General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:51 AM   #91  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Locke that's great that you came up with your own. Use what works.

I use the scale given to me by my nutritional therapist. I believe it's the one from the IE book.

1. Famished, Irritable
2. Very hungry
3. Hungry
4. Slight hunger
5. Neutral
6. Appetite goes away
7. Satisfied
8. Full
9. Overly full, stuffed
10. Sick, discomfort

I eat when I'm at a 2-3 and eat all the way to an 8.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:41 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Height: 5' 2"

Jensassy, I have a Fitbit too and love it. Next month will make 2 years that I've been wearing it.

I wouldn't get rid of it. There's nothing wrong with trying to improve our fitness, and if we have fun with our Fitbits, good for us.

I feel undressed if I don't wear mine every day, and if I don't put it on first thing when I get up, I think of all the steps I'm "wasting".

I don't see anything diet-y about wearing a Fitbit. I'm just a numbers geek who loves to have that kind of data for myself.
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:52 AM   #93  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truffle View Post
Jensassy, I have a Fitbit too and love it. Next month will make 2 years that I've been wearing it.

I wouldn't get rid of it. There's nothing wrong with trying to improve our fitness, and if we have fun with our Fitbits, good for us.

I feel undressed if I don't wear mine every day, and if I don't put it on first thing when I get up, I think of all the steps I'm "wasting".

I don't see anything diet-y about wearing a Fitbit. I'm just a numbers geek who loves to have that kind of data for myself.
I feel naked without my fitbit too. I agree that as long as it's enjoyable and helpful there is no reason to get rid of it. It's just like the scale. If someone weighs themselves often and doesn't have adverse effects from it then there is no reason not to continue weighing. If I start to panic though, like I'm scared I didn't reach my step quota or I gained a pound eventhough I ate hardly anything yesterday that's absolutely no fun.

I love my fitbit and it is fun to wear. There are days though that I purposefully do not wear it anymore. Like last week, I had strep throat. I wanted to focus on rest and the thought of the fitbit made me feel like I had to move around. So I kept it off. I actually haven't put it back on since I've started to feel better. I want to exercise to feel good, and sometimes the accountability makes me feel like I don't want to exercise.

I'm learning more and more that accountability and restrictions bring out a side of me that I don't like.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:06 AM   #94  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I haven't worn my fitbit since I got back from Italy. I need to put it back on.

I've been not really eating intuitively lately but I decided that I need to stop that. I had such a good day yesterday and that is what I need to continue to do. I was reading GoKaleo last night (not sure if anyone knows her?) and she does recommend writing down your food, so I'm going to start that again.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:13 AM   #95  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I haven't worn my fitbit since I got back from Italy. I need to put it back on.

I've been not really eating intuitively lately but I decided that I need to stop that. I had such a good day yesterday and that is what I need to continue to do. I was reading GoKaleo last night (not sure if anyone knows her?) and she does recommend writing down your food, so I'm going to start that again.
Hi nelie, how's it going with IE, have you decided it's not working out for you much lately?
Old 06-15-2014, 09:45 AM   #96  
Just Me

It has just been that I have been full of stress lately and it has been getting to me. So stress mixed with lack of sleep and IE tends to go out the window. I just need to learn to manage the stress better and obviously, eating isn't going to take the stress away.

Luckily, my weight has been mostly stable even with stress eating.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:23 PM   #97  

I exercise but not to lose weight.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:55 AM   #98  

How is everyone doing with mindful eating? As far as techniques go, mindful eating is my favorite technique that I've learned in IE. To tell the truth I was always a slow eater, my family used to make fun of me at the dinner table because they'd all be done and I'd still be chugging along. But over time I think I lost the ability to focus on what I was eating, the binging took over. So now whenever I'm not sure of whether or not I'm still hungry I just slow down, take a little break and reassess and it helps to clear right up.

I dislike very much to be around dieters now, I've spoken of my friend who has been on a diet for about as long as I have been doing IE and has lost a lot of weight. I saw her this weekend and on she was going about her trainer and her regime and the diet blah blah blah. Now she keeps track of how much water she drinks. Her food is carefully measured out but she still eats faster than anyone I've ever seen and generally seems dissatisfied when she's done. To tell the truth, I'd be disatisfied too if I was done eating and watching everyone else still eat.

What do you think about fast eating? Are you/were you a fast eater?
Old 06-16-2014, 08:04 AM   #99  

Hey everyone, I would love to jump in with you all! I've been playing around with this concept for awhile, but never really making the commitment...which makes it easy just to go back to dieting. I've got the 'wait until hungry' thing down pretty well, but having a hard time with sensing where the satisfied/full cut off is. I'm pretty sure this is because I'm not really eating mindfully---so that is what I am going to focus on for the rest of the month---eating slowly with no distractions and really listening to my body.

A question about the forum. I'm new here and trying to find my way around! I subscribed to this thread this weekend while I was reading up on things so I was able to find it in my user CP with no problem, but when I come to the thread is there a way to go to the last post that I read?

Looking forward to getting to know all of you! Have a nice day.
suzzie2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:11 AM   #100  

Hello and welcome to the forum. If you look on the left hand side right at the top where the thread begins it says Intuitive Eating: June 2014 and directly underneath it "View first unread" which if you click on it it will take you to the newest post.

I find that whenever things get confusing for me I always go back to honing in my mindful eating technique. It works for me.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:20 AM   #101  
Just Me

I'm certainly a fast eater but my husband is a slow eater so when I eat slowly, I usually finish eating at the same time as him. Sometimes before, sometimes after.

Based on some TDEE calculators online, I had a certain number of calories I'd like to eat as a guideline. Yesterday, after I wrote down everything I ate, I decided just out of curiosity to see how many calories I ate. It was much lower than my target. I'm not too concerned but I figure if I ate whatever I wanted then at least my calories would be closer to my target.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:50 AM   #102  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
How is everyone doing with mindful eating? As far as techniques go, mindful eating is my favorite technique that I've learned in IE. To tell the truth I was always a slow eater, my family used to make fun of me at the dinner table because they'd all be done and I'd still be chugging along. But over time I think I lost the ability to focus on what I was eating, the binging took over. So now whenever I'm not sure of whether or not I'm still hungry I just slow down, take a little break and reassess and it helps to clear right up.

I dislike very much to be around dieters now, I've spoken of my friend who has been on a diet for about as long as I have been doing IE and has lost a lot of weight. I saw her this weekend and on she was going about her trainer and her regime and the diet blah blah blah. Now she keeps track of how much water she drinks. Her food is carefully measured out but she still eats faster than anyone I've ever seen and generally seems dissatisfied when she's done. To tell the truth, I'd be disatisfied too if I was done eating and watching everyone else still eat.

What do you think about fast eating? Are you/were you a fast eater?

I used to be a really slow eater but after my third baby was born I had to start just wolfing food down fast whenever I got a moment. Especially with all the nursing. I got in the habit of eating fast. Now, I have a little more time to eat slowly but I am jumping up and down through out the meal to get everyone stuff. I have recently started putting my fork down between bites and I have FINALLY gotten over needing to read or get on my phone while I eat. I read something about a month ago that basically said if you are bored by JUST eating, then you probably aren't really that hungry. (being bored was always my excuse) So, after that I just focused on my food and nothing else and it has made a difference. I have gotten way better at mindful eating in the past month. I also always try to sit down to eat and not eat standing up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzie2525 View Post
Hey everyone, I would love to jump in with you all! I've been playing around with this concept for awhile, but never really making the commitment...which makes it easy just to go back to dieting. I've got the 'wait until hungry' thing down pretty well, but having a hard time with sensing where the satisfied/full cut off is. I'm pretty sure this is because I'm not really eating mindfully---so that is what I am going to focus on for the rest of the month---eating slowly with no distractions and really listening to my body.

A question about the forum. I'm new here and trying to find my way around! I subscribed to this thread this weekend while I was reading up on things so I was able to find it in my user CP with no problem, but when I come to the thread is there a way to go to the last post that I read?

Looking forward to getting to know all of you! Have a nice day.
Welcome! I look forward to getting to know you too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I'm certainly a fast eater but my husband is a slow eater so when I eat slowly, I usually finish eating at the same time as him. Sometimes before, sometimes after.

Based on some TDEE calculators online, I had a certain number of calories I'd like to eat as a guideline. Yesterday, after I wrote down everything I ate, I decided just out of curiosity to see how many calories I ate. It was much lower than my target. I'm not too concerned but I figure if I ate whatever I wanted then at least my calories would be closer to my target.
You know the other day just for fun I kept track of what I ate and then tallied up my calories and I had eaten pretty much what I need to eat for maintaining my present weight, maybe a little less. I almost never finish all my food so calorie counting is tricky. The body's wisdom is so amazing. I remember when I was "dieting" and counting calories that I couldn't even stay at a higher weight than I am now no matter how hard I tried, and now its effortless (as far as food goes) I have discovered for myself that I need to maintain my weight for a while after losing some weight so my body is doing just what it needs to do. But I know when I first got back into IE, i was eating WAY less. It took a while to even out and eat more. I think I was unconsciously trying to eat less because I was nervous to eat without restrictions.

Last edited by Pinkhippie; 06-16-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Pinkhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:54 AM   #103  

So, as some of you know, I have been dealing with emotional stuff a lot lately. Last week I continued to deal and feel AND also chose to comfort eat. I did it consciously, and in an aware way with no guilt or recrimination and continued to focus on my feelings. In fact, I think it even made it a little easier to focus on my feelings because I did have a little soft cushion of comfort that I needed.

Anyway, I worked through a bunch of stuff and finally came to a new place of more peace and awareness and a few days ago I noticed that I no longer felt the need to eat for comfort. It was like it just vanished. No will power or trying to eat "just a little". I didn't even think about it. I know if I had tried to avoid my emotional eating and tried to tell myself I shouldn't do it, that I would have been much more focused on that and not my feelings so, it was pretty amazing.
Pinkhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:12 PM   #104  
Just Me

I should also say that I lost 40 lbs earlier this year through IE (or I should say I lost 40 regained lbs) I got in trouble when I was part of a challenge at my gym and decided to try dieting... so yeah
Old 06-16-2014, 12:59 PM   #105  

I've had a cold for about a week now. That coupled with a very stressful situation over the weekend has made my appetite evaporate. It's actually comforting to not have to eat, to be honest. Sometimes I get tired of having to eat all the time. On weekends I've gotten into a nice pattern of eating a big breakfast and going until about 5pm. That makes things simpler, too. I wish I could just eat two meals daily but I honestly need more food with going to work, commuting etc. Anyway, I hope you ladies are off to a nice week.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote