General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 12:03 PM   #391  
yogini99

S/C/G: 137/125/123

Height: 5'6"

Ms. Snark- you go!
I also hate counting calories....however, I do it on fast days, and sometimes on Fast 5 because I consistently underestimate what I am eating. Ugh!!
Old 06-06-2014, 12:04 PM   #392  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I just did a little reading on Fast Five and the 5:2 diet and I could never follow it without further guidelines. I simply would overeat.

First, the 5:2 would be really hard with having to cook and prepare food for the family. That's twice a week that I would have to eat nothing all day and then a small dinner.

Fast Five made me guffaw out loud. Eat within a 5 hour time frame? Ok, that's fine, but I could easily eat 4000-5000 calories during that time and not feel FULL.

I can only do this intermittent fasting thing if done ALONGSIDE counting calories (and watching my carbs). I simply don't have a "that's enough food" button.

As is, most night I eat a 900-1000 calorie dinner and I COULD very easily eat more! That's with me LIMITING the dinner size. How about, "Fast 30 minutes?" That's about more my speed.

No wonder I have had a weight problem my whole adult life!
Old 06-06-2014, 12:12 PM   #393  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Mrs Snark, that sounds like a great plan! Counting calories on a fast day isn't so bad. I actually tend to eat the same thing every fast day, so I don't really have to count anymore which is a bonus.

bbb - Funny how different we all are. I will say that on just 5:2, I consistently overate on "feast" days, which is why I added Fast 5 into the mix. With an eating window I find I'm more likely to reach that "I'm full! No more!" moment than when I eat throughout the day. It's crazy. I am glad you've found what's worked for you even if you do have to count calories.

The separate meal thing does get annoying on 500 cal days, but I've learned some cheats so that I'm not preparing a completely separate meal. But, I don't have kids, it's just me and the bf, so it's much easier to sometimes say "Sorry, not cooking for you tonight!" I think I'd get the "worst mom of the year" award if I said that to my non-existent kids. ha!
Old 06-06-2014, 12:12 PM   #394  
yogini99

S/C/G: 137/125/123

BBB- hilarious! I do have those times where I am like- seriously? I am still STARVING!! I could eat five times the amt I just ate! However, I am noticing that if I wait, it always passes. I guess that's why they say to stop eating before you are full. A foreign concept to me....maybe there is something to it.
It's great that you are figuring out something that works for you and is sustainable!!!!
Old 06-06-2014, 12:21 PM   #395  
Melissa

Yes... stop eating before you are full - that could be 2000 calories instead of 4000. Still too much.

That is why everyone has to find what works for them!

BTW... I got 10 pounds of strawberries in 35 minutes today. So easy and fast!
Old 06-06-2014, 12:29 PM   #396  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

BBB: It took a while for my appetite to decrease and I have nowhere near the appetite I used to have when I started trying to eat better a year ago.

However, I still listen to my brain and not my stomach when it comes to meals. My brain seems to know what an appropriate portion is without counting calories.

My tummy, well, that's a whole different story. It basically doesn't have an OFF switch. So while I don't count calories, I also don't eat "to fullness" either. I eat what my brain said to put on the plate and that's it.

Does that make any sense?

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 06-06-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:14 PM   #397  

S/C/G: 246/201.2/150

Height: 5' 3"

Lightenup - I know a few posters on here (and I really can't remember their "names" but they have been doing it for years. For me Fast 5 is easier than ESE, because my body has adjusted to not eating during the day, where with ESE, it never did. Not to say that ESE doesn't work for some, it just wasn't for me.

I agree about the black and white of Fast 5. They constantly have celebrations at work but I don't eat because I can't, it's not time yet.

ETA: I don't have a that's enough button either and before I know it I was so full it made me sick. That's why I count calories, that and I feel good seeing I only had say 1200 calories today and I am satisfied...something I could never say with CR alone.

Last edited by wvuchick; 06-06-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:22 PM   #398  

S/C/G: 272/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for the welcome! I have 11 kids, with 8 still living at home. Most of them are going to college but as of this month my three youngest are in high school. I follow a diet called Trim Healthy Mama which separates healthy carbs from healthy fats. I started it in January after following a low carb gluten free diet. I love it and the recipes that fit in with my low/healthy carb gluten free diet but I seem to be stuck. I'm seeing some movement with the 16/8 fast but I will be looking into the 5:2 to see if that is something I can do with my diabetes (type 2) So far I'm not having any problem exercising in the morning before my eating window opens up at all.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #399  
I heart 3FC

S/C/G: 210/197/135

Height: 5'2" Age: 28

Hi all! I'm thinking of starting IF officially. I've sort of been slowly transitioning to it (my preference for not much throughout the day and a large dinner is I think quite similar to berryblondeboys'). I will try to post here often, as 3FC is a constant source of motivation and support for me, even when I'm just lurking.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:53 AM   #400  

S/C/G: 203/197/145

Good morning all. I weighed in this morning 5.8lbs lighter, I'm so excited.

Lightenup, I do not eat my exercise calories (at least not intentionally). All of the counting and tracking tend to be a lil stressful for me, so I don't bother especially not while I'm seeing results.

I hope you all have a great weekend!
Old 06-07-2014, 03:04 PM   #401  

S/C/G: 272/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

whoo hoo!! ShaMac! I am not a counter either, when I start counting I start obsessing. I have can foods and can't foods and an eating window.

Today I ate at 11:30 (I'm on a 16/8 and I stopped eating at 6:30 last night) not much though 1 hard boiled egg and 4 strawberries before my workout. I felt lousy! I've been doing my 5 mile walk before my eating window opens and do fine. Not sure if it was the heat or the food but I think I'll go back to early walk before food!
Old 06-07-2014, 04:19 PM   #402  
16/8

S/C/G: 153/151.8/133

Lotsakids--Wow, you're not kidding, 11 kids! That's quite the big family, but I'll bet it's been fun! And a lot of work ;-) I'm right now waiting around for my husband to get home so I can go and run before I eat. I know once I eat I won't feel like it the rest of the night.

ShaMac--Awesome on the 5.8 lbs!

justkeepswimming--Welcome! I'm pretty new here myself, but also new to 3FC. What type of fasting plan are you leaning towards?

I got crazy this morning and had some dark chocolate with my coffee. That's one of my downfalls, and something I've had to skip in the mornings. But I haven't had anything else yet today, and my window opens in about an hour. It was more difficult not to eat more today, probably due to the extra sugar and calories from the chocolate. It's amazing how those blood sugar levels can affect how you feel!
Old 06-08-2014, 10:15 PM   #403  

S/C/G: 203/197/145

Thanks lotsofkids and lightenup! Welcome just keep swimming!
Old 06-09-2014, 08:56 AM   #404  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

just keep swimming Welcome and good luck with your transition to IF! Sounds like it will be very fitting for you.

lotsakids Maybe you just didn't have enough water? Either way, sounds like it's best to stick to your usual plan I know I have unexplainable crummy workouts sometimes.

Seems like the theme for this week in my house is going to be seafood! Which I am fine with. It's been hot so I look forward to eating light...it just happened to be what I picked up at the store. Salmon, crab meat and shrimp. Definitely need to lighten it up after my slightly over-indulgent weekend.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:05 AM   #405  
Melissa

Morning all - back to a regular week and not the battles of weekend eating. Not that I didn't enjoy having a big, hearty breakfast, but it meant salads for dinner instead of the whole meal the rest of the family was eating.

Scale is going down little by little, but I might be weird in being glad it's Monday.
Closed Thread