven't posted in a while because, well, I don't feel that I have much to contribute these days.

I also know that restricting will lead to overeating. It ALWAYS does.

Sometimes I find myself trying to justify dieting by promising myself that IF I lose the weight I need to lose, THEN I will practice IE.

Does anyone else find themselves doing that???

I'm really stuck these days, and I really don't know which way to turn.
I have those exact thoughts! I will do IE when I lose weight. I am just trying to be aware of hunger and fullness. I keep re-reading the same material to make sure it sticks in my head. Wish I had better advice. God Bless!
TamTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 01:33 PM   #289  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

Height: 5'2"

I've been having a pretty good few days. How has everyone else been?

There's a few hikes planned for the weekend, which is exciting! And I made scones last night. I haven't made scones in..oh gosh. Years! I was hungry before bed and I got to thinking about how when I was little, a warm scone with a cup of herbal tea was really nice. And it was.

Sometimes, it's the little things.

I know there's a few diabetics on this thread and my mom does the low carb thing. But she's found a few tricks around it. For example, she -loves- pancakes. Loves! So she makes them using egg whites, protein whey (I tried her pumpkin pie flavor and yum!) and some coconut flour, which is a very low carb option that tastes amazing.

While I'm not advocating getting rid of a food, I do understand that there's different strokes for different folks So, I'm all about throwing out an option that might help someone.
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:01 PM   #290  

Quote:
I haven't posted in a while because, well, I don't feel that I have much to contribute these days.

I also know that restricting will lead to overeating. It ALWAYS does.

Sometimes I find myself trying to justify dieting by promising myself that IF I lose the weight I need to lose, THEN I will practice IE.

Does anyone else find themselves doing that???
I too can relate to this. What is helping me right now is remembering that it is just part of the process. Even though we strive to practice IE, we are continually surrounded by the diet mentality. Advertising, friends, family, coworkers can all be triggers for the diet mentality....even though people tend to have the best of intentions.

IE is a long process, but I believe that it will ultimately lead me to a mind free from food obsession and a healthy body at whatever its natural set point is.

The more kind I am to myself, the better it seems to go, but lord knows I still have my moments..........

Last edited by beginme; 12-02-2015 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Typo
beginme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:53 PM   #291  

The thing is we want to lose weight and when we don't, what's left? When you've done IE a long time you just can't diet.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:12 PM   #292  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I enjoy reading this thread. I learn things from it. I do disagree with some things, and I know some disagree with things that I say, but I understand where you're coming from because I've been there. I have an eating disorder, but I have struggled with it for so many years it is not the problem it used to be. In my late 20s early 30s I was bulimic. After I got married I had to quit purging for fear he would hear me. That was when I started abusing laxatives, telling him I was always constipated. Finally I realized I was harming my body and I stopped. But I didn't stop bingeing. I binged myself into an 80 lb weight gain. I don't want to say what I was eating because I know that can be a trigger to some others. I now believe this is what led to my diabetes diagnosis. Even with the diagnosis I didn't stop bingeing. I tried all the diets with no luck. A few years ago I woke up and realized I could lose my eyesight or my feet. I started reading up about nutrition and started eating more vegetables. I was still eating the foods that raised my blood sugar, but I found over time that they were losing their appeal. I was losing my cravings for sweets, etc but I was still eating too much, way past the point of being satisfied. It was just in the past few months that I have started waiting until I'm actually hungry to eat, rather than eating because it's time to eat. Or because someone else is eating. Stopping when satisfied is a little bit harder for me, but I'm still working on it. About eating what I want. Because of my diabetes I have to limit, but not eliminate starchy carbs and sweets. So far it has not led to overeating, maybe because I do eat them occasionally in very small portions. My DH buys tons of sweets. Sometimes I will break off a piece of a donut. One bite. It doesn't trigger a binge. I still eat pasta, just not as much or as often as I did before. I have found out that there are so many good foods that I can enjoy eating, it no longer bothers me that it's not in my best interest to share a pizza with my DH. I can have wings instead. I feel that I have pretty much beaten my ED, but I know it is sometimes standing in the corner laughing at me. I just stick my tongue out! I still feel that I am doing IE. I am restricting, yes, but I don't consider it a diet or diet mentality. I have no forbidden foods, just some that I have to limit, so that I can continue to see and walk.

I think it's possible to follow IE AND lose weight, at least I sure hope so. I feel that you don't always have to give in to a craving...sometimes it's enough to know that you can have it if you want it. That might not apply to someone who is still deeply into an ED, so please don't jump all over me. It's just that for me, as I'm starting to leave my ED behind, that's good enough for me.

Please don't make me sorry that I shared this story. It wasn't easy.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:34 PM   #293  
I am more than weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
I enjoy reading this thread. I learn things from it. I do disagree with some things, and I know some disagree with things that I say, but I understand where you're coming from because I've been there. I have an eating disorder, but I have struggled with it for so many years it is not the problem it used to be. In my late 20s early 30s I was bulimic. After I got married I had to quit purging for fear he would hear me. That was when I started abusing laxatives, telling him I was always constipated. Finally I realized I was harming my body and I stopped. But I didn't stop bingeing. I binged myself into an 80 lb weight gain. I don't want to say what I was eating because I know that can be a trigger to some others. I now believe this is what led to my diabetes diagnosis. Even with the diagnosis I didn't stop bingeing. I tried all the diets with no luck. A few years ago I woke up and realized I could lose my eyesight or my feet. I started reading up about nutrition and started eating more vegetables. I was still eating the foods that raised my blood sugar, but I found over time that they were losing their appeal. I was losing my cravings for sweets, etc but I was still eating too much, way past the point of being satisfied. It was just in the past few months that I have started waiting until I'm actually hungry to eat, rather than eating because it's time to eat. Or because someone else is eating. Stopping when satisfied is a little bit harder for me, but I'm still working on it. About eating what I want. Because of my diabetes I have to limit, but not eliminate starchy carbs and sweets. So far it has not led to overeating, maybe because I do eat them occasionally in very small portions. My DH buys tons of sweets. Sometimes I will break off a piece of a donut. One bite. It doesn't trigger a binge. I still eat pasta, just not as much or as often as I did before. I have found out that there are so many good foods that I can enjoy eating, it no longer bothers me that it's not in my best interest to share a pizza with my DH. I can have wings instead. I feel that I have pretty much beaten my ED, but I know it is sometimes standing in the corner laughing at me. I just stick my tongue out! I still feel that I am doing IE. I am restricting, yes, but I don't consider it a diet or diet mentality. I have no forbidden foods, just some that I have to limit, so that I can continue to see and walk.

I think it's possible to follow IE AND lose weight, at least I sure hope so. I feel that you don't always have to give in to a craving...sometimes it's enough to know that you can have it if you want it. That might not apply to someone who is still deeply into an ED, so please don't jump all over me. It's just that for me, as I'm starting to leave my ED behind, that's good enough for me.

Please don't make me sorry that I shared this story. It wasn't easy.
Thank you for sharing!!!! I too have diabetes. I do ok with waiting for hunger, but satisfaction and fullness are tricky for me. I try and serve myself portions that should fill up without overeating, but with the knowledge that if I am still hungry I can have more. I also cannot let hubby serve me, he puts too much on the plate! I try to be careful with the carbs, but still allow myself to have them, just try not to overdo them - not an easy task!! Again thank you for sharing, it is a blessing to me!
Old 12-02-2015, 09:57 PM   #294  

S/C/G: 134.4/149/114

Height: 5'2.5"

Hello everyone. New here. I had a funny, serendipitous journey here. I joined WW online a few weeks ago (I'm a lifetime member) and noticed that even when I kept to my points the sweets that I would eat were beginning to throw me for a loop. So the other day I googled "low carb and ww" and came across a post from about 3 years ago by someone named Spryng. I started to read all of her posts and eventually she had joined an IE forum and I read all her posts and others there. I had never heard of IE per se but years ago I had read all the Geneen Roth books and not too long ago I was following Little Black Dress. Anyway I tried both methods back then but found myself just going overboard once there were no rules. I just downloaded "You Can Have Your Cake and Wear Skinny Jeans Too" which Spryng recommended and although I need to go back and read the IE bible I just started doing the eat when you're hungry, stop when satisfied, pay attention to your food desires and although it is kind of hard to get out of that diet mentality (how many calories) and logging every morsel I really feel like this time I can make it. The holidays have been looming and I've almost resented having to go to parties etc (all the temptation) and suddenly I've got a whole new attitude. I can do it. I can have what I want, whatever I want just as long as I'm hungry and just as long as I stop not when full but someplace before full. I think I read something about "last supper" and finally I believe it. I feel like I've been let out of prison, the diet prison. Thanks for reading.
TinyDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:45 PM   #295  
I am more than weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyDancer View Post
Hello everyone. New here. I had a funny, serendipitous journey here. I joined WW online a few weeks ago (I'm a lifetime member) and noticed that even when I kept to my points the sweets that I would eat were beginning to throw me for a loop. So the other day I googled "low carb and ww" and came across a post from about 3 years ago by someone named Spryng. I started to read all of her posts and eventually she had joined an IE forum and I read all her posts and others there. I had never heard of IE per se but years ago I had read all the Geneen Roth books and not too long ago I was following Little Black Dress. Anyway I tried both methods back then but found myself just going overboard once there were no rules. I just downloaded "You Can Have Your Cake and Wear Skinny Jeans Too" which Spryng recommended and although I need to go back and read the IE bible I just started doing the eat when you're hungry, stop when satisfied, pay attention to your food desires and although it is kind of hard to get out of that diet mentality (how many calories) and logging every morsel I really feel like this time I can make it. The holidays have been looming and I've almost resented having to go to parties etc (all the temptation) and suddenly I've got a whole new attitude. I can do it. I can have what I want, whatever I want just as long as I'm hungry and just as long as I stop not when full but someplace before full. I think I read something about "last supper" and finally I believe it. I feel like I've been let out of prison, the diet prison. Thanks for reading.
Welcome to the forum!! There are some really great posts here. You can learn a lot from the posts. We are all more or less in the same boat as the saying goes. Have a blessed day!
Old 12-03-2015, 12:52 PM   #296  
I am more than weight.

Default Book Suggestion

I know that Geneen Roth has a few books. For those of you who have read her books, which one do you feel deals the most with IE? Thanks. Have a blessed day.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:36 PM   #297  

S/C/G: 134.4/149/114

Height: 5'2.5"

Feeding the Hungry Heart is one I read.
TinyDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:48 PM   #298  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamTam View Post
I know that Geneen Roth has a few books. For those of you who have read her books, which one do you feel deals the most with IE? Thanks. Have a blessed day.
You know, I realize that Geneen Roth has a faithful following, and I know she's written a lot about the subject of IE. I guess it's just a classic case of "different strokes for different folks," but I purchased one of her books from Amazon and found it almost unreadable. In fact, I actually returned it - something I have never done before.

It was Breaking Free From Emotional Eating, as I recall.

Perhaps her other books are better, I don't know.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 02:03 PM   #299  
I am more than weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernMaven View Post
You know, I realize that Geneen Roth has a faithful following, and I know she's written a lot about the subject of IE. I guess it's just a classic case of "different strokes for different folks," but I purchased one of her books from Amazon and found it almost unreadable. In fact, I actually returned it - something I have never done before.

It was Breaking Free From Emotional Eating, as I recall.

Perhaps her other books are better, I don't know.
Thanks for the input. I am just trying to decide if I want to read her books or not. I was always under the impression that she was kind of new age, but again I could be wrong on that front. Blessings
Old 12-03-2015, 02:51 PM   #300  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

Height: 5'2"

I've been reading a book called It Was Me All Along by Andie Mitchell. While it's not an IE how to, or a diet book. It is heart wrenching, painful and intense.

And I related to it. I think a lot of us could and can.

But then I've also been reading He Killed Them All by Jeanine Pirro. So maybe my book taste is a little off kilter

I hope everyone is having a fantastic end to their week.
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote