General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 10:05 AM   #106  

Jello, did you check out that site?

I'm doing payroll, be back later.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:25 AM   #107  

Monday again. Weekends go too fast.

Jello, peel and stick to old *itches bumper. Can you go to the hospital before the actual "day" and find where you need to go?

Speaking of hospitals....my aunt is in the hospital right now. She fell and broke her hip and wrist. She's only 56, but she's overweight. She had problems with a foot sugery that never healed right, twisted a knee up really bad....her weight has probably played a factor in all of these problems.
LETS TAKE CARE OF OURSELVES GIRLS!

I'm heading out to check out the storm damage. We got pounded again last night.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:02 PM   #108  

Hello, Ladies! Thank you all for taking me back.

Lost 3 pounds last week so I'm back on track. It's been so humid the last 2 days I can't walk so I'm doing my stationary bike instead. Doing a little free weights and bands as well. Feels good!

I tell you, as long as I cut the carbs I do great...don't get hungry and fill up pretty fast. Carbs make me hungry! After I paid the RDA all that money, you'd think I'd follow her advice better.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:54 PM   #109  
DNW

Talking Yeah...Quilter's Back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quilter: So very glad to hear from you....and you know we all slip, slop, and slide from time to time... I am also going somewhat low carb, although it's not Atkins by a long shot...and finding it's easier because I am not hungry all the time. Carbs make me ravenous too! My new favorite protein shake is made with sugar free protein from Puritan's Pride, a fresh, ripe Mango, 2 cups of skim milk, 3 Splenda, and 1/2 to a full tray of ice cubes. Yummy, fill and my favorite there is alot to drink so I fill less deprived!!! Also cuts down my food thoughts because I am not flooded with taste bud sensations. Mango is sort of mellow and non-commital in a shake. So what kind of exercise bands do you use?

Tig: Hope you didn't any damage and I hear you about your aunt...my sister has terrible problems with her knees do to her weight.

Semo: Loved those bed slippers...if I ever have a guestroom you know what I will be putting under the bed for there little feeties!!

Faye: Happy upcoming 50th!!

Jello: I am wishing you a very fast and speedy recovery...don't worry about where to go when you get to the hospital they usually know at the front desk exactly where you need to be.

Please don't be shy about get a shot if you are in pain in the recovery room. Here's a tip: If you call your doctor or his nurse this week, do tell him you want to make sure there is an order for a shot for pain in his orders for post-op. Sometimes these docs scoot out of the hospital really fast and then if you need a shot they have to track them down. This way it's already in the paperwork.

Additionally, mention you would like an anti-nausea drug list in the pre-op orders, just in case. They can give it to you right in the IV they will be putting in your arm when you go in for the procedure. Generally you get a Versaed or Valium IV to relax you for the procedure so the addition of the anti-nuasea drug is not an extra needle or anything, they just piggyback it into the IV. You'll also meet the anasethesiologist right before surgery and should also mention anti-nausea medication to him/her. You may not need it (and there are no side effects) but it's good to have just in case. I had several minor same day surgeries and never had a problem, then there was the time I got a cyst removed from my foot and they had to change from local to general anesthesia in the middle of the operation because apparently I was moving around and I woke up in recovery retching...luckily I hadn't eaten since the night before so it was more of a gag reflex...but still yucky. Needless to say now I make sure I get an antinausea drug and I am never ill post op.

Good luck it will be over before you know and you will be dancing in the streets...or just excercising at Curves....you choose!!

Big smooches to everyone else...I am back on the wagon and really trying hard to lose, lose, lose.....and as Tig says it's about our health!!

Last edited by DNW; 07-21-2003 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-21-2003, 07:01 PM   #110  

Jello: We are all thinking about you and praying for you even now before you go in! You keep working on a positive attitude and you will come out of it A-Ok!

DNW: Sounds like you are working hard to stay OP! Good for you!

Tiger: I posted this on a couple other threads, but it definitely bears repeating. Your aunts problems concur with this:

Did anyone watch the Oprah episode or tape it a couple months ago where she had all the people on that lost a ton of weight? There was one man who was the very last one on the show who had weighed 850 lbs. He had destroyed his legs because of his weight, was bedridden, and hadn't been out of his house in like 20 years. He had gastric bypass (was told there was a 60% chance he would die!) and lost like 520 lbs. He looked wonderful. He had gone to Disneyworld for the first time and did several things we take for granted that he had never done or seen. Well, they re-aired the show today and at the end they posted a notice that approx 3 weeks ago he died of congestive heart failure. I know there are a lot of us here that only have 20-40 lbs to lose and do not have these concerns in their lives, only to lose the weight to look better, but I speak for myself now when I say, these are things I have to face in my life! To think that I could be where he is if I am not serious! I weighed half what he did anyway! It should be a wake up call to us all that our health is fragile and we need to protect it and that includes watching our weight. This filled me with sadness that a man who had given up on life and wanted to die, was reborn only to lose his life because of past bad habits! I hope this helps us to stay on program and get ourselves healthy for our spouses, our children and any of those who love us, but most of all for ourselves! LET'S BE GOOD TO OURSELVES LADIES AND LOSE THIS WEIGHT ONCE AND FOR ALL!

Quilter: You sound like you are again really motivated. That's great!

Well ladies, I need to do a couple more things this evening. My kitty upchucked all over the entranceway so I had to wash my rugs and mop the floor again this evening (of course, I cleaned house today! ) He seems to be ok so I think it was something he got into and ate! I don't know what hairballs look like, but it didn't look like hair at all!

Faye
Old 07-22-2003, 08:43 AM   #111  
Long Lost Chickie

Aw shucks, thanks you guys! I knew I'd get lots of love and support here. I must admit that I've started dreaming about this surgery and being in the hospital. No really bad nightmares but enough to stress me out even more. Interesting. Five years ago, I went into the hospital to have my tubes tied. When I woke up, I thought I was in recovery and would be going home in a few hours. Then they told me they'd found the tumor and had to do more surgery and take the ovary and I'd be there for a few days etc. etc. I was so groggy that when I woke up again later, I had to ask a nurse if it was real or if I'd dreamed it. Point of this is that I didn't have time to fret and obsess and worry about it before it happened. It was better that way. I've just got to take my mind off it if possible. Yeah, right.

Tiger, actually, I'm going to the hospital for pre-op tests on the day before the surgery. Then they'll tell me (I hope!) what time I have to be there for the actual surgery the next day. Glad Rich will be driving but I worry about him finding his way back to visit me and deal with some really bad traffic up that way, etc. Yeah, yeah, Jello's fretting too much again. Just because I have a really really reeeeealllllly bad sense of direction doesn't mean everyone else does too.

DNW, thanks for the info! The pain doesn't worry me too much. I have a pretty high threshold for it. But I remember the nausea from the last time. Yuck. I never thought of asking about medication for it before hand.

Faye, your posts never fail to make me think. (And I'm talking about the man on the Oprah show, not the cat barfing! ) I didn't see that Oprah show, wish I had. But it does make one pause and think about what this extra weight is doing to our bodies. I had problems with my knees a few years ago and the doctor, as politely as he possibly could, told me it was because my legs were having trouble supporting my extra weight. Made sense. Best thing to do would be to lose weight.

Yeah, Jello, and that was how many years ago....???

Rich and I actually had a discussion this morning. There was yet another "miracle diet pill" commercial on the radio and I said that the only "real" way to lose weight was to eat right, drink plenty of water and get some exercise.

Wish there was a magical diet drug or pill but, guess what, there isn't. Get over it Jello and get your act together. Yes, I was trying to convince myself more than anyone else. Wish I could just smack myself on the back of the head, shout "Wise Up Girlie!!" and get back on track. For good.

OK there's the plan. Um, how to do this....???????????
Old 07-22-2003, 09:18 AM   #112  

Good Morning and hello, hello, hello. The end of the month cut off is Friday and you know how rushed we get durning this time. Ugh, was I the one complaining in December and January because I had nothing to do! Yikes, never again. I think if I ever leave this job, I'm gonna flip hamburgers or something, well maybe tofu burgers! Surely there wouldn't be much stress in that!

Jello, you will be fine, thinking about it is always worse. No one looks forward to surgery but it has to be done. If you want PM us the hospital and address and we'll load you down with get well wishes.

I read the SugarBusters book, it really doesnt' give you much guidance but it's really just eating healthy. There's a thead here and I've been asking some questions. I't pretty much what I've been doing already so I don't see that it would be hard to follow.

Gotta run girls, have a great day.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:42 AM   #113  

Another rainy day here. I'm trying to look on the positive side...it's good for the pond. Oh, and good for the flowers...good for me cuz I don't have to spend my time watering.

Jello, You are SO right. Water, eat right and exercise. It's so simple...yet so difficult. I could definately use that smack on the back of the head. WAKE UP GIRLIE!

Faye, I think I saw that episode of Oprah when it first aired. Even though I only (I use that word losely) have 40ish pounds to loose, I can already feel the effects of the extra weight on my body. My feet ache, my knees, I don't sleep well, I get tired easy. And yes, I'd like to look better too.

I need to get a grip before I start to gain again. Once I hit 200, I've managed to keep it just under that. Dropping as low at the 175ish...only to pop back up. I'm treading water and it's time to swim! Swim little fishies, swim!
Old 07-22-2003, 10:04 AM   #114  

Good Morning, girls.

I'm back in black. Haven't read all the posts yet but it looks like Jello's surgery is coming up quick.. Like everyone, I'll be thinking about you and sending you all kinds of good vibes!

I had a nice weekend, albeit busy. It's always a little odd coming back to work after 4 or more days off, makes me wonder what I'm doing it for. Oh yeah, the money.

I enjoyed your post, Faye about that Oprah show. Yes, it's for our health, not just for kicks. That's why I have to try, try again. I've got a little more to lose than Tiger, I'm still running a bit over 2 bills and I'm shorter. The first time I did my BMI online and was told it was very likely I would DIE younger from complications of obesity if something didn't change - what a shocker!! Somehow it's hard to keep in the front of my mind that this is as important for my future as quitting smoking is for some people. I keep forgetting! How could I? I'm carrying it around, for pity's sake!

Anywho, I've got work to catch up on and posts to catch up on... so I'm out.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:58 AM   #115  

2 bills. Reminds me of when DH weighed "a buck fifty". He's happy to have brought it up to 170. Pround of the love handles. Only a man could feel that way. I would love to weigh less than him.

So what is it that makes some people "snap" and finally loose the weight for good? It's not a magic pill we are looking for or a magic plan...it's a magic BRAIN CELL!

I'm off to bag/freeze blueberries. The other day my munchkins picked 20 pounds! They usually eat and throw more than they put in the bucket. Don't know what got into them.

Oh, and it's that time of year again....I have poison itch on my hand. Ivy, oak, sumac? I don't know. But I had to take my wedding ring off cuz my finger is swollen. I'm such a freak. All the stupid stuff happens to me. At least my lawnmower accident sores are all healed up. Again,

Old 07-22-2003, 03:07 PM   #116  

Hello:

Still one handed(lol) but still lurking!

Jello: I would ask what kind of pain med you will be on after surgery--I was supposed to have a morophine pump after mine--didn't happen because they couldn't give me enough morphine in recovery(i had 110) to get me comfortable--i have a very HIGH tolerence to pain meds and they aften don't work for me. Not to worry you, please don't but I have a high pain tolerence as well , but as my Dr. said it is an extremely painful recovery, but in the end it is all worth it! I wish you all the best, mine was only 8 months ago, so I remember it vividly, take lots of time to recover!
Have you checked out "hystersisters"?

sassy
Old 07-22-2003, 03:44 PM   #117  
Long Lost Chickie

Yeah Tiger. Rich got on the scale the other day and I peeked. It's official. I weigh more than my DH. So if you find/create that magic brain cell, !!! Sorry to hear about the itchies. Someone whispers the words "poison ivy" within a 5 mile radius of me and I catch it!

Sassy, I was supposed to have morphin after they took my ovary 5 years ago but told them I didn't want it. Yeah, it hurt like crazy for a while but I stuck with the Extra Strength Tylenol. Hoping it won't be too much worse. I was talking today to a friend who had both her kids by C-section. She was giving me tips too. Guess I'll just have to wait and see. BTW, what's hystersisters??

Well, we had a major storm blow through last night and lightning fried one of our computer servers. Been having problems all day and the IT Manager is pulling out his hair. More isolated thunder storms on the radar for tonight. They're calling for hail up to 2 inches in diameter!! Sounds like a good night to get the heck home and stay there!

I've spent a good part of the day showing various people how to do stuff while I'm gone. The last two engineers came up with their notebooks and pens all ready. Geez, all I had to do was show them where some files were on the server. It took all of 3 minutes! I asked them if they brought an apple for the teacher.... They didn't get it. Oh never mind.

Gotta run. Have a good evening all!
Old 07-22-2003, 03:47 PM   #118  

Hey ladies! We had the storm to end all storms this morning! 85 mile an hour winds, temps dripped 25 degrees in about half hour! It was pretty scary. My daughter lost her beautiful pine tree that sits in the corner of their front yard. Thank goodness it didn't hit the house, but was strewn all over the neighborhood I guess. Her section of town got hit hard. She had a tough time getting to work because of downed trees across the road and power was out and she couldn't get gas anywhere and needed it badly she said. We had a power on power off kind of thing and lost cable and dsl most of the day. It just came back up. I had to go out in the stuff to retrieve the patio umbrella and it knocked this big ole lady around pretty good just doing that and it is right outside the door. I went out after the storm because today is garbage day in my ripped, seethrough gross nightshirt and found that the can had taken a trip and not left a forwarding note! I met up with one of the men in the neighborhood who kindly (probably because of how I looked!) went and found it for me! Gave me time to get my upstairs cleaned inbetween power outages. I didn't have much else I could do!

No pool for me today . It is not opened probably because of leaves and branches and such.

Jello: You hang in there sweety, it will all be over soon and then you will be right as rain. Just please take care of yourself and don't get brave and try to do too much. This is one surgery that takes time to get over.

Tiger: I have a huge allergic reaction to the poison vegetation. I have to have shots and the whole nine yards. I never got a case of it until we were living here when Jack was in the Navy and I didn't know that it was poison ivy growing on the fence and I not only pulled it up , but mowed it so I spread that stuff all over the place and the kids and I all got a bad case of it! Boy did I learn my lesson. Is Pertics still the place to pick berries? When I was a kid it was the one kind of fruit I didn't mind going and picking every year because you could stand up! I hated picking strawberries!

Now that we have been suitably shocked over that Oprah show, we are going to be good to ourselves are we not ladies? We are going to make more of an effort to eat right, exercise, and get in the fluids!

Well, dh should be home soon so I better scoot!

Faye
Old 07-22-2003, 04:07 PM   #119  
Long Lost Chickie

Humph!!! I just found the Hystersisters website and poked around a little and decided I wanted to register and be a part of it. Well, I can't. Apparently, you can't register if you have a yahoo email account!!

What a ripoff!!!!

Good thing 3FC is so much more user friendly and a better place to be!!!
Old 07-22-2003, 04:10 PM   #120  

Faye, yes...Pertics is the place. But we were not so lucky to stand up and pick. We got put on the new bushes. Might as well have been picking strawberries. My back was killing me afterwards! And, they hadn't mowed between the rows. Weeds were up to my knees. Not my best experience there. But, the boys had a good time and did a good job picking. Oh, and they have raspberries to pick now too. We didn't get any of those yet.
Last night of baseball and chance of rain AGAIN. Ugh. Hopefully it holds off since it's trophy night 'n all. My parents are coming to the game. Always nice to see them. Dad is feeling better. He's done with chemo and gaining weight.
I'm off to the corner market to get treats for after the game. For the players, not me.
Closed Thread