Liquid Diet with Almased

• Hi,

I have been on a mainly liquid diet for two weeks using the protien powder Almased and as of this morning I've lost 11.4 pounds. I am almost 50 and this may seem extreme to some but I feel like what I am drinking is far healthier than what I was eating before. I also like the fact that I don't have to deal with making a lot of choices. I am an addict with food and choice is always a dangerous thing for me!

I modified the basic Almased plan (after much research) for the long haul, instead of just mixing with water, I use Almond Milk, sometimes a sweetend chocolate version (though it uses pure cane sugar not processed) and (gasp) a little diet soda! I do eat two cookies a day that I make from a fav low carb recipe, they are made with just peanut butter (1 cup), 1 egg and a mix of coconut sugar & Truvia (1/2 cup), no flour. I use these instead of adding oil (as instructed) to my smoothies.

Below is a break down of what I've been doing:

3 Almased smoothies a day (made with almond milk (chocolate or vanilla and diet soda, frozen fruit, chia seeds & fiber supplement)
    2 peanut butter low carb cookies or 3 tablespoons of peanut butter
    1 cup soup made with 1/2 tomato, 1/2 broth and a little goat cheese
    1-2 cup(s) coffee
    As much tea & water as I want
    1 dark chocolate candy if desired before bed

The amazing thing is I am not hungry... at ALL and have plenty of energy. I have always gotten shaky if I go more than 4 or 5 hours without eating, not now.

Now I am planning to add 1 to 2 meals a week, mainly to allow me a little flexibility. The biggest drawback is that the shakes are not really portable. They need to be made with very cold ingredients and consumed immediately. I am luck, I work from home but it limits my other activities...

I will admit I am hesitant about this, since things are going so well. I am planning on making one smoothie a green juice, still using the Almased but combining it with kale, cucumbers etc...

I think any good protien powder could work, I like this option cause it's easy to get and it's working! I order through Amazon. I will note that I see a lot of debate on there on how much you use and how long it will last. I found one canister, doing 6 level tbls (as I am 5.6 and over that height you are suppose to use 7-8) last me 2 weeks at least... on the site some people say only 4 or 5 days! All I can think is they are using too much, not level tablespoons...!

Anyone else doing this or something similar?
  • Wow, no one?
  • I have seen the Almased advertised in magazines, but I just don't know if I could do a mostly liquid diet. I'm not home much so making the shakes would be a problem for me. 11.4 pounds in two weeks is great, especially if you're not feeling like you're starving. Good luck! Keep us posted.
  • Thanks Mandy! It is tough if you are not home a lot. However there are a lot of ways to do this program, you can do it kind of like slimfast, two smoothies a day and 1 healthy meal...actually that is what they suggest, the full liquid plan is only suggested for 3-14 days to kick start your plan.

I made some modifications that I think make it substantial enough to go longer...

Today, at Trader Joes I bought a few high protein bars to have handy for when I can't do a shake and also some greens to make a "mean green" version. I had that one for lunch and it was good.

I also looked at their protein powders, I am not set on just this brand...

Oh and today I was able to easily get on a pair of pants I could not zip when I bought them!
  • I am coming up on 3 weeks this Monday and I have to say it feels a little odd to know I have not eaten an actual meal in all that time. The oddest part being that I feel fine, in fact I feel really good! I think I miss the emotional attachment to food more than the food itself. I had planned to allow myself 2 meals a week starting this week but have not had any yet.

I have not been in a social situation where I felt it was the only option. I did have a protein bar Wednesday morning instead of my smoothie cause I was running late for an appointment and did not have time to make one. I have also started making a "mean green" version to incorporate more veggies into my diet.

For this I use a handful of kale, 1/2 a persian cucumber (they are small), some parsley, frozen pineapple & or blueberries, chia seeds and a serving of the Almased. I then add cold diet ginger ale and if I want a little unsweetened vanilla almond milk.

Next weekend I am attending a small family party at a ritzy hotel brunch buffet!
    That will be challenging, I have been to it before and there are lots of healthy options, so I think I'll be ok.
  • Well, I am down 3.4 more pounds for a total of 14.8 in 3 weeks. I am very pleased, I have done hardly any exercise during this time! I did have two very light meals over the weekend, one each Sat & Sun. Yesterdays was around 4:30, I got a late start to the whole day so, I did not have a 3rd meal (which would have been a smoothie) at all...

I am still astounded at my lack of appetite! I know it may seem extreme to some but I feel like it is pretty balanced over all and if your committed easy to follow.
    Even though I have not gotten much feedback or support here, it still helps to write it down and maybe someone will get something out of my post...
  • Are you still using the Almased? I am just beginning to use it.
  • Congrats
    I just started Almased today and found this link when I was looking for recipes. Was soooo hungry today and fell off really bad tonight. 14 lbs is amazing. Congrats to you! Tomorrow is a new day. Thanks for the inspiration!
  • Hi all, I just started Almased this past Monday and lost 5 pounds this week. I agree with Cuechick. I have been doing 3 smoothies a day and feel great! Not hungry at all! I'm curious though how much have you lost to date and are you still using Almased?
  • I'm thinking about doing 3 day refresh starting tomorrow as it will help me feel better around the TOM. It's 3 smoothies, fibre drink, and some food (problem is I have leftovers in the fridge to eat). I guess I will have to attempt to freeze them and see how they turn out.

As I don't like my protein powder on its own this should be interesting - I guess I will adjust to the taste as I already have (not liking protein at all to begin with and now I love my protein smoothies just usually with stuff!)

Anyone else want to do something like this?
  • I did a 12 day fast on Almased at the beginning of this year and lost 9 pounds. Unfortunately, I went off the fast and right back to eating the way I was. I am starting the fast again today and this time I am going to stick to the plan.

I did the Ideal Protein Diet for 4 months two years ago and dropped 37 pounds, but that was a very strict program and hard to keep up.

I am determined this time to lose the weight and work to keep it off.
  • I started fast today and can say I am not hungry at all I had 3 shakes and some vegetable broth I have some energy also I am very surprised
  • Pure cane sugar is processed! It grows in canes, juice is extracted and it is boiled down and crystalized. It is no healthier than any other sugar.
  • I think Almase is a great product. I am doing the Ideal Protein Diet for two days. It is a very strict program and it is hard for me to keep up. I hope I make it!

My Amazon seller, abnehmende, sent me two recipes, Healthy Colada and Power Berry. I think they are delicious yet low in calories. :-)
  • I'm on my 10th day of using Almased.
    I haven't had any weight loss at all though I am not doing 3 shakes a day, I am eating one meal a day with two shakes.
    I do feel hungry between shakes and by dinner I am SO amazingly hungry. Starving actually.
    I find the shakes to be filling at first but a couple hours go by and I'm feeling a bit hungry.
    I am not eating soup or drinking other things except water during the day.
    I am 42 and don't lose weight easily since turning 38.
    I run 10-12 miles a week also.
    I'm not sure how long I can continue this but will at least go through the end of September.
    If I haven't lost even a couple pounds I will stop the using it.