General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:35 PM   #1  
300+ Chick

Exclamation Scale Addict!!

Hi... My name is Liliann and I am a very much scale addict!! I weigh at night, and morning and gaining. I tried to wait for a week or a month, but for me, it gives me permisson to overeat. I wish I can break the daily scale habit.

I am struggle and really want to lose weight, but need to see a weight loss trend on my efforts quick. I have no friends offline, to do weight buddies with and so alone and need to do this.

Any dealing with this horrible addiction? How do you stop? I would stop, but only if I give up the weight battle. Any tips on how to weigh in like a normal human being??

Thank you for listening.
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I log my calories everyday, and try to get to the gym at least 5 times per week. I figure the weight will move or it won't, but the number on the scale won't change anything but my attitude.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 208/143/150

Height: 5'6"

liliann,

Why are you so negative about weighing daily? Okay, maybe weighing more than once a day is a bit much, but I have found that losing a pretty big chunk and maintaining my weight loss for almost 6 years has required strict vigilance. And that has included weighing every morning & keeping a food diary. The times I have started to slip in these areas have been when the weight started to creep back on. Thankfully, I've never gone above my 5 Lb. limit during maintenance. Losing weight & keeping it off, for me, has required an extraordinary level of commitment. Please don't feel bad about keeping an eye on the scale. If you are going to weigh that often, try to use it as a learning tool instead of beating yourself up. Good luck.
joyful retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:21 PM   #4  
300+ Chick

Thank you..
Old 04-09-2015, 03:27 PM   #5  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyful retiree View Post
If you are going to weigh that often, try to use it as a learning tool instead of beating yourself up. Good luck.
This. I also agree that instead of changing your weighing habit, you should focus on changing your mindset. I learned early on that successful maintainers tend to weigh daily, so why not start that habit before I'm maintaining? The key is how you react.

I wish I knew exactly how you change your mindset on that, though. I'm sure it is much easier said than done.

Here's what I do though - I weigh and log my weight daily, but my lowest weight of the week is what I consider my "official" weigh-in, so that's the number I use to compare. Others take a weekly average which is another great way to do it. Then, if at the end of the week you notice your weight is up from the previous week, make an action plan. Review what you did that week and what you could do differently so that the following week is different.

You've got this Liliann.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:44 PM   #6  
300+ Chick

Thanks...Its a learning trend that am focusing on...and I weigh in the afternoon more and morning less. ..So it looks like I weigh once, in the mornings.

I grateful all of your input!!
Old 04-10-2015, 02:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 167/re-start:153/ticker/125

Height: 5'4

I weigh 5 days a week (no weighing on the weekends) and average my weight from those 5 days so that I can tell from week to week whether there is any change.

I agree with others that I think that weighing nearly everyday has really helped me with my weight loss. My advice is to try and weigh in at the same time every day. I weigh in every morning, in my underwear, before I eat breakfast -- your weight will fluctuate throughout the day, so weighing more than once a day probably won't tell you anything useful. I also track my weight month to month by averaging all of the weeks within a month and comparing it to the previous month, this helps me see if I am moving in the right direction overall.

As others have said, you should focus on using it as a tool to track progress, but not the end all. Some progress isn't scale-measurable.
seize the day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:53 PM   #8  
Hungry for Health! (-:

S/C/G: 141/108.8/BMI above 18.49

Height: 5'2"

Question

So much good advice above! You can tell you're very serious, Lilliann - oh, I just realized your name is probably pronounced "Lily Ann" - that's beautiful! You just need to fine-tune your approach. You will discover the perfect plan for you!

Mine is a little strict. I MUST lose point four pounds a week. I get all the calories I'm supposed to have in a week, but I keep it low until I make weight. Then I get two splurge days a week.

As far as the scale goes: After my second splurge day, which is usually Saturday, I go back to a lower number of calories every day until I get that point four pound weight loss. And I exercise to make sure I get there. I weigh myself every day until I make it, then leave off weighing until the splurge days are over.

The only time I weigh myself more than once, usually, is on my official weigh day, if I don't make weight the first time. I exercise for an hour, then weigh myself again, etc.

I'm a little confused - just to clarify, how does weighing in give you permission to eat?

Last edited by HungerWerks; 04-10-2015 at 04:59 PM.
HungerWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:06 PM   #9  
300+ Chick

Werks...If I do not check in the scale daily, I tend to overeat,,boredom..I guess..Thanks for your input.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:38 AM   #10  
Less of a Better Me

I personally weigh every morning. It doesn't do much good to weigh later in the day since by then you have eaten. But, I think morning weighing each day is worthwhile. I like seeing the daily fluctuation. It desensitizes me too them.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:03 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

The more I weigh myself the more obsessive I get. I find it best to keep the scale hidden in my basement inside a suitcase in the closet. Whenever I go fish it out it means I'm feeling a lot of stress and need to "CONTROL" something - since I have a hard time controlling things in my life I always fall back on controlling my weight. It's pathetic really.

I broke my addiction to weighing by getting rid of the scale and just dealing with the stress I felt from not knowing how much I weighed every day. The scale now has become much more than something that tracks my weight. It's a source of stress in itself, and I now understand the signs of obsession when they creep back in. Right now for example is a really stressful time in my life - work is crazy and I'm being pulled in 17 different directions - so the past couple of weeks my scale has made it up the stairs and into my bathroom where I weight myself every day. It's a source of stress I can't seem to avoid every morning (no way I'd weigh myself in the afternoon, how can you deal with the higher number??), and I'm just biding my time until everything calms down and I can go back to not worrying about my weight.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote