General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:51 PM   #1  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

Default Questions about Optifast/Medifast

Hello,

I am rejoining the world of dieting after gaining ALL my weight back. My doctor recommended I do a VLCD of optifast or medifast and I've called around but all the clinics are either full or totally out of my price range.

I'm wondering what sort of medical support they offer in the clinics? I know my doctor would be willing to help me and you can order the products online so I'm wondering if it's something him and I could do without the clinic?

Thanks!
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:53 PM   #2  
a work in progress

Just to be clear, he wants me on the very low calorie version, 800 or less.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:58 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Optifast is pretty pricey but some of that price comes from being monitored as well as from what I can tell, certain tests that are required (that your doctor could do).

Medifast is very inexpensive but not doctor supervised. If your doctor is willing to supervise you, then that could be an option.

Optifast also focuses on some of the mental issues involved with weight gain and food and has a much higher success rate than programs like Medifast.

Alternatively, not to minimize your struggle but you are less than 100 lbs overweight, why would your doctor want you on a VCLD? What did you do before to lose weight? Have you thought about seeing a therapist if you have specific food issues?

I mean my doctor told me a few years ago when I was struggling due to depression that maybe I should go on Medifast. That is all she kind of knew though (and honestly last time I saw her, I switched doctors due to that advice). For some it can help and there is even a subforum here dedicated to medifast.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:25 AM   #4  
a work in progress

nelie,

i am having some health related problems because of the weight and he does want me to lose about 85 lbs. maybe he's rounding up? lol

have you done either of these plans?
Old 02-24-2015, 08:10 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've known people who have done Optifast and had successful long term results.

I tried Medifast (well before my doctor recommended it) and I didn't care for it but I've had more success learning how to not binge, eating moderately, listening for hunger cues and all that.

You could look at the Medifast forum here to see others that are on it. Optifast also seems to be popular for people who are heading into WLSurgery especially since it seems to cover some of the behavioral issues as a result of overeating.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:22 PM   #6  
miamimelting

S/C/G: 239.5/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7

My Doctor recommended Optifast for me too and I only have 70lbs to lose. I have no health problems what-so-ever. I do well with structure, having few choices, and the accountability and supervision. It has worked well for me. I'm down 20lbs. My favorite part of the program is meeting with the nutritionist - there are a lot of psychological issues that go along with weight gain. So many treat it like it is just about eating right. If it were that simple everyone would lose weight and keep it off. There is a lot more to it and you need to figure out what your psychological relationship is with food and change it. I know I have a food addiction. The great part about Optifast is that it is all about the clean slate. You don't have any choices. It is only what the program provides. When you are done with the fast, you slowly start incorporating food back into your life in a healthy way. You have created a clean slate, you have worked on yourself psychologically as well. You can reintroduce food into your life and have the opportunity to learn how to have a healthy relationship with it. I think it is brilliant and the reason why so many people succeed keeping the weight off after the program is complete.
miamimelting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 210/210/140

Height: 5'2

i've loved the program that i've been doing with Optifast. There is a lot of interactive things with the class I go to weekly that has been very helpful. It's also been helpful being surroudned by other people doing the same things as me and being able to benefit from learning from them and their experiences too.
bbarber62 is offline   Reply With Quote