General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:23 PM   #106  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Feeling good, great actually. Pinkhippie, im so glad you've come through some emotional stress without too many bruises. It's a wonderful thing when we can get through something without eating an entire donut store, we must give ourselves credit for that. I too still have moments of emotional eating and I go with it compassionately, because if I fight it it becomes this huge hurdle.

Locke I hope you're feeling better, I regained a couple of pounds from my strep throat diet and in fine with that - I knew it was coming because I wasn't eating anything at all when I was sick lol.

I confided in my mom today about IE and seeing an NT. I don't confide in her often enough but I'm usually glad when I do. She's a natural IEer who feels guilty that she doesn't diet lol. I haven't talked to her much about ED in the past, mostly because I never knew how to solve it and don't want her to worry about me. Now I feel like there's hope for a cure and am more open to sharing about my struggle.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:33 PM   #107  
One day at a time.....

S/C/G: 300/242/150

Height: 5'5"

Hello everyone - it was a long weekend full of family stuff, so I'm just catching up.

@wannabeskinny: You are so lucky to have a great support system! As far as your other question. I pretty much eat fast. Always have and I try to slow down but I need to do a better job so I can read my fullness factor better but I'm working on it.

@pinkhippie: holy cow - that is some awesome stuff - congrats! You go girl!

@suzie2535: welcome! we all start somewhere!

@locke: I've been feeling the same. I'm eating more smaller meals on IE and I'm getting annoyed. why am I eating so often and when will it stop for cripes sake or am I just being a pill about it? I hope your cold gets better soon!

I'm having a super hard time. The thoughts of having to or needing to lose weight are completely plaguing me (PMS?). I have been eating IE and then 2nd guess myself and now I'm wondering if I'm not eating when I'm hungry because I'm scared of overeating. Like right now, I'm hungry but I don't know what I want so maybe I should just skip it but then it's been over 3 hours since I ate. Sometimes it's just all so confusing and I want to go back to what I know - dieting, counting calories, counting points, etc... I know I need to get through this rough patch but holy crap, it's hard. I want to hear success stories about people who have lost 100s of lbs and live a "free from food obsession" but I'm not finding many and then I stumble upon message boards that say IE is crap and it doesn't work and that we are all broken and really never could ever know if and when we are hungry. All and all I'm moving forward because I cannot live the way I was before - it sucked more than these feelings are sucking right now. so let's just say -I'm having a bad day. blech
jensassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:42 PM   #108  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensassy View Post
Hello everyone - it was a long weekend full of family stuff, so I'm just catching up.

@wannabeskinny: You are so lucky to have a great support system! As far as your other question. I pretty much eat fast. Always have and I try to slow down but I need to do a better job so I can read my fullness factor better but I'm working on it.

@locke: I've been feeling the same. I'm eating more smaller meals on IE and I'm getting annoyed. why am I eating so often and when will it stop for cripes sake or am I just being a pill about it? I hope your cold gets better soon!

I'm having a super hard time. The thoughts of having to or needing to lose weight are completely plaguing me (PMS?). I have been eating IE and then 2nd guess myself and now I'm wondering if I'm not eating when I'm hungry because I'm scared of overeating. Like right now, I'm hungry but I don't know what I want so maybe I should just skip it but then it's been over 3 hours since I ate. Sometimes it's just all so confusing and I want to go back to what I know - dieting, counting calories, counting points, etc... I know I need to get through this rough patch but holy crap, it's hard. I want to hear success stories about people who have lost 100s of lbs and live a "free from food obsession" but I'm not finding many and then I stumble upon message boards that say IE is crap and it doesn't work and that we are all broken and really never could ever know if and when we are hungry. All and all I'm moving forward because I cannot live the way I was before - it sucked more than these feelings are sucking right now. so let's just say -I'm having a bad day. blech
You need validation that you are doing a good job. Losing weight provides that, doesn't it? It's so nice to have someone notice you and say "what's your secret?" Well, that doesn't happen with IE. You lose weight so slowly that almost nobody notices. I've been doing this since February and I've only lost 10lbs.

Then there is the other external factors that seemingly help - the calorie counting apps, the food logs, the weigh ins, the accountability we so crave to help us get motivated. None of that exists in IE.

Ok so I'm not a success story - at least not a 100lb success story. BUT, I eat whatever I want, whenever I want it with virtually no guilt. I feel comfortable feeling the feelings I have, I am comfortable around food, I am ok if someone steal my chips, I'm ok if dinner is not ready yet, I'm ok if my son takes all the french fries off my plate. I have no emotions towards food other than pleasure. I don't look much different but I feel like the girl in the "after" picture. I feel it way down deep inside. I know that I'm not going to binge today. I know that I'm not going to binge tomorrow and possibly never again, but on the chance that I do I welcome it and hope that I try to at least enjoy it for what it's worth. I don't hate the person in the mirror. It may not be a huge success story but I feel successful.

omg everyone, I'm actually contemplating wearing a bikini to the beach this summer. Is that crazy????
Old 06-16-2014, 07:21 PM   #109  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensassy View Post

Thanks Jensassy! I think the way you are feeling is pretty normal for first starting IE. I remember going through a very similar thing. And it DOES feel annoying to constantly have to be asking yourself "am I hungry" What do I want to eat? Am I REALLY hungry?" Its so much easier to choose what to eat based on calories or what your diet says you can have. And not have to wonder if you are hungry because its mealtime and now you can have your allotment of food. Its such a different way of thinking but once you get the hang of it , it is SO worth it. Food becomes just food, not something to obsess over and once you eat and are satisfied, you don't think of food again until you are hungry. It takes a while to get there. I have lost all my weight by practicing IE and working through my emotional eating issues. Ive been working on it for a little over a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
You need validation that you are doing a good job. Losing weight provides that, doesn't it? It's so nice to have someone notice you and say "what's your secret?" Well, that doesn't happen with IE. You lose weight so slowly that almost nobody notices. I've been doing this since February and I've only lost 10lbs.

Then there is the other external factors that seemingly help - the calorie counting apps, the food logs, the weigh ins, the accountability we so crave to help us get motivated. None of that exists in IE.

Ok so I'm not a success story - at least not a 100lb success story. BUT, I eat whatever I want, whenever I want it with virtually no guilt. I feel comfortable feeling the feelings I have, I am comfortable around food, I am ok if someone steal my chips, I'm ok if dinner is not ready yet, I'm ok if my son takes all the french fries off my plate. I have no emotions towards food other than pleasure. I don't look much different but I feel like the girl in the "after" picture. I feel it way down deep inside. I know that I'm not going to binge today. I know that I'm not going to binge tomorrow and possibly never again, but on the chance that I do I welcome it and hope that I try to at least enjoy it for what it's worth. I don't hate the person in the mirror. It may not be a huge success story but I feel successful.

omg everyone, I'm actually contemplating wearing a bikini to the beach this summer. Is that crazy????
Absolutely to all of this. Major success story right there!

And you go girl! Totally rock a bikini at the beach! That is awesome!
Pinkhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:57 PM   #110  
One day at a time.....

Quote:

I do want validation!?!?!? I always have for just about everything, I think. I should ponder that for awhile. Thank you for the prep talk AND the success story! I think the freedom you describe is what I enjoy so much about IE and why I can't go back to the constant turmoil, guilt, and all around failure thinking/feelings ever.again.period.

You can totally rock a bikini at the beach this summer!!! I wish we could post pics or is that weird?
Old 06-16-2014, 09:25 PM   #111  
One day at a time.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkhippie View Post
Thanks Jensassy! I think the way you are feeling is pretty normal for first starting IE. I remember going through a very similar thing. And it DOES feel annoying to constantly have to be asking yourself "am I hungry" What do I want to eat? Am I REALLY hungry?" Its so much easier to choose what to eat based on calories or what your diet says you can have. And not have to wonder if you are hungry because its mealtime and now you can have your allotment of food. Its such a different way of thinking but once you get the hang of it , it is SO worth it. Food becomes just food, not something to obsess over and once you eat and are satisfied, you don't think of food again until you are hungry. It takes a while to get there. I have lost all my weight by practicing IE and working through my emotional eating issues. Ive been working on it for a little over a year.

Thank you pinkhippie!!! I think I'm reading too much Geenen Roth. Every one of her books she says she's lost all her weight within a year but never says how much so it could have been 5 pounds for all I know. It is exhausting asking myself all the time about hunger. Does it wax and wane for you at all? Last week I was a starving lunatic. This weekend and today I've been unable to determine where I'm at. When I'm pretty sure I'm hungry I eat something and then I'm famished!!! Then I think what the heck? How did I not know that?

I also think I'm not eating enough in the fear of over eating. Tonight I just said I need to eat until I'm satiated. I did and now I have no interest or thoughts of food at all. The thing is, is that my coach is saying I need to be no more than a 5.5 on the hunger scale when I stop eating, so I think I'm overeating if I get to a 6 or 7.*sigh*

Thanks again for your great success story!!!!
Old 06-16-2014, 09:29 PM   #112  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

Height: 5'2"

IE has been great this week. The stress over food has all but gone away. And I felt my tummy actually rumble at a street fair this past weekend. So, I ordered what I wanted. Not what I thought I should have. And it. Was. Awesome.
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:29 PM   #113  
One day at a time.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truffle View Post
Jensassy, I have a Fitbit too and love it. Next month will make 2 years that I've been wearing it.

I wouldn't get rid of it. There's nothing wrong with trying to improve our fitness, and if we have fun with our Fitbits, good for us.

I feel undressed if I don't wear mine every day, and if I don't put it on first thing when I get up, I think of all the steps I'm "wasting".

I don't see anything diet-y about wearing a Fitbit. I'm just a numbers geek who loves to have that kind of data for myself.
I really like the fitbit and I wear it at all times too. I'm going to stop thinking about it too much I think!!
Old 06-16-2014, 09:58 PM   #114  
One day at a time.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlsteazombies View Post
IE has been great this week. The stress over food has all but gone away. And I felt my tummy actually rumble at a street fair this past weekend. So, I ordered what I wanted. Not what I thought I should have. And it. Was. Awesome.
Yay!!! Awesome story!!!!
Old 06-17-2014, 07:22 AM   #115  

Love reading about all the success and the struggles, gives me a glimpse of things to come!

Yesterday I did so-so with mindful eating at lunch. At dinner I totally forgot and wolfed it down, but luckily remembered just in time for dessert---so I ate it slow and savored it! LOL I suspect this mindful eating thing is going to take me awhile to make into a habit but that's OK. The emotional eating that many of you are talking about is going to take me much much longer....but right now, I'm just going to deal with one thing at a time.
suzzie2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:12 AM   #116  

Just for the heck of it I googled 'intuitive eating doesn't work" and came up with all kinds of stupid blog posts condemning IE for reasons not understood and full of misinformation about the process. Please don't be swayed by these posts, they are written by nobodies, without credibility and without basic knowledge of the process. You cannot listen to dieters, they are hungry disgruntled people who cannot stand by and allow someone to enjoy their food.

Accountability, food logging, calorie counting, gram counting, restriction, punishment, denying cravings, distrusting oneself around foods, avoiding social situations, self loathing, making plans, trigger foods, counting almonds, self righteousness, guilt, hatred of food groups.... what kind of life is this? How long can one survive with such a plan?

If you went to the doctor with an ailment and the doctor presents you with a line of treatment that has only 5% success rate what would you do? That's what diets offer, a 5% chance you'll keep weight off. Jeez sign me up doc lol. You know what, I'd rather stay this weight forever and be content and happy than lose pounds and have to go through all that. There, I said it. I'd rather find happiness in being obese than torture myself down to a skinny weight and then be left with the ever-daunting maintenance everyone is so scared of.

Let's pretend that THIS is the after. Let's pretend that THIS is the life that we are leading now. That we ARE the success story already, that we love ourselves without having lost weight. Let's maintain who we are now. Let's smile in our pictures now, we are the after story.

Last edited by Palestrina; 06-17-2014 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:59 AM   #117  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Honestly, I didn't think intuitive eating worked because the first time I tried, it didn't. I think once you learn to try to separate out all the emotional eating and try to focus on real, true hunger, it can work for you. I think there are a lot of things to work including portion control, working balanced meals, listening to your body and trusting your body. All of those things are difficult.

So for the last 2 days, I was undereating. Not on purpose mind you, I thought I was well fed but the calories were low. Last night, I woke up at 4am hungry. Around 5am I finally got up and got some water and then went back to sleep.

I had breakfast this morning and something I chose to eat was not very satisfying. I've decided that I won't eat that anymore unless I have a strong urge to do so.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:02 AM   #118  

S/C/G: 92/88/60 (Kgs that is)

Height: 1.65

Quote:

Accountability, food logging, calorie counting, gram counting, restriction, punishment, denying cravings, distrusting oneself around foods, avoiding social situations, self loathing, making plans, trigger foods, counting almonds, self righteousness, guilt, hatred of food groups.... what kind of life is this? How long can one survive with such a plan?
I couldn't agree with this more. Sometimes the hardest thing to do is to be kind to yourself.

This morning I was beating myself up for not exercising as much as I had planned but I realisied that the guilt was just making things even worse!

Sorry for my absence, I have had a hectic weekend filled with many opportunities to gorge. I'm happy to say that I managed quite well
Nanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:46 AM   #119  
One day at a time.....

Thanks Wannabeskinny! I 100% needed that pep talk. you are right, those poor poor peeps are dieters and I am no longer one of those people. I just can't live that way anymore. I'm tired of feeling the guilt and being a constant failure.

I may have a big belly but when I look in the mirror more often then not, I love my body - it has taken such good care of me even after I have tortured the crap out of it. I am relatively healthy and so thankful that my rock star body has gotten me this far. I am proud to be me and no longer will I feel bad about my size.

I want the freedom of choice, guilt, and failure that IE offers and I just have to trust that this body of mine will take me where it's supposed to go.

On a side note, I started another GR book - she noted that she first gained 15 pounds when she started this lifestyle and then lost 30 and pretty much stays at her current weight with fluctuations of about 12lbs depending on the season. Interesting and awesome considering that on her website she posted a pretty hot picture of herself in leather pants!
Old 06-17-2014, 10:55 AM   #120  
One day at a time.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Honestly, I didn't think intuitive eating worked because the first time I tried, it didn't. I think once you learn to try to separate out all the emotional eating and try to focus on real, true hunger, it can work for you. I think there are a lot of things to work including portion control, working balanced meals, listening to your body and trusting your body. All of those things are difficult..
I think that had you stuck with it through all these urges to eat, you would have been pleasantly surprised how it all turned out.

Right now, since I'm such a newbie, I am eating all sorts of unhealthy foods when I'm hungry because it has been SOO DANG long since I've not felt guilty about eating them. It will pass I hear and eventually I'll "want" a salad or fruit or something healthier but until then, I don't care if I'm not eating a balanced diet or not.

I also am still working through, not eating when I'm bored, frustrated, angry, fill in the blank. It's freakin' hard but so much easier when I tell myself "you know what? you can totally have that food you want right now the next time you're hungry" That always always makes me feel better and sometimes I eat it the next time and sometimes I don't. And sometimes, I eat it anyway and am working on not feel guilty about it so I can just move on. No one is perfect - heck - that's what got me into this situation, thinking that I was perfect or could be perfect....