General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:59 PM   #376  

S/C/G: 300/300/140

Height: 5,4

Hello all!

I just bought the book, "8 Hour Diet" and I'm excited to try IF.

However, I am curious about what you would say to those who warn about "Starvation Mode"?

Also, once you lose all the weight you want to lose, do you have to keep doing IF or can you resume normal eating patterns with no weight gain?
shrinkinglindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:35 AM   #377  
Earning back my muscles

S/C/G: 184/184/size 8

Height: 5'5

You're not starving yourself because you're eating the same # of calories, just in a certain time span (even on 5:2, you're controlling your calories average over the week instead of the day, so starvation doesn't apply).

You can maintain however you find works. Once you hit your goal weight, you'll be smaller and therefore will have to eat less to maintain your weight than when you started. That's why or acting while you lose weight in s healthy slow sustainable way is s good idea

I love IF because it is so flexible. Some days I do it, some days I don't, depending on what I'm doing. I think the flexibility is what makes it work for so many people
HIheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:23 AM   #378  

Hi! Is anyone doing The Every Other Day Diet (alternate day fasting)? I'm going to start tomorrow, eating 500 cals 3 x a week, and just eating what I want on other days.

Is anyone doing this?
ellaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:08 PM   #379  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

^^ I tried ADF but it was just took difficult for me to sustain, so I stick to 5:2 instead. Obviously very similar so if you have any questions or need support just let me know! Do you have your meal(s) planned for tomorrow?
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:11 PM   #380  
flyin purple people eater

S/C/G: sz 20/22 --> sz 10/12 --> sz 8

Height: 5'8"

I'm doing 16:8 daily with a once a month 24 hour fast for religious reasons. It has totally helped me make wise eating decisions - breakfast was always my downfall; I never wanted to actually cook something, so I would have a carby bowl of cereal and binge on carbs for the rest of the day. Now, my eating window is 12-8pm. I eat a fabulous lunch, snack in the afternoon if I want to, eat dinner with the family, and I'm done for the day. No more late night snacking, no more carb-fests throughout the day (I'm a SAHM, so the kitchen is aaalllwayyss open). This way of eating is perfect for me.

Yes, I am still hungry in the mornings, but I drink a couple of cups of herbal tea, do my yoga and get busy with the children (or surf Facebook...ahem) and before I know it, it's nearly noon and I can start fixing my amazing lunch!
Raisin5Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:02 PM   #381  
Hungry for Health! (-:

S/C/G: 141/108.8/BMI above 18.49

Height: 5'2"

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisin5Cookies View Post
I'm doing 16:8 daily with a once a month 24 hour fast for religious reasons. It has totally helped me make wise eating decisions - breakfast was always my downfall; I never wanted to actually cook something, so I would have a carby bowl of cereal and binge on carbs for the rest of the day. Now, my eating window is 12-8pm. I eat a fabulous lunch, snack in the afternoon if I want to, eat dinner with the family, and I'm done for the day. No more late night snacking, no more carb-fests throughout the day (I'm a SAHM, so the kitchen is aaalllwayyss open). This way of eating is perfect for me.

Yes, I am still hungry in the mornings, but I drink a couple of cups of herbal tea, do my yoga and get busy with the children (or surf Facebook...ahem) and before I know it, it's nearly noon and I can start fixing my amazing lunch!
Yes, looking forward to "later eating," as you are doing with lunch, really helps me get through this WOE. Lately, I've been trying to finish eating early, so I can have a better weigh-in the next morning. Knowing I'm going to have a wonderful breakfasty-lunchy meal the next day gets me through the hunger pangs from stopping eating so early.

For instance, I finished eating around 3:30, but knowing I'm having home-made corned beef and cabbage for lunch tomorrow will keep me perfectly happy until I sit down at the table maņana.

Last edited by HungerWerks; 10-07-2015 at 05:03 PM.
HungerWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:56 PM   #382  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Hi NNS! I haven't been reading this thread as much recently and I noticed you mentioned moving. I don't know where you moved from, but I see that you are now in Denver. I find it interesting that you have been losing more recently, because I read somewhere that people who live in higher elevations lose weight faster on the same diet as people who live in lower elevations. They used Denver as one example, and somewhere in Europe, too. I am not insinuating that you have not been working toward that goal, because I know you are very good at sticking to your plan. I wish I remembered where I read that so I could reference it.

This is not where I read it, but here's an article that says something similar and explains why.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4980659.html

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 10-10-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:28 PM   #383  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungerWerks View Post
. . . knowing I'm having home-made corned beef and cabbage for lunch tomorrow will keep me perfectly happy until I sit down at the table maņana.
To me, this is key to IF: Being sure that your meals are enjoyable. I find that when I focus TOO much on health over taste, it's a sure way for me to perma-snack between meals. If I eat something I REALLY enjoy for my meal, I'm satisfied and can hold out until my next meal.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:54 PM   #384  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
Hi NNS! I haven't been reading this thread as much recently and I noticed you mentioned moving. I don't know where you moved from, but I see that you are now in Denver. I find it interesting that you have been losing more recently, because I read somewhere that people who live in higher elevations lose weight faster on the same diet as people who live in lower elevations. They used Denver as one example, and somewhere in Europe, too. I am not insinuating that you have not been working toward that goal, because I know you are very good at sticking to your plan. I wish I remembered where I read that so I could reference it.

This is not where I read it, but here's an article that says something similar and explains why.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4980659.html

Wow thanks for sharing!! Very interesting. I moved from the east coast so it coups be related for sure, but I have also been doing soooooo much more exercise so likely the combination!

Hope you've been well.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:23 AM   #385  
flyin purple people eater

S/C/G: sz 20/22 --> sz 10/12 --> sz 8

Height: 5'8"

I let myself break the fast a few hours earlier yesterday - I've had a really busy couple of days and I just needed an extra boost I think. I'm feeling like the inch loss is slowing down. Not sure if I should just roll with it or change things up to keep going at the same pace I was before.
Raisin5Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:36 AM   #386  
Sandee

Height: 5' 2"

Hi everyone

When I saw your thread name, I really had to drop in. It looks like it's a healthy way to give your digestive tract a natural rest. I did a liquid cleanse years ago & I disliked it & I won't do that ever again unless it's for a medical test.

I'd like to join you'all & try this method w fasting.

Thanks, Dee
miniDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:14 PM   #387  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Lin43, lately I have been feeling the same way, with wanting my meals to be totally enjoyable, rather than what I think I should be eating. Healthy food does not have to taste bad. I also found that it works if I'm actually feeling hunger when I have my meal, instead of eating because the clock says it's mealtime. I guess that's a little bit of IE.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 12:12 PM   #388  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
Lin43, lately I have been feeling the same way, with wanting my meals to be totally enjoyable, rather than what I think I should be eating. Healthy food does not have to taste bad. I also found that it works if I'm actually feeling hunger when I have my meal, instead of eating because the clock says it's mealtime. I guess that's a little bit of IE.
I love when I'm truly hungry before a meal (not starving, but hungry). Not only am I able to better identify what I truly want to eat, but I enjoy the food so much more. The power of habit is SO strong, though, and sometimes, I just want to eat---for no other reason than just the act of eating.

On the flip side of eating exactly what I really want for a meal, my problem is that if for some reason my meal is not as enjoyable as expected (e.g., I cooked something that didn't turn out as planned), I usually end up eating most of it anyway because it's what I "planned" (and I normally have nothing else prepared) and that leaves me resentful afterwards; then, later that day or night, I end up eating something fattening because I feel I "deserve" it.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:42 AM   #389  

S/C/G: 178/156/150

Height: 5'8

Hi everyone, I've been on 3FC on and off for a while, but I think this may be my first time in this nook of the forum.
I'm a 21 year old college student who has been dealing with eating and weight issues for a while now. I was overweight as a child, and quickly lost that weight and more in 9th grade after going vegetarian and taking up exercise a little too obsessively. I gained it all back from binging, and have since been dealing with binging issues. During the summer when I don't have school work, I'm very active and can lose weight easily from gardening, hiking, biking, swimming, etc. I have a lot of muscle, which helps, but school year always means gaining weight back.

I managed to get from 178 to 165 is during the summer. I gained some of it back since the school year started, but have been trying harder to lose it. This past week, I've had a drop in appetite and have essentially done intermittent fasting. I like it. I'm worried I may start binging again, but for some reason I feel I have more control over my cravings. I also think it's natural for people to do that- eat a lot one day (holiday, celebration, out to eat), and then eat very lightly other days because they aren't hungry anymore.
RetroRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:28 PM   #390  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Goood Afternoon

Its been a looong time since coming back to IF. Did it for maybe two days way back when.. I have been on 5:3 now for 5 days combined with cal counting..i say 5:3 cause im doing 3 days of fasting at the 500 cal level..and Im loving it. I started at 248.6 and im down to 240.6 today in 5 days...good ol water weight..my body loves it.. Have been thinking of doing an 8 hr window since ive been averaging eating my first meal around 1pm daily..what can i say?? I dont feel hungry so much..First fast day was rough, second day was not bad and now my third day has been a breeze..

Glad there is a board to join!! Huzzah!!
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote