General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:12 PM   #1  

Thumbs up New Plan

I need to re-evaluate my plan of action. I really, really want to lose weight but I'm just always so hungry for some reason. I figure I have to put more food into breakfast and lunch so I stop binging at night. But will I lose weight that way?

Plan:
- Two Sunnyside up eggs with salt and pepper. Will convert this into a sort of toast on wheat egg sandwich. (Breakfast)
- Soup. Will add either a sandwich on the side or venture into experimenting with vegetarian wraps. (Lunch)
- Whatever I want. (Dinner)
- Will add dark chocolate almonds throughout the day to keep full and curb eating worse sweets. (Snacks)

As you can see, I've reserved dinner as my one meal that I can eat whatever and how much ever I want. Is this a mistake???
What do you think of my revised plan?
Was I eating too little in the mornings and noon?
MinnieMouse91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:14 AM   #2  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

Are you utilizing portion control? I would not be able to be on a plan without that when eating what I want.

Are you counting calories?
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:12 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I found that the old adage "Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper" works really well.

I like to include vegetables in every one of my meals. Eggs are a perfect food to pair with veggies. I go for only one slice of toast, usually a slice of english muffin.

Lunchtime I do a big salad with protein. Tons of raw veggies not only keep me chewing for a long time but make me feel fantastic. I like to add seeds, avocado, nuts sometimes, grilled shrimp or roasted chicken, beans or peas, the possibilities are endless.

Dinner is the one meal where I consciously portion control. I don't like going to bed with a full stomach anyway. I go heavy on the veggies, moderate on the protein and very very easy on the starch. Eating a light dinner is difficult to do if you eat light meals during the day so you have to consciously stack your meals to be heavier in the daytime. When you do that then it's no big deal to eat a light meal at the end of the day.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 04:38 PM   #4  

I'm not counting calories, no. Mostly because I don't believe that they have much of an impact when it comes to fruits and veggies.

I'm eating veggies in my vegetarian wraps I have for lunch. In them I have cucumbers, broccoli sprouts, spinach, and lettuce.

For dinners, one of my favorite things is mac & cheese. My boyfriend and I usually mix in chopped broccoli with it. With also mix in full broccoli when we eat Tortellini. I guess we really like broccoli.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #5  
Truffle Queen

S/C/G: 302/260.8/150

I would still advise counting your calories. It's amazing to see what a portion size actually is when you measure it out using a food scale. It also helps me be accountable for everything I eat.
PinkTaffeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 210/185/137

If you're monitoring calories and portions all day knowing you can have "whatever you want" for dinner you might have a tendency to overcompensate with your evening meal. A bigger dinner is fine, but I would at least count calories for a week or so to see how much you're eating in a day.
gymrat05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:00 AM   #7  

At your weight, I think you should be giving the advice.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 12:06 AM   #8  

Well, I've gained 3 lbs as of this morning and judging how today went, I'll probably be heavier tomorrow morning as well.

This happens every time. I do so good for a week or so. Then we start running out of food. I don't drive so I can't go get groceries myself. My boyfriend likes to try to make it as long as we can (even though he is also trying to lose weight).

What happens? First, my mom decides to take me to a market that has basically no fresh food or even good food at all and just packaged food. I'm starved (I usually never go shopping hungry but she surprised me) and I ended up getting crackers, dark chocolate, frozen pizza, wine (which was suppose to be for Christmas only and I'm trying to get into wine as my alcohol of choice as opposed to beer).....this is what I have been eating the past 2or 3 days.

I'm snacking on crackers as I type this. All because I've simply run out of eggs. My boyfriend convinced me to just drink the wine that very day and he gave it as an excuse to get beer and we both ended up drinking both.

This is so frustrating. If we could only get to the grocery store on time, this wouldn't be happening. I guess I'm mostly mad because I feel powerless about it even though I know that's not entirely true (I do have a voice, I should voice my opinion and needs and not be weak).

The wraps are not going as planned. I will be honest, I am no cook (even though I wish I were) and I'm also lazy when it comes to meals. I need things that will be easy for me to compile. I think I'm going to do salads instead of wraps. That way I can just chop up everything when I get back from shopping, toss them into baggies to save in the fridge, and then just throw everything into a bowl at lunch.

Another problem....salads are so...fresh. The ingredients don't last long. Does anyone have tips for that?

I was thinking of putting in my salad:
- Spinach/Lettuce mix
- Green peppers (because they can be frozen to last longer)
- Lime (just squeeze the juice in)
- Olives (maybe not fresh but from a small can? So I can buy multiple small cans for them to last longer?)
- Slivered almonds
- Tomatos (Should I go baby tomatos? Or whole and cut them? Which lasts longer?)
- Cilantro???

Any suggestions?
Old 12-13-2014, 07:30 AM   #9  

When it comes to salads anything goes. In my experience I prefer to cut lettuce fresh rather than pre cut it, it lasts longer. There are pre washed organic boxes of greens that make prep simple but they are more expensive so I prefer to buy heads of romaine lettuce and wash as needed. Sometimes I like to mix in arugula or spinach and if I'm feeling fancy I'll buy a small radicchio for color and flavor.

What to put in your salad, well your list is rather basic. There is so much more you can put in there. These are only some of the things I like to put in.

Colorful peppers
cucumbers
grated carrot
avocado
peas
canned beans (my favorites are kidney beans, black beans and garbanzos)
sunflower seeds or other nuts
flax seeds
grilled chicken
grilled shrimp
cubed ham
hard boiled egg
dill and parsley
corn
spring onions
grilled zucchini
roasted peppers
broccoli
cauliflower
grilled mushrooms
chia seeds

I eat a large salad every day and I really enjoy making them, it's so fun. I always add flax seed, it mixes in with the dressing and has no flavor, but adds a little texture and so much nutrition. Don't forget to add a little healthy fat to your salad. Avocados, olive oil and nuts are all good choices. The fat is very important, without it your body doesn't absorb as many of the nutrients from the vegetables.

Olives - canned olives are not really yummy. If you go to a mediterranean specialty store you'll find an assortment of amazing olives and other brined goodies that you can add to your salad.

Peppers - I have an assortment of green/red/yellow/orange bell peppers in my fridge, they last a long time. Why ever would you ruin their beautiful texture by freezing them?

Carrots last a long time! Beans from a can are marvelous and I refrigerate the rest, they last for several days. Peas and corn both are frozen and super simple to reheat.

Protein - I throw in whatever is left over from yesterday's dinner and chop it into my salad. My favorite is leftover steak! Same goes for left over veggies. Just throw them in there!

My most necessary tool is my salad spinner. I just tear up my lettuce leaves into it, wash the lettuce and then spin it dry. It also serves as my salad bowl.

Dressings - my recent favorite is olive oil with lemon juice and a hint of tahini. But oil and vinegar will do just fine, just stay away from vegetable oils and use only olive oil.

Ok I'll stop talking. I'm really really passionate about my salads lol.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:22 AM   #10  

The best tomatoes are Campari or Sarpori, a type of cherry tomato that are the closest to home grown. Of course home grown are the BEST but we only get them about 3 months a year.

Last edited by carolr3639; 01-08-2015 at 10:46 AM.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:08 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 432/180/200

Height: 5'11

also start counting those salads and vegetables.
TheSatinPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 08:10 PM   #12  

Thanks for the advice! I'm just always afraid everything will go bad before the end of the week is up.

My boyfriend told me flat out today we are not going shopping today. He is sick and already had to go to work and he just didn't want to go. Order in pizza again tonight. There goes all the weight I've lost....
Old 12-13-2014, 10:16 PM   #13  

I think you're setting yourself up for too many shoulds and "oh wells". You're a little stuck on extremes: either you're going to eat something "good" or you're going to eat something "bad." If you're going to eat pizza ten enjoy it without giving up on yourself. You don't have to eat the whole pizza you know. You could eat a slice or 2 and have a salad as well. You're victimizing yourself by relying on someone else to take you shopping or choose the food you eat. You're in charge all the time, the truth is you'd rather eat the pizza, don't we all?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you don't have to be either ON plan or OFF plan. Moderation is in the middle. I eat pizza whenever I want it, I eat as much as I need to satisfy my hunger and no more than that.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:45 PM   #14  

I'm eating the pizza because there is literally no food in the house. The spinach and wrap stuff all went bad. We have milk, ketchup, vodka, tea, coffee, and hot chocolate. Although after I already bought the pizza, I thought, "Hmmm, I probably could have hailed a taxi to and from the grocery store for the amount I paid for this pizza." I'll research that next time. It's something I am willing to do. Seriously take a taxi just to get groceries.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:26 AM   #15  

I don't believe in dieting or anything like that, but I think relinquishing control over what you eat to someone else is a cop out. Pizza is the only choice? Great, make it thin crust, easy on the cheese, loaded with veggies, skip the pepperoni.

And while you're at the grocery store stock your pantry. Whole wheat bread can be stored in the freezer and warmed up quickly in the toaster. Get lots of tuna packed in water. Rice, beans, nuts, yogurt and eggs are staples. You can always scramble a couple of eggs, throw in some frozen spinach and you're set. Frozen food is your friend, there are great choices for veggies and it's better than rotten food in the fridge. Frozen broccoli will do in a pinch, peas and carrots and corn are super simple to warm through, they even sell frozen kale that you can throw quickly into soups.

Make a big pot of lentil soup and portion into individual servings to freeze. You'll always have a healthy hearty soup on hand. Can't cook? Learn. It's a matter of life and death.