General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:27 PM   #106  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Hi Lilian, sorry to hear you are disappointed. Its important to manage those feelings but i certainly don't think its bad as you fear.

Nevertheless you've just told us the likely reason for you large increase in weight overnight. take way foods have a high salt level and salt in the blood needs to hold onto water. Just as if we quit salt altogether we'd lose a lot of water weight. But doing that is harmful too because our bodies do need some salt. About 1 tsp a day in total. I know that not having enough salt is important because you can become dehydrated without realising it because you do not feel thirsty, even though you've been sweating and peeing it all out. I experienced this but luckily did not get sick. I just got night cramps in my legs.

Whenever i eat my favourite japanese food when i go to the city i have a major weight hike overnight because asian food as well as most takeaway stuff is very high in salt. Cheese is high in salt. Processed foods are high in salt.

I am now not so bothered by the yo yo of my weight.
Other reasons i've seen for my water weight increase is menstruation
but for the most part i think the fluctuations have to do with salt and water and so i watch the scales go up and down massively sometimes and don't take it too seriously.

If you want to understand it better do some searches on the way the body regulates and salt and fluid levels in the body. I think its important for dieters to have some understanding of this because of way we read the scales and how that affects our moods.

For me i would be scared to do it only once a month because i might choose a bad day to do it and mistakenly think i'd lost no weight when i had if i was holding a lot of water that night.

Anyway look after your mood. Keep optimistic. Don't give up. You are on the right path.

Another thing that keeps my weight up overnight - usually over a few days is because i don't go to the loo every day so i get an increase from that. My depression meds cause that problem. And since i read that article about seratonin yesterday i now understand how and why my meds cause it.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:30 PM   #107  
300+ Chick

Hello all. I come to say I won't count fiber...breads/bagels are loaded with salt and starting on monday...I will be on a liquid diet... 3 smoothies a day. that I will get my fruits/veggies in...and drinking plenty of water...

Good luck to you all. Take Care
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:36 PM   #108  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Pattience - Thanks for the link and also for the recipe. I love split pea soup and since I have to be careful with the salt, homemade would be better.

I am amazed how this is beginning to fall together for me. I'm using the Intuitive Eating principles. When hungry, eat whatever you really want (I do make my choices from Fiber such as grains, fruits and veggies and then Protein. I am trying to learn to eat only as much as I need to be satisfied and then stop. Haven't mastered it completely, but I am happy to say that I am eating fairly reasonable amounts of calories and fiber. Today my calories were 1373 and fiber was 52g. I am so very pleased.

I too have problems with my weight going up and down because of the sodium. I do eat some processed foods, but do try to watch to keep the sodium under 2300 g although I don't always make it.

I get so wiped out when we go out to eat in restaurants or fast food places that it has almost taken the pleasure out of going out. I have read that although they aren't supposed to use msg in those places that they actually do. I am thinking that is what makes me so tired. Of course, I have added more fiber into my diet quicker than I had intended so that could be some of the problem too. I don't know. I've never tried to find out what all happens when you go too fast. However, I think my system is starting to adjust to it pretty good. My weight was even back down under 230 this morning. Now I just hope I can keep it and keep going down. Fasting blood sugar has not been back down to 118, but it is not going up over 160s any more. I know more exercise will help that, but didn't feel like doing as much as I usually do the past few weeks. However, I did do 4 days this week instead of 3 on the recumbant bike and I actually did almost 4 miles 2 days. It sure made me feel a lot better about myself when I did. I was talking on the phone and did it before I realized it.

Well I'm tired so I'm going to close for tonight.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:45 AM   #109  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liliann View Post
Hello all. I come to say I won't count fiber...breads/bagels are loaded with salt and starting on monday...I will be on a liquid diet... 3 smoothies a day. that I will get my fruits/veggies in...and drinking plenty of water...

Good luck to you all. Take Care
They do have salt in them, but some high fiber products are lower than others. I noticed Fiber One bread was lower than Arnold's brand, both great breads, but I just might stick to the Fiber One. I noticed that most of the high fiber snack items, at least the ones I buy anyway, are much lower in sodium than the chips and crackers that I used to eat. Little changes go a long way.

By juicing, you can also whoosh away a lot of salt with cucumbers, celery, asparagus, and leafy greens. Fruit also helps whoosh away sodium as well. Drinking water helps, too, especially distilled water. Apple cider vinegar in a cup of warm water with four Stevia drops helps get the sodium under control as well- I drink this once or twice a day- some days, I just forget the second beverage. Also, like I said before, pillows under your feet at night for 20-30 minutes, or put your feet at an angle against the wall- I did that tonight, I actually started tapping my feet to some music- glad no one was around to see me dancing on the wall. Exercise also helps with fluid retention- yes, you gain it at our weight for a few days, but the whoosh is so worth it when it comes off.

So, juicing is a great thing, but I caution you to just be realistic about it- it's very hard to do alone long term. I wish you the best, though, if this is what you feel you have to do! You were doing great on the high fiber, I think you just get too nervous about the water gains- I totally understand that, but at our weight, plus all the medications we're on, we have to expect these crazy fluctuations for the first 60-80 pounds that come off. The lower we get in weight, the stronger our muscles become as we continue to work out, combined with watching our sodium intake causes these fluctuations to happen less and less. It is indeed frustrating- I gained three pounds of water weight last week from swimming, took a few days to come off, but I knew it was my muscles holding onto the water while they healed for a couple of days.

Also, as we start to get smaller and in better shape, our blood pressure levels lower, causing us to go lower in medication- medications can also wreak havoc with fluid retention- it's just something we have to hang in there for a little bit and let happen, and not get discouraged by it. Recently, they lowered my Propranolol from 80 mg to 60 mg. They also took me off my thyroid medicine (I have Grave's Disease), because it made me hypothyroid. I actually have hyperthyroidism and have to watch my levels carefully. I am nervous about being off of this medicine because at any time, my thyroid levels could jump up to Grave's again, which is scary- heart palpitations, hot and sweating like I just ran a marathon even though I am sitting still, just miserable symptoms. However, I am doing it because it's not good for me to be hypo, either. The battle of the thyroid drives me crazy- it also causes my blood pressure to hit the roof, too, when the heart palpitations start.

Again, I would log daily my weight and exercise, to see if perhaps most of this retention is just simply your muscles hanging onto the water to heal, which takes a few days. That is a great thing, believe or not, because it means your muscles are getting stronger, and once healed, they release the water. Muscle also takes up less space than fat, eventually clothes will get loser and you'll look and feel better as time goes on.

Also, why not combine the juicing with the high fiber diet? Instead of having two bagels for breakfast, maybe have one with a juice. Same thing with lunch and dinner, have a juice before you eat. Not only will it help fill you up, you'll cut down on the sodium in some of the foods that may be high.

Anyhow, good luck to you on your new journey of juicing- I wish you all the best! Don't forget about us here!
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:55 AM   #110  

My fasting blood sugar was up today. I think it was the veggie burger I ate on the HF English muffin last night. As a diabetic, I have to not only watch sugar but being too carby. Also the sodium is a problem that I have to deal with, but the good news is that I was still under 230 and in fact had lost another .2 of a lb. My bp was a little higher than usual for me, but still good for my weight. So overall it was good. The bp being up a little tells me not to eat a veggie burger on the HF/LS English muffin at night.

I actually find that a lot of this with me is learning what works for my body.
I've learned over the years that just because a doctor, a diet, etc even the ADA says I can eat a certain food is not gospel and it may not work for my body. I've learned a lot of what I can and cannot eat through experience.
For example, oatmeal is supposed to be a really great diabetic food. I couldn't eat it for a while because it spiked my blood sugar so high. When I switched to instant Steel Cut oats, I had no problem with it. However, a serving of instant Steel Cut oats is 1/4 c dry. One day I got to thinking about it and wondered what would happen if I ate 1/4 c dry regular oats instead of the 1/2 c serving. So I tried it. I was thrilled to learn that it worked just fine for me. I seem to have learned that with the fiber foods as well. I seem to be able to handle between 30 anf 40 g fiber well, but if I go higher I'm not sure I do. I've got to learn more about sodium results in the diets etc.

Lilliann I know that it takes more time and work to do this, but from what I see this is how Steelslady has learned what works for her and I know this is what I'm having to do. For me, I think it is the difference in success and failure. One diet or way of eating DOES NOT fit all. So byy all means don't give up and do find out what works for you. You will be glad that you did. Good luck on your journey.

Steelslady You actually inspire me to keep on keeping on. I your experience and see what may be happening with me and it helps me even more to understand what my body is telling me about what I am doing and why. Thank you for being willing to share.

I am going to continue counting my calories as I believe that is important for me and now that I know how to watch the Fiber, I'm going to just relax and enjoy what I'm doing. MFP makes it so easy for me to keep up with the both counts. I will also do some research to see if I can learn more about how sodium affects the body and if it affects the blood sugar. I have always read labels, but I am learning that I am beginning to have to read for more information on it than before. Started reading carb counts, then calories, then fiber and now more on sodium. I am studying nutrition more now than ever.

Y'all have a good day!!
Old 03-17-2014, 02:03 PM   #111  
Going down, my way!

Sunday's menu-

breakfast/lunch-

ham and cheese omelet
2 HF English mufffins, two halves with butter, two with low cal chunky PB and Polaner preserves- 22 grams

total for b/l- 22 grams

dinner-

Apricot chicken made with Polaner preserves- 16 grams
Israeli couscous with roasted veggies- 4 grams, maybe more, not sure- had lots of veggies in it (summer squash, zucchini, eggplant, yellow cherry tomatoes, asparagus, red pepper)

total for dinner- 20 grams, maybe more, not sure......

total for the day- 42 grams

Today's menu- Happy Saint Patrick's Day, everyone!

Breakfast/lunch-

two turkey wraps with lettuce- 12 grams
two servings of Bachman's Whole Grain tortilla chips- 6 grams
glass of milk

total for breakfast/lunch- 18 grams

Dinner-

corned beef with lotsa mustard and a little bit of ketchup
1/2 cup each of sweet and white potatoes 5.5 grams
3/4 medium carrot 1 gram
1/4 cup green beans 1.4 grams
2 cups cabbage with butter and a dash of salt and pepper 5.6 grams
2 and a half slices of Irish soda bread, I think- everytime I would butter mine, darling youngest daughter would grab it after I took a bite and eat the rest of it!- 3.6 grams
small McDonald's Shamrock shake- only drank 3/4 of it, while everyone else polished off their large shakes.

total for dinner- 17.1 grams

total for the day- 35.1 grams

not sure about the fiber counts of all. Will try to edit and update later. Just figured I would get my menu up. I'll probably gain some water weight from the corned beef (sodium), but this Irish girl don't care, she's enjoying her corned beef tonight. It'll whoosh off eventually.

I haven't had my annual Shamrock shake from Mickey D's. I never eat there, but I do love those things. Sister has been trying to get me to have one for two weeks now, told her I would wait until tonight, make it my treat. Knowing our luck, we'll forget about it on the way home- got to do some shopping in a few minutes. Either that, or the machine won't be running, then she'll really be mad at me.

Last edited by Steelslady; 03-18-2014 at 02:16 AM. Reason: added in fiber counts to my dinner
Old 03-17-2014, 08:29 PM   #112  

Today's calories 1655 and fiber 32
Old 03-17-2014, 08:57 PM   #113  
300+ Chick

Steelslady.....You are doing such remarkable efforts!! I am proud of you! Keep it up.

Trish....You are also doing wonderful...and glad that you staying strong..I know you will keep this going.

to the both of ya!!

Ladies...All day Monday was in major pain..am dealing with sciatica and in pain. I messed this day the worst. On Tuesday, I will begin tracking fiber, I miss breads and bagels and I just won't weigh in daily..just weekly. I was doing great till we had take out foods of chicken and fries..I knew I will spiked up, but never that high. Lesson learn.

I will start back up Tuesday....and sharing my fiber count..Thanks ladies for letting me vent. I am alone on this and good on having you along. I am a stay at home caregiver and now with my sicatica flare up, it makes it worst.

Keep on,keeping on ladies...WE CAN DO THIS!!! Have a high fiber Tuesday!
Old 03-17-2014, 10:05 PM   #114  
300+ Chick

Today Total Fiber..45
Old 03-17-2014, 11:09 PM   #115  
Going down, my way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post
Pattience - Thanks for the link and also for the recipe. I love split pea soup and since I have to be careful with the salt, homemade would be better.

I am amazed how this is beginning to fall together for me. I'm using the Intuitive Eating principles. When hungry, eat whatever you really want (I do make my choices from Fiber such as grains, fruits and veggies and then Protein. I am trying to learn to eat only as much as I need to be satisfied and then stop. Haven't mastered it completely, but I am happy to say that I am eating fairly reasonable amounts of calories and fiber. Today my calories were 1373 and fiber was 52g. I am so very pleased.

I too have problems with my weight going up and down because of the sodium. I do eat some processed foods, but do try to watch to keep the sodium under 2300 g although I don't always make it.

I get so wiped out when we go out to eat in restaurants or fast food places that it has almost taken the pleasure out of going out. I have read that although they aren't supposed to use msg in those places that they actually do. I am thinking that is what makes me so tired. Of course, I have added more fiber into my diet quicker than I had intended so that could be some of the problem too. I don't know. I've never tried to find out what all happens when you go too fast. However, I think my system is starting to adjust to it pretty good. My weight was even back down under 230 this morning. Now I just hope I can keep it and keep going down. Fasting blood sugar has not been back down to 118, but it is not going up over 160s any more. I know more exercise will help that, but didn't feel like doing as much as I usually do the past few weeks. However, I did do 4 days this week instead of 3 on the recumbant bike and I actually did almost 4 miles 2 days. It sure made me feel a lot better about myself when I did. I was talking on the phone and did it before I realized it.

Well I'm tired so I'm going to close for tonight.
Trish, do I ever relate to you on eating out. My sister loves to eat out, but I just can't do it anymore at most of the restaurants out there. I told her, it was a choice of three of them, which has natural food (two of them) and another has a decent salad bar and I get their Louisiana Chicken Quesadillas to go with the salad bar (Ruby Tuesdays). Though they have a high sodium count (the quesadillas), they don't make me exhausted and bloated feeling like other meals do at most restaurants.

My neighbor owns a cafe- everything, even the baked goods, are made from scratch. He doesn't believe in adding extra sugar or salt to foods, and everything at his cafe is just delicious. Even the bacon he cooks isn't loaded with the sodium and fat that the stores sell, what a flavor to it! Recently, I just found a Co Op around here that also has a cafe with all natural and homemade foods and a great salad bar. When hubby and I ate there the other day, it was amazing, and again, neither him nor myself were bloated and exhausted after eating there. Restaurants add way too much sodium (MSG) and sugar to foods. It's really sad what they put in our food in stores and in restaurants.

You look like you have found a great diet plan there, kiddo- great job! Unfortunately, while the veggie burgers are loaded with fiber, they also have carbs in them, too. Some of the carbs in them are slow carbs (beans), but it's what they add to them (bread crumbs) that make them more sugar carb. If I were you, I would try to eat them earlier in the day, when you can walk or exercise the sugars off. Unfortunately, eating them as a late night snack and going to bed keep the sugars in your system because they aren't burned off. Try another protein source before bed- cheese, peanut butter, meat of some sort, and see if that helps. I don't recall where I heard this, I think it was my elderly friend's doctor who told us that she should walk for 15-20 minutes right after she eats carbs to burn the sugars off, and to not have anything with sugar before bed. If you have to have something, to make sure it's paired with a protein source. Not sure if this would help you or not, but figured I would pass it along.

Congratulations on your weight getting down again- that's wonderful! Keep it up!

You're right about another thing- with this plan (or any, for that matter), you have to find what works for you as an individual. Some can eat more carbs on this plan, some need more protein like you and I to balance out sugars. Some can eat salt til it's pouring out of their ears and have no effect on them (my sister), while others retain it terribly for days after eating out for one meal (myself).

I think of it as an adventure, I learn something new everyday on this weight loss journey. Now that I know all about sodium weight gain, I don't get nervous about days like tomorrow morning when I know I'll have a water weight gain after having corned beef. Sure, it's frustrating some days when that happens, but now I just ride it out and laugh it off, and stay on plan until the next salty meal comes along that I have to fight off for a few days afterwards, lol. We're getting there, we're getting healthier and thinner- it will take time, so let's sit back and enjoy the ride.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:09 PM   #116  

Lilliann So glad you are not giving up. Good for you. I'm not surprised that you spiked with take out chicken and fries. I know my weight is going to go up possibly 5 lbs when I eat out. However, I too am surprised it spiked so high. But everybody's body is different. Hope the weight will come back down soon.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:51 PM   #117  
Going down, my way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liliann View Post
Steelslady.....You are doing such remarkable efforts!! I am proud of you! Keep it up.

Trish....You are also doing wonderful...and glad that you staying strong..I know you will keep this going.

to the both of ya!!

Ladies...All day Monday was in major pain..am dealing with sciatica and in pain. I messed this day the worst. On Tuesday, I will begin tracking fiber, I miss breads and bagels and I just won't weigh in daily..just weekly. I was doing great till we had take out foods of chicken and fries..I knew I will spiked up, but never that high. Lesson learn.

I will start back up Tuesday....and sharing my fiber count..Thanks ladies for letting me vent. I am alone on this and good on having you along. I am a stay at home caregiver and now with my sicatica flare up, it makes it worst.

Keep on,keeping on ladies...WE CAN DO THIS!!! Have a high fiber Tuesday!
And I am so proud of YOU, Liliann!!!!! We will get this worked out for you, I promise! Hang in there, you deserve to lose this weight and feel great.

Since I joined this board, I have been one of your biggest silent cheerleaders. You are always so warm, caring, kind, encouraging to everyone- it's time someone took you under their wing and give it back to you. I remember a few years back when you explained your home situation (being a caretaker)- my heart just goes out to you. My sister has had mini strokes for years and now has dementia as a result of it. She has a genetic disorder (defect? mutation?- not sure I have the right word, sorry!) that unfortunately leaves her with dementia, and most people like my Dad and her, who have this, don't live past the age of 65. My Dad died when he was 64 (he didn't have dementia, thank goodness), and she is 60 years old now. She does not take good care of herself, and now I have to take care of her. Her kids are terrible- they hardly ever see her, and if it was up to them, she would be in an assisted living or nursing home. My kids are upset at times that I allowed her to move in with us, not because of her medical issues, but because she was very mean and abusive to me, even in front of them and my husband and friends.

Unfortunately, I was raised that we take care of our own, no matter what, and I would feel just horrible and guilty to see her in an assisted living or nursing home, all alone. I just can't do it. She has her good points, but those years when she was very mean and abusive to me, my kids can't get past it. However, they have been wonderful and very tolerant, even though they don't care for her. I also took care of my mother until she died 21 years ago, she was chronically ill with several medical problems, so hard as I was the only single child she had, so all of her care fell on me. Even after I got married and had a baby, I had to take care of her, too.

So, I hear you on the stress of taking care of loved ones- I have six of us to cook for and take care of (laundry, cleaning, etc), but one thing I learned this fall, after I got my sleep apnea under control and started feeling better was this- I HAVE to take good care of me, too! I deserve to be healthy and happy. I am happy with everything else in my life, but my weight. That's easy enough to fix, but it's going to take time and patience, lol. I am learning new things everyday on here and just researching all over the internet.

Speaking of learning new things- you inspired me to buy a NutriBullet today. I am going to try to make a natural diuretic smoothie and a berry smoothie once a day, while still following my high fiber plan. Thanks for mentioning this in the thread- I didn't know about the NutriBullet until you mentioned it in this thread. The one and only juicer I bought several years ago was awful- five pound of carrots, and all I got was 1/8-to 1/4 of a cup of juice, and meanwhile, the rest of the vegetable was in a waste container in the back of the machine after the juice was extracted. Talk about a waste of a vegetable and money- needless to say, I got rid of that juicer! I am very happy with what I have read about the NutriBullet and how it uses most of the entire fruits and vegetables (except for fruits that are pitted and some veggies have to be peeled, not many, though), including the seeds in most fruits and veggies, which have hidden nutrients! I can't wait to try it, even my husband, who has started this high fiber diet this past week after seeing my progress, can't wait to see what combinations I come up with! I bought some Asian pears, as someone suggested on here that they are high in fiber along with raspberries. Going to make a berry smoothie and a diuretic smoothie tomorrow- I will let you know how it works and tastes. Thanks again for suggesting it- sounds like this would be a great accompaniment to this plan.

I promise, we will get this weight off together- keep posting, tell us what is going on, and we'll get this sorted out. You have done amazing on this diet, just ride out the fluctuations as they will pass, I promise. We've all had to make tweaks and adjustments along the way- it is a learning process for sure, and time and patience will get us to our goal weight.

I hope you feel better, too- so sorry about the sciatica nerve acting up. I never had issues with it until my first pregnancy. I don't know what was worse for me, the pain, or the collapsing when it would act up. I actually fell and crashed to the floor one day in front of my nurse, it just gave out that fast, no warning, and then sitting or walking was just awful. I've only had a few boughts with it, but I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I hope you are feeling better tomorrow morning and pain free. So glad you are back, I really want to see you be happy and succeed- you deserve this!
Old 03-18-2014, 12:56 AM   #118  
Going down, my way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachadaml View Post
2 fruits that are high in fiber are raspberries and Asian pears.
Thank you for reminding me about the raspberries- I completely forgot about them being high in fiber.

When I was a kid, we had raspberry bushes in our back yard- we use to pick them and eat them with a little bit of cream and sugar- so good! We have raspberry bushes in our yard here, too, but not enough of them- hubby and I end up sharing the one bowl of raspberries we get out of the bushes out back. I need to get more bushes, maybe this year. We have two apple trees, a peach tree, two pear trees, and are getting two cherry trees for Mother's Day. I just love my fruit trees!

I bought some raspberries today along with the Asian pears- I have never had those pears before, they're shaped and look like an apple. Can't wait to try them- got four of them, going to use one in a smoothie tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleka View Post
Steelslady, Thank you for letting me know which bread you buy. I bought a loaf of When Pigs Fly high fiber bread and it tasted like cardboard.

I found Beanitos at the Hannaford's on Ft Eddy Rd. I bought the plain ones and DH & I had some with our lunch. We thought they were pretty good.

Is the pool you go to in Concord at the "Y"? Keep up the exercising, you're doing great.

Please post your recipe for the apricot chicken, it sounds really good.

I totally agree about this winter! I've had enough of it.
thanks for the help on finding the Beanitos- I don't care for the Nacho cheese flavor, too beany tasting for me. Better Cheddar tastes a little better- maybe I just favor the darker beans varieties? Going to try the pinto with sea salt in the next two days.

We go swimming at the Comfort Inn in Concord- they are closed from 1 PM to 2:30 Pm for cleaning, but for $7.00 per 24 hour period, you can't beat the price. They have a hot tub, sauna, and a shower as well. For the most part, the pool is nice and warm. I love it there. I just bought some ankle weights and arm water weights, can't wait to try them out in the pool. The staff is very friendly there, they even let us grab a free coffee on the way out. You should go sometime, I think you would enjoy it! Just about everyone we've met there is very fun and friendly- there are others who go on a daily or two or three times a week basis. I met a wonderful couple last week and we've been in touch ever since and are going to try and plan a swim/exercise time together sometime this week.

Wouldn't you know, I bought all of the ingredients for the Apricot Chicken, and then I lost the blasted recipe- I had to make up my own, which was awesome, but I need to tweak it- came out too soupy, may just cut out the water that I used with the no sodium chicken broth and just add the broth granules instead. I had to thicken it up with cornstarch. Still the family really enjoyed it, and my poor oldest daughter got a cleaning out last night. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattience View Post
Hi Lilian, sorry to hear you are disappointed. Its important to manage those feelings but i certainly don't think its bad as you fear.

Nevertheless you've just told us the likely reason for you large increase in weight overnight. take way foods have a high salt level and salt in the blood needs to hold onto water. Just as if we quit salt altogether we'd lose a lot of water weight. But doing that is harmful too because our bodies do need some salt. About 1 tsp a day in total. I know that not having enough salt is important because you can become dehydrated without realising it because you do not feel thirsty, even though you've been sweating and peeing it all out. I experienced this but luckily did not get sick. I just got night cramps in my legs.

Whenever i eat my favourite japanese food when i go to the city i have a major weight hike overnight because asian food as well as most takeaway stuff is very high in salt. Cheese is high in salt. Processed foods are high in salt.

I am now not so bothered by the yo yo of my weight.
Other reasons i've seen for my water weight increase is menstruation
but for the most part i think the fluctuations have to do with salt and water and so i watch the scales go up and down massively sometimes and don't take it too seriously.

If you want to understand it better do some searches on the way the body regulates and salt and fluid levels in the body. I think its important for dieters to have some understanding of this because of way we read the scales and how that affects our moods.

For me i would be scared to do it only once a month because i might choose a bad day to do it and mistakenly think i'd lost no weight when i had if i was holding a lot of water that night.

Anyway look after your mood. Keep optimistic. Don't give up. You are on the right path.

Another thing that keeps my weight up overnight - usually over a few days is because i don't go to the loo every day so i get an increase from that. My depression meds cause that problem. And since i read that article about seratonin yesterday i now understand how and why my meds cause it.
Pattience- so glad you have joined us! I really love reading your posts and you have posted some great ideas as well as advice. I hope you continue to stay with our happy group, we may be small, but everyone here including yourself is helpful, caring, compassionate, and fun to post with. I think I will add your "lack of a trip to the loo" as one of the other reasons why a big gain can happen overnight. That used to happen to my best friend alot, she was on and still is on a laxative. She has lost almost 100 pounds, but sadly, her diet is still not very good- much better than before, but she still needs to get more healthy foods in her, especially fiber. She always jokes about how whenever she eats at my house, she gets a good cleaning out and feels better afterwards, to a point where she doesn't need her laxative that day. I always cooks lots of veggies and we always have a bunch of fruit on our table in a basket, and she chows away on it all. I keep telling her to increase her fiber, but I am so proud of her for her weight loss- she looks wonderful, the best I have ever seen her look in the 31 years we've been friends. Oh, and she did it all on processed foods- she doesn't cook at all, but she still did it.

I just want to say, thank you to all of you for your kind comments and compliments, but honestly, you have ALL helped me in more ways than I can count. From sharing recipes and food ideas, discussing our medical issues and working them out together, discussing exercise, but most of all, just the warm and caring support towards myself as well as to each other has just been amazing and so very very helpful. This is my all time favorite thread on here besides the comical old hula hoop thread 6 years ago (wow, I've been here a long time, lol!). I enjoy reading everyone's post every day, and I look forward to reading all of your posts in the future. Please keep them coming!

While I still have some energy left in me, I am going to clip out some exercises from various Fitness magazines, Woman's World, Prevention, etc, and put them in an old photo album that I have never used to keep them on hand. Years ago, I did this, and what a fun and great tool it was for me to help trim and tone. I pick out exercises that I know I can and want to do, and it is amazing just how many there are out there. I can remember having over 60 or so different exercises in my old album, unfortunately, it got damaged in a flood in our basement, and I just never made another one. So I am going to start doing that tonight, and add to it as I find them in the different magazines I buy. Have a great night, all, and looking forward to catching up with you tomorrow!

Last edited by Steelslady; 03-18-2014 at 02:30 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:57 AM   #119  
Going down, my way!

One last post, before I got to bed, I promise. You'll all be begging me to shut up after this.

I just wanted to list some natural diuretic foods and beverages so folks have a handy reference to choose from, if they want to help flush out the water weight. Just remember, drink plenty of water so you don't get dehydrated not only when eating/drinking natural diuretic foods and beverages, but also to prevent constipation on this high fiber diet. I love Glaceau Smart Water- it is distilled and has electrolytes in it and tastes fabulous. I wish I could drink it all the time, but it is a bit expensive. I drink it a few times a week when I can afford it.

Anyhow, here is the list, starting with the beverages-

green tea
cranberry juice
apple cider vinegar
dandelion tea
nettle tea
fennel tea

veggies and fruits-

artichokes
asparagus
beets
cabbage
carrots
celery
chives
cucumbers
chives
fennel
fig
garlic (great for allergies and asthma, too)
horseradish (yummy on a roast beef sandwich!)
lettuce
mangoes
watermelon
parsley
papayas
peaches
pumpkin
oats
strawberries
tomatoes
watercress

I can attest to cabbage being a great diuretic, only I didn't know until tonight how great it is. I had two cups of it tonight, 5.6 grams of fiber, and let's just say, I think I am in for a long night in the loo thanks to the cabbage and my fluid pill!
Good night again, I promise I am done for the night!
Old 03-18-2014, 02:10 AM   #120  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Lilian, i am very glad to hear you are not giving up. On us or on the fibre. Its a good decision.

steelslady, thanks for your kind words. I think you must be a very sweet person.

Shame about your friend needing to take laxatives daily. I feel scared of the idea of doing something like that. I don't know why really because i have to take my meds every day. For a while when my diet wasnt so good i did try psyllium fibre which is a food type laxative if you like with no calories. But ultimately i got sick of that. i't sure bugs me that i can't go to the loo as readily as everyone else who's eating as well as me. Oh of course i never have any trouble when i'm not dieting because then there's so much crap in my system, it can't help but come out, right? sorry that's probably too much information.

I can't remember what i said in my last post and i'm rather too lazy to go back and look.

Anyway two days in a row i started a new brekky, as we say in Australia, in order to get more protein coming in. And i'm loving it but i don't know how long i will be able to keep on doing it. Usually out of laziness i need to return to cereal-in-bowl-with-milk type breakfast. But for now i'm trying as hard as i can to make my food balance as best as possible. So i'm having one fried egg on one wholegrain toast with a smidgeon of butter.

And second course is 1/2 cup of the best quality yoghurt i can find - that means the only one that does not put cream in it and which is not low fat. (our dairy food industry has basically been ruined by the low fat trend that we've had to put up with for some time now.) Oh yes, so yoghurt with a pear and 1tsp of sunflower seeds.

I tell you that last little bit was so yummy i was highly tempted to go back for more. BUT I DIDN'T.

And of course coffee with goats milk. I"m making a slight switch from lots of cows milk and less yoghurt to lots of yoghurt and some goats milk. its quite pricey so i don't really want to consume more than 1 litre a week - i.e. five times the price of cows milk here. I'll probably consume a cup of goats milk a day or a bit more. I like to keep my dairy up for the calcium.

Today i made another split pea soup. I made a good discovery about it. Its a great way to use up vegies that are starting to fade. So at the last minute i added the rest of last weeks bunch of celery and two carrots. I hate to say it but i am guilty of normally throwing lots of food out. Maybe now i can manage it better.

So food today is, briefly,

fried egg on toast with yoghurt and pear and seeds
bean salad including leaves and celery and tomato, fetta and walnuts
pea soup including onion, celery carrot
coffee all day and a bit of water
glass of wine like about now
must walk the dog today and then
choir tonight - haven't done enough practice.
got a new credit card to help me resolve some financial issues
did a tiny bit of sewing so

all up i'm coming better than last few weeks when things have been messy. This means its probably coming round time to me focusing on a calorie deficit again.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote