General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:28 AM   #376  

Going to make some Volumetrics soup today. I love the idea of not having to feel hungry all the time. Reading the book, I was surprised to read that boneless skinless chicken breast is listed as a more calorie dense than turkey breast--MFP and my own experience are otherwise.
Limiting chicken is going to be a big challenge, but long overdue. The amount I eat since being a low carber is expensive and possibly not the best choice from a nutrient standpoint.

Last edited by Sundove; 01-27-2016 at 11:28 AM.
Sundove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:31 AM   #377  
lovemylife001

S/C/G: 180/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7

Hi Everyone

Sundove I was also surprised about the chicken breast. According to my book it's medium density coming in at 1.7 The turkey breast is 1.6 so not too much better. Today I made tuna muffins which I have made in the past. They are so tasty That will be my lunch.
lovemylife001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:50 AM   #378  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

You can stretch your chicken by using it in a stir fry or adding 50% veggies to any chicken dish (like 1lb for an 8-12 serving casserole, soup, stew, curry, burritos), or you can pound out and stuff your chicken breasts with veggies.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:31 PM   #379  
lovemylife001

Thanks Munchy,

For dinner I made sautéed chicken breast with mushrooms and spinach. I can't wait to eat it I have found that stretching it out like you said is the best option. I don't want to give up chicken, so I'll keep eating it with my veggies. And it's very filling.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:59 AM   #380  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylife001 View Post
Hi Everyone

Sundove I was also surprised about the chicken breast. According to my book it's medium density coming in at 1.7 The turkey breast is 1.6 so not too much better. Today I made tuna muffins which I have made in the past. They are so tasty That will be my lunch.
lovemylife Those tuna muffin sound great!

Thanks for this info---it looks as if there isn't much difference between chicken and turkey. Maybe they are higher density due to low water content? The idea of water content vs simple calorie content is really interesting!

Munchy You are brilliant for figuring this out on your own!!!!!

I'm taking it slowly, trying out recipes. The Volumetric soup in the book is really good, and keeps me feeling full, which is just what I have been searching for. It's tricky for me due to short meal breaks at work.

Last edited by Sundove; 01-30-2016 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:59 AM   #381  

How's it going, everyone?!

Same here - no changes, good or bad. I'm an expert at maintaining, lol! I just wish I would buckle down and maintain at 10lbs less
Old 02-02-2016, 10:01 AM   #382  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundove View Post
Munchy You are brilliant for figuring this out on your own!!!!!
Aww

I'll tell you the truth. The reason why I started putting so many vegetables into everything was because I wanted to save money (particularly on meat) AND it is extremely important to me that my child gets that nutrition. It was a natural solution...plus soup is my favorite food!
Old 02-03-2016, 10:32 AM   #383  

So far so good, Munchy! I'm going slowly with it right now, just using the brocc/cauli/carrot soup to keep hunger in check. It is soooo good!
Old 02-03-2016, 10:54 AM   #384  
lovemylife001

Good Morning Everyone

I'm actually doing pretty good. I love Volumetrics so far. I did have a few cravings this week due to TOM, ugh. I too love soup and find that it really keeps me satisfied longer.

Munchy I hope that I can become an expert on maintaining lol. That's what I'm striving for.

Sundove

Have a great day everyone!
Old 02-03-2016, 11:58 AM   #385  

This weekend I have a few things to make for the freezer. I feel like I've been so off with batch cooking lately. My husband has started to cook a lot more meat, so I just roast 2 vegetables (I trim/prep when I get home from the store) and we have dinner and also leftovers for lunches. I don't need to batch cook quite as much. However, this weekend I will make and freeze:

-Spicy tomato blue cheese soup
-Jalapeno popper soup
-Chicken/zucchini nuggets
-Turkey/zucchini meatballs
-Turkey chili (I add in tons of veggies, even a can of pumpkin!)
Old 02-03-2016, 12:10 PM   #386  
I Can Do This

S/C/G: S 270/C Ticker/MiniGoal#1 170

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post

-Spicy tomato blue cheese soup
-Jalapeno popper soup
-Chicken/zucchini nuggets
-Turkey/zucchini meatballs
-Turkey chili (I add in tons of veggies, even a can of pumpkin!)
Munchy - I'm still crossing my fingers that you find time for a blog. In the meantime, could you post recipes/links for the first four items on the list. The idea of tomato/blue cheese soup already has my mouth watering!
Vickie Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:42 PM   #387  

Of course! The tomato soup is the best one ever. I've been making it for probably 7 years. I double it and it freezes great! I always swap the cream for 2% evaporated milk and I use any blue cheese I have - not roth kase. I do ALWAYS use san marzanos, though!

Michael Symons Spicy Tomato Blue Cheese Soup

The jalapeno popper soup is one I've had in my MFP recipe log, but I haven't made it yet. I love my soups to be really rich, as you can see.

Jalapeno Popper Soup

The next two are ones that I developed when my little one was a very little one and I keep them on hand in my freezer all the time. When we run low, I just make another batch and I always make them at the same time since they cook at the same temp and time.

Chicken/squash nuggets:
Shred 1-2 yellow squash or zucchini and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Mix with 1lb ground chicken, 1 egg, seasoning, form into “nuggets” and bread with your choice of bread crumb. Bake at 425 for 15-18 minutes on a lightly greased cooling rack on a cookie sheet. Cool and freeze on a cookie sheet. Once frozen, transfer to a labeled freezer bag. To serve, microwave until thawed or thaw then broil both sides for a crisp exterior.

Turkey/zucchini meatballs:
Shred 1-2 zucchini and squeeze most of the liquid out. Mix with 1lb ground turkey, 1 egg, seasoning, parmesan cheese, and choice of bread crumb. Bake at 425 for 15-18 minutes. Cool and freeze on a cookie sheet. Once frozen, transfer to a labeled freezer bag. To serve, microwave until thawed or simmer in sauce.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:59 PM   #388  
I Can Do This

S/C/G: S 270/C Ticker/MiniGoal#1 170

Height: 5' 5"

OH...haven't even looked at the recipe yet but I adore Michael Symon! I love his giggle.

Thanks so much for the recipes! It's been chillier than ususal here and we've been eating lots of soups. I need to expand my repertoire.
Vickie Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:42 PM   #389  

Oh wow thanks yet again Munchy! Do you have favorite freezer containers, e.g. glass vs plastic, etc? Sometimes I totally overthink these things.

lovemylife! Looks like you are doing a great job maintaining! Hope you're staying warm!

Vickie Chickie I'm also in SF Bay Area trying to stay warm today! At least it's staying light longer

Have a good week everyone!
Old 02-03-2016, 02:49 PM   #390  

How could I forget I'm also making a kabocha beef stew! I can't wait for that one!